SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Could we share "Slang" with each other?

Discussion started on

For what it's worth, I picked up a promising MG last week and the MC said, "For God's sake" and I was so offended by it I put it down.

I grew up with family & friends saying this all the time but seeing it in print really put me off. I'm actually surprised I'm so affronted by it - but I hate hearing OMG too, so maybe I'm overly sensitive :eh2
#271 - July 07, 2012, 10:13 AM
http://pippa_bayliss.livejournal.com/
Facebook: Pippa Bayliss
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

C. Lee

For what it's worth, I picked up a promising MG last week and the MC said, "For God's sake" and I was so offended by it I put it down.

I grew up with family & friends saying this all the time but seeing it in print really put me off. I'm actually surprised I'm so affronted by it - but I hate hearing OMG too, so maybe I'm overly sensitive :eh2
I think everybody's so afraid of offending others these days that we're all becoming super sensitive about what we read and write as well.
#272 - September 05, 2012, 12:04 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I want a short catchy way to refer to a plain, dorky girl for a blurb. I was thinking of just using "an 'Ugly Betty,'" as that sort of fits. Would teens still know that phrase? Is just "plain, dorky girl" okay?  Any suggestions?

:thankyou
#273 - September 06, 2012, 10:57 AM

Poster Plus
I want a short catchy way to refer to a plain, dorky girl for a blurb. I was thinking of just using "an 'Ugly Betty,'" as that sort of fits. Would teens still know that phrase? Is just "plain, dorky girl" okay?  Any suggestions?

:thankyou

I don't think the phrase is really used these days but there IS the TV show, if you aren't familiar with it. I am pretty sure readers would know what you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_Betty
#274 - September 10, 2012, 01:15 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Should work if it's in reruns! Thanks.

I don't think the phrase is really used these days but there IS the TV show, if you aren't familiar with it. I am pretty sure readers would know what you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_Betty
#275 - September 10, 2012, 06:21 PM

AnnH, what about "Plain Jane"? People still say that around here.
#276 - September 10, 2012, 07:06 PM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

dking

"Homely" is still used.  It is useable in multi-cultural settings and is not gender specific.

"She needs to get a makeover so she not so homely."

"Dawg, she'll never go out with your homely (other word for donkey)."

#277 - September 25, 2012, 07:07 AM
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:09 AM by dking »

Do people still say "way" something (meaning 'very something'), or is that sounding dated?  Suddenly, I'm staring at this line with a "way" in it and it's looking old school.  For example, "I was way tired."

Definitely don't want to sound trendy, so I'm not looking for the current slang word--just want to avoid sounding dated.  I still use "totally" in this respect, but I've heard people say that sounds too 80s, as well.

I think my own child says "way cool" or whatever, but perhaps because she's heard me say it too many times?
#278 - October 03, 2012, 09:01 AM

AliceMustache

@Jaina, way in that context sounds dated, "I was way too tired" sounds better. Totally also fine when used.

Urbandictionary is a good online source but be forewarned a LOT of those words with have raunchy meanings/origins.

I also think homely is a good word to use. I know my friends and I used to get annoyed when an author would try to hard and have an off "trendy"/"hip" phrase. Teens want to feel like adults and most actually appreciate good vocabulary.

btws, I'm 19 so feel free to disregard what I have to say or take it with a grain of salt because I by no means know everything. :)
#279 - December 27, 2012, 08:04 PM
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:07 PM by Alice Mustache »

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana

Actually in MG books, as well as in some YA books this bothers me also. Most parents do not want their kids to use this language, so we should be careful what we write.  If the parents do not care, that is up to the parents for the kids to learn that most places do not accept certain language.

I recently read a recent adult book on my Nook that I am seriously thinking of deleting because of the language in it.  I am seriously not that sensitive when it comes to adult books when it comes to some language, but this one had a 13 year old running around in it and part of it was about who would take over being the parent.  All I could think of was "seriously, you would use that kind of language and then just turn it off when the kid is around, I don't think so."  Yet part of the book where the kids were in the pizza place the owner would shoot kids in the head if they used bad language and all parents would smile, including the two adults who were supposed to be talking about paternity.
#280 - December 28, 2012, 04:27 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
Do people still say "way" something (meaning 'very something'), or is that sounding dated?  Suddenly, I'm staring at this line with a "way" in it and it's looking old school.  For example, "I was way tired."

Definitely don't want to sound trendy, so I'm not looking for the current slang word--just want to avoid sounding dated.  I still use "totally" in this respect, but I've heard people say that sounds too 80s, as well.

I think my own child says "way cool" or whatever, but perhaps because she's heard me say it too many times?

Good question. I don't think I've heard that in a while. Of course, where I live, people usually use "wicked" instead...as in, "That's wicked awesome!"
#281 - January 08, 2013, 12:59 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Not looking for slang exactly. I have MC suggesting that her best friend look for a senior for her next boyfriend, but I'm not sure quite how to word it. "Look for" doesn't sound active enough.  Just want something that sounds natural, but a little more interesting than look for. Unless, of course, look for sounds good enough.  :)
#282 - January 08, 2013, 03:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Here`s another one my NZ friend says a lot, ` oh stink!` meaning how terrible..she`s got me saying it too.

Luisa
#283 - January 08, 2013, 06:37 PM

Poster Plus
Not looking for slang exactly. I have MC suggesting that her best friend look for a senior for her next boyfriend, but I'm not sure quite how to word it. "Look for" doesn't sound active enough.  Just want something that sounds natural, but a little more interesting than look for. Unless, of course, look for sounds good enough.  :)

Hunt for?
#284 - January 21, 2013, 06:51 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Hunt for?

be one the look out for?
#285 - January 22, 2013, 05:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Scope out.
#286 - January 22, 2013, 09:25 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
BTW, do teens say "snag" (as in, after she's scoped him out, she does snag him?).
#288 - January 23, 2013, 08:23 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Not sure about "snag."  That doesn't sound current to me. But in different areas teens use different phrases.
#289 - January 24, 2013, 08:40 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
catch, win-over?

I have no idea, but snag sounds odd to me also.
#290 - January 25, 2013, 01:39 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Some teens use "hook-up" as in "I caught him scoping me out and two days later we hooked up."  But you could also indicate this in a different way: "I caught him scoping me out and we started talking. A week later I changed my FB status to 'in a relationship.'"
#291 - January 25, 2013, 10:06 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
It's a reference to a possible future event. Girl A suggests to Girl B that she scope out a senior with the hope that she'll snag/catch/hookup/whatever with him.  (I'm hesitant to use hook up.)

#292 - January 26, 2013, 08:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I know what you mean about hook-up, lol. But the phrase has a deeper connotation to us than it does to most of today's teens. Maybe you can use "get him to notice you" or something along that line.
#293 - January 26, 2013, 09:32 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
That could work.

Or, I was wondering, what about just "hook" without the "up."

"You could hook a senior." ?
#294 - January 28, 2013, 12:50 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I asked one of my middle-school grandsons what they say in a situation where people are scoping someone out and then they get together. He said they don't really have a word or expression for it. "You just, like, you know, get together." 

I like: "You could hook a senior."  It sounds natural and timeless.
#295 - January 28, 2013, 09:08 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Ah, thanks. I think "hook" it is. Nice to know that "get together" would work too.

It's interesting trying to keep dialogue current enough and natural enough without getting too slangy.
I think Sarah Dessen does a great job of that. Nothing in her books jumps out as slang and yet nothing jumps out as too "back when" either.  ::-)
#296 - January 29, 2013, 08:23 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
That's the balance we all strive for. Words that sound like slang in the time the book takes place but that don't sound out of place at the time the reader lives in.
#297 - January 30, 2013, 09:20 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
 :drowning: HELP, I need a modern kid's word for "corny."  I am totally drawing a blank.
#298 - March 10, 2013, 02:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
lame?
#299 - March 10, 2013, 02:19 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN