Author Topic: YA Trilogies  (Read 13048 times)

Offline Debby G

• Poster Plus
    • dlgarfinkle.com
Re: YA Trilogies
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 01:25 PM »
Yeah, it's really weird. I think Barnes and Noble carried my first THE BAND book, but Borders didn't. Borders carries my second THE BAND book, but I don't think Barnes and Noble did. I'm not sure either chain is carrying the third book.
Author of ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Paulahy

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 07:00 PM »
Yeah, it's really weird. I think Barnes and Noble carried my first THE BAND book, but Borders didn't. Borders carries my second THE BAND book, but I don't think Barnes and Noble did. I'm not sure either chain is carrying the third book.

Debby, that is weird.  Has your agent or editor said anything about why it would be uneven? I was a bit weary that maybe Borders wouldn't carry my second, because of the shelving issue we had with them for the first book. But they're carrying it.

-P

Offline Duskydawn

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • Why be normal when you can be remembered?
    • Officially Twisted
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 01:25 PM »
Kristin has some thoughts, as do other folks under 'comments' on YA trilogies and queries thereof.

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2008/01/got-trilogy.html

Paulahy

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 06:06 AM »
Kristen's advice is pretty standard for trilogies and series.  Like she said, if you can't sell the first book, it's pointless that there are 2 or 5 more.

-P

Offline LindaJoy

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Linda Joy Singleton author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG
    • Author of THE SEER (YA psychic series)
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 07:21 AM »
I had kind of a reverse situation with my DEAD GIRL series (Septemer 08) -- I subbed it to my editor as a single title. I had an ending that was so final it even included an epilogue. But my editor suggested keeping my heroine in trouble for a few more books and contracted me for a trilogy. I was quite surprised -- and delighted.

My "New Agent" (still love saying those words!) is currently shopping around the first book in a SF urban trilogy. There's no question this will be a series as the story spans at least three books. The interesting thing as this is that when I wrote (most of) this book last year I had no agent. I considered subbing it while writing it but had this strong feeling to wait for an agent and just keep writing. So that's what I did.  Stay tuned...hopefully I'll have new of a sale soon (g).

Series aren't easy but if you keep at it you never know what will happen. I love discovering wonderful surprises along the way and now have a great agent and editor(s).
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, GOTH GIRL series & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Offline Hannah

• mclicious
  • Poster Plus
    • comp lit and mediaphilia
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 11:36 AM »
This is an interesting conversation. I definitely like the idea of sequels and trilogies. It gives you the chance to hook in readers, but not for too long, as someone earlier in this post mentioned, as by the end they might grow out of them before you're finished writing. I read UGLIES and PRETTIES as they came out, but by the time SPECIALS came out I was too old, and I just saw EXTRAS at Barnes and Noble the other day. I liked GOSSIP GIRL when it was new and clever, but when publishers got the idea that product placement in books is about a million times more effective than television commercials, they started to get bad. And I stopped reading the series long before it was over.

I think capping a good story with good characters at about three books keeps you respected, too. I lost a lot of respect for writers who "sold out" and kept writing--sure, money's nice, but if you're clever enough to come up with one good story, can't we count on you to know when to stop it and to be clever enough to come up with a new one? That's why writing about the same world but not doing a direct sequel is a good idea, I think. I noticed Gail Carson Levine's book FAIREST takes place in Ayortha (I think? I haven't read it yet), the country south of Ella's in ELLA ENCHANTED. I think that's a great idea, because you can always grab a new reader, because it's a standalone book, but fans who wished for "sequels" (I think usually when we want sequels, we don't actually--we just want the experience of reading the book again for the first time) can also enjoy it a lot.
Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. -Picasso
my blog @shgmclicious

RyanBruner

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 07:17 AM »
I read UGLIES and PRETTIES as they came out, but by the time SPECIALS came out I was too old, and I just saw EXTRAS at Barnes and Noble the other day.

You outgrew the series?  Wow.  I didn't even START reading the books until I was 34.  Loved them, and finally finishes EXTRAS a couple weeks ago.  I really loved it (although, it wasn't QUITE as good as the original three, but still very very good). 

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand...

Offline LindaJoy

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 06:24 AM »
I was in my mid-20's when I realized that despite my age, I enjoyed reading kid books more than adult books. At the time I was in RWA and working on a romantic mystery. I dropped that and switched to writing for kids and have never looked back. I continue to love reading kid books -- some of them are just so amazing. Like SAVVY, CITY OF EMBER, ESCAPE INTO MEMORY, VOTE FOR LARRY, MAGYK, ADORATION OF JENNA FOX, ISLAND OF THE AUNTS...and I enjoy Scott Westerfeld's series, too.
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, GOTH GIRL series & in 2016: CA$H KAT

Paulahy

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 07:36 AM »
You outgrew the series?  Wow.  I didn't even START reading the books until I was 34. 

LOL I was thinking the same thing.  I didn't read the series until last year and I'm 30-something too. 

However, I get what you're saying Spicy.  And that's why in my mind I'm capping my series at six books.  That will get the group through high school graduation.  I think the key is making sure the characters grow versus things becoming same old, same old.

My goal was to start them as Freshman and let them grow.  Each book deals with a more mature situation or at least shows their maturity as they learn to deal with new aspects of interpersonal relationships.  I'd like to think my readers are growing with them and can relate.  But you know, sometimes readers tire of a series no matter what.  Nature of the beast.

As I mentioned, a fellow colleague is writing a series and has over 40 books in mind.  For the life of me I can't imagine how that many books can follow one charcter.  But maybe it won't.   Maybe she'll move on to other characters and the book will revolve around the world she created and not any one character - though right now it does revolve around one central character.
-P

Offline LindaJoy

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 07:48 AM »
I like trilogies but also longer series. When I care about a series, I love to find out what happens next and to revisit favorite characters. My fave series from my childhood was the Judy Bolton mysteries with 38 titles -- and that wasn't enough, I always longed for "one more" (which I ended up co-writing...but that's another story).

I think it's sort of a personal taste, compared to family reunions. Some people love to see famiily and often. Others would just as soon skip the reunions and hang out with new friends. I'm really fond of reunions...

Anyway, trilogies are usually one really long book split in three sections (or 7 books like Harry P). I have one circulating now that's planned for only 3 books and when it's over, that will be The End.

But my THE SEER fans keep writing and asking for a 6th book. There are some plotlines that could be explored and I'd love to do it someday. Maybe next year depending on how well the SEER keeps selling. When I plotted this originally, I had one plot arc that ended with five books. But there's plenty of room for more plots and character growth, and it breaks my heart to tell fans there is no 6th book...so I'm definitely open to this happening.

For now I'm working on my DEAD GIRL trilogy, just starting the 3rd (and final) book (well...unless I change my mind and go for a 4th book...it's hard to say good-bye to characters).

Paulahy

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 07:42 AM »
LindaJoy, I agree about how hard it is to say goodbye to characters.  I adore the characters of my series and I'm certain I'll have serious withdrawel when the series ends.  But for these particular characters my focus was high school - so mentally I've always known graduation would be THE END.

Although in truth, I'd love to follow a few of them beyond high school and into college. But there's the question about the market and whether it would still be considered YA once they're in college. 

I'd really love to explore them further if it's possible.  And who knows, maybe it will happen one day. :broccoli

-P

Offline CC

• Poster Plus
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2008, 02:02 PM »
As I mentioned, a fellow colleague is writing a series and has over 40 books in mind. 

I know this thread is probably past its prime, but I just fell off my chair reading this -- FORTY books? I know readers are loyal to series, but forty, as in 4-0? Egads. So, even if the author can release two a year, readers are going to be reading the series for twenty years? This isn't a YA series, is it?

I might be more into series if bookstores would keep them all in stock, as in all of them lined up in a pretty little row. I finished reading PRETTIES not long ago, and was lost for the first half of it, because apparently it wasn't the first in the series, I should've been reading UGLIES first. But when you are in a hurry, and the other books are not stocked, I guess I just assumed I'd grabbed the first in the series, as it was the only one there.
OPEN COURT, Knopf