Author Topic: Quiet or Chaos?  (Read 20569 times)

Offline Traci Dee

• Poster Plus
  • You can call me Dia if you want to. ;)
    • Dia Reeves
Re: Quiet or Chaos?
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2008, 08:50 PM »
I like music when I write, but it has to be mellow (or at least "feel" mellow), but I can't have the TV on or have people talking around me unless the talking is indistinct like at a coffeehouse or something. 
Bleeding Violet ~ Jan 2010
Slice of Cherry ~ Jan 2011
Corsets and Clockwork (anthology) ~ May 2011
http://www.diareeves.com

Offline Karen Bly

• Poster Plus
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2008, 07:25 PM »
I need quiet, and it's very inconvenient because I have 2 very active, very LOUD boys. That's why I'm always writing at night, but I'm so tired then. I wonder if my writing will improve when they're both in school and I get quiet time during the day when I'm actually awake!
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

JMKirk

« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2008, 01:18 PM »
This is something I've been thinking about lately! I usually have music on in the background when I'm working - doesn't have to necessarily be chill out stuff. As long as the telly isn't on to distract me! However, when it comes to the kids I've found that when they aren't there I can't seem to concentrate as easily!  :faint I haven't been doing my own writing lately as I had to do three essays for university and during this time the kids were away on holiday with their grandparents. Without them in the background I found it much harder to concentrate! My two are older so they don't need constant attention, they get on with their own things but are still always there so when they aren't it's just a big empty house!  Weird!  :tigger

Myrrhine

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2008, 10:59 AM »
I sometimes write with the tv on, but my absolute best place to write is during a boring meeting, lecture or conference. I cannot leave, and I have nothing to do but listen to the dull speaker OR write my story. My WIP always seems much more absorbing in comparison. I have had some of my best ideas in art history class. 

Offline Lunchbox

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • A basset hound+two crazy aliens=Trouble!
    • Bryan's website
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2008, 10:41 AM »
Unless I'm unusually focused, it's a rare day when I can write in a house full of kids.  Because of my work schedule, I rarely see them during the week--I work from 3 pm to 11pm, and usually write in the morning when they're at school or at night when they're in bed.  I'm asleep when they get up and they're asleep when I get home, so during holidays it's hard for me to get any work done because they're clamoring for my attention, which as a father I need to give them. 

When I have to write with kids in the house, I usually put my headphones on and listen to jazz as loud as I can tolerate it--not enough to turn my brains to mush, but loud enough to drown out the kids and MTV and the video games and the squabbles and stuff.  Summers are always terribly unproductive for me.  If I ever sell enough books, we're going to get a bigger house and I will have my own office, instead of having to write in the family room.  I guess the next best step is to get a laptop so I can write in the bedroom, but until the money fairy comes again I'm stuck in the family room.

Good music helps me write.  If it's obnoxious stuff like my kids listen to, I can't write.  I like jazz and classical music, with some '70's pop like Blood, Sweat & Tears or Chicago now and then.  Anything else is a distraction.
http://www.bryanwfields.com
LUNCHBOX AND THE ALIENS, 2006 Holt; 2009 Square Fish
FROONGA PLANET, 2008 Holt
http://froongafiles.blogspot.com

Offline SHRous

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2009, 06:48 AM »
The music cannot have any words or else I suddenly start to sing along.  I had been going to my bedroom and sitting on the bed with my laptop.  This worked until my nine-year old daughter decided to come and write her NaNo book next to me.  She cannot write without talking about every thing she is putting on the paper...Although NaNo's over, she still wants to come sit with me when I write!  (and talk)  I can write as long as they aren't trying to talk to me or fight with each other.  We have a deck off our bedroom we want to turn into a private retreat for me, but it's not in the budget yet.

Offline DonnaE

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • SCBWI PAL
  • life is too short to wear pantyhose.
    • My blog
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2009, 06:52 AM »
Last night and today, I have 6 girls in my house for a sleepover. They are all doing different things. Our house is about 1500 square feet...and they are taking up most of it. :)

Therefore, I am writing in the midst of lots of noise today. BUT...it's doable.
Being Frank (Flashlight Press)
http://wordwranglernc.wordpress.com/

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I am so happy to be in my own quiet home.  My ears actually are recovering from Christmas.  My father has been going deaf for most of my life.  His hearing is very bad and yes he has hearing aids.  Both of my brothers have hearing problems (I think there is actually a genetic connection as most of the males in my family have had hearing problems).  I on the other hand spend most of my time trying to block out the noise and ignore most of what is going on around me.  (they atribute my not paying attention to bad hearing, but I am trying to shut things out).  My ears are extra sensitive.  I mean extra sensitive.  My dad, who as you remember can barely hear anything, discovered the battery on the carbon dioxide detector was going out (I kept telling them something was beeping).  So, after he put the new battery in he kept pushing the button on the dern thing and made it beep.  My ears hurt so bad, and I kept yelling at him to stop - of course he couldn't hear me.  My ears ached for two days. 

I said something to my dog in a certain tone and he got all bent out of shape because that hurt his ears.   :gaah

By this time I was about ready to lose it. 

He had closed captioning on the television.  I still spent half my time turning the volume down on the television. 

Yet when I wanted to watch something and he decided he didn't like the show he would get all huffy and go into the other room.  The volume was still low.

He got a Lawrence Welk, 3 CD set for my mom for Christmas.  So he put it in the Bose player and spent most of the time asking me if they were singing to the music.  No, its just the orchestra.  Then he would proceed to tell me what he could hear. 

After the second song, I told him I got it, but he still went on and on.

I am really sorry my dad is losing his hearing and will probably be profoundly deaf in a couple of years.  I know it is not easy for him, I know someone younger than me that has gone through several ear operations and has lost his hearing.  I truly understand his loss. 

But he cannot understand that I hear and I hear more than he probably heard in his entire life.  I am some changling born into my family. 

I end up speaking louder than necessary to most people and end up getting loud because if you don't do it in my family no one hears you.  I am one of those people that can speak in a roomful of people without a microphone.  When you grow up with a group of people that don't hear, you tend to speak loud. 

I am so loving the quiet of my house.  SILENCE.  No television.  No radio.  No one yelling the same thing four times in a row.  No one spelling out words. 

Complete and utter silence.  I can hear the hum of the refigorator and it sounds too loud!  My type of working environment.

I could never work at my parent's house unless I had the type of earphones that they used on airfields.

I love quiet.
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Offline Elisabeth

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region switzerland
  • SCBWI RA
  • Regional Advisor, SCBWI Switzerland
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2010, 09:35 AM »
I need quiet, and it's very inconvenient because I have 2 very active, very LOUD boys. That's why I'm always writing at night, but I'm so tired then. I wonder if my writing will improve when they're both in school and I get quiet time during the day when I'm actually awake!

KarenB - school is a wonderful thing for writing moms :D. I writing again (after many years' break) when my little one was napping. Unfortunately, the naps stopped at about 2 years [sigh] so until kindergarten started I was in the same boat. I try to do my errands (shopping etc.) right after the school run, so that I can still get in a couple of hours before school lets out. I can't write when I'm tired. So evenings don't work for me right now. I get occasional ideas right before I go to sleep that I write down, but I can't really dig in and work unless I have some mental and physical energy.

I need quiet when I write. I did learn this week though that I can outline and do "light" editing with kid-noises going on. That was a pleasant discovery.
I tweet: @FictionForge