Author Topic: Write your bio with me  (Read 15059 times)

cdb

Write your bio with me
« on: August 15, 2007, 05:27 PM »
   Fellow writers,
 I thought this may be fun and a way to know each other as well as practice for our all important bios that we will each need. Anyway, here's my first attempt. I've been reading a lot of bios lately and find that some are extremely short and others more lengthy. I haven't tried to find the "rules" yet.
Just playing for now. Comments and crits are welcome.

Any one want to play?

Carole Brooks considers Indianapolis home where her children and grandchildren live. Currently she resides in Grand Rapids with her husband, Mike, and a wooded view. Windows with a view are extremely necessary for her. She’d rather live in a tent, than not have a view.  They frequently travel to their little cottage on a lake where family and friends gather to play and, of course, Carole relishes that view as well.
   Indulging imagination and pretending were her favorite pastimes as a child. She has fond memories of living in Japan where she acquired a love for the scent of sandalwood.
   Today she enjoys her muse as a picture book writer and says, “I play a lot. Entertaining the child within keeps my muse happy.” Watching her three grandchildren grow stirs memories of raising her two sons, which she considers her most valuable contribution in life. That, coupled with experience as a media assistant for an inner city school district provide further inspiration for her books.
   In addition, she delights in sketching and painting, but don’t ask her to sing. She sings like a sick moose.
   She views writing as a gift and gives it from her soul.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 06:50 PM by cdb »

MaudeStephany

Re: Write your bio with me
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:32 PM »
Niiiiiiice!   :)

Now you have me thinking about my bio. Argh... can it wait for a couple days? I need time to switch gears from the story for Zamoof.

Maude  :jump

tab_walton

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:37 PM »
Love it!   :moose

I'm gonna go work on mine.  Never know when it might come in handy!   :writing3:

bzirkle

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 04:51 AM »
Carole...

I've often worried about what I would write on my bio and have avoided those publishers, etc that require you to send one with you ms...this just might be what I needed to get my tushy a moving and write my bio...I will work on mine and see what I come up with...Thanks again...Lilfix

Offline 1846

• Poster Plus
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 04:56 AM »
This is at least five years premature, but I'll give it a whirl ...

Offline goadingthepen

• Poster Plus
    • Boys Blogging Books
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:44 AM »
I had to recently send a bio and had a horrible time trying to do it. Here is what I ended up sending in.

Sheri Goad was raised in Idaho and has since spent her time moving around the US with her husband and children. She has lived in Colorado , New York , West Virginia , North Dakota , Washington D.C. , Delaware and Virginia . (And that is just in the last 14 years) She grew up mostly in Idaho but spent some time in Alaska and California . She is currently in Woodbridge VA where she spends her time playing with her children, writing, and volunteering at her children’s schools.

She loves to read and when she finds a book that really makes an impression she likes to post her thoughts about it on her web blog  goadingthepen at blogspot dot com.

She remembers how exciting it was as a child to turn the pages of a great book and wants to be able to bring that same excitement to children.

She loves children. She loves writing. She believes there is no better way to spend a day than writing for children. (Except of course if you’re playing with children)

Edited to change POV
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:52 AM by goadingthepen »

tab_walton

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 07:51 AM »
Goadingthepen--Rewrite your bio in 3rd person (see Carole's above).  Otherwise, great job!  I don't envy you all those moves.

cdb

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 08:11 AM »

We're all at different stages in our writing.   :pencil:   Some people are quite accomplished and others just beginning. The common denominator?

We all started somewhere. This thread is a writing exercise and meant to be fun. So come on out and play, everyone. You may meet a neighbor, you

may learn something about someone, you may learn something about yourself! Lighten up and give it a try.  Scared? Nervous? Not one person here

bites! And besides, may as well practice here, before you send in something goofy, like I did.  :yup

Carole

MaudeStephany

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:30 AM »
Alright.. time to make the muse work... this is a write by the seat of my pants kind of thing... so wish me luck.

Maude Stephany learned the english language at the age of five; moving from Montreal, Quebec to Kingston, Ontario. In a desperate need to make herself understood, she devoured book after book and developed a need to express herself that came through in her poetry, short stories and articles. Maude is an adventurer at heart, delving into mysteries, mythology and exploring her environment. She ranges far afield; she loves the outdoors and can be found hiking, kayaking, rock climbing with her husband, son, daughter and terrier.

Maude's recent work has been published in international children's magazines such as Explore, Moo Cow Fan Club, Pack O Fun, Kayak, Zamoof and in writer's forums such as Kid's Magazine Writers and the Institute of Children's Literature. Maude writes "whatever comes to mind" short stories, poetry, articles and novels. This is her first book.

Maude now lives with her family in Chilliwack, British Columbia where she divides her time between exploring the hidden worlds of words while stretching her body with extreme adventures.

How's that??? 
Maude  :jump

cdb

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 08:40 AM »

goading the pen and maudestephanie, I feel like I know you both better now...fun eh?

Carole

Offline goadingthepen

• Poster Plus
    • Boys Blogging Books
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 09:04 AM »
I never know what is too much or too little to add. I didn't add that I was certified in Early Childhood Development, that I teach pre-school though not currently at a school, I run a program at home. Stuff like that.  :confused2:

Do you vary your bio info depending on who/what it is for?

Offline sarah_create

• Poster Plus
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 09:38 AM »
I'll play.  I worked this up awhile ago when the muse hit.  Is it any good?

Sarah has stepped in quicksand in Brazil, walked on the Baltic Ocean in Finland and straddled two continents in Iceland, all places she has lived with her husband, a diplomat. The opportunity to move every few years allows her to meet new people, visit unique museums, experience diverse cultures, explore new haunts and taste new foods. She enjoys spending time with her family, hiking, exploring (preferably with a map), visiting new places, reading and music. One early morning, (during a dark Finnish winter) she was startled awake, propelled to the computer by characters who demanded that their story be told and discovered her love of writing. 

cdb

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 09:42 AM »

Keep 'em coming, folks.

Carole
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:45 AM by cdb »

Offline 1846

• Poster Plus
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 12:06 PM »
Okay, this one is way too whitebread to top Sarah's.  But here's mine.  I figure the first paragraph would fit on the inside of the dustjacket, hopefully without a picture.  There'd be room for the second paragraph on the back cover.

Steve Arnold was born and raised in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and generally uses his home state as the setting for his stories.  He currently lives with (or rather, works for) his Shih Tzu, Oberon, in a house just beyond a sea of cornfields at the edge of a small town in Eastern Iowa.  He has been an elementary school teacher for over thirty years.

The strongest influences in Steve’s writing grow from his varied childhood experiences.  He got the writing bug at a very young age while exploring the family bookcase, when he discovered two books written by his late grandfather.  From long summer trips with his family, he developed a love for history and travel.  He has been active in theatre since boyhood.  He has appeared in or directed numerous community theatre productions, and has often directed youth productions.  He also has a life-long interest in classical music, which is always shared with at least one major character in each of his stories.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:09 PM by 1846 »

Kim

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 12:31 PM »
This is tough. I tend to like the short but sweet ones, but mine comes off as aloof and boring... I am not a witty writer.

Kim lives with her husband and numerous animals in the Midwest. Along with being a writer, Kim is also a ______ (profession).

I could list degrees but let's face it ...  :zzz

Offline Larry

• Poster Plus
  • They're growing up fast!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 03:12 PM »
Okay, okay, here goes...

Larry Haynes resides in Orange, Texas--go any farther East and you'll be in Louisiana---any farther South and you'll be in the Gulf of Mexico! He says his four greatest accomplishments are marrying his wife, Aliceson, and his three daughters, Katelynn, Emily and Olivia. He is an identical twin, but by all accounts, mainly his own, he's much better looking than his brother. Larry has ben an educator for 20 years, the last 5 as an elementary school principal in Orangefield, Texas. He loves the outdoors, especially fishing and playing with his kids. Writing has been a passion of his since his 3rd grade teacher complimented him on a poem he'd written for Mother's Day. He claims it was the first compliment he can ever remember getting in school. He loves writing for middle grade audiences, but also enjoys YA and great picture books. He counts Louis Sachar, Cynthia Rylant and E.B. White as his literary heroes. He also loves to surf, but only on the Blueboards.

Bish

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 05:23 AM »
Here goes...off the top of my head...

Bish Denham is a fourth generation U. S Virgin Islander. "Growing up in the islands was like living inside history," she says. "Columbus named them and people like Ponce de Leon, Sir Francis Drake, and Robert Louis Stevenson sailed through. Pirates roamed the waters and slave traders sold their human cargos. As a kid I explored many of old sugar plantation ruins, and hiked over trails used by slaves."

These experiences along with an extremely supportive family, lead Bish to become an avid reader and writer. She has had stories and articles published in Spider, Wee Ones, My Friend, Fun For Kidz and on the website for the Institute of children's Literature.

Bish has lived for the past 27 years in Texas. She retired after working for 23 years at a home for abused and neglected kids, "Where," she says, "I worked at differnt times as a houseparent (nine years), a bee keeper (two years), librarian (18 years), assistant editor to the newsletter (21 years) and medical coordinator (three years)."

Bish has been married 22 years to Stan the Man. They live quietly in a modest dwelling with their dog Ursa who is, "95 pounds of love and adoration."

cdb

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 11:37 AM »

More, more. I wanna see more. I love reading these.

Carole

bea

Bio
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 01:43 AM »
This is harder than it looks. Back to the drawing board.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:30 AM by bea »

Offline Quzi

• Poster Plus
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 05:18 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread, Carole. These are really fun to read. This summer I had to write a bio for my forthcoming book. I wanted it to be 1.) kid appealing and 2.) linked to the book itself. I eliminated extraneous details such as career choices and hobbies and limited myself to one paragraph. This is it. Weird but true.

Susan Maupin Schmid grew up next to a cemetery and has always been interested in things like history, archeology, and mummies. Her high school guidance counselor told her that there weren’t any more archaeologists because everything had already been dug up. So she went to college and earned a degree in Speech and Theatre. But while she was doing that she painted King Tut’s sarcophagus on her dorm room door and dabbled in hieroglyphics. Eventually she learned that archaeologists were still busy digging up amazing finds. But by then, she had decided to be a writer. Today Susan lives in Iowa with her husband, two daughters, and a terribly spoiled Miniature Schnauzer named Katie.
LOST TIME Philomel May 2008

Offline traceymcox

• Poster Plus
  • *~*Dream... Believe... Reach for the stars!*~*
    • Tracey M. Cox   writer & children's book reviewer
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 01:38 PM »
OK,
here's mine:::

Tracey M. Cox lives in south Georgia. She is 'MOM' to her three boys, one dog, a whole school of mismatched fish, and a litter of cats.
She has found her way back to the love of telling and writing stories. Mrs. Cox has been writing seriously since the turn of the century. Although she has been writing ever since she could hold a pencil in her hand. Through the years she has learned and winged many writing adventures. She makes author visits to talk to children and share what writing for THEM is all about.
Tracey is proud to include the writing credits of: WeeOnes E-zine, Confetti Magazine, the Tifton Gazette, the Ocilla Star and Guardian Angel Publishing.

Gregor

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 02:05 PM »
This is from my website, the one on my book was written in a hurry...and it shows.

Greg Budig was born and raised on the windswept prairie of western Minnesota in the community of Morris. His parents owned and operated a small grocery store there that bustled with activity. He is the middle child with two older and two younger sisters. Needless to say, he never knew the joys of sharing clothes or a bedroom. It was in the privacy of his own room where he spent hours painting, drawing and dreaming.

For over twenty years he has lived and worked in the city of St. Cloud, Minnesota.  He and his lovely wife Cindy have three wonderful children, Matthew, Emily and Anna. Their cozy little northside house, as well as their three children, are all featured throughout his current book entitled "I Hear The Wind".

Sometimes who we are and what we do are two different things. Greg has spent a lifetime working at jobs that have nothing to do with writing or art, but he has always kept the hope alive that his talents will someday be recognized. This is his first book.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 02:14 PM by Gregor »

Offline Cassandra

• Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 07:43 PM »
This is such a great way to get to know folks a little better. Thanks for sharing your bios.

I just wrote my bio for my website. I put it off for months and finally yesterday I forced myself to do it. Does anyone else have a hard time with bios? Whether is a page or a few lines, bios stump me.

Here's what I wrote for my website.

Soccer Mom by Afternoon, Freelance Writer by Morning and Night

In between my day job of chauffeuring children, supervising homework, reconciling my foodie tendencies with my twenty minutes to cook allowance, entertaining my high-maintenance cat, and reading the latest and greatest in kidlit, I write. It’s a habit I started around 1976, (you don’t need to know how old I was then.) Here’s an excerpt from those early days as a writer:

Nov. 21, 1976 --Tomore I am going to do a rele play and am scared of it becus I don’t thock slow onuf and there is no time to practis.  The end.

I don’t remember the play or how quickly or slowly I spoke, but I do remember that I loved seeing my own words inked onto the page. I have considered myself a writer ever since. Thankfully, I have learned how to spell.

After a decade of working in education, I traded my chalk-smeared dresses, gradebooks and No Child Left Behind testing for notebooks, pens, and eventually a beloved ibook. My stories, poetry, crafts and articles can be found in children’s magazines such as Highlights for Children, Cricket, Spider, Ladybug, Hopscotch for Girls, Fun for Kidz, and Boys’ Quest.  I have work included in the anthologies, SUMMER SHORTS and MISTLETOE MADNESS and have written for Smartwriters.com.

I also do educational writing and curriculum development. Please see Teacher’s Guides to learn more about those projects.

Elysabeth

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 08:53 AM »
I have two bios - a longer one that I submit to those places asking for one and a shorter one that was requested for an acceptance of a story I just had - the bio had to be under 100 words - so let me know what you think - E :)

Long one:

Elysabeth Eldering is 45 years old and lives in a small town in upper South Carolina. She enjoys reading, cross stitch, crochet and writing. Her first story was written on a dare from a friend, but she found that she really enjoyed the creative outlet. 

Her writing credits include "Train of Clues" (a shared second place winner on Armchair Interviews), "The Proposal" (an April Fool's Day contest shared second place winner on Armchair Interviews), and "The Tulip Kiss" (fast and frigid contest winner on Echelon Press) and "Butterfly Halves", a young adult fantasy, (the latter two were published by Echelon Press but are no longer available).  She has an article on editing and self publishing to her credit, also published on Armchair Interviews. 

Elysabeth also does book reviews for Armchair Interviews, Curled Up With a Good Book, and New Mystery Readers ezine.  She has been reading and reviewing mysteries and young adult novels for about two years now. 

She is also the editor of the paranormal mystery storyline for the Magazine of Unbelievable Stories published by Quill-Pen Press.  To her credit, she has also been asked to edit novels for the same publisher in the upcoming year.  She has edited four novels and is in the process of starting her own editing service.

In 2007, Elysabeth volunteered to judge mid length stories submitted for the Derringers Awards. 

Mother of 3 children, she spends many weekends at marching band competitions. When she has free time from work, family and writing, she participates in several writing groups including Sisters in Crime and the South Carolina Writers Workshop, both in Greenville, SC.

Short one:

Elysabeth Eldering, a 45-year-old mother of three, lives in a small town near Greenville, South Carolina, where she is an active member of Sisters in Crime and the South Carolina Writer’s Workshop. 

After writing her first story on a dare, Elysabeth hasn’t stopped since, with writing credits that include short stories "Train of Clues," "The Proposal," "The Tulip Kiss," and "Butterfly Halves," as well as articles on editing and self publishing.

Elysabeth also reviews books, edits a paranormal mystery storyline, and participates as a judge for the Derringers Awards. Recently, she opened an independent editing service.

It is fun reading the bios of other authors because you do feel like you are getting to know them more on a personal level.  And when we read the books as they are published, we can all say we knew her or him from here - E :)

Offline Elle

• Poster Plus
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Elle has come from a long line of artists, educators, writers, and travelers. She never felt that she was as talented or as smart as her ancestors, and frankly, complained about being bored a lot. Elle tried to follow in her family footseps, but ultimately decided that she couldn’t paint, didn’t like school enough to be a teacher, and was too poor to continue traveling. Fortunately, she discovered writing, and quit being bored. Still too poor to travel, Elle dreams of someday being published, and going on book tours.

Offline Juliarts2003@yahoo.com

• addicted to YA
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Truth, Puffin/Speak, 1/19/2012
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 11:42 AM »
Julia, along with her older sister, was raised by her grandmother in the small Midwestern town of Seymour, Indiana. At sixteen, she moved to the big city – Chicago. Originally wanting to be an artist, her plans were derailed by events like marriage and and the births of her two daughters. Because of those daughters, she began to write – and is still at it. Now that her girls are grown, and she's back in Indiana, she shares stories and plotlines with her three cats and three dogs – who find her work fascinating. Although, the dogs usually want her to quit writing and take them for a walk and the cats hate the laptop - because they think they are laptops!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 02:35 AM by Juliarts2003 »
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Offline olmue

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
    • Der Buchwald
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 12:37 AM »
While Olmue considers Arkansas "home," she's lived in eight states and two foreign countries (Chile and Germany). She's seen penguins and alligators in the wild, touched a head from Easter Island, and lived on the island from which the first shots of the Civil War were fired. She currently lives in a small town in Bavaria with her husband (a professor of medieval studies) and their four children. She is often seen wandering the forest in search of castle ruins or Celtic archaeological remains.

Offline TerrySpear

• Poster Plus
  • The Dragon Fae
    • Paranormal Contemporary Urban Fantasies
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 04:54 PM »
Terry Spear grew up on ghost stories, myths and legends, and true historical events.  Now, she creates her own paranormal adventures for teens and adults. When she's not writing, she creates fantastical artist teddy bears that have won awards, been featured in magazines, and have found homes all over the world as far away as Alaska, Russia, and China.
Terry Spear
USA TODAY Bestseller
Teen Adventure with a Paranormal Twist
http://www.terryspear.com

barb95831

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 09:39 AM »
I tailor my bio to different things.

I write a very brief bio when I'm published in a magazine; 'Barb Chandler lives with her partner and animal companions in Sacramento Ca. She has several publishing credits which are located at; http://members.mailaka.net/barbc/samples.html (note; I figure it dosen't hurt to advertise.) 

For my non-fiction book proposal on  relationship violence I wrote; ' Before becoming a full time writer, I was a therapist on a crisis team. I’ve worked extensively with people involved in domestic relationships, thus am well versed in the dynamics of abuse.

And for my critique group write 'I live with my partner and our animal companions in Sacramento. I became a
writer by default. When I moved here 14 yrs ago from my lifelong home in Des
Moines, IA I couldn't find a job in my chosen profession. I happened to see
a ad in a community newspaper for a freelance writer, and the rest is
history.Most of my published writing is in adult non-fiction. A few years ago, I
decided to explore other genres, I discovered children's writing and was
hooked. I have a few articles in Listen, and ghostwritten a chapter in a
children's book about stress, but for the most part haven't been published
in the children's market. I enjoy PB, MG and YA fiction as well as
non-fiction.When I'm not involved with a writing project I enjoy; photography,
genealogy, playing scrabble, and watching movies. I mentor a young man with
his writing  through Little Owl Mentoring Program Online, and am a volunteer
counselor on a suicide hotline.'

Barb

Offline brendao

• Poster Plus
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 06:53 AM »
This was kind of fun! I'll post this, even though I'd like to get the ending to echo the beginning a bit more. Oh well, no one's beating down my door asking for a bio, so I'm not going to worry about it now!  ::)

Brenda Ortega indulged her childhood fascination with words by reading Edgar Allan Poe in the dark basement of her family’s Michigan home. Today she’s still playing with words in a basement – but with garden windows that let in a little light.

Before taking up children’s writing, Brenda worked as a reporter for The Associated Press and the Los Angeles Times, in addition to teaching English to middle and high school students. In 1996, an intensive, four-week writing course for teachers brought her in contact with an emerging author serving as writer-in-residence. This eventual Newbery Medal winner, Christopher Paul Curtis, critiqued Brenda’s short story which would someday become her first novel. He encouraged her to send it out. Instead, she filed it away, but she never forgot the words he wrote her: “You’ve got a real talent. Don’t stop!”

It took nine more years, and the support of a wonderful husband and two children, for Brenda to gather the courage to tackle her dream of writing a novel. Crafting stories and working as a part-time community college instructor and freelance writer, she’s never been happier. Now when the task seems hard and her muse is elusive, Brenda remembers those simple words from her favorite children’s author: Don’t stop.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 04:26 PM by brendao »