Author Topic: Write your bio with me  (Read 14980 times)

balletluvr

Re: Write your bio with me
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Here's a version a former conference facilitator helped write for me:

KATHY LEE SCOTT has written dance articles and performance reviews for Ballet Dance magazine and several local newspapers. Kathy’s twenty years' studying and performing ballet and other dance forms have been an asset to her writing career. A member of a couple online workshops, she strives to improve her craft and offer encouragement to her fellow writers. She and her husband share a home with three male cats, nurturing them with classical music.

Offline pjlyons

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • Constantly Creating
    • pjlyons
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 07:26 AM »
Carole--

Great thread. I always read anything you post.

Is that Grand Rapids, Michigan? Because that's where I live!

The bio on my website is in first person and several paragraphs long. I decided to try and write a one paragraph, third person bio:

pj lyons' earliest memories are of contentedly cutting and pasting construction paper while telling stories to her stuffed animals, which she would have gladly traded for a real dog.  She didn't learn to read until third grade, but once she did, she read every mystery and biography in her school library, all the time wishing she had a dog cuddled up next to her. She's done a lot of cool things since then, like spend a summer in Peru and six months in Spain, work in the diamond industry in New York City, sing and play flute in front of thousands of people, and get a book publlished. She's still cutting and pasting, telling stories, and reading—with her very real dog cuddled up next to her.

pj
The Art of Story

heartsandflowers

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 12:20 PM »
These are great. I don't even know where to start..... :hearts

Offline Jill C.

• Poster Plus
  • LIVE. LOVE. WRITE
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 08:19 PM »
This if fun! Here's mine:

JILL CORCORAN is an award-winning children’s poet and writer.

Lee Bennett Hopkins will be featuring Corcoran’s poem, PIRATES, in a two-page spread in his Holiday House middle grade collection, I AM THE BOOK to be published in 2011. PIRATES will be one of only l4 poems in this fully illustrated picture/poetry book.

Corcoran earned a BA in English from Stanford University and an MBA in Finance and Marketing from The University of Chicago. After years of marketing and advertising, she gave up the glamour of cereal boxes and sneakers for family life with her husband, 3 kids and 3 dogs. She now takes writing classes at UCLA, writes children’s books, and teaches writing workshops in Palos Verdes, California; in fact, an article about her workshops has been syndicated in parenting magazines nationwide by Kathy Sena (www.kathysena.com). In 2004,  Corcoran’s YA novel TWIN SISTER: I AM NOT YOU won a Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Work-in-Progress Honorary Mention, and in 2003 she won the SCBWI Los Angeles Writer's Day Poetry Award for her humorous picture book collection, SINK YOUR TEETH INTO POETRY.

Jill Corcoran is represented by Ronnie Ann Herman of Herman Agency, Inc.

www.jillcorcoran.blogspot.com & www.hermanagencyinc.com
DARE TO DREAM...CHANGE THE WORLD, Kane Miller, Fall 2012

Gina Black

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 09:57 PM »
Here's the one I use for Gina, my alter-ego who wrote the romance . . .

Gina pounded out her first story on an old Royal typewriter when she was eight and hasn't stopped writing since. A member of the Directors Guild of America, she's worked in Public Broadcasting most of her adult life. She enjoys watching the same romantic movies over and over again, loves to eat spicy panang curry with brown rice, and is hopelessly addicted to the warm Santa Ana winds that gust in the fall. She lives in Southern California with her personal hero and two cats.

(Gina has a much longer one on her website that isn't very different than the one Theresa has on hers.)

I guess it's time to work on a short one for Theresa . . . hmmmmm.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:16 PM by Theresa Black »

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 06:43 PM »
I'm making this up as I go along...let's see what happens...

Amy Lynn Spitzley is not a practical person. She is, in fact, a hippie-chick mama who loves to write young adult fantasy. She has large hair to hide behind and an even larger husband, and in person is rather easily intimidated. Her children think she is a bit goofy, and she thinks the same of them.
She was awarded the nickname The Perpetual Crew Member for doing stage crew on 18 shows in a row in the theatre department at Northern Michigan University, and now lives in Traverse City, Michigan, where she fills her cellphone camera with pictures of the bay, the river, the clouds, and her kids.
Most days, she can be found making faces at formality until it gives up and runs away to hide under the kitchen table.

How's that?
AMY
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:47 PM by Amy Spitzley »
Find your inner-deeper-hidden-secret quirky person! (grin)

roskoebaby

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 11:18 PM »
Suzanne Young was born in Utica, New York and attended college in the Adirondacks. When she thawed out, she packed her Saturn to the brim with her college things (aka-stuff made of plywood) and her huge drooly dog, Roskoe.

She arrived in Arizona just in time to score that highly coveted server job at a Mexican restaurant. After several years in the sun, Suzanne began teaching middle school and eventually got married and had two equally rambunctious kids. Then after dehydrating for eight years, she moved to Oregon where she could drown in rain.

Over the past year and a half, Suzanne has written ten Young Adult novels and countless unfinished chapters. She sold her first book to Razorbill in July and SMITTEN KITTENS will be released in 2010. She is currently working on her second contracted novel (as well as secretely working on the third and fourth).

She thinks writers are dope.

JoS

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 06:43 AM »
I hate writing my bio.  This is on my website. I would love feedback.

I am a yet-unpublished writer/illustrator living in Toronto, Canada. I work primarily in watercolour and ink. This is my 3rd career. I have had an adventurous life thus far, rich in diverse experiences. I previously lived in Paris, France and worked for several years as a fashion designer for many luxury fashion brands including Pierre Cardin. Later, I worked for a while as a creative director, specializing in designing brand identities and graphics. I have also developed graphics and merchandise under license for major children's brands including: The Muppets, The Simpsons, Biker Mice From Mars, and Polka Dot Door.  Somewhere in the middle there, I was disabled for 3 years in bed. I am now completely healed and have rediscovered my love of writing and have found an abundance of magic in the world. Today, I am dedicated to creating inspired, meaningful, quality children's literature that will be treasured for generations.

I am a member of SCBWI, (Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators) and CANSCAIP, (Canadian Society of Children's Authors, Illustrators & Performers).

RyanBruner

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 07:06 AM »
This is from my website:

Growing up in a relatively small town in Southeast Michigan, Ryan Bruner spent much of his childhood exploring his imagination. With his friends, he lived on far-off planets, escaped from countless kidnappers, created force fields and fireballs, and even managed to save the world every now and again. Ryan was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of nine. But he never let that hamper his adventurous spirit.

While Ryan always enjoyed reading, that enjoyment turned into a love of reading in the fourth grade, thanks to teacher Mr. Cannert. Reading books such as Jean Craighead George's My Side of the Mountain and Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, Ryan discovered that it was possible for someone to share their imagination with others via the written word.

Ryan wrote his first novel in the sixth grade. A story about a telepathic brother and sister, and a man who seemed to be after them. The Enemy Who Wasn't, as it was titled, was never completed, and never read by anyone but Ryan himself. But it began his love for writing, which continued into high school, where he was actively involved in the Writer's Club and eventually became editor of the school's literary magazine, Scribes.

A husband and father of four, today Ryan keeps himself busy outside of his full-time job as a software engineer. 

Offline Danette

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • SCBWI PAL
  • My goal is to be of use.
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2009, 07:13 AM »
From my site:

I’m a children’s author living in New York City with one husband, two daughters, Mr. Noodle, my love hog Yorkshire Terrier and Daisy, a cat with a seriously bad attitude.

I grew up in a Brooklyn Housing Project and had a best friend whose name rhymed with mine.

Speaking of names, it’s rare that people get my name on the first try so I’ll answer to anything ending with, ette. If you want to say my name, it sounds like this: Duh-net. Sometimes if someone is asking, "Where's the net?" I’ll answer, "Here I am!"

As far as I can remember, I’ve always had a love for reading though my early report cards state otherwise. Apparently, improvement was needed in that area. I think I can safely say improvement has been made; being without a book to read is like being without food, water or toothpaste. 

Growing up, I loved the smell of the library and used to peek under the plastic covers of books to see what the “real’ cover looked like. The first thing I do now when I walk into a library or bookstore is take a deep breath. If I could, I’d throw my arms open and yell, “I’m home!”

THE TROUBLE WITH HALF A MOON
G.P. Putnam's Sons
SSYRA List 2012-2013

SAVING BABY DOE
G.P. Putnam's Sons

http://Danettevigilante.com

RyanBruner

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 07:52 AM »
Reading through some of these, it raises a point of, what do you include in a bio?

Thing is, the important thing to realize is that the reader doesn't really care what is important to YOU.  Instead, you need to give details that are interesting to THEM.

Examples of things that authors frequently include, but aren't really interesting to most readers (at least, IMO) include information about your children (beyond that you have some), or your pets (unless your story revolves around animals).

I remember reading a blog by an agent that dealt with this topic.  The idea is to make your life sound interesting (without lying!), and not resorting to "facts". 

I'm not sure my bio (posted earlier) necessarily fits the bill, but I left the bit about being a husband, father, and software engineer for the end on purpose, and focused instead on what I thought a kid might relate to: that being, my childhood involved living in my imagination.  (By all means, though...let me know if any part of my bio isn't interesting.  I have no issue changing it.)

In other words, your bio needs to fit your target audience JUST as much as your query needs to fit the agents you're querying, and your novel must fit the readers of that genre/age group.

I won't say which ones are like this, but several posted here, frankly, bored me to tears.  Others are very intriguing.  (Okay...how's that for making everyone self-conscience?) 

Think about what you like reading about in other bios about people, then do the same with your own.

Just don't tell me about your pets.  (Uh...no offense to those who just did up above...I'm not targeting any of you with that comment...just passing on wisdom I've learned from others on the subject.)

Offline Danette

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • SCBWI PAL
  • My goal is to be of use.
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 08:33 AM »
Think about what you like reading about in other bios about people, then do the same with your own.

Whew, it's a good thing that's exactly what I did.

Danette
THE TROUBLE WITH HALF A MOON
G.P. Putnam's Sons
SSYRA List 2012-2013

SAVING BABY DOE
G.P. Putnam's Sons

http://Danettevigilante.com

JoS

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Is mine too facty? I never know what to say - I feel I say too much if I say anymore. I like my stories to reveal me in small, palatable doses.

sary

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 09:53 AM »
Oooh, this is a good thread.  Writing my bio was even harder than writing my query letter (both of which were more difficult than writing the book)!

Here's my current one (keeping in mind that my novels center on both autism and animals, so I feel that some info on my background in those areas is relevant):

As a child, Sarah Dooley lived 24 different places, including an old post office, a tent, and a red cargo van. She now lives in a relatively normal apartment, aside from the jazz band practicing in the kitchen and the possibility that the place is haunted.

Sarah grew up in West Virginia and graduated from Marshall University. She has lived in Kentucky, Virginia, and North Carolina, but she always returns home to the Mountain State.

When she is not writing, Sarah has the pleasure of teaching, and being taught by, children on the autism spectrum. In fact, she wrote her debut novel, Livvie Owen Lived Here, as part of a class project she assigned to her students. Sarah shares her life with her partner and their assortment of dogs, cats, and horses.

RyanBruner

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 10:00 AM »
sary:

Excellent! 

Is mine too facty? I never know what to say - I feel I say too much if I say anymore. I like my stories to reveal me in small, palatable doses.

Yes, I think yours is too much fact, not much flavor.  Think of writing your bio like writing a query letter: make me care about you!  But I will say that yours isn't terrible either.  You have the bones to make it interesting.  Right now, yours reads like you are trying to impress someone moreso than make someone think you are interesting.  But your work as fashion designer, etc., could be revealed in a way that shows what an interest person you are! 

For example, take this bit: I have also developed graphics and merchandise under license for major children's brands including: The Muppets, The Simpsons, Biker Mice From Mars, and Polka Dot Door.

The first half of that sentence is a bore.  But the second half draws interest.  So focus on that bit.  "I've worked alongisde The Muppets and Bart Simpson, Biker Mice From Mars, and a Polka Dot Door." 

And then maybe, "After spending 3 years in bed (after a terrible accident I'd rather not mention), I healed enough to find magic in the world."  Or whatever.  Introduce some personality!  :)

Offline Tessa Gratton

• Poster Plus
    • tessagratton.com
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2009, 10:06 AM »
This is my favorite of mine, which is only appropriate for some venues:

When Tessa was a kid, she wanted to be a wizard or a paleontologist. She's neither now, but magic and monsters are still her favorite things!  Though she grew up traveling the world with her Navy family, she settled in Kansas with her partner, two cats, and mutant mutt named Grendel.  She spends her time avoiding the blasted flying monkeys and writing about love, death, old gods, (and of course, monsters) for a YA audience.
The Blood Journals - available now!
THE LOST SUN, book 1 of The United States of Asgard, coming June 25, 2013
http://tessagratton.com

Offline thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2009, 06:53 AM »
Reading this actually freaks me out.  I am absolutely rubbish when it comes to these and have gone about it completely the wrong way.  Think I'll do this  :banghead then do a lot of examination of myself and my writing.  Daunting task.
So glad I found this thread.

Offline Jen

• Uber Sparkly Poster
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2009, 12:26 PM »
I'm in the process of writing a new bio, so this was a fun thread to read.  Generally, I've changed up the bio a little for every book, but it's getting hard to think of different things to say.  I try to spin thing so that they're somewhat relevant to the book at hand- so for Golden, which was supernatural chick lit, my bio looked like this:

A native Oklahoman, Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a recent graduate of Yale University.  She enjoys procrastinating, gazing at shiny objects, playing with monkeys, and anything that involves volleyball and/or ballet.  The closest things she has to magical powers are the ability to guess how many sibling a person has upon first meeting them and a supernatural knack for getting good parking spaces at the mall.  She wrote Golden at the age of 19.  Her second novel, Tattoo, is due out in 2007.

But for THE SQUAD, which is about cheerleading secret agents, the bio was:

Jennifer Lynn Barnes earned a bachelor's degree from Yale University and a master's from Cambridge.  A former competitive cheerleader, she was named an All-American by the National Cheerleaders Association in 1997.  She can neither confirm nor deny any experience she may or may not have had as a secret agent, but she can tell you that she's the author of three other books for teens: Golden, Tattoo, and Platinum, as well as the sequel to The Squad: Perfect Cover, The Squad: Killer Spirit.  Jennifer wrote her first book as a teenager and is currently hard at work on her next.  Visit her online at www.jenniferlynnbarnes.com.

I'm in the process of writing my bio for Raised By Wolves- I'll report back when I'm done.

Offline wolfie712

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Poet, Writer, Up-All-Nighter
    • LauraWynkoop.com
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Wow, it has really been fun reading these.  I think I'm starting to get a feel for what sort of bios I like as a reader.  I'll try writing mine in the next few days.

Laura
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com
www.eyeballinmygarden.com

Offline Jenn Reese

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
  • writer, martial artist, geek
    • www.jennreese.com
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2009, 01:56 PM »
[Note: This is not my bio!]

A friend sent me this bio of the author of SOULLESS, a comedy of manners set in Victorian London full of vampires, dirigibles, and tea. It's not necessarily appropriate for the MG or YA markets, but it's a fabulous bio nonetheless. I would love to have a bio this fun:

Ms. Carriger began writing in order to cope with being raised in obscurity by an expatriate Brit and an incurable curmudgeon. She escaped small town life and inadvertently acquired several degrees in Higher Learning. Ms. Carriger then traveled the historic cities of Europe, subsisting entirely on biscuits secreted in her handbag. She now resides in the Colonies, surrounded by a harem of Armenian lovers, where she insists on tea imported directly from London and cats that pee into toilets. She is fond of teeny tiny hats and tropical fruit.

Above World, 2/2012, Candlewick
Mirage (Book 2), 3/2013
Horizon (Book 3), 4/2014

madameduck

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Looks like this thread hasn't been going for awhile, but I thought I'd give it a try because it sounds like an interesting exercise!  Here's my first try ever at writing a bio.  Thoughts?

Amanda (LASTNAME) has always been accused of being slightly out of touch with reality, but she just calls it creativity.  Born outside of Pittsburgh, PA, she has lived all over the East Coast, as well as a brief stint in Madrid, Spain.  Currently she makes the glass city of Vancouver, BC her home, where she lives in a rundown apartment with her robot boyfriend.  She enjoys thai food, too much coffee, reading, and sleeping.  When she is not writing, she works as a speech pathologist teaching children the surprisingly complex art of talking.