Author Topic: Name Game  (Read 9058 times)

Offline Karen K

• Wordaholic
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Official website
Name Game
« on: November 10, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Lately I've been trying to be less of a workaholic about writing and have more fun. I love collecting names and building characters out of them, like a grain of sand becoming a pearl. So! I propose a name game. Each person picks three interesting names (with or without surnames). The person below them has to come up with a short character description for each name. If the name is familiar or famous, try to come up with a new person to go with it. Since I'm starting, I'll put down six names: three for me and three for the next person. Yes, I like unusual names, though I didn't invent any of these. I actually know a Surinthia. Let the games begin!

Ravenna - you might think that Ravenna is a ravishing Italian beauty. Ravenna's actually a somewhat cranky three-year-old with wispy blonde hair and a perpetual pout that drives her siblings crazy. They call her "Raving Ravenna," though occasionally it's affectionately.
Quincy - a goofy guy with lots of friends, though he has more shallow relationships more than deeper ones. He really likes a certain girl but can't get beyond banter.
Wolfgang - named by his German mother, Wolfgang tries in vain to get people to call him by his middle name, Michael, but the nickname "Wolfie" has stuck. Not very apt, he thinks, since he's a self-proclaimed nerd with no interest in wolves or werewolves. Maybe he'll meet some of the latter...

Surinthia
Zavia
Ezekiel "Zeke"

Hope you have fun,
Karen
Out now: DEADLY DELICIOUS

www.karenkincy.com
Twitter: @karenkincy

nomi

Re: Name Game
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:17 PM »
Karen,
I always think people like this must have parents who sit up nights making up names before their birth.  And here I am in the middle of the night!
Surinthia - Her parents (first generation Americans) miss their homeland of Surinam and decided to name their first born daughter Surinthia.  The wealthy childless neighbor believes they have named her after her--Cynthia Nirus.  Her mother had a severe case of dyslexia and thought she was naming her daughter after the Siren Cynthius.
Zavia - Twin sister to Xavier, they haven't been able to live more than a block apart their entire adult lives.  Thank goodness they married twins.  They spend a great deal of time planning their next trip to Twinsburg, OH for the annual Twinfest.  Zavia loves counted cross-stitch.
Ezekiel "Zeke" - now retired and bordering on feeble, Zeke loves to wear his soft and comfortable overalls as he shuffles up the lane in his small country town.  He's on his way to visit Anise, the sweet red-headed widder-woman who makes really great rhubarb pie (although he knows she's a red-head from a bottle now, he imagines just how blushingly beautiful she was in her youth!)

Three names for you:
Azelene
Zaikea
Jahaira

Carol Anne

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I Love playing around with names!  This sounds like fun. Ok, I'll give it a shot:

Azelene - Azelene is a quiet middle-aged woman who works in the local post office of a small town.  She is a creature of habit - enjoying a poached egg every morning, and washes her sallow complexion with Noxema every night.  She wears heavy tweeds, and cardigans that are somewhat pilly, and has mousy hair shot through with grey that she has worn in the same style for 20 years.  Her favorite colour is grey.

Zaikea - is a dance instructor in a prestigious boarding school.  In her late twenties, she is stunning, red-haired, curvaceous, and has a very healthy self-esteem.  Her behaviour borders on inappropriate, but her father donates a lot of money to the school so she is untouchable. ( Her real name is not "Zaikea".  It is Liz.)

Jahaira - Jahaira is a six year old boy who has been psychologically raised by his new-age parents.  Highly intelligent, he is fluent in two languages, plays the violin, can identity all members of the Group of Seven, and is a royal pain in the [donkey]. He does not like to lose, so is not encouraged to play neighbourhood games or team sports.  Prone to temper tantrums, his behaviour is tolerated, as his parents feel he is merely expressing his emotions in a safe and loving environment. All the neighbourhood kids think he's a twit.

schmara

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:44 PM »
I'll throw in three names since Carol forgot. What can you make of these very normal names?

Adam
John (do NOT call me Johnny)
Sandy

Bish

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 05:50 AM »
Adam, first born of a family of over achievers, is a huge disappointment to his father. His mother ignores the tension and concentrates her energy on the other 3 kids. At 6' 2" and a 245 pounds Adam hates football and longs to be an artist. His younger brothers teases him unmercifully. Only his little sister seems to understand what an outcast he is in his own family. And as for friends...Adam has always been shy and awkward.

John is named after a father he hardly knew. He has two brothers who are twins. His mother is hard working, but they a very poor. John likes to tinker. He loves to take things apart to see how they work and put them back together. By the time he's in high school it has become obvious to everyone that the boy is a true genius. There doesn't seem to be anything he can't do. He is accepted to Stanford University, but doesn't have the money to go. Knowing his father is well off,  John tracks him down, in the hopes of getting a loan to help him through his first year. His father refuses to help and John joins the Navy.

Sandy - Her name implies beaches and oceans and a bubbling personality. But Sandy has black hair and ebony eyes. She is a misanthropic pessimist. Her doom and gloom personailty turns people off which in turn causes her believe even more strongly in the heartlessness of humanity. (Self fulfilling prophecy.) But then she meets Aaron, someone just like her and for the first time in her life, Sandy sees who she really is.

Augusta
Claire
Emerson

Carol Anne

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 10:04 PM »
Oh right! I forgot to add my 3 names so I'll play again and make sure to add names when I'm done. Ok.

Augusta:  Is 18 and works as a barista in a local trendy coffee stop.  Very attractive, but she works very hard to be "hip n' ugly", wearing thick black heavy framed glasses, a pageboy haircut, baggy oversized men's cashmere cardigans, and heavy soled shoes.  She fancies herself a writer, and was suspended for 2 weeks in her Grade 12 year for her part in the creation of a subversive underground school newspaper.  She has a pet rat.

Claire:  Claire is forty-two, thin, fair, and has visible veins in her temples.  She works for an environmental consulting firm, and has never bought mascara in her life. She is VERY politically correct, 100% organic, and does not believe in combustion engines, big box stores, or [words censored].  She has a pair of shetland sheepdogs called "Belle and Andre".  Her mother is eighty and worries that her daughter might be a lesbian.

Emerson"  Emerson works as a part-time actor and lives in his mother's basement suite.  He is very handsome, but severely lacking in character.  Emerson believes he is the next George Clooney, but to date has only worked in community theatre and had a 5 second spot in a commercial about salad dressing.  He claims he is a gourmet cook, but lives mainly on Mr. Noodle and bananas.

Philippa
Zane
Mataya
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:06 PM by Verla Kay »

pschmatz

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 12:52 PM »
Phillipa is nine and obsessively watches clocks - the old-fashioned kind with a ticking second hand - because she's convinced that suddenly one day all clocks all over the world will stop ticking and when that happens, a cosmic force will make everyone in the world immediately spill their worst secret to the person in front of them.  She has a big one and wants to make sure she's alone when the clocks stop.

Zane is twelve and has vivid apocalypse dreams several times a week.  He isn't sure if he's going crazy or if he is actually seeing the end of the world coming, and this makes it very hard for him to concentrate on all of his advanced and gifted and talented classes.  His grades are dropping and his parents are afraid that he's doing drugs.

Mataya is seventeen and is wildly attracted to a new kid at her school.  She doesn't have any classes with this kid, but everytime she passes the kid in the hallway she thinks she's going to pass out from how intense she feels.  And the unnerving this about this is, she doesn't know if this kid is a boy or a girl, and she's not sure she cares.

Donovan Nickaboine

Tatum Nunn

Ladonna Leal

Offline jlinsky

• Member.
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:23 PM »
Donovan Nickaboine is seventeen and has suffered post-traumatic stress disorder following the death of his best friend. He lives with his musician Dad, is an avid rock-climber, writes pithy but humorous lyrics, and has a job stocking shelves at Trader Joe’s. He wears skin tight black emo pants and has the Chinese character for ‘time’ tattooed on his right calf.

Tatum Nunn is a peanut colored guinea pig and third grade class pet. She was named after the witch in the class play, Owl and Nunn. She lets herself out of her cage each night and plays with the tempera paints. No one can explain the origins of all the masterful paintings that appear in the classroom. Tatum shrieks whenever someone gets up to use the pencil sharpener.

Ladonna Leal is eleven. She lives in Baltimore, MD and is a beauty pageant contestant. She is sent to spend the summer with her grandparents in rural Virginia. Her entire summer wardrobe is pink, yellow and white. She hates eggs and has never heard of kale. She overcomes her fear of bats and spiders to poke around in the attic, where she discovers stirrup pants and her mother’s childhood diary.

Alana Dillingham         
Tomas Wilson
Toadie McCartney

pschmatz

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 04:38 AM »
jlinsky, that was so great!  Thanks for bringing those names to life - Donovan in particular, I feel like I now know.

RyanBruner

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 09:45 AM »
Alana Dillingham is a latent telepath who frequently finds herself waking in the middle of the night in strange locations, including once, in a row boat in the middle of a lake two miles from her home.  She has no explanations for these "excursions", but can always count on the fact that someone will turn up as murdered in the news the following day. Alana likes to keep to herself, and enjoys playing board games with her mom and dad and little brother.

Tomas Wilson is a bully.  Not because he wants to be, but because he has to be.  Barely 4 feet tall, he is a little person who has been pushed around by his peers for too long and found that being mean is the only way to earn himself some respect.  But inside, Tomas hates being mean.  Everytime he beats someone up, he goes home and cries, wishing he could stop...but he doesn't know how.

Toadie McCartney  is everyone's best friend, the one everyone turns to when they have a secret they have to tell. Inside, all the secrets he has to keep make him want to burst, and so he keeps a "Secret diary".  A diary not of his secrets, but all the secrets of all his "friends".  His real name is Todd, but he got the nickname Toadie from hanging around his denture-wearing grandfather, whose face looks like a Toad when he takes them out.

Gerald Jeremiah

Hattie Underwood

Jimmy "Post" Zuckerman

Becky

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 03:12 PM »
Gerald Jeremiah is an alley cat. Not just any alley cat, mind you. Gerald Jeremiah has friends in high places-very high places. He knows the ins and outs of every sewer, drain pipe and alley way this side of the Potomac. He also knows the secret way into the White House. This probably explains how he knows things like who’s really buried in Grant’s tomb, who shot JFK, and the exact dimensions of the space ship hidden away at area fifty one.

Hattie Underwood teaches fifth grade by day and moonlights as a singer at The Blue Light Café by night. This works out for her most of the time. Except on that one occasion she didn’t have time to change and showed up for class wearing a purple leather mini skirt with matching pumps.

Jimmy ‘Post’ Zuckerman is in the seventh grade. He stands six feet tall and wears a size thirteen shoe. He walks with his shoulders slouched to shorten his size. Except when Betty Lou Potosí walks by, then he stands six foot two.

Zeldon Pits

Stephanie Bittinger

Ognir Rats

Offline jlinsky

• Member.
  • Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I'd like to read more about some of these characters.

Offline Juliarts2003@yahoo.com

• addicted to YA
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Truth, Puffin/Speak, 1/19/2012
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 05:35 PM »
Zeldon Pits is eight years old, has bright red hair and collects boogers & ear wax. Bringing his collection to Show & Tell causes a big row and he's sent home for the rest of the day. Which is just fine with Zeldon because his Uncle Prinius is visiting and has brought along his collection of... well... other types of body waste!

Stephanie Bittinger is the youngest daughter of the Back Bay Bittingers. Her older sister, Candice ran off with a bicycle delivery boy and now lives in the North End with said delivery boy and a pair of six-toed cats, so, it is up to Stephanie to cultivate only the most appropriate friendships. Stable, beautiful and driven, Stephanie is well on the way to redeeming her family's fortunes, until she meets....

Ognir Rats. Oggie (as he's known to his friends) is smart, handsome, and would be every Back Bay mother's idea of her daughter's dream boyfriend - except... his father's not around and his mother's in jail for embezzling money from the Ladie's Aid Society. With his parents both MIA, Oggie stays with his paternal grandfather, Basil Rats, whose claim to fame is inventing a foot-operated doggie pooper scooper.

Oops! Almost forgot my three names...

Portia Feathers
Derek Strong
Eldon Wrighthouse
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:38 PM by Juliarts2003 »
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Portia Feathers is eleven years old and hates her name.  Her parents thought it would be a great idea to capitalize on their last name and opened one of the biggest bird stores and sanctuaries for injured birds in the area.  She loves working with the injured and neglected parrots her parents have rescued.  But of course this cause all types of teasing at school about the name of the store "Birds of a Feather."  Then there is the name Portia which everyone comes up with all sorts of nicknames.  She always wonders why her parents couldn't have named her something normal like Jennifer or Emily.  All the teasing has turned Portia into someone who tends to stand alone at recess, is picked last at gym class and tends not to participate in class.

Derek Strong is also eleven years old and in Portia's class.  He is tall for his age, skinny and wears glasses.  Every boy and half the girls want him to play basketball.  Derek absolutely hates basketball, mostly because he trips over his own feet which feel way to big for him.  He would rather read and figure out strange things on his home computer.  He has made an odd friendship with Portia, because like Portia, he hates being bullied by the class to do things he doesn't want to do and he doesn't like people picking on other people.  He even went so far as to once tell people to "give it a rest." when they were calling Portia names.

Eldon Wrighthouse is an older man, no one is quite sure how old he is since he looks really old, but he gets around better than a lot of younger people.  He lives on the same street and Portia and Derek, however he lives in a block that is in between them.  It turns out that he owns a parrot that escapes and heads down towards Derek's house.  While Derek falls all over his feet trying to help Mr. Wrighthouse capture his parrot.  He finally thinks of Portia and tells Mr. Wrighthouse about her.  Mr. Wrighthouse asked Derek if he can manage to get inside the house without falling to call Portia...

Wanda Jett
Grace Millingham
Chase Hampton
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Wow--I can't believe I didn't see this topic before! Cool idea, Karen.

Okay, Wanda Jett is a tall, elegant African-American woman. She trained for the ballet most of her life and at 22 was "diccovered" by a top modeling agency. Forty years later, she still graces the covers of major magazines and is known for her adamant refusal to have anything to do with plastic surgery and her habit of telling every interviewer the names and ages of all her 20 grandchildren.

Grace Millingham is delicate and blonde, the sort of girl who would be called "fragile" in old Victorian novels. In fact, she loves Victorian novels, and often reads them on her lunch breaks from her job at the zoo. In between bites of tuna sandwich, she regals the lions with tales of manners and mild-mannered mayhem. Jane Eyre is their current favorite.

Chase Hampton is a lumberjack in the northern woods and loves it. The wet feet, even through wool socks--no newfangled neopryne-whatsits made from plastic for him!--the smell of the pine, the presence of too many men and too few women--all of it. His dad was a topper and his grandad was a river jack, riding the logs down the Manistee. Nowadays things are a little different. Some of the men even carry cellphones into the woods. Makes Chase's spine twitch. If only he'd been born a hundred years ago...

Nissa Godfrey
Keelin Godfrey
Tristan Godfrey
Dorran Godfrey

I did four because two of them belong to real people I know, and I was curious what you guys would come up with. If you know the ones I mean, don't cheat. (hee-hee)

AMY
Find your inner-deeper-hidden-secret quirky person! (grin)

StacieVE

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 08:59 AM »
Nissa Godfrey is an 19 year old head cheerleader with a dark side.  She has a the "in" girl persona by day and is a evil dominatirx by night, named Narcissa.  She works hard to make sure her two lives do not mix, but it is getting more and more difficult.

Keelin Godfrey a goth.  He is 17 years old and has just started his own coven.  His is brillient but is trying to escape the demands of having a brillient mind.  He is a disappointment to his parents because they know his potential. He is getting in over his head and is being pressured into doing some macabre things with animals.  Since Keelin is an animal lover he is struggling with fulfilling the needs of his coven.

Tristan Godfrey is a 24 year old surfing beach bum.  He is a confirmed bachelor and plays the field.  He lives with a friend and makes just enough money giving surfing lessons to get by.  He has no aspriations beyond breaking his own surfing record and scoring with all of the beach bunnies.  He goes by "god" to his friends.  :hangloose

Dorran Godfrey is a nerd.  He is a computer genius and is working on new gaming software.  At 19, he is the twin bother of Nissa.  He has very few friends and is constantly locking himself in his room to work on his computer.  His idol is Steve Wozniak, one of the Apple computer inventors.  :oncomputer

Nandy Cremer
Stacie Jarvis
Tuula Hiiro
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:09 AM by Ladyfyre »

Offline kadje70

• Poster Plus
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 06:31 AM »
I'll play!

Nandy Cremer was born Nandia Isabelle Montgomery. It wasn't until her mother married a high school math teacher that she became Nandia Cremer. Then her new grandfather christened her Nandy and that has been her name ever since. Really, is it so hard to pronounce the 'a' at the end? Despite her best efforts, Nandy it is. College, Nandy promises herself. I'll go to a school far away. Nandy will die and Nandia will be reborn. Sure, a bit dramatic, but after years of being the math teacher's daughter, having her mother cut her hair, and forced to wear shapeless sweaters handknit by Great-Granny Cremer, Nandy figured she deserved a little 'dramatic'.

Stacie Jarvis wanted to sit in the back of the class. Ever since sixth grade she had been placed third row center, usually between Robert Ingalls and Marybeth Kuschner. Marybeth was the know-it-all, raising her hand enthusiastically and making that annoying grunting noise to get the teacher's attention. Robert stared. He stared out the window, he stared at the flag, he stared at the clock, and occassionally he stared at Stacie. Jake Zuniga sat in the back row. The quarterback of the football team and the coolest boy in school only knew Stacie by the back of her head. Stacie planned on changing that.

Tuula Hiiro was an addict and Tivo was her dealer. It wasn't her fault that she couldn't go a day without watching Days of Our Lives. At the age of three, her family immigrated to the US. It was her grandmother who decided to learn English by watching soap operas. Twelve years later Grandmother didn't speak a lot of English but she understood it perfectly. Tuula learned many lessons from watching Days. There wasn't anything a good talk with Dr. Marlena couldn't fix (unless she was possessed) and true love conquered all things - even infidelity, which happens a lot. Maybe it was because of the years watching Days that Grandmother and Tuula were the first ones in the family to suspect that Father was having an affair.

Belinda Stockholm
Rodrigo Estevan Donato
Angelica St. John
Julia W.

Offline jaws

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • I devour books
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Belinda Stockholm was the envy of every girl that attended House of the Sacred Heart High School.  She was a blonde bombshell, head of her class academically, captain of the soccer team, and dated the hottest boy in the school, Paul Kinton.  Everything came easy to Belinda until Rodrigo Estevan Donato arrived on the scene...

Rodrigo Estevan Donato had come a long way in his short life.  His dad's knack for computers had taken his family from dirt poor to filthy rich in an amazingly short time.  He was still new at House of the Sacred Heart, but he walked the halls with his head held high.  His dark good looks attracted a lot of attention from groups of giggling girls.  But his confident swagger was merely a cover for a boy who was stepping into a very foreign world.  Could he keep up the charade or would he be outed before his year was done?

Angelica St. John was anything but an angel.  Her "mother," Cherry Lane, was a lady of the night who taught her everything she knew before she succumbed to AIDS at the tender age of 40.  She wasn't really Angelica's mom, but she was the closest thing to it.  Angelica knew nothing of her real mother, who had left her with the Ladies of Broad Street when she was 6.  Now 16, she was alone and determined to find out at last.  Cherry's parting gift to Angelica was a tattered piece of paper that was found in her pocket when she was dropped on the doorstep.  Would it be enough to show her the way home after so many years?

Mandalia Higgins
Kaleef Ignateo
Ryanda Allessandro

Offline Carol Anne

• Poster Plus
  • "Painting, Prose, and Pajamas..."
    • Carol Anne Shaw
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 05:39 PM »
Wow...these are so great.  We should proceed now to everyone writing a 2 paragraphs - we could collectively write a book together!

Mandalia Higgins - Mandalia Higgins is forty-two years old, recently divorced, and has given up her  split level rancher in the burbs, for an overpriced studio loft apartment in the hip end of town, that sits above a funky furniture store.  Formerly "Mandy", she chose to change her name when her divorce was final, feeling that "Mandalia" better reflected her new-age lifestyle.  She has replaced the PTA with hot yoga, her Ford Taurus for a 1966 Morris Minor, and her pearls and stud earrings for colourful chunky ethnic jewelery. 

Kaleef Ignateo - Kaleef is a 39 year old software designer, the son of a Turkish mother and Spanish father. He lives a very predictable life in Seattle, Washington, in a one bedroom apartment on the second floor of a four story building. He is slightly overweight, enjoys espresso, is allergic to cats, and dresses like a man thirty years his senior.  He desperately wants to find female companionship, but because of his slight speech impediment, finds himself in front of the TV most evenings.  He has a secret obsession for Catherine Zeta Jones, and owns every DVD that she ever starred in.

Ryanda Allessandro - Ryanda is a co-owner of a trendy Italian restaurant named "Mamma Grazzi's".  Slick, hip, popular and one of this year's "IT" places to be seen, Ryanda is riding the big Kahuna.  What she doesn't know, is that her suave and charming married lover "Marcello" is also having it off with her co-owner "Lucia".  Not only that, but their rival restaurant "Pepi's" has stolen their secret clam linguine sauce recipe and all mayhem is about to break loose.  Will Ryanda be able to triumph in the face of all this adversity?

Tamsin Wilcox-Mills
SkyBlue
Jayne Jackson
HANNAH & THE SPINDLE WHORL  (Ronsdale, 2010)
HANNAH & THE SALISH SEA (Ronsdale, 2013)
http://carolanneshaw.com

RyanBruner

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 06:34 AM »
Mahitabel Stevens -- Mahitabel (who goes by the nickname Mahi) has never been good at anything.  Pretty much everyone he's ever met has given him the term-of-endearment "klutz".  And he can't argue with that...like the time he was visiting his grandmother and accidentally knocked over the china cabinet, shattering everything except a single teacup.  Or the time he was playing kickball, and he accidentally kicked his friend Jenkins in the shin and broke his leg! But he can't stand just sitting around doing nothing.  Read?  Blech!  Video games?  Boring.  So he's determined to be out-and-about as much as possible...even if he destroys the entire neighborhood in the process.

Pixie Davis -- Pixie is the meanest girl on the face of the planet.  Or at least in the fifth grade. But she's only mean because her dad left home, and her mom is sick all the time, and she's expected to take care of her little sister and brother with absolutely no money except when her deadbeat dad decides to (which isn't often). So it isn't her fault that she gave Billy Watson a black eye.  He was the one making fun of her clothes that are too small and calling her mother "worthless".

Raymond Lucifer Marchand -- Ray's father thinks kids are a joke.  That's why, when he was born, his father put "Lucifer" down as his middle name rather than "Lucius" as his mother had wanted.  Ray spends his days trying to earn his father's respect...respect that seems impossible to come by.  Ray doesn't even really like sports, but his father does, so he tries out for every sports team in existence.  So far, it hasn't worked. 

Jarrett Blackwell
Thomas Gosling
Veronica (Roni) Jade

Offline Tyson McFrost

• Shining Champion
  • Poster.
  • Poster Plus
  • Heroes never die...
    • Frost Lord
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Let's see what I'm made of.

Jarret Blackwell: A mother of four boys and a puppy named Jewel. Her life long passion to dance was derailed when she had her first son Max at the age of 18. Threading through life with a fabricated smile spurred by the love she holds for her kids; her silky dreams are often woven with the fabric of her secret regrets. But she cannot escape her fate. The children are much too young to look after themselves and her husband is hard at work all day. With nothing to hold onto but memories of a time long ago, she tends to the stove and occasionally stretches to watch the starting dance on the Ellen Degeneres Show.
Secrets whisper upon the wind and the moon glows silently in the sky. Jarret Blackwell  sits at the window when the kids are all tucked in and the chores are all set and done. A crystal tear slithering down her cheek and the long lost hope that she can someday dance upon the stars.

Thomas Gosling: I knew Thomas once. When you hear a name like Thomas Gosling a Gothic image comes to mind, but I gotta tell ya you're terribly wrong. Tom was the biggest bully in school and he's not the quiet and mysterious worshiper of darkness like is name implies. He was mean and as dirty as they came. I remember one time he pushed Barry down the stairs, this is not an okay thing to do but Barry was in a wheelchair. A wheelchair for Pete's sake!
People often said that Thomas was a mama's boy and changed into this monster ever since his mother's brutal murder. His father was a drunk idiot and his only mentors were rap and pot. It's sad, but like I said I knew Thomas once and how do I know him? Well, that's because he's my husband: a pastor, a faithful partner and a loving father of four.

Veronica (Roni) Jade: Veronica (Roni) Jade was born Vernon Roni Lesalle to conservative parents in the upper east coast of NY. At a young age he loved Tinkerbell and unicorns and preferred to play hopscotch instead of video games. His parents sensed that something was amiss but they cast this as a normal phase; as something he would grow out of.
They have not seen or heard from their son since he left home to become a Broadway star six years ago, and they eagerly wait for him on the Manhattan Bridge. Expectations run high and they hope he has a beautiful girlfriend with which he would someday wed. They navigate the bridge with images of a handsome young man with a Hollywood smile. A touch on the back and they turn around with glee.
"Hi, my name is Vernon Roni Lesalle, but you can call me Jade."

Here's three for you.

Erebus Drakkar

Stephen King

Oprah Winfrey

(Edited because the names were a bit. . .unreal. Should be doable now.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:59 PM by Tyson D. Mc Donald »
Wannabe Middle Grade Fantasy author and total superhero geek

http://tdmcfrost.blogspot.com/

Juvpoetess

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Erebus Drakkar- Ten-year-old Rebie has a penchant for killing insects with his father's alchemy glass. Behind the tiny, rundown hovel he and his extended family share, that's what you can find him playing at most days-- alone. Sometimes, his older sister drags him along to play with her friend's sister, Arienna. She only likes to play baby games, like Drop the Stone or The Fairy Winks. He can't wait until he turns twelve-- that's when his apprenticeship with the Emperor's executioner begins. He'll be free of his humdrum life then!

Stephen King- The envy of the boys in his class, Stephen is a handsome, confident teenager. His biggest problem is convincing his parents to let him take the college prep classes that will lead to a major in biology; they think he should stick to his strong suit-- persuation-- and go into law like his father and grandfather. After failing to qualify for the science fair with his project about honeybees, Stephen seeks out a mentor who will bolster his self-confidence and help him stand up to his parents' misguided stubborness.

Oprah Winfrey- Flighty, blond haired, blue-eyed Oprah, a willowy and flirtatious twenty-something, works in the research department of a secret government agency. After a wild night clubbing with her college roommate and the roommate's friends, Oprah agrees to a bet-- sleep with the research department's boss, a confirmed bachelor who happens to be the son of a former Vice President of the United States. Oprah is nervous that she won't be able to charm her way to a winning conclusion, which is a new situation, for sure.

Three more names...

Edgar Sloan
Marebuya Ichi
Johannes Fountain
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:25 PM by Juvpoetess »

Offline J.Ro

• Poster Plus
  • People talk in my head. Sometimes I listen.
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 03:07 AM »
Edgar Sloan just had his 71st birthday, but he's not telling.  He spends his day lining up the spines of the books in his antiquarian bookshop,  The Yellowed Page.  At night, he locks the door and gets into his deep blue, and very clean, Thunderbird convertible.  It's not the classic but the latest remake, something he still regrets.  He drives exactly three miles over the speed limit until he reaches Greta's Bar, where he orders exactly 2 scotch on the rocks, Glinlivet of course, before requesting his Karaoke choices for the night.

Marebuya Ichi was given her name by a six year old.  This six year old thought she was naming the cat, "My Very Own Itchy", but her mother, always trying to be sensitive to multi-cultural issues, thought her child was a genius and so ahead of her time for coming up with Marebuya Ichi.  The dog, Spot, delights in teasing the cat.

Johannes Fountain wants nothing more than to be raddest skate boarder.  But with a name like Johannes Fountain, you're doomed to either piano lessons or art lessons, and he was no exception.  Every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday he was picked up by his mother, and driven to either Grinelda's School of Music or to Sassy Sue's Parlor of Paints.  Johannes expected Wednesday to be like any other Wednesday, until he walked through the door of Grinelda's.  In front of him, like a vision, was the new quitar teacher. 

Pistol Cassida
Flaude Robinson
Bitsy Leatherbury
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Offline Emily G

• Poster Plus
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 03:27 AM »
Pistol Cassida realised young that since she would never be able to live her name down, she'd have to live it up. She's got three hundred pistols in her basement, and likes to patrol the town in the small hours looking for crimes to stop and thugs to beat up. Her favourite drink is pink lemonade, but don't tell anyone.

Flaude Robinson is a superstar of the classical music variety: he can play cello, piano and oboe with equal brilliance. His secret ambition is to switch careers and be a pop star, but his managers won't let him. In his spare time he likes entering "who can eat the most chili peppers?" competitions.

Bitsy Leatherbury is the elderly manager of the local pizza place. She has elaborate Celtic knot tattoos on both hands, and insists she's a witch. Of course, no one believes her. Witches, pshaw. Still, they make sure not to offend her, because there's always that rumour about that pizza, you know, the one poor old Katy got the night after she ran into Bitsy's car ... ?

Three more names:

Jessica Bedlam
Lucy Lennox
Waldo Featheridge-Smythe