Author Topic: Day by Day  (Read 118080 times)

Offline Sully

• Poster Plus
    • My art on Etsy
Re: Day by Day
« Reply #1140 on: October 18, 2010, 04:06 AM »
I've started a new early MG/CB story and the characters are already invading my space. Very exciting and scary. Will I actually finish a rough draft of this one?
 :goodluck Scarab
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom.             Anatole France

Offline thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #1141 on: October 20, 2010, 02:06 AM »
I've started a new early MG/CB story and the characters are already invading my space. Very exciting and scary. Will I actually finish a rough draft of this one?
 :goodluck Scarab

Best of luck, Sully.  Just get the computer out (or, if you are like me, the pen) and get writing.

Offline AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
« Reply #1142 on: October 27, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I finally did something worth reporting: I figured out how to change the default photo at the top of my blog to one of my own. http://wp.me/pOi6t-mz

Offline MaryWitzl

• Poster Plus
    • ResidentAlien
« Reply #1143 on: November 08, 2010, 04:03 AM »
Good for you, Anne!

I'm trying to get inspired enough to go and rewrite the chapter I've been working on for a few weeks now, with no success. I've got characters behaving out of character, but I dread going back and sorting it all out. But seeing as how you've taken the plunge, I think I'm going to have to give it a go. 

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #1144 on: November 12, 2010, 10:56 AM »
Wrote until my delicious hot cappuccino turned into a horrible iced one.  Oh well, at least it filled me with enough caffeine to finish my story off. :D  Now that I have finished with my fictional cats, I can go home and cuddle the life out of my real one.

Offline Julia K.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Moonflower Studio
« Reply #1145 on: November 12, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Still plunging, Mary. I hope it's going good for your chapter.

I admit I was really, REALLY discouraged this morning and so totally bored with the plot...wondered more than once why any kid would ever want to read this book, let alone any agent or editor.

Thank you~ I'm glad other sometimes look at their WIP and think this too- but keep plugging along!

Offline MaryWitzl

• Poster Plus
    • ResidentAlien
« Reply #1146 on: November 13, 2010, 02:55 AM »
If it's any consolation, Anne, I was describing my WiP's rewritten, entirely revamped plot to my husband the other day, and while I was talking I felt very excited and animated about it and thought how much better it sounded -- how compelling and funny and kid-friendly. My husband listened politely and then said that he couldn't quite see what a kid might find interesting about it.  I've forgiven him -- it's my fault for using him as a springboard for my ideas when he's thinking about all the work he has to do -- but it was a tough moment.

Writing up a synopsis is like explaining a joke: a really hard slog. There's a real science to getting the perfect combination of pith and fun into it, and a lot of the story's magic can be lost in the process. You know your book is good, but when you're writing a synopsis, it's easy to forget because you can't put in all of the wonderful details that make your story special.  That's what I'm telling myself right now -- I know the story is worth something and I've just got to hang onto that trust until I work through the whole process of condensing it for others. (Especially those awkward b*ggers like my husband.)

I managed three paragraphs yesterday. Two days ago, I wrote 28 words, so I'm calling three paragraphs progress.  Just remember:  we're all in this together.  :hug

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #1147 on: November 15, 2010, 06:17 AM »
Story, cappuccino, pen, paper and a laptop that doesn't work! :grrr
Got something written anyway.

Offline Julia K.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Moonflower Studio
« Reply #1148 on: November 15, 2010, 09:08 AM »
Story, cappuccino, pen, paper and a laptop that doesn't work! :grrr
Got something written anyway.
Story, hot tea,laptop( sorry about your laptop!!) , coffee shop,  and a husband- who should be doing his own work- at the same table - we shall see how much work gets done!!

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #1149 on: November 16, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Story, hot tea,laptop( sorry about your laptop!!) , coffee shop,  and a husband- who should be doing his own work- at the same table - we shall see how much work gets done!!
I suppose that's where I am lucky.  I just abandon the males for a few hours and trot off to a coffee shop.  Most of my work is done long-hand first anyway.  Human male is not so bad, really.  He likes dismantling things and got my laptop going.  Furry laptop has hijacked my dressing gown and won't move.
Afternoon pages went well, I re-writing and never going near pickle again.

Thanks for your thoughts, Julia. :grouphug2

Offline Julia K.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Moonflower Studio
« Reply #1150 on: November 16, 2010, 07:30 PM »
I also try not to have the males at the same table when I write- but we had driven together over a mountain pass in a white out- to a bigger town where he was suppose to be in court ( he is a lawyer)  for two hours- and where I was going to work in a coffee shop  for different scenery and then the other side didn't show and he was done in twenty minutes- so unusual circumstance- we paralleled typed for a while-
yeah that your laptop got going- and glad you had an successful afternoon writing-
nada on my writing WIP today- but did spend the day on Valentine card designs! us illustrators work about 3-6 mth ahead- tomorrow hopeful will be able to report advancement on the writing WIP

Offline AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
« Reply #1151 on: May 23, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Bumping this thread because I just passed the 20,000-word mark on the new WIP and I wanted to tell somebody.  :pages:

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #1152 on: May 24, 2011, 01:56 AM »
Couldn't imagine doing that longhand.
Congratulations, Anne. :cheerleader