Author Topic: wireless keyboard  (Read 5558 times)

Offline buglady5

• Poster Plus
  • PATIENCE
    • Liana Mahoney
wireless keyboard
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:04 AM »
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse.  Ever since, I've been having troubles here and there with letters not appearing on my screen as I type.  For example, if I type the word "chaos" only the "aos" appears, and I have to go back and add the missing letters.  There's no consistency at all in which letters are not appearing at any given time, so it's not certain keys or zones on the keyboard.

My hubby thinks it's because I type too fast.  I, however, disagree, as I have never had this trouble before with other keyboards.  This morning, after less than two weeks of use, the keyboard stopped working, and I realized that the batteries were dead already.  Now that they're replaced, it's working again as it was before.  (Incidentally, I love the wireless mouse, and purchased both the keyboard and mouse in a package deal.)

So, I'm wondering if my problem with the occasional missing letters might have been weak batteries, or is it a keyboard defect?  Have any of you wireless keyboard users ever experienced this?  This particular keyboard has a softer touch than my previous ones, so it isn't as loud, and I was even second-guessing myself for awhile, wondering if I wasn't pressing the keys hard enough to type letters at times.  I also wonder if it's having trouble sending information from the keyboard to the computer when the hard drive is running.  For example, when I was typing in the subject line for this post, the smileys were still downloading, and the letters I was typing didn't appear.  I had to go back and add them.   So many explanations...I just don't know.

Right now, I'm feeling like I need to take it back to the store, just to be sure.  I have big lengthy assignments due over the next month or so, and missing letters means lots of errors in my writing - errors I just can't afford to take the time to find and fix.  I really don't think it's me or my typing, and if it is the keyboard's ability to keep up with the speed of my typing (LOL), as my hubby thinks, then the keyboard has to go IMO.  Of course, we having a major ice storm here in New York today, so I won't be able to get to the store for at least a couple of days.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
buglady

Offline Harrietthespy

• Poster Plus
  • So what's your point?
    • CTB's Homepage
Re: wireless keyboard
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:20 AM »
Check your settings.

Wireless keyboards have a setting (in your preference folder perhaps) where you can control how the keyboard works (speed, etc.)

That may help.  I type fast too and at one point found my keyboard was typing double letters.  At the other end of the spectrum, when set too slow you miss letters.

Hope that helps...C O0

(I think this post may be in the wrong section)
Sacred Mountain (Lee and Low, Spring 2009)

Offline buglady5

• Poster Plus
  • PATIENCE
    • Liana Mahoney
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:37 AM »
Thanks so much.  I'll have to check out my settings, and see if that changes anything.  I've already tweaked the mouse settings quite a bit, and am very pleased with the results.

And, you may be right about this post being in the wrong place.  Sometimes, I think we need a "Technology" area to post stuff like this.  Moderators, feel free to move.

Thanks again,
buglady

saundramitchell

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:51 PM »
I had a hard time using a wireless keyboard, too. Ultimately, I went back to wired, but some of the things that improved performance while I was still trying was to use brand new, lithium batteries, and to make sure that the LED receiver was in a good place (if that's the kind you have.) However, I think your husband may be right- I type around a hundred words a minute when I'm typing straight out of my head, and my wireless keyboard couldn't keep up either. I vote you go uber futuristic for your next one: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/ - that way if it doesn't work, at least it looks cool.  :moose

Offline buglady5

• Poster Plus
  • PATIENCE
    • Liana Mahoney
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:10 PM »
Ooohhhh...I think I'm in love.... :hearts :hearts :hearts  ...simulated clicking sounds....

Thanks!  I'll see what my hubby thinks about this!

buglady

BetsyD

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 05:22 AM »
I was having neck problems and finally purchased the wireless keyboard and mouse.  The keyboard is called The Wave.
I absolutely LOVE IT!

Offline rjschechter

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:59 PM »
Sounds like the keyboard is defective.

I am a very fast typist and my wireless keyboard keeps up with me just fine.  It's a Bluetooth keyboard, which might help, but I used to have a cheapo wireless keybaord that also did just fine. 

The batteries do go pretty quickly, though.  You should stock up and keep them close at hand.

Offline ecb

• Poster Plus
    • ElizabethCBunce.com
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 03:49 PM »
It's been almost a month since you posted, and no doubt you've resolved the problem by now, but I did want to mention that I've been using a wireless keyboard for my desktop for four years now.  It's from HP, so I don't know who the actual manufacturer is, I'm afraid--but the ONLY ONLY ONLY time I EVER have trouble with skipping letters is when the batteries are low.

And then it happens EVERY TIME.

That said--four years, and I can only remember changing the batteries a handful of times.  Like, once a year.  I'm serious.  (While I change the batteries on my mouse probably monthly.)  I'm not surprised that the batteries that came with it didn't last long--those things tend not to, as a rule (like remote control batteries; they last long enough to get you up and running, and that's it).

DH and I both type pretty darn fast, too. :)
Liar's Moon
StarCrossed
A Curse Dark as Gold
www.elizabethcbunce.com
My Blog

Offline buglady5

• Poster Plus
  • PATIENCE
    • Liana Mahoney
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Well, I haven't really resolved the problem, actually.  We tend to think it's a low battery problem, too, but that being said, we're changing the batteries every TWO weeks!!!!! 

It's too late to take the keyboard back to the store.  Still, I'm terribly dissatisfied with the fact that this keyboard is so environmentally un-friendly, and that it will be expensive to maintain.  I've gotten used to the softer touch of the keys, and I have adjusted the speed, so when the batteries are super fresh, there don't seem to be many problems.  But after a week with new batteries, I start to have missing characters as I type.  Then within the week, the batteries are deader than a doornail.

Not sure what I'm going to do now.  We live 45 min. away from the store where we bought it, and due to bad weather on the days we could get there, we didn't get there in time to make the return.  So now I'm stuck with a $100 wireless keyboard and mouse, I guess.  Maybe I should give it to someone who doesn't type much, or as fast, as I do. 

I'm going back to my other keyboard.  I've had enough.

ecb, I'm glad to hear that there are better wireless keyboards out there.  I may try another one some day.

buglady