Author Topic: The Sequel Support Group  (Read 11373 times)

Offline lindsey

• Poster Plus
  • I love lamp!
Re: The Sequel Support Group
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 07:55 AM »
So I wrote book 1 as a stand alone, but my agent said, if you were to write another book, what would happen? I wrote a two paragraph summary, and now I have THREE books to write. Fun? Most days. I love the characters and the world I've created, but it also intimidates the heck out of me because it involves plotting and outlining and... ORGANIZATION.
How do I know what elements to mention in book 1 that will be important in book 3 (the master example being JK)?
For those with sequels/series, did any of you write book 2 while revising book 1? Did book 1 change much once book 2 started flowing?
PRINCESS FOR HIRE Out now!
SEAN GRISWOLD'S HEAD (Bloomsbury, March 2011)
THE ROYAL TREATMENT (Hyperion, May 2011)

justJoan

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 01:26 PM »
I'm working on a four book series. Book one is nearly ready. I have written book two (VERY rough draft) and partial drafts of books three and four. To answer your question lindsey, in my case, book one did change a bit when book two was written. I've written outlines for books three and four and I know where I want the story to go and this has helped with the revisions of book one.

Could I put it aside and work on something that may sell better in the current market? Sure, but I won't. My series may never be published (though I will try), but it has been a learning/growing experience for me and therefore worth it.

Offline Jen

• Uber Sparkly Poster
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 06:21 PM »
So I wrote book 1 as a stand alone, but my agent said, if you were to write another book, what would happen? I wrote a two paragraph summary, and now I have THREE books to write. Fun? Most days. I love the characters and the world I've created, but it also intimidates the heck out of me because it involves plotting and outlining and... ORGANIZATION.
How do I know what elements to mention in book 1 that will be important in book 3 (the master example being JK)?
For those with sequels/series, did any of you write book 2 while revising book 1? Did book 1 change much once book 2 started flowing?

For The Squad, I wrote book two while revising book one... it wasn't TOO bad, but it's not something I would actively choose to do again, because there were several things that changed in book one that then required changing book two (in addition to the other revisions book two needed).  The process was really hectic and frustrating.  On the plus side, working on books side by side that way does give you a lot more freedom in terms of realizing "it would have been so cool if I'd foreshadowed this in book one," because if you write them back to back, you can just go back and include it.  So if you can pull of doing them back to back and keep your sanity, it might be worth it.  But it also might make you want to bonk your head into a wall repeatedly, depending on how the revision goes and how much that changes book two.  I'd say that if you can talk to your editor and get a sense for her thoughts on book one, you'd be in a good position to make the call about whether or not you want to start book two.

m_stiefvater

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 09:04 AM »
I wrote BALLAD, the sequel to LAMENT, right after finishing the revisions for LAMENT. There are a couple of things in BALLAD that made me really wish that I'd started sooner because I wrote myself into corners in LAMENT, but truthfully, I had spent such a long time in the world on LAMENT that if I'd jumped into BALLAD right after finishing the rough draft of LAMENT, BALLAD would've been a painful and terrible thing. :)

I really do like to leave myself breadcrumbs, though, little possibilities in book one that could be expanded into something useful in book two and so on and so forth.

Offline Jessica Burkhart

• Poster Plus
  • 25+ EBTs: Essential Beauty Tricks (Kindle)
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 09:58 AM »
I wrote CHASING BLUE while TAKE THE REINS was still in editing, so it got a little tough in spots when a couple of elements changed. But now that I'm writing from a detailed (very!) outline, it is making current writing sooo much easier. I'll be writing BEHIND THE BIT while CB is in edits, but I think I've got a much firmer handle on where I need to go this time.

Offline KateMessner

• Poster Plus
    • Kate Messner, Children's Writer
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10 AM »
Thanks to those who started and revived this thread.

I don' t have much to add at this point, but I'm about to start my second MARTY MCGUIRE book for Scholastic while the first one in in revisions, and everyone's insight has been great food for thought.
www.katemessner.com

OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW, Chronicle
MARTY MCGUIRE
CAPTURE THE FLAG
HIDE AND SEEK -Scholastic '13
WAKE UP MISSING- Walker, Fall '13

Offline Kiki Hamilton

• Poster Plus
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 02:39 PM »
What a great thread.  I love hearing how so many of you published authors plan (or not) your sequels / series.  I am shopping the first book of a trilogy now and felt like I needed a break before starting the second book.  So I wrote a completely different ms that I'm now working on final revision.   :duh I was going to go back to a 3rd (different) ms where I had previously got stuck on the plot, but now reading this, you guys have inspired me so much I want to get working on book 2 now!

Thanks for sharing what works for you!   :thanks2
Fantasy:
THE FAERIE RING series

YA Contemp:
THE LAST DANCE

http://www.kikihamilton.com