Author Topic: Your life -- Stranger Than Fiction  (Read 26537 times)

Online andracill

• Reader, reader, reader...
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • Worlds within...screaming to get out!
Re: Your life -- Stranger Than Fiction
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 07:05 AM »
That is a great story, Bish :)

I remember meeting up with an old friend (a guy) while I was out with my college boyfriend.  We ran into each other on campus, and my boyfriend waited impatiently while I chatted with the friend.  AFter we left, my boyfriend said, "You never look at me like that."  I assumed he was just being silly (jealous)...of course, turns out I married the 'old friend' (whom I went to jr high, high school, and college with), so maybe the boyfriend knew something, after all ;).

cyn2write

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 07:36 AM »
I really have loved reading everyone's stories.  It's amazing, these coincidences.

Oooh, I have one.  My sister had one of those page-a-day calendars.  And one day, a page fell out of the calendar.  I thought it was no big deal, but my sister became convinced that something horrible was going to happen on that day.

I laughed, thinking she couldn't be serious.  I mean, come on, it's a freaking calendar.  Get a grip.  But no, she said she was sure something bad would happen.

So weeks went by, and all the while we're getting closer to THE DATE.  I could tell my sister was getting more and more anxious.  She stopped eating.  She started spending more time in bed.  She cancelled all her plans for that date.  I think she decided she would just not do anything that day.  Just in case. 

On that morning, I didn't even bother to wake her to see if she would was going to school.  I knew the answer.  She was staying home. In bed.  Doom was on the horizon.

And so, what happened?  Nothing.  Something good, actually. I got to laugh at her for being such a moron.  That was fun.

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 04:27 PM »
When I was born my left foot was backwards. Flexed club, they call it. I had a teeny tiny cast for it and it turned out good as new--my mom just had to make sure I didn't kick anyone. (grin) The doctor told my mom I was probably sitting on that foot before I was born, all comfy in there. (grin)
I'm now 36 and I STILL sit with my left foot tucked up underneath me! It's starting to bother my knee a bit so I try not to do it but it's just so comfy. (grin) It's total instinct. Talk about an old habit!
AMY
Find your inner-deeper-hidden-secret quirky person! (grin)

Offline Sully

• Poster Plus
    • My art on Etsy
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 05:25 PM »
I live in New Hampshire. My Aunt, who lives in England, called about a nanny job in Germany, many years ago.
After talking to the woman on the phone about the nanny job, they figured out that the woman on the phone was one of my coaches from high school in NH!
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom.             Anatole France

Online andracill

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 05:27 PM »
These are so cool!  Keep 'em coming :)

P.S.  Now we know, Amy...of course, I had a cast on my right foot when I was about 10 months old because I was sooooo pigeon-toed.  Back then, I guess that's how they handled it.  It straightened right out, and my right foot is actually much straighter than my left ;)

Offline ixtumea

• Poster Plus
  • Si, se puede!
    • Kim Baccellia
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Ok, I so fit in this category.  Once I sent off an essay on a part of my experience growing up with a bipolar father in the 70s.  I got back my essay covered with sticky notes with comments.  "Unbelievable", "No way a bipolar person is violent", "Couldn't have happened", and "Fiction".  I really got mad at first.  They're saying what I experienced couldn't have happened?

I read parts from my memoir in one of my classes at UCI and had people tell me I left them speechless. 

Add to this my infertility issues, teaching in an inner city school for eight years during the Rodney King riots( yes, we had lock downs and bomb threats), trying to adopt at 40, and other fun things. 
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

cyn2write

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 05:18 AM »
Awhile ago, my company was hosting a trade show in Orlando, which is attended by people all over the country.  It was hard for me to make the time to go down because we had just bought a new house, which was being built, and I didn't want to miss anything.  Anyway, part of my job was interviewing a handful of participants for our show "newsletter".  I interviewed one man and he mentioned that he lived in Pennsylvania, and I said, "Oh, that's where I'm moving!"  The end.

Then I move into my new house, and ... he lives across the street. 

Lynda B.

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 11:31 AM »
I love this thread!

From high school to college I had one main boyfriend--6 years. We were exclusive 95% of the time, but broke up from time to time. We'll call him "Bob". "Bob" was born in another state, was always told he looked just like his maternal grandfather, was a good artist, played the guitar, and had a real gift for math and science. By the time we reached our very early 20's, I felt we were growing apart. I hadn't been in love with him for a while, but didn't realize it. I eventually broke it off.

Two or three months later I was just starting to get my feet wet in the dating pool and not interested in another serious relationship at all. Too bad. I was out with a girlfriend one night on a spontaneous, middle of the week trip to a local dance club. I was there to catch the eye of one of the bartenders I knew. I succeeded in getting invited to his party, and went upstairs to find my cigarettes. Instead I found my friend talking to this guy. She was not at all interested in him so she introduced us by saying, "You guys will probably have a lot in common because you have similar majors," and off she went. Well, she was right; I fell for him right away and he is now my husband. Here are the strange coincidences: He was born in the same state as "Bob". He was also always told that he looked a lot like his maternal grandfather. He is good artist. He is extremely talented in math and science. He plays the guitar. And his name is also "Bob".

But wait, there's more. He had just moved into town and had only been there three days. He and the friend who helped him move went out that night on a whim too even though they had no idea where they were going and it was the middle of the week. They almost went to a different dance club, but were put off by the cheesy music. They asked a random stranger where they should go, and that person sent them to the club where I happened to be. Lucky for me :) Fastforward into our relationship-- we were talking about our ex-girlfriend/boyfriends and it turns out that the last girl he dated before moving to my town was named, you guessed it, Lynda!

The Right Lynda (who quit smoking 15 years ago for The Right "Bob")
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:52 AM by Lynda B. »

Offline Kelly

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Kelly Polark
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 09:44 AM »
Fascinating stories!
My husband and I went to the same high school, he was a year ahead of me.  We basically knew each other's names, but never spoke a word all through high school.  After he graduated college, we met one summer at a local party.  We started seriously dating, and I noticed he had one picture on his mirror of his best friend and him at prom.  In the pic, there was a face behind the two of them, it was me dancing with my prom date who wasn't shown.  So he had my picture up on his mirror for years never realizing it was his future wife!

BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/???  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 12:43 PM »
I am normal, yep.  :hiding  I always think fiction sounds so unreal, things cannot be that easy in real life... or is that just me?

I have no idea how many trips to the emergency room I have made in my life, but I am not as bad as some people I know... like my younger brother...  Then I have had major surgery, I think I am up to 26 time, and no they are not all related.  Although some parts of my body have had surgery more than once.  For example I have had surgery on my left knee five times and my right knee three times. 

Now my first story will be about surgery, what else?  When I was 24 I was diagnoised with Melanoma and ended up going to IU Medical Center in Indianopolis for a wonderful ten day stay.  I spent my twenty-fifth brithday there is a drugged fog.  Now the strange part.  Fast forward to Nashville Tennesse fifteen years later.

I do not even recall which surgery I had, but I was at Vanderbilt Medical Center and was telling the anethesiologists all my surgeries, allergies (I have a lot of those) and suddenly the oen doctor goes "Surgery for Melanoma on your back in 1976, what hospital did you have that at?"  I told him and it ends up he was there and remembered.  He even looked at my back and told me it really healed up well, but he remember my surgery vividly.  (I lost a lot of skin, tissue an muscle from my left should area).  He and I would have kept talking, but someone decided it was time for surgery. 

Liz
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Offline jaws

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • I devour books
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Okay, here's my weird one.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent...

I have four sisters and no brothers.  As a teen, I was closest to Bonnie who was 18 months younger than me.  Bonnie and I would often stop by the local grocery store for my mom once we were old enough to drive.  A guy who worked in the store took a liking to Bonnie.  He would follow her around the aisles any time she came in.  She got so freaked out that she wouldn't go there without somebody else with her.  He never followed her beyond the store, though.

Some time later, Bonnie started dating Ken.  Ken had an older brother Ron, who Bonnie introduced to me.  For a while we dated the brothers.  One day, Ron took me to a wedding of some mutual friends.  You'll never guess who I noticed in the room.  This guy, who I'll call Mark, finally stopped by our table to talk to Ron.  I mentioned that I knew him.  He couldn't place me.  So I told him that he used to stalk my sister.  He denied stalking anybody.  After the reception, we all went to Ron's house and we showed Mark a picture of Ken and Bonnie.  Mark turned red and left in a hurry.  But he started hanging out at Ron's place a lot more...

Ron went into the military and was sent overseas.  At this point, we had become engaged.  We hadn't announced our engagement because he was still paying on the ring and wanted to wait until I had it to wear.  So to surprise him, I used my money from my summer job to pay off the ring and put the announcement in the local paper.  I cut it out and sent it to him.  I literally never heard from him again.  (I found out years later that he was living with another girl at the time.  I still wonder who opened the mail that day...)

Around the time I broke up with Ron, Bonnie asked me to take her and Ken to the drive-in. (She wasn't old enough to drive after dark yet.)  I told her I wouldn't go alone with the two of them.   I did agree to go if she could find me a date.  She had taken a liking to Mark at that point, so she called him.  He wasn't at home, but his brother, Ben was.  So Bonnie asked Ben to go.  He agreed.

When we met, I realized that I knew Ben.  He used to hang around with some of Ron's friends, but had drifted away.  I had actually first met him when I was 16 and he came to repair our TV.  I had sat on the couch and watched him the whole time because I thought he was cute.  I also went with him and Ron to a bar in a neighboring county once to hear a band that they knew.  Ben was a bit wild and weird back then.  So much so that when Ron had stopped into a store for cigarettes and left me in the car with Ben, I got out, went inside the store and told Ron not to leave me alone with Ben.  Apparently, Ben had improved with age...

Ben and I started dating.  Bonnie and Ken broke up.  Bonnie started dating Mark.  (Can you see a pattern here?)

I married Ben.  She married Mark.  Mark was the only brother of Ben and they had no sisters.  So the only chance I had for a sister-in-law was lost.  I got my own sister instead.  In addition,we discovered that my uncle (my aunt's husband, so he wasn't my blood relative) was Ben's and Mark's cousin.  When Bonnie married Mark, he delighted in telling everybody how that was the second time one of his nieces had married one of his cousins.  (I'm sure you can all picture the response he got to that one.)

In the end, Bonnie divorced Mark, so there's still a chance I might get a sister-in-law eventually.  Bonnie kept her married name, though, so we still have the same last name.

Offline jaws

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • I devour books
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Oh, I have one other one.  A lot shorter, too.

When I went back to work full time after having my kids, the only job I could find was a 45 minute drive away.  We lived in a very rural county and my husband was also commuting to that same area.  The winters here are notorious and the roads we drove could be quite treacherous.  White outs were common and the roads were closed completely at times.  So I insisted that we had to move to the city.  I was very concerned about ending up in an accident.

We found a place and moved just before Christmas.  In the first week of January, I was rear ended at a stop light.  In the beginning of February, I was rear ended at a stop sign.  In the first week of December, I was riding with my sister when she was hit by a car that blindly cut across an opening in stopped traffic. 

Apparently, I'm the poster child for that saying about how most accidents occur within just a few miles of home.  I wasn't hurt in the first or last incident, but still have whiplash issues from the February one.  But it appears that the third time was a charm...

Offline 217mom

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
  • SCBWI PAL
  • "Keep the child in view"- Charles Dickens
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2008, 06:04 PM »
I have one that isn't mine, but happened to a very good and trust-worthy friend. For those who write YA, (I don't) it seems to belong there. But this one is true.

When she was seveteen and visiting Paris for the first time, she walked under a bridge when PLOP! a man who suiceded himself landed no more than a foot away from here. She said she must have been in shock, because she just kept going. She visited a museum, had dinner, all the while wondering if this had really happened. It was surreal.

She kept having dreams of this. She's about to walk under the bridge. She knows something will happen. Then the body drops. She wakes up. This went on for years.

About ten years ago she read a biography of a writer who's husband jumped off a bridge in Paris on that very day. She put it together. The dreams stopped.
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing August 2012

THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com

Offline jaws

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • I devour books
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 07:15 PM »
Wow!  That is just too weird.

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
  • A broken pencil is pointless.
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2008, 07:39 PM »
217Mom, wow! That is sooo weird.

I'm telling you. Strange things happen in Paris.
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE: A SALTY YARN, Roaring Brook
GRIMELDA, THE VERY MESSY WITCH, Tegen/Harper
CITY SHAPES, Little Brown
http://www.dianamurray.com

CJRay

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2008, 01:58 PM »
217mom - That is so bizarre!

My story is more along the lines of destiny, I think.

In 1984 I moved from Miami to Jacksonville, Florida. At the time, I had a serious boyfriend and was heartbroken that my father had been transferred. When I enrolled in school, I was assigned to a seat of a girl who had dropped out of school (my now hubby's sister). About two months following our move, I was at a friend's house with my boyfriend who had traveled up for a visit. A good friend of hers had dropped by for a few moments and had brought a friend of his (my now hubby). I had taken a job at a fast food place and made friends with a girl (my now hubby's sister). 6 months later, I had met a girl who had become my best friend almost overnight (my now hubby's other sister), then she wanted to introduce me to her brother who she thought would like me (my now hubby). I had since been broken up with my boyfriend, but was dating someone else when her brother came up from Tampa to meet me. We instantly liked one another, never remembering that we had met a year earlier at my friend's house, and how only recently learned that I had worked with his sister and had been given her seat at school. Being that I was dating someone else, we just hung out on occasion for about 6 mos. Until, the day when a mutual friend stopped by (that neither of us knew had known each of us) and reminded us that we had met a year earlier. Within a month, my boyfriend and I had broken up and hubby and I went out on our first date. Six months later, we were married (May 5, 1986), and have been married for 22 yrs. Pretty cool, that "destiny" thing.  :love

(Hope ya'll were able to follow this. It's much easier to tell in person.)

Offline Danette

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • SCBWI PAL
  • My goal is to be of use.
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Thought I'd add this. My husband and I were born two days apart, in the same hospital and both our mom's are Louise. I tease him about how I remember him keeping the whole nursery awake.

Danette  :D
THE TROUBLE WITH HALF A MOON
G.P. Putnam's Sons
SSYRA List 2012-2013

SAVING BABY DOE
G.P. Putnam's Sons

http://Danettevigilante.com

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 01:06 PM »
DO NOT PUT THIS IN A BOOK TO GIVE ANYONE IDEAS!

When I was 13, my family and my father's brother family decided to have a vacation together in Culver IN.  My Uncle was the councler for the band at Culver Military Academy.  So, we stayed in a small apartment in downtown Culver that my uncle rented to sometimes get away from the school.  In the end, my older brother and my cousin's older brother and sister did not come along so it ended up being four adults, and three kids, two thirteen year old girls (slightly boy crazy, and loved wandering around an all boy Military Academy (it was at that time) and an eleven year old boy, my younger brother. 

At this time Culver was still very small, not a lot of vacation homes and not much to downtown.  We were given the freedom to come and go as we please during the day time as long as we were around for meal times.  Our parents were soooo trusting. 

We did many things that our parents probably would not approve of, my aunt and uncle are dead and my cousin no longer has to worry about them finding out what we did (oh yeah my mom would still have a heart attack).  My brother and I talked about this recently and both agreed we would never mention it to our parents so I am really not believing I am writing this down in print. What am I thinking. 

One of the shortcuts we frequently took was across a short railroad bridge - it crossed a small creek, it was probably only the length of one train car.  We went this way all the time and never met a train. 

Well one day, we hear the train's whistle and the words "Double dog dare you," were uttered.  Oh, yeah we thought we were so smart and brave and this was going to be one of those short trains. 

:train

WRONG, oh so very wrong.  We decided to turn our back to the train and hang onto the side of the metal side of the bridge while the train passed.  I did not pee my pants, fall down or have a heart attack, but I will never get close to a moving train again!  Those little bridges shake like everything!  They feel like they are going to fall down!  And the train, it trys to suck you under!  I swear it does, there is a mighty force as it goes by that I can remember to this day and I will never ever forget. (and when people say tornadoes sound like a freight train all I can think of is you never stood next to a freight train, they do not sound the least bit alike! A train is clashing metal as the wheels hit the rails and it thumps and bumps and makes this horid screeching metal sounds and the whistle and horn!  (tornadoes are strong winds that make a lot of noise, but they are just a loud blowing wind - and yes I have been in a tornado - another story for another day).

The train ended up being a very long train (probably not as long as it felt), I know we heard the screech of the brakes as it slowed down, but it kept going).  This was also back in the days when there was a caboose on the end and when the train finally got past us.  I think the man in the caboose looked as relieved as we felt that we were all still standing. 

I know we did not go back to the apartment because the way we were shaking and the looks on our faces would have been a dead give away that we had just done something really stupid.  So we probably continued on our way and just sat down by the lake somewhere to regain our equilibriam. 

I do not go around railroad crossings.  I do not stop on railroad tracks, I look both ways when crossing a railroad track and I do not walk down railroad tracks!  I have a very healthy respect for trains! 

Anon.
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Online andracill

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 04:11 PM »
Wow...some of you have had some seriously strange lives :)

And 217 mom, that Paris thing is bizarre!!

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 06:29 PM »
I've got another one--this isn't about me, but back in high school my friend Kathy's family had a picture on their living room wall. It was Kathy as a kid, with the same dark hair in her eyes and shy grin. We all assumed it was her, at least, until she told us it wasn't. It was actually her older sister, who had died before Kathy was even born. She'd been very young and there was some sort of accident--I believe it was a sort of hit-and-run. Anyway, a few years later Kathy was born, and apparently always resembled that sister very closely. Her mom still had the dress the girl wore in the picture, and once she tried it on. She looked exactly like the picture of her dead sister. She said her mom cried when she saw Kathy, and Kathy never tried on the dress again.
Wierd, huh? There could be a very reasonable argument made for guardian angels and that sort of thing, I think. (grin) And Kathy's whole family is pretty messed up--she has an older sister who has several children, most of whom have been raised in foster care, an older brother who has been in and out of jail, parents who divorced in a very ugly way, and her dad died of overwork in a nursing home when he was in his 60's. Through all of this, she's been pretty sane. She went through a messy divorce of her own a few years back, but is getting remarried in October.
I dunno--you guys think it's possible the sister she never met has been keeping watch over her all this time?

AMY

busterchops

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2008, 06:16 AM »
This may sound a little weird, but it is something I will never forget. 

When I was about 13, I had a really good friend (best friend at the time) who I spent a lot of time with.  When we would get together, we would laugh about everything...and laugh....and laugh.  It's the kind of laughing where you just can't stop and after awhile you can't even remember what you were originally laughing at.   

One day, we were laughing at something and we happened to be standing in front of her large vanity mirror.  In the middle of this laughing fit, we looked in the mirror and both of our faces looked EXACTLY THE SAME for a few seconds.  It sounds strange...but we both saw it!  I didn't say anything to her at first and she didn't say anything to me.  We were speechless.  Then, both of us looked at each and at the same time shouted  "DID YOU SEE THAT!"

I don't know what it means, but I know for a fact that we both saw it.  It is like we were the same person for those few seconds.

I regret that over the next few years, we grew apart and eventually lost touch.  I do wonder how she is doing from time to tome.  Maybe its time to Google her:) 

Offline Danette

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • SCBWI PAL
  • My goal is to be of use.
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2008, 06:19 AM »
Wow busterchops! Freaky!

Danette  :D
THE TROUBLE WITH HALF A MOON
G.P. Putnam's Sons
SSYRA List 2012-2013

SAVING BABY DOE
G.P. Putnam's Sons

http://Danettevigilante.com

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2008, 07:03 AM »
Busterchops, you should definitely look her up. I just got in touch with an old junior high school friend (she found my sister on Facebook) and she was there when a Ouija Board told me my husband would be a "Fireman". Yep, it's true.

Here is something funny that happened to me. In high school, I lived on the upper east side and there were some random, interesting people in my building. One of them was Fabio. I rode with him in the elevator, and we got off at the same time. I thought, "Hmmm. That's strange. I didn't realize Fabio lived on my floor".  We kept walking in the same direction and I thought, "Does this  guy live right next door to me or something?" I put my key in the door and it wouldn't open. Finally, I looked up and saw the wrong apt number. Apparently, I got off the elevator too early. My face got bright red as I turned around, and guess who was standing right behind me, chuckling? Fabio! It was his apartment. I was so embarrassed. You know how you get really extra embarrassed by things when you're in high school? Honestly, I thought he was really cheesy (he used to wear leather vests with no shirt) and I didn't think I was attracted to him but clearly he made me nervous on a subconscious level.

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Yeah, that leather-vest-with-no-shirt thing only really worked on Mark Slaughter. (grin!)
AMY

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2008, 01:44 PM »
Hee hee! Yeah. Or maybe Stephen Pearcy from Ratt.

Although it was the late '80's so I guess he had a bit of an excuse. I wore some pretty embarrassing things back then so I probably shouldn't throw stones.

Still, he was quite a character.

Offline Mandy Hubbard

• Poster Plus
  • A professional is an amateur who didn't quit!
    • WEBSITE
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Fun stories!

I dont have a real anecdote, but I grew up on an operating dairy farm (it was the family's INCOME, not a hobby) and I was once crowned the County Dairy Princess. Howver, I can't stand milk and am allergic to cows. Not hay or dust, but the actual cow.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:52 PM by Mandy Hubbard »
Agent with D4EO Lit
Published by Penguin & Flux:
PRADA & PREJUDICE
YOU WISH
BUT I LOVE HIM
RIPPLE
IN TOO DEEP
DANGEROUS BOY

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2008, 02:09 PM »
Oh, that's funny, Mandy. I've never heard of a cow allergy. (grin)
Diana--true about Stephen Pearcy, but Mark was much better to look at. (hee-hee!)
AMY

Word

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Wow!  Love these stories.  Great thread.

I'll share my weird tale that I've never told anyone.

On Sept 10, 2001 I woke up from a very unsettling dream.

In the dream, I'm riding in the back seat of a car.  My close family members are in the car with me.  We are trying to get somewhere although I don't know where.  I just know it was urgent.  We are stopped at an intersection and cannot cross because there is a huge funeral procession passing through.  The cars drive very slowly with their lights on.  The line is never ending.  When I realize that we may never be able to cross the intersection, I begin to panic.  For some reason my dream-self believes that we must turn back and find a place to hide our car.  I urge my mother to turn the car around (in real life my mom does not drive at all) and we find refuge in somebody's empty garage.  When we are safely parked, I say "It's okay.  We're all safe."  And then I wake up.

The next day of course was Sept 11, 2001.

Later that day, I thought of my dream.  To this day, I believe my grandmother's spirit was trying to tell me something.  Weird huh.

Word.

Offline Amaris Glass

• Poster Plus
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2008, 04:33 PM »
Okay, this doesn't really compare to all the truly freaky stuff shared so far, but it was weird. And annoying.

Several years ago my friends' band was playing a birthday party, and I went because I am a groupie. And the whole night I was acting completely normal, I swear, mostly interacting with the drummer, who was my ex-boyfriend. So then we're all leaving and this girl comes up to me (never met or seen her before this night–hadn't even met her, actually) and whispers, "The one in the red shirt. You're in love with him." And starts to walk away, leaving me with my mouth hanging open, absolutely floored. "Good luck," she called back over her shoulder.

What the...I PROMISE I was not staring at him or intimating in any way that I was interested in him. But the thing is, she was right. I was in love with him, had been for years, and am still...affected by him, even though–well, she was dead-on when she wished me luck, because he and I will NEVER happen...weird.

(and Amy, Diana–wait, there are people who remember Mark Slaughter, that he existed, that he was real? What?!! I thought I was the only one! I still have that video on tape. Sigh.)
I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation.

Offline 217mom

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
  • SCBWI PAL
  • "Keep the child in view"- Charles Dickens
    • My Website
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Holy cow, Mandy!

And Word, Life is as strange as the strangest fiction, and then some.
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing August 2012

THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com