Author Topic: Your life -- Stranger Than Fiction  (Read 26697 times)

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • A broken pencil is pointless.
    • www.dianamurray.com
Re: Your life -- Stranger Than Fiction
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Amy, I was more of a James Hetfield type of gal, but perhaps I shouldn't mention that in public.

Mandy, it's true. I can imagine reading about a County Dairy Princess from a dairy farm with a cow allergy and thinking, C'mon? Am I supposed to believe that? Life is strange.

Stirling, that's weird.  I must be influenced by all the paranormal stories on here. When I first read your post and got to the part where you said "even though–well, she was dead-on", my mind omitted the word "on" and I thought for a second that she was a ghost or something.
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE: A SALTY YARN, Roaring Brook
GRIMELDA, THE VERY MESSY WITCH, Tegen/Harper
CITY SHAPES, Little Brown
http://www.dianamurray.com

Offline 1846

• Poster Plus
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2008, 04:09 AM »
Mandy, my mom grew up on a dairy farm and to this day she resfuses to drink milk.  (She's 84 now.)  As a child during the depression her parents actually paid her five cents a glass just to make her drink it.  The irony of course is that I've always loved milk, and never understood her phobia about it.

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2008, 08:07 AM »
Stirling, maybe you should use that as a story. The good thing about writing is you can change the ending...and the names. (grin)
James Hetfield was always a bit too intense for me, Diana, although I did go through a bit of a Metallica phase in college when I had an enormous crush on a long-haired, Native American, Metallica-obsessed guitarist. (sigh)
AMY
Find your inner-deeper-hidden-secret quirky person! (grin)

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Jeez, Amy. That sounds like an exact description of someone I dated back then! (LOL)

By the way, 1846, your [first] story was so freaky. It's bizarre how everyone is connected.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:30 AM by Diana Murray »

Offline Mandy Hubbard

• Poster Plus
  • A professional is an amateur who didn't quit!
    • WEBSITE
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2008, 08:50 AM »
Mandy, my mom grew up on a dairy farm and to this day she resfuses to drink milk.  (She's 84 now.)  As a child during the depression her parents actually paid her five cents a glass just to make her drink it.  The irony of course is that I've always loved milk, and never understood her phobia about it.

My grandma used to buy the nesquik mixes--strawberry and chocolate--just to get me to drink it. Probably becuase I broke 2 bones in 2nd grade (2 weeks apart) and the doc said i needed more calcium. i would use like HALF the mix just to down the milk.

now, CHEESE, on the other hand....YUMM.
Agent with D4EO Lit
Published by Penguin & Flux:
PRADA & PREJUDICE
YOU WISH
BUT I LOVE HIM
RIPPLE
IN TOO DEEP
DANGEROUS BOY

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2008, 10:18 AM »
I don't drink milk either, but I do put soy milk on my cereal. It's nice to have a non-dairy option, I think. (grin)
Diana, at least you got to the dating part! Mine was embarassingly unrequited all the way. (sigh) Um, your guy wasn't named Mike Willis, was he? Just had to ask...

Offline Amaris Glass

• Poster Plus
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2008, 10:49 AM »
Diana–maybe she was a ghost. Or on drugs. I didn't know anyone at the party (the actual guests), so I couldn't ask anyone about her. I was so freaked out I just left–my friends kept asking me what she said and I was like, "I am NEVER telling ANYBODY, EVER."

Ah, Metallica. Ah, the greasy-haired, zit-faced boys I liked simply because they wore their shirts (or Slayer, or Megadeth, or Judas Priest). Didn't matter how unattractive you were; if your hair was long–or trying to be–I would swoon. Yikes!

And Amy, if I made that a story, I would change the beginning, where I started liking said futile crush, and the middle, where I couldn't stop liking him, and make it be that he never moved out here. So then there would be no story and instead maybe I wouldn't like the wrong guy for TEN YEARS.

And since we're talking about milk now and not weird happenings, I LOVE milk and am allergic to it. And I still drink it (with cookies–how can you not?)
I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation.

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Stirling, I hear ya!! Ugh.

Amy, I love soy milk too! But right now, I'm addicted to vanilla almond milk. Have you tried it? Delicious! (Oh, and no. It wasn't Mike. It was  J-something. I'm having a mental block.)

:offtopic
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:22 AM by Diana Murray »

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2008, 03:09 PM »
Vanilla almond sounds good. My favorite, though, is probably Westsoy's Chocolate Soy Shake. It's slightly thicker and actually tastes like chocolate milk, not with the wierd taste most soy milk has. I'm used to soy because my son has dairy issues, but I don't really like it any more than "regular" milk. (grin)
AMY

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2008, 03:38 PM »
I do not know how my brother and I got off on the topic of our grandparent's deaths last night on the telephone, but we did (yes, he is the brother that was on the train bridge with me.)  Anyway, he was telling me that my maternal grandfather called and told my mother he wanted everyone to come over one night.  I was away at College and my older brother was living in New Mexico.  My grandfather had been diagnoised with cancer three years earlier and we all knew that at any time he could go.  For the first time I heard what went on that evening.  My grandfather ate some soup and read his favorite passages from the Bible to everyone, fell asleep for a short time, talked about how it was soon going to be his time to go, talked some more about his favorite scriptures and hymns.  My brother was a senior in high school and he remembers watching television and hearing my grandfather give his final sigh and turned to see him die.  But what he remembers the most is while my mother and grandmother were crying and my father was taking care of all the calls, he sort of sat there stunned because he realized that my grandfather called everyone together because he knew he was going to die.

Meanwhile I was in my dorm room with a group of others, seriously studying - not!  I knew the instant the telephone rang that my grandfather had died.  I remember I was doing something from my top bunk and I stopped completely and looked on as my roommate took the call, knowing what was being told to her.

Two years earlier, the same thing had happened when my paternal grandfather had died, while he had alzhiemeirs (spelling?), his death was not expected, but I knew the call coming in was about his dying.  

Flash forward five years and I am teaching in So. Georgia.  The 10 pm news is over and I suddenly get this feeling that something is very wrong at home.  I mean very strong.  I sort of toss it aside, but it does not go away.  By the time I think I should do anything I realize it is around midnight at my parents house and probably not a good time for me to call.  In the end I would have driven myself crazy because in the time before cell phones, neither brother living in the area, they would not have been home.  I did not call and tossed and turned all night.  I got up and went to school.  When the rates went down, I tried calling them, no answer.  Eventually they called me that evening.  My great-uncle on my father's side had died at 10:30 my time and by the time my parents got to my aunt and uncles house and things were settled enough to call anyone they felt it was too late to call us.  Of course they did not know I was tossing and turning in bed, wonder if I was whack or if something had truly gone wrong.

Now my brother's story - he had a golden retreiver named Megan that my step-grandmother loved (and she did favor boys over girls - she made no secret of this).  As she was getting to the end of her life she lived with my parents for a time and then moved into a group home where a woman took care of three of four elderly women.  My brother goes everywhere with his dogs.  When Megan came to my parent's house she would go right to my grandmother and sit down beside her and she would pet her.  She would then tell Megan her arm was tired and Megan would get up and walk to the other side of the chair.  They kept this up until my grandmother finally told Megan she was too tired to pet her any more and Megan would go and lie on her feet.  My grandmother would then tell her what a good girl she was for keeping her feet warm.

The night my grandmother died, Megan, who never got on my brother's bed, was up on his bed crying, nuzzling him and kept trying to get him up.  She would not leave him alone, but did not want to go outside.  My parent's informed us of my grandmother's death the next day.  My brother is convinced to this day that Megan knew, because the time of death and her making such a fuss fit.  

Because he once showed up to visit her without the dog, and she really bawled him out, he told Mom that he would not come to the funeral unless he was dressed "as is" (which in those days for my brother was pretty bad) and with the dog.  So Megan showed up at church and went to the cemetery.  At the cemetery she left Mike's side and went straight to the grave site and put her nose inside the grave and laid there until the service was over.

And no, I did not know ahead of time that the telephone calls informing me of my grandmother's deaths was coming like I did my grandfathers.  I have no clue why - age?

Liz
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Offline Elaine (aka sweetpea)

• Poster Plus
  • Hope Springs Eternal
    • E. M. Alexander
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Well, this isn't MY life, but I just saw the story today. A man received a donor heart from a man who committed suicide. The transplant patient eventually married the donor's widow, and then himself committed suicide.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20080830/Affairs.of.the.Heart/

OMG. Seriously. I've got no other words for this one.

Cynbad

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2008, 06:21 PM »
A brilliant thread! I enjoyed reading all the stories so far. I have plenty of my own....where to start...where to start....How about today then. My cat was in the process of coughing up another hairball. I followed him around the apartment with a wad of paper towels to mop up the cat glop. Yuk. He started heading to my bedroom. He likes to leave "presents" on my bed, so I quickly shut the door so he couldn't get in. I was about to close the second door which leads to the bathroom when I noticed it had somehow closed on it's own. I mentally retraced my steps a million times today and can't figure out how that door closed.  I wonder if it was  the ghost of the woman who killed herself in my apartment in the 90's, long before I moved in. She seems to like to make her presence known from time to time in the most unusual ways.

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Cynbad, I love the way you lead up to your story. Very funny. It does make one wonder what has happened on one's property in the past. This is a perfect opportunity for some creepy Halloween smileys.  :skull   :skeleton

And back to milk for a second. Amy, I'm probably the only person who drinks soy milk by choice, huh? I actually enjoy that weird soy taste!

Cynbad

« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Thanks Diana! It's the time of year for Halloween smiley's so bust 'em out!  I drink Soy Milk too, only because regular milk makes my stomach really angry.

Offline sbk(linda)

• Lollygagger
  • Poster Plus
  • Yeehaw!
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2008, 09:11 AM »
My son has a weird story. During the summer, he started to notice that every time he came into his room, his Jack Sparrow figurine (a big one - about 12") had fallen over while he was gone. Or sometimes he would wake up and it had fallen in the night. He didn't think too much of it at first -- we do have three cats who like to snoop.

He started to experiment with it. He slept with his door locked one night so no one (cats or people) could come in. When he woke up? It was lying down. He set it up, closed his door and came up for breakfast. When he returned, it was down again. This went on for over two weeks until he finally came to me to tell me what was happening. What freaked him out was that it wasn't wobbly and it never fell when he was around.

Of course, I laughed. It's just unsteady. Stuff like that falls down all the time. Right? So we set up some experiments. The only way to get it to fall on its face like it always did, was to push it from behind, but it was up against a wall. When the desk was shaken, the figure would fall, but it always fell backwards instead of forwards. We set it up on a shoe box in the middle of the room and left the room, closed the door and guarded it for a few hours (there's a tv right outside the room, so my son guarded while he watched tv). Two hours later, we returned to the room and Jack had not only fallen off the box, but he had fallen forward, flipped onto his back and tossed his hat halfway across the room. We were unable to recreate this fall - when we pushed him off the box, he ALWAYS landed on his front.

So yeah. We were kinda freaked out. My son decided sleeping in the basement wasn't so cool after all, but still did it. Oddly enough, two days later it all stopped and Jack hasn't fallen down since.

Offline Pons

• Poster Plus
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2008, 05:39 PM »
My story is seriously lacking in the creepy department, but it's still unbelievable - at least to me.

The summer before my youngest daughter left to be a freshman at a large university (30,000 underclassman), she had her wisdom removed.  When we checked in with the nurse at the oral surgeon's office, she and my daughter started chatting and the nurse said, "Oh, maybe you'll see my sister.  She's going to be a freshman at the same school."  I thought, What are the chances of that happening?  Can you guess where this is going?  My daughter and the nurse's sister were assigned to be roommates in the dorm.  Six years later, they are still friends.
 :smile

Laurel

Offline Pons

• Poster Plus
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Well, in the previous post, I see I left out an important word.  My daughter had her wisdom teeth removed, not her wisdom.   :dr :dr :dr

Laurel

Offline 1846

• Poster Plus
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2008, 04:43 AM »
My daughter had her wisdom teeth removed, not her wisdom.

I noticed that last night when I first read your post and almost commented on it, but then I figured you really did mean wisdom, and were just editorializing on the quality of that 30,000 student university.

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2008, 05:41 AM »
Pons, I wondered about that too but I figured her wisdom would be restored at college. :)

That's weird, sbk. Are you sure there weren't any sneaky siblings involved? I know what you mean though. I had a kind of similar thing happen when I was really young, perhaps six years old. Every night I neatly put my slippers in front of the bed–left on the left and right on the right. And every morning, I woke up to find them switched. I always imagined tiny elves were responsible. But I was really into the story of the Shoemaker and the Elves at the time so I'm thinking that had something to do with it. Or maybe I just didn't know left from right.

CJRay

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2008, 05:59 AM »
Okay, I don't know if it's stranger than fiction, but I've only seen it happen in cartoons until Thursday.

My cat killed both of my birds. YEP! Just like in the cartoons. They even had the cute little hanging cage that looked dome-like.  :gaah

I knew he was fascinated by them. But, I would have never thought he would be able to get to them, especially because they were hanging high in a large window with no furniture around. So, what did he do? He literally climbed the curtains and batted at the cage until it tumbled down off of the hook. I wasn't at home when it happened, fortunately. But, my oldest daughter and husband found my little guys just laying on the floor like they were sleeping with the cat sitting beside them looking down at them like, "What'z up?"

All I could think about was Tweety bird and Sylvester and all of the silly commercials and programs that depict this kinda thing happening. Well, it did. Snow-pea and Zebra-cake :rip 

CJ   :cry2

Offline Kelly

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Kelly Polark
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2008, 06:26 AM »
Oh, that's funny, Mandy. I've never heard of a cow allergy. (grin)
Diana--true about Stephen Pearcy, but Mark was much better to look at. (hee-hee!)
AMY
This thread was awesome already, but got even better when 80's hair metal men were mentioned.. :sing  Hee!  I'm still so stuck in the 80's hair metal mode, I catch a few 80's band concerts every summer!  Here's Mark (minus the leather vest) with my hubby's cousins and I last summer! 

BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/???  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

Offline sbk(linda)

• Lollygagger
  • Poster Plus
  • Yeehaw!
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2008, 07:28 AM »
Pons, I wondered about that too but I figured her wisdom would be restored at college. :)

That's weird, sbk. Are you sure there weren't any sneaky siblings involved?

Definitely no siblings involved. Between the locked doors and the fact that no one else was home on some of those occasions, we are fairly certain no one was playing a trick. At one point I suspected my son was messing with me, but he was wayyyy too freaked out to be doing this for fun.

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Oh Kelly, that is totally classic. (grin!)

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Kelly, that's awesome! :D

sbk, that's really strange. It's so funny that you set up little experiments. I would be freaked out too. At least it stopped.

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2008, 05:18 PM »
I just saw Spiderwick Chronicles with my kids today--maybe you have a brownie. (grin) Putting out honey seemed to do the trick in the movie...
AMY

Offline sbk(linda)

• Lollygagger
  • Poster Plus
  • Yeehaw!
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2008, 08:20 PM »
HA! I never thought of that! I don't mind the idea of a brownie - I'll put out honey and see what happens.  :whistle

Offline andracill

• Reader, reader, reader...
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • Worlds within...screaming to get out!
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Wow, some definite freaky coincidental type stories (and one poltergeist) ;)

I've had a number freaky, small-world coincidences, mostly through people I knew in college.  But I won't share them all here, at least not today.  I love reading through these!

Offline Pons

• Poster Plus
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2008, 06:05 PM »
This is definitely on the lighter side of weird, but once when I was playing Clue with two of my kids I knew the Who, the What, and the Where on my first turn--without even asking a question.  It was my finest Game-Board Moment.  The kids thought I was cheating, but I wasn't.   :dr :dr

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Weird! I love psychic moments like that.

You must have read my mind, Pons, because I was also planning on reviving this link today.

We're getting ready to move out of our apartment and that made me remember something that happened the night we moved here. I live on the second floor of a building in a very Jewish neighborhood. The night we moved here, honest to goodness, somebody threw a bagel at our window! You just can't make this stuff up. Luckily, there wasn't any cream cheese and lox on it because that would've been messy. :)

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Nice! A drive-by window-bageling. (grin)
Anyone else ever have that thing where they say the same thing as a sibling at the same time? I remember doing that with my brother as a kid a few times. Once time we said something, looked at each other, and did it again. I can't remember what we said, just that it was funny and a little freaky at the time. It was pretty rare for us to have that kind of connection! (grin)
AMY