Author Topic: Your life -- Stranger Than Fiction  (Read 26726 times)

Offline Pons

• Poster Plus
Re: Your life -- Stranger Than Fiction
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2008, 08:24 PM »
My grandmother and great aunt (sisters) lived in different states, but several times bought the exact same birthday card for me when I was a little girl.  Once they bought the same present - without contacting each other about what they were buying.

I love stuff like this. 

Laurel

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2008, 04:57 PM »
I have a friend that when I am with her we can often look at each other and know what the other was going to say before we even open our mouth.  This is especially true if we are out and about and see something we think is a bit strange.  At times we have to make sure we do not look at each other in certain circumstances because if we do we will burst out laughing.   At times this happens without even looking at each other and we try to stiffle our giggles.  We met our freshman year at Indiana University and we sort of had this instant bond and it has always been like this, and the longer we know each other the closer the thoughts tend to go unsaid. 

And yes, as a kid my younger brother and I often said things at the same time as well as some of our best friends.  We used to do the counting of 1 through 10 and then yell you owe me a Coke.  Although no one ever bought anyone a Coke...   Sometimes I still do this with my brother, I still argue with him as much as I did when I was a kid also.  :gaah

Liz
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • A broken pencil is pointless.
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2008, 02:09 PM »
A drive-by window-bageling.

Good one, Amy! I have to tell my husband that one.

As far as psychic connections, I do feel that way with my daughter sometimes. Sometimes she answers my questions before I ask them. But perhaps I'm just that predictable...
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE: A SALTY YARN, Roaring Brook
GRIMELDA, THE VERY MESSY WITCH, Tegen/Harper
CITY SHAPES, Little Brown
http://www.dianamurray.com

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2008, 05:43 PM »
Thanks! I just modified it from the "drive-by fruiting" in Mrs. Doubtfire, though. (sheepish grin)
Find your inner-deeper-hidden-secret quirky person! (grin)

sary

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2009, 07:54 AM »
Oh, dear.  I'm afraid my whole LIFE is just one long story no one would believe if I wrote it down.

Here's one example.  One of the many crummy places I lived during college was a trailer with ... shall we say ... design flaws.  Someone had attempted to remodel the place, and had stopped in the middle.  There was no end to the bathtub -- you could see right down into the underpinning.   Which was fine, since there was no running water.  The phone jack only worked half the time, and the lights occasionally flickered.

The night before I started student teaching, I was understandably nervous.  We didn't have a car and we lived a mile and a half off the bus route.  I had to work until 6 the night before, so it was pretty late by the time my partner and I rode the bus to our stop and walked through the January darkness to our trailer.

We flipped on the lights.  Well, that's not entirely accurate.  We flipped the light SWITCH, but nothing happened.   As we were fairly poor and hadn't been entirely consistent with the bills, we thought maybe the power had gotten shut off.  A quick call to the power company from a neighbor's phone told us otherwise.  Our account was up to date; the electricity simply wasn't working.  We managed to feel our way through the trailer, tripping over the alarmed cats, to get to the breaker box, but nothing we tried would restore the power.  Later we would learn that the wiring had failed entirely and would have to be completely redone.

Exhausted, we walked back out the mile and a half to the bus stop and waited 25 minutes for the next bus.  We rode it to Wal-Mart to find my ex, who had agreed to meet us there.  Filthy, tired, and nervous about the big day ahead, I paced around the Wal-Mart entrance by the drink machines, watching for my ex's car and ranting and raving to my partner.

My partner was very supportive.  She stood with me, held my hand, and patted my hair, trying to calm me.  Until a woman approached us and said,  "Hey, I've got no problem with ... you people ... but would you mind not being affectionate in front of my daughter?  I just don't want to explain it to her."  I glanced past the woman, and, sure enough, her daughter, all of ten, was glaring at us with her arms crossed and her face red.  Too exhausted to know what to do, we stepped apart and stood like stone, waiting for our ride.

Eventually, my ex arrived.  She took us to her house, where I could shower and hang up my clothes for the next day.  I emerged from the shower to learn that her dog had knocked my clothes off the hanger and walked all over them with his muddy feet.  She didn't have a washer or dryer.

With a groan, we called my partner's sister, who was less than supportive of us. She agreed to let us stay over at her dorm if we could get a ride there. My ex drove us there and we did laundry in the dorm laundry room. Of course the dryer didn't work and I had to hang up my clothes to dry, hoping they would manage it in the scant four hours till I had to be getting dressed.

My partner's sister (who has since grown up a lot and whom I adore) spent much of the night explaining to my partner why our relationship was a sin and why she should move back into the dorms and leave me.  Eventually, I managed to fall asleep, wedged onto half of the top bunk, using my partner's sweatshirt as a blanket.

Three and a half hours later, I slithered back down off the top bunk and squeezed in a quick shower.  Dressed in my damp but more-or-less clean and unwrinkled outfit, I slipped outside to catch the bus.  I was sleepy, undercaffeinated, and extremely upset from all the mishaps leading up to this all-important first day of student teaching. 

Once I was at school, I managed to relax and settle into the day, forgetting all the woes of the night before -- until I noticed one pinched red face, all of ten, glaring at me in the cafeteria.

"I saw you," the child said in this voice that spoke volumes to what her mother must have told her.  "I saw you at Wal-Mart last night."

I smiled wearily.  "I saw you, too, dear. Did you buy anything nice?"

She walked away without answering and I sank onto the bench, completely done in.

Offline Amy Spitzley

• Poster Plus
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Oh man, Sary, that is one h@ll of a bad day!!!
Find your inner-deeper-hidden-secret quirky person! (grin)

Offline andracill

• Reader, reader, reader...
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • Worlds within...screaming to get out!
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Wow, that's one heck of a rough day -- and yeah, if you put that in a story, no one would believe it.  Hope it got better from there!

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2009, 12:59 PM »
 :hug  I hope things have improved.  Nothing like having a bad day and then a lot of judgemental people around you all at the same time! 
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

sary

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2009, 05:30 AM »
Things have gotten much better since then!  I now have plumbing, electricity, a car, AND a teaching degree!

xRainyDarknessx

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2009, 08:59 AM »
My cousin once told me that when you sit on someone's head for to long it will explode. I believed her. I was like, nine when this happened. :star2

DawnP

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2009, 06:03 PM »

A co-worker (that I did not know well) and his wife were going through a difficult separation.  My parents had divorced when I was three (on my birthday) and it had always been hard on my mother.  I offered the co-worker support and encouragement.  We soon after found out that not only do he and I have the same birthday, but he was born the exact same day (and year) that my parents divorced. He has since chaged jobs, is back together with his wife, and I have not spoken with him since.  Strange coincidence!

Offline andracill

• Reader, reader, reader...
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • Worlds within...screaming to get out!
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Wow, that's a very interesting coincidence, Dawn :)

Offline CarlP

• Poster Plus
    • Boylit Blog - Books for Boys
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2009, 06:09 AM »
My high school sweetheart babysat the children of a particular family while she was in high school and even college.  During the summers, she "nannyed" them on Cape Cod while they summered there. 

One year, in the middle of several years, she decided not to go to the Cape with them.  She and I split up some time in college, though we are still very good friends.

Some time after I met the woman I eventually married (yes, otherwise known as my wife) I learned that she had been the girl that "nannyed" those kids on the Cape, the one summer that my high school/college sweetheart did not.

Now, Rhode Island is small, but it's not THAT small. 
Carl

====================
Boylit Blog - Books for Boys
http://www.boylit.com

Contact me if you're interested in writing for the Boylit Blog!

DawnP

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2009, 06:49 AM »
Carl, it's amazing how often things like that happen! You sound like you got the right girl (I hope)!

Offline CarlP

• Poster Plus
    • Boylit Blog - Books for Boys
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2009, 06:58 AM »
Carl, it's amazing how often things like that happen! You sound like you got the right girl (I hope)!

I did and I am happy to say that the other is a good friend and my wife and I socialize with her and her husband.   :yup
Carl

====================
Boylit Blog - Books for Boys
http://www.boylit.com

Contact me if you're interested in writing for the Boylit Blog!

Offline MaryWitzl

• Poster Plus
    • ResidentAlien
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2009, 11:53 AM »
The doctor who took out my sister's tonsils was convicted for murder shortly after. I was supposed to have had my tonsils out too, but got let off the hook.  I've still got my tonsils!