Author Topic: Stepping into the mind of a child  (Read 5968 times)

Christye

Stepping into the mind of a child
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:25 AM »
Here's a link to an exercise to help you step into the mindset of a child.   :confetti   :tigger

http://christyscreativespace.blogspot.com/2008/08/theres-nothin-like-smell-of-sparkely.html

Christy

morescribbles

Re: Stepping into the mind of a child
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 03:09 AM »
Gorgeous!  My near three-year-old said today, 'crocodiles aren't my friend Mummy, not really because they won't give me a cuddle and they have spiky tail teeth.' Hmmm...I'm afraid that I'm not mixing the senses as beautifully as your little one did but it sure gives a different view on the world lol. 

Offline lemon shoelace

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:40 AM »

That reminded me of my 4-year-old half sister, she calls sequins "shinys". It always makes them sound more magical.

Offline Lindsey B

• Poster Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:50 AM »
 :D  My four year old calls anything grey "silver" and anything glittery "golden". As in, "I found a little bit of golden, mom."
And yesterday he told me "When I'm five, I will go to school. And when I'm 25, I will go to grad school." I asked him what he would study in grad school, and he said "Toys."

Rena

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:13 PM »
Oh Z-Cat -- love the "Toys" comment! :)

HollyB

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 04:38 AM »
Last month I was bike-riding with my eight-year-old daughter and we were going up hill.  She said, "Mommy, This ...is ...breathtaking!"  :smile

Bish

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 07:27 AM »
One time a friend and I were in her car with her grandson, about age four. She asked him to "crack the window." He got the strangest look on his face, then made a fist and was about to hit the window when she realized what she had said. "No, no, honey I meant, roll down the window just a little bit."

I've never forgotten that.

Lynda B.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52 AM »
Not the same as mixing senses, but I think this fits in with the general theme. When I was little my parent's always chuckled when I would ask to play with my mother's 'breakable dolls' (china dolls).

I like the 'breathtaking' comment! I've been on lots of breath taking hills :)

Lynda

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 05:17 PM »
When I was around four and my younger brother two which would make my older brother nine, my dad wanted us to pose under the Cherry Trees in Washington and he told us to go stand under the trees.  I dutifly followed my older brother, but my younger brother was (and still is) very hyperactive and he ran all the way to the trunk of the tree.  I remember some old (older) man laughing hard and saying to my father, "Well you did tell him to stand under the tree." 

Now the funny part of this is my father had no patience for Mike's boo-boos only with the stranger laughing at Mike, he had to be very polite and ask him to come and stand with Rich and me...  Not on your life was my brother Mike going to Move until his picture was taken under the tree!  I think my mother convinved my father to pretend to take a picture.  This done Mike came out and joined the rest of us. 

Mike is the inspiration for a lot of my stories, he was so literal in his interpatation of life and his hyperativeness sure got him in a lot of spots that provide hours of story telling.  Toss in a little of my childhood and then the things I saw teaching and with my neices and nephews and other children I have been around.  Life sure is interesting. 
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

ritajr

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 07:03 AM »
During one of my computer literacy classes, I directed the kindergarten students to stop working on a particular game.
"Click on the stop sign and then say yes."
Everyone clicked on the stop sign and when the two words "yes" and "no" appeared on the screen, I heard several little voices shout out, "Yes."

I giggled as I rephrased my direction, "I meant CLICK on yes."

ccory

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:23 AM »
Some of you might have had a similar experience . . .when my middle daughter was a toddler, she had a great way of asking to be held. She'd stop by my leg, raise her little arms up high and say "Mama, hold you!"  We speculated that it came from me asking "do you want Mama to hold you?" but it always melted my heart.

Happy Holidays everyone,

Carolyn

Offline 217mom

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
  • SCBWI PAL
  • "Keep the child in view"- Charles Dickens
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Nice, Christy!
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing August 2012

THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com

JMKirk

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 02:03 AM »
I was standing at the till in Woolworths and my son, then about three years old, was a little further down the aisle where I could still see him. Instead of coming up to me and speaking quietly he turned around and shouted, 'Mum, I need a poo! It's at the hole!' It was cringeworthy at the time but I laugh about it now!

morescribbles

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 08:53 AM »
lol that reminds me of an experience I had yesterday when my three-year-old son decided to tell everyone in a restaurant,
'I GOT DIE-EAR,' wjhile holding his ear protectively.  He'd heard us talking about his diarrhoea but hadn't quite grasped the meaning of the diagnosis!
 :embarrassed2

Offline Ruth Donnelly

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region missouri
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Readatouille
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 04:37 PM »
These are great. Kids do have a unique way of expressing what they're thinking. They haven't been brainwashed into saying things "properly" yet!
When my oldest was little, he was a great one for coining phrases. Once, after he'd harassed the cat a little too vigorously, she must have given him a poke. He ran to me complaining, "Mommy...China has sticky fingers." Another time, he got out of bed while my husband and I were having a late night ice cream snack.  "Oh!" he said, smiling conspiratorially, "I see you have spoons!"

sary

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 05:36 AM »
Oh, I love these.  This is why I teach what I teach;  my kids have never lost that unique insightfulness.

One of my favorites (in response to me saying, "Please take your fingers out of your mouth."): "I'm sorry, I just don't want my tooth to fall out yet, 'cause the tooth fairy's broke right now!"

And another favorite -- this is a request a student made of me: "Move moon that way please?"  He was pretty sure if he just asked nicely enough, I could move the moon for him!

Offline Artemesia

• Official Shenaniganizer
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • Administrator
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
  • It's a bird! It's a plane! It's..oh, it IS a bird.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 03:11 PM »
There was a little girl I used to provide childcare for. When she was about 4, she was HUGE into anything princess. She was convinced she was one. So one day I see her knuckle deep in her nose, and I say 'princesses don't pick their noses, honey', to which she replied 'booger princesses do'. What could I say, she had me there, lol.
:chicken KPC#1: Let's Get Cracking! #2: Bok! Bok! Boom! #3: The Birdy Snatchers OUT NOW!! #4: Heroes On The Side DEC 2014

http://cyndimarko.com