Author Topic: any Brits?  (Read 15973 times)

Tessadragon

any Brits?
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:00 AM »
hello. I'm down in the South East of England...it's hard to find forums for children writers in England so i looked in here (though eventually i may migrate over to USA to be with my bf over there)
~Tessadragon

Offline Pippa

• Pippa
  • Poster Plus
  • Never give up!
    • Pippa's Ponderings
Re: any Brits?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:49 AM »
Welcome Tessadragon!!

I'm kinda, sorta ... have Brit parentage and lived in Cheshire for a few years a long time ago. I was brought up on Brit authors and after living in New Zealand, the UK, and Canada, I spell words the UK way, as well as write about kids in settings that aren't American.

I think this is quite the cosmopolitan forum and it's wonderful to have you join us!

:flowers   :love   :flowers

http://pippa_bayliss.livejournal.com/
Facebook: Pippa Bayliss
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

catephoenix

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:54 AM »
Hi Tess, another Brit here - I live in Liverpool.  :hurrah

Offline Selsey

• New Poster
  • Like Saturn only with rainbow rings!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:37 AM »
Hello Tess,

I'm English, originally from Middlesex but have lived in America (New Jersey) with my American husband and two kids for the past fifteen years.
Welcome to the boards, if you do move over here you'd love it, I still miss England though, all my family is still over there.

Best wishes,

Georgina

Offline Jenny Moss

• Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
    • Jenny Moss
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:44 AM »
I want to be British.  :D
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury/Walker
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury/Walker

http://jenny-moss.livejournal.com/

Offline annemleone

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 05:47 AM »
Hi,

Not British, but currently living in Bristol.  The UK SCBWI group is quite active here, with an email list and online critique blog, if you have the money to join.

Best wishes,
Anne
critically-yours.blogspot.com

JMKirk

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 01:31 PM »
Another Brit here! I'm in the south west of Scotland! 

Offline Carol Anne

• Poster Plus
  • "Painting, Prose, and Pajamas..."
    • Carol Anne Shaw
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Hi fellow Brit,
Well, I was born in England (Bournemouth) but I've been in Canada most of my life.  My husband is from Bedford, So, while we are Canadian, we still live on Tetley's and marmite, and have an innate gift for sarcasm. Most of my relatives are still dotted around the south. Where abouts are you?
HANNAH & THE SPINDLE WHORL  (Ronsdale, 2010)
HANNAH & THE SALISH SEA (Ronsdale, 2013)
http://carolanneshaw.com

Offline Sully

• Poster Plus
    • My art on Etsy
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 03:05 PM »
My mom is a Brit. She grew up in Sandhurst and I have family in Somerset.
I live in the US and have visited England several times.
Welcome to the boards!  :bear2
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom.             Anatole France

Offline lemon shoelace

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 06:06 AM »
Hi,

Another Brit here, over in Norwich.  :yay

Hooton

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 06:29 AM »
I'll add my name to the list of Brits.  I'm based in London.

CH

vklibrarian

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Hi there,

I'm not British, I'm American.  But I live in London. 

sarahantz

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 10:47 AM »
I'm another Brit, living in New Zealand!!!

Offline MaryWitzl

• Poster Plus
    • ResidentAlien
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 11:08 AM »
I'm not British, but my husband is and my kids have dual nationality. Sometimes I say 'nappy' instead of 'diaper' and 'petrol' instead of 'gas' so  I figure I've got some honorary status.

Offline AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
  • SCBWI PAL
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 12:00 PM »
My son leaves next Sunday for a semester at the University of Lancaster. Does that count?

kazdreamer

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 04:45 AM »
I'm a Brit and have lived in London most of my life. :)

*waves*

Yunaleska

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 11:44 AM »
I live on the Hampshire/Berkshire border and I'm a native!

Tend to adopt some phrases from across the pond though...

Captain Ink

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Born & bred an Englishman (Berks originally, but Manchester, Dover, Rochester & S London have all been home at one time or another), now living in WI, USA.

Offline MaryWitzl

• Poster Plus
    • ResidentAlien
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 11:32 AM »
Captain Ink,  I once heard a man from Manchester tell a woman from Northern Wisconsin that the U.K. was very cold in the winter. To her credit, the Wisconsin resident did not laugh. I passed through Wisconsin one winter and it beats even Scotland for cold hands down. How are you coping?

(Sorry to go off topic here...)

Captain Ink

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Captain Ink,  I once heard a man from Manchester tell a woman from Northern Wisconsin that the U.K. was very cold in the winter. To her credit, the Wisconsin resident did not laugh. I passed through Wisconsin one winter and it beats even Scotland for cold hands down. How are you coping?

(Sorry to go off topic here...)

It's bloody freezing!  :snowplow I'm pretty much a soft southerner, so I haven't got used to the cold yet. Then again, there's a fair few native WI-iites who tell me they haven't got used to it yet either...

GaryC

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 10:45 AM »
I've just joined, and I was born and bred in the currently freezing South.

Offline RebeccaC

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Member since 2007
    • website
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 12:14 AM »
How about a naturalized Brit? Originally from New England and now living in North Yorkshire.
Rebecca
IT'S RAINING BATS AND FROGS (Feiwel&Friends, 2015)
THERE WAS A WEE LASSIE WHO SWALLOWED A MIDGIE (Floris, 2014)
www.rebeccacolbybooks.com
@amscribbler

Offline thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 06:10 AM »
Tessadragon,

I live in Ireland and if you look, I do tend to post up quite a few on this website.  It's even worse in Ireland.

Just one thing, Nunya, what's North Yorkshire like?  I lived in Bradford and there wasn't much to see around there.  Good at teaching GCSE english though.  I got my love of writing through my english teacher!

Don't know what the weather's over there, but it's nippy in Ireland right now. 

Offline RebeccaC

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
    • website
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 12:14 AM »
Hi there Thundering Elephants!
Love the name! And wish I lived on the Emerald Isle--it's gorgeous over there!

North Yorkshire is also quite beautiful (we're at the edge of the Yorkshire Dales) and nothing like industrialized West Yorkshire where Bradford lies. Having said that, I've not done justice to Bradford yet, having only been once for an Indian meal.

My husband and I also taught English for a short time in Taiwain. It was a great way to learn exactly how much we didn't know, or took for granted, about our native language!

I blame my writing and reading affliction on an early start as a latch-key kid---not that I recommend it. I'm still waiting for someone to bring the key and let me out.  :jail

Happy writing!
Rebecca
@amscribbler

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Thanks for the compliment.  Top secret where I got the name from, but it's a bit better than my boring real one.

Can't beat the indian meals in Bradford!  Saying that, ironically, it wasn't until I returned to meet up with family on holidays that I actually began to eat them.  Ireland hasn't quite mastered the true concept of indian food yet.  (there are only two restaurants in Cork, where I live and they don't do it justice!).

By the way, Rebecca, I don't think blaming is such a bad thing if you enjoy it.  I got my love of writing through my father.  He's an english teacher.  However, he created a character for me when I was a child by leaving books hidden around the house.  The "phantom" left signs all around the house until I found the book.  It took me five years to figure out who was really giving me the books.

Being a latch-key kid isn't so bad either.  It gives you an excuse to be resourceful with your time.  Ireland is scenic, but as I'm sure you are aware, England can be just as beautiful.  Where do you do most of your writing?  I tend to write in a coffee shop since there's too much distraction at home (namely my cat who dances on the keyboard).  I've become such a regular, I get a great discount on the cappuccinos, so it's not all that bad. Better get off the computer, my partner wants access rights!

Hope your place is dryer than here!
Thunderingelephants

Offline RebeccaC

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
    • website
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 01:56 PM »
Man, I wish I'd had a 'phantom'. Forget the Easter Bunny and his chocolate egg trails, let's all have phantoms who leave book trails. My ideal! Your father obviously had a good imagination also.

My writing is mostly done at home. I find coffee shops and train rides are great for brainstorming ideas but I need to be locked back away in my room all on my own to write anything decent. Up until now I've primarily written picture book texts but I'm trying to expand my horizons (and skills).

Best wishes,
Rebecca
@amscribbler

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 05:07 AM »
Dad probably got his sneaky phantom side from being an english teacher.  He confiscated some weird things back in the 80's.  It was torture trying to find the prizes from the phantom.  He definitely knew where to hide them.  As for writing in coffee shops, they are definitely better for me.  I put my mp3 on and ignore humans all around.  Writing in silence doesn't cut it for me.  Also having cat who constantly dances on the keyboard can indhibit.  Good inspiration though.

Talk to you soon.
Thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 04:43 AM »
Rebecca,

I've forgotten, what is the word limit with pb's?  Also, I'm confused.  I live in Ireland so we don't use term like 'middle-grade' etc.  What age is that?  I probably write for 6 to 10 year olds depending on my story.

Thanks

Offline Natalie

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Flying the Dragon, Charlesbridge 2012
    • Natalie Dias Lorenzi
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 05:36 AM »
Hi thundering,

Harold Underdown has a wonderful site for children's writers, and here's an article on writing PB's that mentions word count: http://www.underdown.org/mf-picture-books.htm

Middle Grades are usually written for children ages 9-12.

There's an early reader category for kids 6-9 (depending on their reading level) who are now reading chapter books on their own (like Junie B., Magic Tree House, etc.).

Again, Harold has a lot of good articles on his site, and you can also peruse the Picture Book and Middle Grade threads here at Verla's under Genre.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:46 AM by Natalie »
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
SOMEPLACE LIKE HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 07:09 AM »

Thanks Natalie
 :frog

got a massive puddle in my garden, so he's very appropriate.
Any tips for writer's block?  There are three stories in my folder waiting to be finished, but I can't seem to find the inspiration to finish them.  I have looked at and created a shortcut to my desktop for picture book section on Verla so I'll have another look.  It's a bank holiday here so I think I'll go enjoy the sunshine (while it lasts).