Author Topic: any Brits?  (Read 15967 times)

Offline Natalie

• Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Flying the Dragon, Charlesbridge 2012
    • Natalie Dias Lorenzi
Re: any Brits?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 07:49 AM »

Any tips for writer's block? 

You asked this question in another thread, and I replied with a list of threads that talk about writer's block. I'll cut and paste my response below in case you missed that:

Hi thundering,

If you do a search of this topic on the boards, several threads come up:

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=5037.0

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=32591.0

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=167.0

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=2872.0

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=29052.0

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=24011.0
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
SOMEPLACE LIKE HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Offline Juliarts2003@yahoo.com

• addicted to YA
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Truth, Puffin/Speak, 1/19/2012
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 07:53 AM »
I want to be British.  :D

me, too :D
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Tessadragon

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 12:42 AM »
 :wow How lovely it was to read all these replies. Just been on a heavy housecleaning stint. A couple asked whereabout in England I am: I'm down in Frimley, Surrey, which is about 30 minutes from the Guildford Book Festival and a 40 minute train ride away from London. I look forward to chatting with you all on the boards!

Offline thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 04:48 AM »
Tessadragon,

Ever been near Yorkshire?  It must be the most contrasting part of England.  I went to York last time I went back to england. I couldn't believe the difference.  Nunya might be able to tell you about it.  Bradford isn't exactly what you'd call scenic.  If you like mills and factories, you'd been in heaven.

I suppose there's always the National Photography Museum, but I wouldn't know.  I never bothered visiting.  As I've said before, I got the love of english from my teacher.  He had the strongest yorkshire accent ever.  Sometimes my little cousins remind me of him.  I love listening to them, their voices are humourous.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 05:32 AM »
I want to submit to Britain from Ireland. 
My mum brought me back some 1st class stamps from England.

Does anyone know how many would I need to use for return postage of an A4 envelope?  It usually costs 1.75 Euros to post from here.
 :thankyou

Tessadragon

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 08:45 AM »
Nope, not been to Yorkshire yet...been to the normal places like Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Sussex. Yorkshire's on my to-go list.

Postage...thundering elephants, it's better to go down to the post office when submitting and bring a second same-size envelope. Ask for return postage as well, afix the return postage to the spare envelope, as well as addressing it to yourself and put that spare envelope inside your main envelope with the submission material.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Tessadragon,
I am aware of the postal process.  I was actually referring to the cost.

Heliotrope

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2009, 12:36 AM »
Hello, yes, I'm a Brit. Thought I'd say hi! :smile

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2009, 05:27 AM »
Hi Heliotrope,
Interesting name and welcome aboard   :surfer:yacht
I'm actually irish, but I pop in from time to time.

I have a question actually.  I'm going to London in August and was thinking of visiting Legoland.  Ever been there?

Heliotrope

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 01:12 AM »
Not me. I have heard it is good though...

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 02:32 AM »
Yes, we were looking at the map and virtual tour yesterday.  It does look good.  A bit pricey though.  I think it was £32 per person for the day.  I think there would need to a lot of lego around.  Did you have it as kid? :bricks

sdp

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Hey I'm a Brit, native to the south coast. I almost moved to the states with my ex. It didn't work out :cry2 but it has given me loads of time to work on my WIP so it's all good.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Aah, I'm glad the Brits are back.  But I still haven't really found the leprechauns.
That may be changing in September.

Offline Franzilla

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
  • Gah!
    • FranziskaGreen.com
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I'm a Brit, living in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan (the snow's been a real shocker, love it!). I was wondering if any of you had had any experience or thoughts on the different markets (US vs UK). Are there trends/styles of children's books that British publishers wouldn't touch, likewise in the US? I've noticed subtle differences in picture books - here in the US, books tend to be more cutesy (and about bears), in the UK, there appears to be more humour (humor!). Has anyone else noticed any patterns? I'm just interested to know whether a particular story might be better suited to a UK publisher than one in the US, seeing as I could submit in either country.

Offline annemleone

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 07:01 AM »
Hi Siski,

It's like we've switched places!!!!  I grew up in Michigan and am now living in the UK.

There are definitely differences between the market, though sometimes these differences seem intangible and hard to categorize.  There are also different trends.  Actually blogged recently about how big historical fiction is in the UK, where it's not really so big in the US.  The US market is definitely bigger, so I think there are slightly more opportunities there, more agents to query, more publishers to consider, and more opportunities...  like I think tween novels are possible in the US, whereas in the UK they're still kind of a non-genre.  But on the flip side, the smallness of the UK market means it's easier to meet people, and I have found more opportunities publishing wise (instead of competing against 4,000, for example, I'm competing against 40).

There are several agencies I have found which have agents on both sides of the pond.  Greenhouse Literary springs immediately to mind, but there are others. 

So nothing too specific, unfortunately.  I'm just beginning to get a feel for it myself.  I would look into the area you're particularly interested, in both countries, and see what you find.
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Offline Treeny

• New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2009, 09:58 AM »
Hey, I am a Brit, originally from Southampton, but now living near Orlando Florida!! Nice to see some fellow Brits on here!

:grouphug2

Offline Franzilla

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • Gah!
    • FranziskaGreen.com
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 11:35 AM »
You've gone from rain to sunshine! I went from rain to snow and a little sunshine!

annemleone - you look like you're in Michigan in your photo, or is that the UK?! Yes, I can see there are advantages to either side, definitely. Something else I think is a difference (at least one I perceive) is that in the US there's so much more emphasis on the nation, as a whole - historical figures such as Lincoln and the like, there are tonnes of kids books on people like that. In the UK, there's perhaps more focus on older history - kings/queens, that type of thing. Plus I don't see the same desire for local-based books in the UK (partly I'm guessing because it reduces your market). There are lots of Michigan-focused fiction books, and the same for other states, but that doesn't seem to exist in the UK at all.

All very interesting! Good luck, whatever side of the pond you're on.

Offline annemleone

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2009, 08:46 AM »
Siski, hah, you're not the first person to wonder that about the picture!  It IS UK, though, in the forest outside Inverness (that's Loch Ness in the background).

Definitely interesting point about the US having more of a regional market...   I wonder if the UK neglects its more recent history, at least for kids... perhaps the more recent UK history doesn't seem as glamorous as kings and queens, but more warlike and bloody... I don't know.
critically-yours.blogspot.com

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 01:17 PM »
Don't come to Ireland for the foreseeable future if you want to remain dry.  It is  :rain :rain down.  Can I come and join you in Britain for a few days?  Much appreciated!

Offline Franzilla

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • Gah!
    • FranziskaGreen.com
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 07:49 PM »
For the Brits: I'd love to hear of any new releases in the picture book or YA genre by British authors that I may not have heard of over here. Or any UK-based web links too.

Thanks!

Offline RebeccaC

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Member since 2007
    • website
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Siski,

Here are a couple of useful links that should help with your question:

http://www.wordpool.co.uk/

http://www.achuka.co.uk/index2.php

IT'S RAINING BATS AND FROGS (Feiwel&Friends, 2015)
THERE WAS A WEE LASSIE WHO SWALLOWED A MIDGIE (Floris, 2014)
www.rebeccacolbybooks.com
@amscribbler

Claire Pyatt

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2010, 11:23 PM »
I'm a Brit too! I'm from Kent in England. (Legoland is great by the way!) :smile xxx

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2010, 06:00 AM »
I'm a Brit too! I'm from Kent in England. (Legoland is great by the way!) :smile xxx
I had almost given up on this thread.  Didn't visit Legoland last time I was in England because I thought it might not be worth it.  Is it better than Madame Tuassaud's?  There was a three hour wait to get in.  Didn't go there either.

Claire Pyatt

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2010, 08:53 AM »
oooh, that's a toughie because I love them both! I would say that Lego land is really more enjoyable if you have young kids with you (although I have to say that I enjoyed it too!), but Madame T's is better for adults........have you been to the London Dugeons? The queues are normally smaller and its just as good as MT's (though definitely not one for the kids.....VERY scary in places!!) xx

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2010, 12:53 PM »
 Got no kids, so that wouldn't be a problem.  From what I can remember, the reason I didn't go to Legoland was because it was so expensive, although from the website, it looked good.  Maybe next time I visit England I will visit.  How big is it anyway?

Claire Pyatt

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Not huge....you can easily spend the whole day there, but you'll get to see/do everything which is nicer than having to leave before you've seen it all :) Hope you enjoy it if you do go xx  :chickendance

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 06:30 AM »
Sadly, not any time soon.  No cash!  When I was going to go Madame Taussaud's, I didn't go in because the wait would have been longer than the tour around and it didn't seem worth it.  Did go to the Aquarium which was excellent.  All that marine life would probably feel very at home here.  It is teeming.

Offline Franzilla

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • Gah!
    • FranziskaGreen.com
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Thanks, Nunya, for those links!

The Science Museum gets my vote for kid and adult entertainment. Buttons to press, earthquakes to experience (really!), cool interactive stuff like where you can age your face (scary!). And plenty of places to stop and get an expensive coffee. Love it. AND IT"S FREE!!!!

Offline Treeny

• New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2010, 12:41 PM »
Just heard that they are opening a Legoland in Orlando where I live now!! Yay!!

Claire Pyatt

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2010, 01:48 AM »
I agree Siski The Science Museum is great.....so is the Natural History Museum (scary dinosaur exhibits!) and both places are FREE xxx