Author Topic: do you write anywhere in particular?  (Read 6776 times)

Offline denise

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • www.denisejaden.com
    • Denise Jaden
Re: do you write anywhere in particular?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 08:46 PM »
ahhhh, I dream of having an office to write in one day! I write at the kitchen table, or once in a while in a recliner in my living room. One night per week I head off to a coffee shop, but find I get very little actually accomplished there. It seems with all the chatter going on around me, it feels natural to do things like catching up on emails.
www.denisejaden.com  
Losing Faith (Simon Pulse 2010)
Never Enough (Simon Pulse 2012)
Writing With A Heavy Heart (2012)
Fast Fiction (NWL 2014)

Offline MaryWitzl

• Poster Plus
    • ResidentAlien
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 11:54 AM »
Lately, I've been writing in two different places.  On the rare occasions I finish work early and no one wants to ask me a question, I sneak down to the university computer room and sit among great hulking Turkish boys, furtively trying to get in some blogging.   When I get home, I sit at our dining table and write as my three teenagers shout, argue, sing, and horse around and my husband snores away to beat the band.

Peace and quiet are distant memories.

Offline nova

• Poster Plus
    • NovaRen.com
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 01:44 PM »
I can't write in the apartment I share with my other half (the place is way too small), so I have to write out in the wilds of Manhattan. I joined a writers organization, a big loft space downtown where I go to write; I can go 24/7. You don't get your own desk -- you take what's open -- so I lug all my writing stuff around in a backpack and set up each time. My current favorite desk is in a little dark corner, a small pocket away from traffic, and I'm sitting here now. Other writers are around typing, hearing them is almost comforting. I don't know what I'd do without this place.

I also have a favorite café where I go to write in the mornings before work -- it's surprising how much I can get done in the noise, because the back room gets very crowded! They have the best mochas, which helps the writing immensely.  :smile

One of my fantasies is to get a bigger apartment -- you know, the kind with more than 2 rooms? And then we'd have a "writing room," and I could have a desk that's always ready and waiting for me, decorated and set up however I want. Or even an apartment where we could fit a desk... no room in this place, I'm afraid. One day...

Or maybe it's better that I don't write in the apartment. That way, I'm physically separated from my nemesis, the TV.  :banghead
THE WALLS AROUND US • Algonquin YR, coming 2015
17 & GONE • Dutton, 2013
IMAGINARY GIRLS • Dutton, 2011
DANI NOIR (S&S/2009) aka FADE OUT (S&S/2012)

Mimi

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 02:25 PM »
The kids moved out of the house, their bedrooms were vacant, and I moved in. My daughter's former bedroom is now my office.  I call it "Suite 3"--and it is as sweet as can be!

Offline PJV

• Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 03:24 PM »
 :oncomputer

Anywhere & anytime, though I am a binge-writer. When I get an idea, and have a day or two to map it out and start, that's it! I won't stop until it's finished!

I have written:
-at my computer (which is in our small living room between the kitchen and with the tv blaring) AND on my laptop
-during breaks at work
-all night (finished the latest at 7:00 am)
BUT my favorite place (notebooks still do come in handy) has to be DISNEYLAND!

Offline Jill C.

• Poster Plus
  • LIVE. LOVE. WRITE
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 06:43 PM »
At the dining room table if no one is home and in my closet if the brood is here.
www.jillcorcoran.blogspot.com & www.hermanagencyinc.com
DARE TO DREAM...CHANGE THE WORLD, Kane Miller, Fall 2012

Offline MaryWitzl

• Poster Plus
    • ResidentAlien
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2009, 04:31 AM »
Jill, I've heard that Barbara Kingsolver wrote her first novel in a closet -- you're in good company there!   Wish we had a closet big enough...

Offline tami brown

• Poster Plus
    • Through the Tollbooth
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Why didn't I see this thread earlier? I love hearing about writing spaces.

This past week at Through The Tollbooth we all posted pictures of our writing places. Here's a link to one of the posts but there are several others, too.  http://community.livejournal.com/thru_the_booth/81557.html   I've known all these women for years but hadn't seen where most of them write-- it was fascinating to see echoes of their work in the places where they create.

My writing room is a tiny attic space under the eaves. It's freezing in winter and blazing hot in summer but I love it there, especially very early in the morning. It's ironic that this category is Organization because my office has no organizational scheme what so ever.

Lately, I've become a little obsessed with other writer's work places. There's a great series of articles about writers and their rooms in The Guardian.http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/series/writersrooms

I especially enjoyed seeing the cottage where Roald Dahl worked.

Offline jlinsky

• Member.
  • Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Thanks for those links - I love seeing and hearing where other people work. I'd love to have a space
like Eric Carle's:  http://www.eric-carle.com/slideshow_studio.html

I set up a little drawing table in the middle of the living room so I'd have at least one work space that didn't have jelly on it.
I do most of my writing and drawing there, but I do my best writing in my head when I'm walking the dog.

psychwriter

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 04:03 PM »
I do a lot of my writing in my bed writing freehand in a notebook.  But I probably do an equal amount of writing on my computer which is set up in my living room. 

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • Practice. Pray. Persist. PATIENCE
    • Reading, Writing, Ruminating
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2009, 05:14 PM »
I love my office space and write there most of the time on the computer, but I also enjoy sitting in my rocker in my bedroom to write in my notebook. When the kiddos were little, it was at the kitchen counter. When the weather is nice I like to take my writing out in the backyard, though I confess it's hard to concentrate with the birds and squirrels putting up a show.

Vijaya
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com (current) www.vijayabodach.com (archived)
Author of over 50 books and 60 magazine pieces