Author Topic: How do you manage Facebook?  (Read 8145 times)

Anastasia

How do you manage Facebook?
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:15 AM »
I don't know about you but I am finding Facebook OVERWHELMING, so for 2009 I am going to use:

1] the profile for family/work

2] the page for conversation http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anastasia-Suen/50526792416

Happy New Year!

:-) Anastasia

Offline Lill

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
  • SCBWI PAL
Re: How do you manage Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:07 AM »
Ummmm, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to Facebook. I currently have 48 unanswered requests sitting there. I mainly use it to play Word Twist, which degunks my brain when I'm writing. Or maybe it just wastes time. Or maybe its' a diversion so I don't throw something through the window when I get stuck.
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Offline ello

• Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
    • Hello Ello
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:16 AM »
i had over 400 requests I ignored and finally did that ignore all thing. Sheesh! How many green plants, invitations to past lives, plants, globes, flowers, karma, etc, can they come up with? Now I get a couple of requests and hit ignore so I don't get that monster list ever again.
PROPHECY: Prophecy Series (January 2, 2013)
WARRIOR (winter 2014)
KING (winter 2014)
HarperTeen

http://ellenoh.com

Offline Jill C.

• Poster Plus
  • LIVE. LOVE. WRITE
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:37 AM »
I don't use the pages....I just have everything on my wall. My blog is both on my wall and on blogger, so I get comments at both places, and I find it interesting that a number of people don't like to comment in public so they either email me or send me a message through facebook (inbox). I love when people comment on the blog or on my wall since it often starts discussions.

I comment on people's statuses when I have something appropriate to say, so not all too often but if someone has great news or sad news I try to be a real friend, which I think is the fun thing about facebook. I really have connected with some old friends and have kindled new friendships that for me, at least, are not fake since I never have fake friendships....life is too short.

I feel the love and friendship of writers on facebook. Not many of the people I know from my family or non-writing world friends are on it so it is mainly a writer's playground for me....and when I say writers I am also including illustrators, editors and agents.

www.jillcorcoran.blogspot.com & www.hermanagencyinc.com
DARE TO DREAM...CHANGE THE WORLD, Kane Miller, Fall 2012

Offline Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • Charles Bewitched: out now!
    • www.marissadoyle.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:57 AM »
I don't know about you but I am finding Facebook OVERWHELMING, so for 2009 I am going to use:

1] the profile for family/work

2] the page for conversation http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anastasia-Suen/50526792416

You know...if it really is feeling overwhelming to you, then don't do it.  Cosmically speaking the world will not end if you'd rather spend on-line time blogging or with your website or elsewhere.  I've drawn my personal line in the sand at Twitter--I just won't even consider it.  Yours may be at Facebook.  Do whatever works for you, and good luck!
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Offline Jill C.

• Poster Plus
  • LIVE. LOVE. WRITE
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Marissa, wise advice.
I won't Twitter either. I blog, I come here (my favorite) and I am on facebook. Doable and not overly time-sucking:)

Oh, I'm on Jacketflap too, but now that I found Facebook I am not finding much reason to go to Jacketflap. I do most of my book research on Amazon, but Jacketflap is a good publisher resource so I will probably visit more for that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:10 PM by Jill C. »
www.jillcorcoran.blogspot.com & www.hermanagencyinc.com
DARE TO DREAM...CHANGE THE WORLD, Kane Miller, Fall 2012

Anastasia

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 02:48 PM »
You know...if it really is feeling overwhelming to you, then don't do it.  Cosmically speaking the world will not end if you'd rather spend on-line time blogging or with your website or elsewhere.  I've drawn my personal line in the sand at Twitter--I just won't even consider it.  Yours may be at Facebook.  Do whatever works for you, and good luck!

Thanks, Marissa! What's happened with this move to the Facebook discussion group is that I'm connecting with people, NOT data. That's what I found overwhelming, the constant flow of data. Now it's conversation, which is why I signed up for Facebook in the first place!    :love
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:49 PM by Anastasia »

Offline Jessica Burkhart

• Poster Plus
  • 25+ EBTs: Essential Beauty Tricks (Kindle)
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 05:27 PM »
I ignore most (read: all) applications and instead use it to comment on status updates, birthdays and things like that. I must admit, I'd have withdrawal symptoms if I gave it up! :)

Offline Stephanie J. Blake

• Poster Plus
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 06:30 PM »
I love FB! I check in a couple times a day. Quick chats...wall to wall comments...email...
I feel very connected to several writers. It's fun.

But, I have cut down on all the applications, etc. that go along with it.
Stephanie J. Blake
MY ROTTEN FRIEND (Albert Whitman, coming 2015)
THE MARBLE QUEEN (Two Lions, 2012)

clockworkfoundry

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 06:36 PM »
I found FB sort of sickeningly addictive. Hasn't stopped me from trying to make it something more than just a procrastination tool. I have my page and a group for Gingerfoot (which I would love to have anyone join who'd like to) that I'm hoping will help me grow a network of networks before the book comes out. I check it way too often, though. I have even been known to (sigh) rearrange my "Green Patch." But I'm not proud of it. Supposedly I'm saving tons of rainforest, though...so I guess time I should be using to write is really a small price to pay.  :ha

As for Twitter, I have to be the voice of dissent. I LOVE it--but for a specific purpose. My Nagspeake website is an imaginary city, and three characters from it have Twitter pages. (There's a Kate Milford page, but it's really the "me" that works in the imaginary city.) The pages are only a few days old, but they already have followers. I'm hoping their conversations with each other will help draw interested "followers" to their pages on the Nagspeake website and draw traffic I would otherwise never have gotten.

Take a look if you have a minute--they are KateMilford, MagothyTreats, and HallidayMoxton (although Hallie doesn't have any activity yet. She's a lurker).

Gregor

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01 PM »
A good friend of mine in Colorado invited me to be on Facebook, I mostly use it to keep in touch with family, friends and long lost school mates.  So my use is for more social than professional reasons, but I do take the time to promote my books once in awhile.

Having like over 400 friends on there would be a little over the top for me, maybe having a select few well connected friends would help in the book business, but I've decided that keeping in touch with people I've actually met may be more important than trying to turn it into a business venue.

Offline R.J. Anderson

• Poster Plus
    • R.J. Anderson
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33 AM »
I find Facebook uninteresting for the most part, but I check it once a day to say yes to friend requests and answer my Inbox and wall posts. Most of my social networking takes place on LiveJournal, and I'm happy for it to stay that way.

I do kind of enjoy Twitter, though. It's so quick and easy, and it makes me feel like I'm staying in touch with people when I'm too burned out or busy to write a "proper" post on my blog.
MG: Knife | Rebel | Arrow | Swift
YA: Ultraviolet | Quicksilver

Offline got art

• Anna M Lewis
  • Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Anna M Lewis
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Hello everyone!
I guess I should chime in since I've friended many of you lately. A friend pulled me into the evil timesuck known as Facebook... but, as you may have noticed, I've been having fun. Still trying to figure out how much time to spend on Facebook. But, I feel that we are all unique and work differently... and you are one huge step ahead of the game if you know what works for you. My word for '09 is Positive Energy... as long as I can look at Facebook as a plus (and not beat myself up over the time spent on it) then it works for me.

I do my toy stuff/inventing and writing out of my home office, so Facebook makes me feel a little connected to the professional world. I like people and it's nice to say a quick hello to a friend for a few minutes... aka watercooler. The toy industry definitely doesn't have any of the web social opportunities like all the avenues that writer's have - LJ, JacketFlap, Blogger, Facebook. (Though, I have a few creative friends on Twitter.)

I love writing my posts on Books, Toys, Etc and Facebook is yet another way for me to spread the word.

Feel free to friend me - http://profile.to/annamlewis/
And, thanks to all of you have friended and "chatted" with me.
Now, I really have to clean my office!

Offline DeirdreK

• Poster Plus
    • Mommy Writes
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 01:20 PM »
I enjoy facebook for keeping up with old friends and cousins and whatnot.  It's an easy way to share pictures of the kids, coordinate visits, etc.

I would never, ever use it professionally... it occupies a very private part of my life.

I use twitter mostly to communicate with my husband.  Some random people are following me, but I think they're mostly of the "follow random people to try to get them to follow you" variety.  I also follow the School Library Journal via twitter, cause it's interesting.

Offline jodyjl

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 05:00 PM »
I'm glad I ran across this post because I just joined Facebook this week. I haven't even begun to figure out what all the groups, pages and applications are that you have all mentioned. Maybe it's better than I don't know. I did hear about games on Facebook, but I haven't been able to find them.

I'm hoping Facebook will be a great way for me to communicate mostly with family and friends that are so far away.

Jody

Offline C. Lee McKenzie

• C. Lee
  • Poster Plus
  • Alligators Overhead
    • C. Lee McKenzie, Author
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 09:16 AM »
I've been slow to get into facebook, but I've found the NOTES section the most helpful, especially with promotion and connecting quickly with a lot of writers or friends. Just "got" how to tag people and share those notes quickly, so am feeling  :snoopy  The rest, like the applications aren't too interesting to me, but I haven't found out yet just what they are meant to do. I'll explore more later. :snail
Alligators Overhead 2012
The Princess of Las Pulgas 2010
Sliding on the Edge 2009
http://cleemckenziebooks.com

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
  • A broken pencil is pointless.
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 12:04 PM »
I finally got a Facebook account this weekend and I'm finding it kind of weird to have my worlds colliding.

I have writer friends, college friends, high school friends, family, etc. Some connections are very business-like and others informal. I worry that some of my other friends (or family) might make crass comments or use bad language or something.

Is it normal to have everyone mixed up like that? Or do people keep separate accounts?

Any advice for a dazed and confused newbie?
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE: A SALTY YARN, Roaring Brook
GRIMELDA, THE VERY MESSY WITCH, Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins
http://www.dianamurray.com

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 01:09 PM »
I just spoke to a few friends on there and they said they don't think it's strange at all to mix different groups of people on facebook.

Hmmm. Maybe it's just me.

Offline MysteryRobin

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 01:39 PM »
I adore Facebook - but I only use it for friends, not for work/networking - unless they bleed into being friends, too. I use Twitter for all things publishing related (and I find Twitter stressful).

FB is like hanging out in the lounge at my dorm and chatting with whoever shows up. ;)
Robin

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Thanks, Robin. Good analogy!

My lounge is quite the hodgepodge of people. Guess that's what makes life interesting!

Offline Mindy Alyse Weiss

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • A long journey - but I'm determined to get there!
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 05:10 AM »
Diana--I found it strange to have such a big mix on Facebook at first, too.  It has worked out great though, and I love being able to keep in touch with everyone in one place.

Offline Jille

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 05:18 AM »
I'm using Facebook to network and keep up with friends old and new. I'm loving it, but I ignore applications and don't play games (for time suck reasons).

No twitter for me, either. I did attend a workshop about it, but - ugh - way too much pressure. I don't want to stop writing 10x/day to check in (and I would!), then have to think up a witty comment (hey, witty is not my natural state).
 :crazy
Coming soon:
Angry Birds Playground: Rain Forest (Nat Geo)
I Hatched! (Dial)
I Am Cow, Hear Me Moo! (Dial)

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 07:41 AM »
Thanks, Mindy. Good to know I might get used to it. Perhaps part of what is weird for me is that I've sort of been in the closet about my writing with non-writer friends. Now it's all out in the open. Scary!

Jillie, thanks for warning me about those time-sucking games. Definitely not going there! And no twitter for me either. I have enough things to obsessively check!

Offline ghost

• Poster Plus
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 10:40 AM »
I thought it was a good idea to join the various social networking sites, so about twelve months ago I did. I filled out the profile page and listed only some of my published works. There's Facebook, Twitter, JacketFlap, Goodreads, filedby, Shelfari, LibraryThing, and OpenLibrary, and probably a couple I can't remember. Problem I found is that even with "minor" participation I wound up spending far too much time on them. So I limited my participation to Facebook, Twitter, and JacketFlap, but even that takes up too much time. I'm still there and check in occasionally but that's about it. They can be enjoyable, but I think that as a writer there value is way overrated.

Offline MysteryRobin

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 10:49 AM »
I have a hodgepodge, too - family, old friends from work, school, church, etc - and writer friends that I only know online - but it all works. It's crazy to see who knows who and see world's smash together. ;) I'm a stay at home mom with little kids and my FB friends' wit is what helps me get through some days. ;)
Robin

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Ghost, I know what you mean. What a time sucker! I'm still feeling it out, but I think I'm glad I joined overall. So you only participate on Facebook, Twitter, Jacketflap and the blue boards? Oh my, aren't you lazy! ;)

Robin - I'm a stay-at-home mom with little ones too. :) I still think the hodgepodge is weird--kind of like you're at a wedding and all the place cards got mixed up. It would be nice to have a buffer of separation. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. I guess I can see how it might even be a good thing. One thing I'm enjoying is getting in touch with old friends who I haven't talked to since I carried a bottle of Aquanet in my purse. It's very interesting to see how everyone turned out.

Offline DonnaE

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • SCBWI PAL
  • life is too short to wear pantyhose.
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Liked facebook (x 1,ooo,000)
Got addicted to Facebook.
Had to leave Facebook.

Didn't understand twitter.
Didn't "get" it.
Worked through the intial learning curve.
Now I'm on twitter.
Now I like it more than I did facebook - but for different reasons! 
Not addicted, though.

But could be if I don't watch myself!

I love that twitter feels like a lot more connection with the writing world than FB. Plus, I don't see a lot of drama on twitter.

I do NOT like the drama on FB.

But then again, I'm sure I CAUSED some of the drama on FB. Eh...whatcha gonna do? ;)

I say use what works for you.
Don't feel pressured to do what works for other folks.

Being Frank (Flashlight Press)
http://wordwranglernc.wordpress.com/

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Are you sure it's safe for a former FB addict to use Twitter? Sounds like trouble! I'm just kidding. I don't actually know much about it. From what you describe, I wonder if that would've been a good choice. I always thought Twitter sounded more time consuming though. Anyway, thanks for the advice!  :)

Offline DonnaE

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • SCBWI PAL
  • life is too short to wear pantyhose.
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 11:20 AM »
LOL!
When I was on FB, I checked it allllll the time. Continually. Constantly. (did I mention I was addicted?)  I mean, what if someone responded to my update or comment? I HAD to see what they said and respond to them. It didn't matter that it had onlyh been 5 minutes since the last time I checked. yeah...lame. but it was part of my addicted process.

Now there are days when I'm on twitter alot - but then there are days when I only post one or two things. And if someone responds to one of my tweets, cool. if they don't, that's okay, too. I don't feel slighted or like I have to keep checking.

On FB, I felt like I was in highschool again. Quite honestly, it wasn't all that great of a feeling.
Twitter doesn't feel that way to me. It's a fun way to connect, share info, learn info and network all across the board.

Gee... this posts makes me sound like a total goober. I'm not. honest. (most of the time) :)

Being Frank (Flashlight Press)
http://wordwranglernc.wordpress.com/

Offline DianaM

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.dianamurray.com
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Don't worry, Donna. We're all goobers! :D