Author Topic: Any fellow leprechauns?  (Read 16484 times)

Offline Natalie

• Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Flying the Dragon, Charlesbridge 2012
    • Natalie Dias Lorenzi
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
SOMEPLACE LIKE HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Offline thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
Re: Any fellow leprechauns?
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 08:16 AM »
Just wondering,

No-one ever did tell me if there is anybody near this island.  I can't find any message boards for writers in Ireland.

thanks.

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I'm not sure if there are any other BBer's in Ireland at the moment (I was there a couple of years ago). There are several over in the UK, a few here in the Netherlands (not all that far away . . .).

As for where to look  for local buddies on the boards, you're there.

I know there are several children's writers there in Ireland. You just have to reach out
http://debifaulkner.blogspot.com/

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel
LilyPad Princess, for 7-9 year olds
WereWhat?, coming August 20

Offline Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • Charles Bewitched: out now!
    • www.marissadoyle.com
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 02:13 PM »
A few people have already mentioned that there is a Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) chapter in Ireland--that's a place for you to start looking for fellow writers nearby.

www.scbwi.org
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 05:57 AM »
Marissa,

I did find an SCBWI irish web link.  Unfortunately, it was two years out of date and I haven't received a reply to my email.  Typical of around here, they never seem to update stuff.  I also looked into a writer's group but was told it was for established writers.  How are we supposed to become writers if the information isn't put out.  Sorry for being cranky, but it is April Fools Day and I'm feeling a little frustrated.

Also, Natalie, thanks for your help, I'm still sifting through those links.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:12 PM by thunderingelephants »

Offline Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.marissadoyle.com
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 06:20 AM »
I'm sorry the SCBWI didn't work...

It may be different in Ireland, but here in the US informal writing groups often meet in public libraries...you might ask the librarians in your nearest library if they've heard about any writing groups...ditto for bookstores.    :goodluck
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 12:34 PM »
There are writers groups based in Ireland but they seem to be more adult orientated and the last writer's course wanted 495 euro which I cannot afford at present.  It is also based in Dublin which is 4 hours by train from my home city of Cork.  Another also wanted payment for publishing my work.  Surely that is inappropriate?

However, I think there may be a conference in Dublin in May which I may be able to attend. I am awaiting a reply.  There is one writers group nearby but that is for retired persons and I'm only 36.  I don't fit into that category just yet!

Thanks for your response.
 :smile   I'll give you one of these when I get an answer!

Thunderingelephants

Offline Natalie

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Flying the Dragon, Charlesbridge 2012
    • Natalie Dias Lorenzi
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Another also wanted payment for publishing my work.  Surely that is inappropriate?
Thunderingelephants

Yes! Run away from that one.

Have you thought of starting up your own chapter? I didn't have a local chapter in the town where I was living in Italy, but the Italian SCBWI chapter has recently been revived. I attended conferences in Bologna and Munich, which were wonderful. I helped with the one in Bologna (arranging the catering for the SCBWI conference and a bookstore event, plus booking the V.I.P. dinners), and although I volunteered, my conference fee was waived, so maybe that's a way you could get a discount in the future.

FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
SOMEPLACE LIKE HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 12:56 AM »
There are writers groups based in Ireland but they seem to be more adult orientated and the last writer's course wanted 495 euro which I cannot afford at present.  It is also based in Dublin which is 4 hours by train from my home city of Cork.  Another also wanted payment for publishing my work.  Surely that is inappropriate?

However, I think there may be a conference in Dublin in May which I may be able to attend. I am awaiting a reply.  There is one writers group nearby but that is for retired persons and I'm only 36.  I don't fit into that category just yet!

Thunderingelephants

Ahhh! That's awful!

Definitely run away from the one wanting money.

Have you thought of putting an ad in the local paper asking if there are any other writers interested in meeting up? In Trim, we had a very small local paper, and a group of writers started up when one of them put an ad in it.

Certainly Cork is big enough that there are some interested parties around somewhere. What about talking to the local bookstores? I met another children's writer by just talking to the new store that was opening in Trim (just as I was leaving, of course).

There's always the chance that you can find an online partner or group -- that's been my main source of writerly interaction for the past 8 years. I've been lucky to meet a few people here and there, though, and it's been wonderful. The more you interact online, the better chance you have of running across someone somewhere!

Heck, you have all of us!  :grouphug2

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 01:07 PM »
 :balloongroup
Chasing,

Are you talking of the Irish Trim (sounds like a new brand of diet food!)? 

There are a few bookstores and I suppose I could try the library.  However, I asked if I could narrate my stories but they refused.  I used to do it in a drama studio with some of my very early work but the studio shut down.  I'll try Waterstones and let you know.

:paperbag  They also refused in the bookstores and said they only narrated published books.  Not good for us aspiring writers.

Do you think it would be advisable to post a note in the library and start my own group?  I haven't found one irish agent in the CWIM.  Probably talk tomorrow.
Thanks guys!

:thankyou

Offline Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.marissadoyle.com
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 01:17 PM »
Hey Thundering!

Okay, now you've confused me--are you looking for a critique group to work with, or a venue to read your work?  Coz those are two different creatures entirely!

If you really are interested in finding critique partners to work with, then definitely try the library.  Ask the children's librarian (if there is one)--s/he might be a good resource to start with.
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 04:08 AM »
Marissa,

Sorry for the confusion! 

I realise that there is a differentiation between narrating my work and getting a critique.  I received negative feedback from the librarian who said that they only have a reading session on Saturday mornings but wouldn't be willing to allow me tell my stories.  They only reading material from their own shelves.  The local bookshop said the same.
As for getting a critique group, they are only offered in writers courses which are general and not specifically based on children's writers.

I could try a drama studio, but there has been a reduction in the grants that the government are allocating to the creative arts so they are reducing their opening hours.  I will try the city library again within the week and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the tips. 
By the way, Chasing, you did lift my spirits so thanks.  Hope your weekend is dryer than mine.  It's a wet day here in Cork!

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 09:30 AM »
Yes, the Irish Trim! We lived there from 2003 to 2006 (about 2-1/2 years total).

I didn't read at the bookstore or the library, but I talked to the people there and asked if they knew any other local writers. The other children's writer I found (by talking to the new bookstore owner) was just by accident. She had been in talking with the same woman the day before. She gave me the writer's name, and I looked up her number. It turned out our kids went to the same school and everything.

Definitely put up a notice at the local library. Contact the people at the IrishPEN (I think they have a website -- one of the chairmen is a famous Irish children's writer, or at least she was when I was there).

Even joining a face-to-face crit group that doesn't specialize in children's writing may be nice to make connection. I took part in a mentorship with a wonderful author based in Dublin. She didn't write children's lit, but she knew lots of people, and she put me in contact with a guy who lived in Co. Cavan who wrote children's lit. Try to be open to options that may not seem like a perfect fit at first.

You can do this!

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 10:36 AM »
 :wow  Chasing you are a mine of golden information.  Pity I didn't read this earlier, I was in Waterstones looking at a recipe book (there's my useless information).  I have to say, I may just be able to pull it off but as with everything it will take a bit of work.  It does beg the question how people contact each other when the access to other people seems hidden.

I was in a coffee shop all afternoon writing so I think I'll take a break.  Might take a look at that website while I'm at it. 
Thanks again guys,

Thundering
PS: Chasing, what's Trim like?  I've never been there. Typical irish weather here in Cork.  I've just returned home with very soggy feet!

:library   Going to try it tomorrow

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 11:28 PM »
Ooo! I just thought of another option! Do you have anything published at all? It doesn't even had to be in the children's area . . .

I have quite a few poems published, but no book of my own. I went to the local primary schools and offered to do workshops with the kids on writing haiku (I had a craft that went with it, and the 4t6-5th class kids really loved it). Anyway, the first year, I did it in exchange for a letter of recommendation (I was trying to get residency). The next year, I was paid for doing younger workshops (I targeted the junior and senior infants classses at Christmas -- it involved another craft that let the kids get "hands on" with the words).

Anyway, because I did these workshops with the kids (and because kids, teachers and administration were happy with them), I went to the local secondary school and asked about teaching an adult writing class in the evenings. I don't have teaching credentials, but I had "expertise" in a field that interested them. I did that for a year, too. Even though i was the "teacher," I ran it like a workshop. Some of the people in the class were extremely talented, and we had some good fun (I can't remember how to spell "crack" right! AHHH!).

Don't lose hope in finding a writing community, though. It can be a very solitary thing at times, but there are so many people around you with the same love of words. You just have to make contact.

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2009, 06:25 AM »
Chasing,

It's so good read some-one talking in "irish" (first and second class etc).

As for having crudentials, I narrated my stories in a drama in the early nineties.  I also worked in several childcare establishments, but as I'm sure you know the irish education system can be quite restrictive sometimes.

I also had a series of 24 short stories printed in the early nineties in a local newspaper in Cork and the locals reacted quite well.  Maybe it was my photograph was attached but I did get a good response from the readers and residents of the town I lived in.  That paper ran my stories over 6 months (it was a weekly paper).  The drama studio I narrated in let tell my stories for 5 months but this was a long time ago.  Actually, I get a good response from the parents of the children who attended to this day.  It's just that I'd like to take it further afield.

Thanks for all your encouragement.  I'll let you know how I get on.
Thundering

PS: I think it's "craic" by the way.  I went to school in England and don't have a word of irish.  My dad lives in Spain, but he's a musician, he should know.  More useless information.   :thankyou

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2009, 10:12 AM »
Can you try to work any of your experience into a workshop for the younger school levels? Maybe you could take a fairly well-known story (a fairy tale or something?) and work out a way to make it teach kids about drama by acting it out/narrating the story in some creative way/improvising it and offer to do it at the local schools. It would get you into the classes with the kids, in front of the teachers and administration, something . . .

If it works well, maybe they'll ask you back next fall. The important thing is that the kids will go home and tell their parents how much fun they had. Maybe there are a few writers in that group.

(Oh, and Trim was up in the midlands -- very FLAT. It did rain quite a bit -- of course -- but having a castle in the middle of town certainly made up for it in my book!)

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2009, 06:56 AM »
Chasing,

I don't mean to be arrogant, but I tried that one already.  I did it years ago when I told a story I'd about an elephant who wanted to be a ballerina.  Very amusing sight to see 5 year olds trying perform pirouettes.  Unfortunately, due to the recession, and government funding, the theatre closed down.  Like I say, I'll try the library tomorrow.  I think they also have a good notice board there so I might get a few contacts.

Unfortunately Cork isn't flat.  Had to walk home in the rain with two heavy bags and tumbled over the cat as soon as I got in the door.  Might make for a story! (or maybe not!)
I'll keep you posted on the library situation.

Thanks!

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2009, 08:57 AM »
Chasing,

Just checked out that website and it looks like a good one.  Requested more information so hopefully I get some.  I am not working so getting to Dublin won't be a problem.  It seems like a look outreach for us writers.

Thanks!

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Excellent!

You'll have to let me know how it goes there.

And did you put up a notice at the library? You really should get some kind of response there, too.  :irish (sorry, this guy makes me smile)

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2009, 03:49 AM »
,.Didn't get a chance to do that yet, didn't dare venture outside. It's wet again!  I might try this afternoon.
Maybe I'll actually get an opportunity to post up a message when it ISN'T raining, but it hasn't occurred yet.  April showers are a little to literal!

Thanks for your tips!
 :snow  (it's not rain, but it might as well be!)

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 07:14 AM »
Ah! A lovely soft morning, then?

What a strange term for lousy weather. Still, I guess it sounds better than looking out the windown and cursing!

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2009, 09:57 AM »
Have to stop short of it!  Just returned from Cork city where it has been teeming down all down.  I am extremely wet and my cat won't come near me!  Still, very productive since I did a lot of writing.  Don't know if you ever considered, but people watching can provide a great deal of inspiration.

Sadly didn't get to the library.  Might get there before Easter, but not if the weather stays like this!

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2009, 10:50 AM »
Chasing,

One question: when you lived in Ireland, did you ever get the opportunity to attend the CWI conferences?  There is one coming up in May, but it costs 90 euro and since I live in Cork, I would need to stay overnight.  Not sure I can afford so I would really love to know if it would be worthwhile attending.  Thought you might be able shed some information.

Thanks.  The weather was better today.  At least I could venture outside!

:library   I will get here at some stage

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2009, 02:31 AM »
I only went to one children's specific workshop, and it was definitely worth going. I didn't have to stay overnight, though, and I have to admit that if I had, it may not have been worth the extra money.

But, it wasn't a conference -- a conference may be a good way to make some contact with fellow writers who may be close enough to visit on occassion (Or at least stay in contact through email, etc.).

Sorry not to have any more specific information. I hope you can find a way to attend, though (and that it's great!).

We're supposed to have sun tomorrow. Here's hoping!

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2009, 05:13 AM »
Weather has to be better than here.  My cat stuck his head out the back door and came straight in again. Unfortunately, I can't do the same.  Have to prepare myself for an unwanted shower.

I will try google again and see if there are conferences.  I looked at the CBI website, but they don't really cater for my type of writing.  However, I might look at it and see if there is anything worth attending.  It seems to be for established authors.

By the way, any suggestions on a flavour for chocolate truffles?  That's my other hobby and I want to make something obscure for Easter.  I've made raspberry, blueberry, beer(!) and irish cream.  Not all at once, you understand.  Want to try something different.  All suggestions invited.

Thanks
Thundering

Offline C.K.

• Chronic
  • Poster Plus
    • C.K.
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2009, 06:38 AM »
I've been hearing about how awful the economic situation in Ireland is at the moment from relatives and friends (I have Irish citizenship myself but haven't lived there since 2000) and hope things begin to look up soon. Things are pretty bad in Ontario currently too but the Irish situation, from what I've read and heard, is worse.

Sorry I don't have any advice on anthropomorphic fiction but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the writing. I know the Lisa Richards agency in Dublin handles writers (http://www.lisarichards.ie/site/). They're quite well known. For a bigger pool of agents you might want to consider subbing to agents in the U.K. That's what I ended up doing when I was looking for representation for a trilogy set two-thirds in Dublin. I found the small Irish market somewhat constraining.

Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2009 offer an online list of British & Irish agents here: http://www.writersservices.com/agent/uk09/index.htm
I Know It's Over
One Lonely Degree
The Lighter Side of Life and Death
My Beating Teenage Heart
Yesterday
The Sweetest Thing You Can Sing (Sept 2014)

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2009, 12:16 PM »
C.K.

You are certainly right about the econmical situation here, spent a fortune today on practically nothing.  There is Easter coming up, of course, and I caught sight of the Easter Eggs displayed in the supermarkets.  Prices were outrageous - between 8 & 12 euros for an empty egg and 2 bars of chocolate.  That is why I am making my own.  I get quite a lot of good reviews from friends and acquaintances, and they are cheaper to make.

You are certainly right about the irish market which is why I have been submitting to Britain.  They are actually better at responding than most irish publishers (even if they are rejections, for the moment anyway).

I have the 2008 edition of the Children's writers and illustrators market yearbook which is a great reference and also the 2003 writers and artists yearbook.  That is an excellent reference.
Anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your words of encouragement and a very happy easter to you.  I will try that website and possibly let you know.

regards,
Thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 04:14 AM »
Happy Easter!  Hope you don't stuff yourselves with chocolate, but then again, that's exactly what I'm going to do!

Thunderingelephants
 :easterbasket

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 03:26 AM »
I was good on Easter Sunday, and even yesterday . . . but TODAY! I'm planning on making up for lost time.  :chocolate

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel