Author Topic: Any fellow leprechauns?  (Read 16918 times)

Offline thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
Re: Any fellow leprechauns?
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 06:00 AM »
Actually, so was I, if you consider abstaining from chocolate good. I did have a few tipples though.

My other past-time (which unfortunately is all my writing is) is making truffles.  So I went armed to my local bar with chocolates made from beer!  Very popular and I didn't eat any.  I came home with a bottle of red pepper wine!  Gonna make some at the weekend, must crack on with some writing first.

By the way, how did you find out about the writer's conference?  Can't get any information from Irish Writers Centre.
Any tips for writer's block?  I have the plot, but can't get it down on paper.

Thanks

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2009, 05:40 AM »
 :yay

Marissa,
Just thought I'd let you know, SCBWI kind of worked.  Well, they responded anyway.  Not sure how to join up, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. 

By the way, Chasing,
Thanks for your encouragement, but I haven't had much luck.  Another writers group only deals with professional authors.  There are still quite a few places I could try.  Not today though, it's incredibly wet, yet again.  Hope you enjoyed your chocolate.

One more thing, can anyone suggest another word for "soon"?  I use it too much.  Thanks

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Hi, Thundering!

Your truffles sound delicious! Mmmmm.

As for the Writer's Centre, go here: http://www.writerscentre.ie/ and sign up for the newsletter. I still get it by email, and that's how I found out about both the conference I attended and the mentorship program (it was a pilot program for a possible continuation . . . not sure it's still going, though). There are masters classes, intermediate and beginners classes, general announcements, etc. And getting the newsletter is free, so it doesn't hurt any!

As for soon -- hmm, that would depend, of course. Is there something you can use to show the movement of time that has to do with your story (but is still a bit funny -- before the snail made it across the road, in less time than it took for the clock hands to move from the 1 to the 2, -- okay those are lame, but you get the idea, yes?).
http://debifaulkner.blogspot.com/

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel
LilyPad Princess, for 7-9 year olds
WereWhat?, coming August 20

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2009, 05:37 AM »
Guys,

Am I too old or does anyone remember that disgraced group from the 90's: Milli Vanilli?  Well one, for some reason, my friend suggested baking a vanilla chocolate cake and it turned out disgusting so I tried sweets instead.  He loves chillies, so I threw a few of them in with the sweets and he came with a terrible name: Chilli Vanilli.  They were disgusting but he ate the lot!
Surprisingly, it gave me great inspiration for a story.  Also my kitten seems to love playing with chillies for some reason, so I'm always stocked up.

Chasing,

Just looked at that website, it will probably be of better reference than CBI.  Unfortunately, it costs money, which I haven't got. I do have a huge whisky bottle with lots of coins which could go towards it.  In any case, I've emailed and hope to get a response.

If I were to go through my stories, I could probably leave out the word "soon".  It's tempting to use it to fill in the gaps between the scenes in paragraphs.  (hope that makes sense) I love your phrasing about the snail by the way.  Would "suddenly" be too abrupt?
Thanks for your help

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2009, 10:55 AM »

Hi,

To anyone who's interested (particularly Marissa), finally got a proper response from SCBWI.  Gonna join next week when I get some cash.
Cheers (as they say here in Ireland!)  :grouphug2

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Guys.

The attached SCBWI registration form seems simple enough, but I have no idea what it entails.  What is involved in registering with the organisation?

Also another bit of good news, they have meetings every month in Dublin.  Maybe leprechauns do exist after all!
Thanks for any info.

Online Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • Charles Bewitched: out now!
    • www.marissadoyle.com
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2009, 02:34 PM »
Hi Thundering,

Not quite sure what you mean by, "What is involved in registering with the organization?"  It's an organization for people who write and illustrate children's books.  Becoming a member means you have access to the Society's publications, web presences (including a forum kind of like this one, but nowhere near as good :) ) and meetings.  In order to become a member you fill out the membership form and pay the fee, and hey presto you're in.

From the SCBWI site:

The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, formed in 1971 by a group of Los Angeles based writers for children, is the only international organization to offer a variety of services to people who write, illustrate, or share a vital interest in children’s literature. The SCBWI acts as a network for the exchange of knowledge between writers, illustrators, editors, publishers, agents, librarians, educators, booksellers and others involved with literature for young people. There are currently more than 19,000 members worldwide, in over 70 regions, making it the largest children's writing organization in the world.

The benefits of membership in SCBWI are many. The SCBWI sponsors two annual International Conferences on Writing and Illustrating for Children as well as dozens of regional conferences and events throughout the world. It also publishes a bi-monthly newsletter, offers awards and grants for works in progress, and provides many informational publications on the art and business of writing and selling written, illustrated, and electronic material. The SCBWI also presents the annual Golden Kite Award for the best fiction and nonfiction books and the Sid Fleischman Humor Award.

If you're not published, you'd have an Associate membership...but Full and Associate members get pretty much the same benefits, as far as I know.  For the full list, click on this:

http://www.scbwi.org/about.htm

Hope that's helpful!
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2009, 06:12 AM »
 :hairpull

Don't feel quite like doing this any more.
Got an email from Steve Mooser of scbwi.org who told me a little more about joining scbwi.  Sent form off today, so hopefully soon I will be one of you lot! 
Now, I'm off to make those truffles I've been chattering about.  Red pepper wine & red pepper.  Might take a pic if anyone's interested!

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2009, 03:01 AM »
PS: leprechauns do exist after all. Going to meet some next month in Dublin.
By the way, where is everyone, this board has been very quiet lately.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2009, 06:00 AM »
Chasing,

Just thought I'd tell you (not that it matters, but anyway), I joined the irish SCBWI last week and will be attending a meeting at CBI at the end of the month.  I also noticed you posted a lot on their boards.  What should I expect from these meetings?  They didn't give much information.  Any advice greatly appreciated.  It's a bank holiday, so I'm for a coffee and maybe do a bit of scribbling.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2009, 09:38 AM »
Excellent! At our local SCBWI meetings (here in the Netherlands), we generally have some kind of theme or agenda for the day: first pages, sharing information, a speaker, something like that. It's nice to meet some fellow writers in person, too, and just talk about writing. Feel free to ask questions, too -- hopefully the people you meet will know the writing climate there in Ireland, too, and will be able to help with advice you need.

CBI is another good board -- I've been getting their newsletters for years, too (LOVE them!).

it sounds like you're making progress, so enjoy!

(and keep writing, of course)

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2009, 05:34 AM »
If I can ever get away from my addiction to this board!  I didn't actually know CBI had a board.  Maeve Mckeown emailed me with information on the next meeting on 31st this month and a large meeting September.  I have no idea what to expect and terrified I will look a complete newbie (which of course, I am).  Any ideas how approach it?

Got to go.  My keyboard's being attacked by the cat and I need caffeine to do some writing!

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2009, 10:29 AM »
I'm afraid I'd be as nervous as you are now!

My advice is to just keep breathing, talk to people, enjoy yourself. (that would be my own mantra, anyway)

You'll have to let use know how it all goes!

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

Offline Natalie

• Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Flying the Dragon, Charlesbridge 2012
    • Natalie Dias Lorenzi
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Just be yourself, relax, and soak it all up! At some point during my first conference, it hit me that everyone in that room could sit and talk about writing all day, and still not feel like it was enough. I talk to my family and friends about some aspects of writing, but being able to really connect with other writers was a real treat.

Have fun!
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
SOMEPLACE LIKE HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2009, 05:26 AM »
I'm counting down the days to Saturday when I attend the meeting in Dublin.  I'm still unsure of what to expect there.  I haven't exactly been told.  Any advice?  :shh

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Have fun.  :yay

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2009, 04:29 AM »
Just thought I'd let you know, I returned from the meeting last night. I know it is probably longer for other blueboarders, but an 8-hour round trip by train is not to be sneezed either.  I had severe leg cramp when I got home.  There were only 6 there which you could say is a sad reflection.  The orgranisation is extremely small.  It was still good to meet some like-minded people finally.  One of them celebrated a publication too which was good. 

As expected, I write the kind of material that no-one else does, therefore it confirmed that I should submit abroad.  It was short meeting but at least now I know the leprechauns are lurking around somewhere. Something positive at last!

It is a bank holiday here and I can see the sun sneaking its head out.  I think might go and enjoy it this afternoon. 

Chasing,
I don't know if you've been to CBI (children's books Ireland).  It is in North Great George's and up an extremely steep hill.  I was exhausted when I reached there.  Possibly not a bad thing that there a only few meeting a year.  My legs couldn't stand it. :love

Have a good day.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Guys,
I just sent off a form for a national convention in Dublin, Ireland on the 19th September.  I know there will be talks from guest speakers etc., but I don't know what else to expect.  Any tips?

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2009, 11:29 PM »
Thundering,

Sounds like you're jumping in with two feet -- Great!

I don't have any extra words of wisdom for you. You seem to have found a lot of connections that I didn't while I was there. There was no SCBWI chapter at that time, so the chapter is still pretty young (I've only been gone 3 years).

Anyway, enjoy yourself, and by all means, come back and tell us al how it went!

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

Offline angela

• SCBWI Regional Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Angela Cerrito
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2009, 02:31 AM »
TE,
So glad you will attend in September. I think Maeve is really supportive of her members and the CBI is all about literacy and books for kids too.

I bet it was Jane Mitchell's latest book you were celebrating at the meeting - it looks wonderful and is endorsed by Amnesty International!

Glad ur connecting with SCBWI!
www.angelacerrito.com
Blog "Collecting my thoughts"
http://www.angelacerrito.com/collecting-my-thoughts
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2009, 08:20 AM »
Ah,
It's so nice to know my fellow greenies are still around.
Sadly, my computer has taken a sickie and had to be sent to the clinic.  Don't know when I'm getting and spent all morning playing on the playstation.
Maeve certainly seemed supportive the one and only time I met her so it will be nice to meet her again (if I recognise her).  By the way, it's not until the 19th so I've a while to wait yet.  I'm going on holidays soon too (Thursday), so you'll have four full days free of me warbling.
Aren't you lucky?
Talk to you soon. :vacation

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2009, 03:51 AM »
Got an email this morning, informing that there is a meeting next Saturday, after the Summer break, but I don't think I'll be able to make it.  There is a conference in September in Dublin too, which I've signed up for.  I thought I might be able to ask what to expect at the meeting, now, I'm not sure I can.
Any clues?

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2009, 10:11 AM »
Just curious,
What time is it where most of you guys are?  6pm here and I normally post up between 11a.m. and 3p.m.
No wonder I feel so lonely.

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Thundering, I'm an hour ahead of you (when it's 6 am your time, it's 7 am here).

As for the states, you are 5 hours ahead of Eastern time (when it's 6 am your time, it's 1 am in New York and Detroit, etc.).

California is 3 (?) hours behind that, so the folks in California are 8 hours behind you (6 am your time is 10 pm for the night before in California).

So, how confusing is that?  :juggle

(have I ever mentioned I have no talent with maths?)

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2009, 11:15 AM »
Confusing?  Hmm...I can think of a different word.
Maybe the "real" leprechauns can help at the end of the month.  Got a conference in Dublin at the end of the month.
Were you ever at one here?

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2009, 10:25 PM »
No, I didn't have the chance to attend any conferences in Ireland (I'm actually a bit jealous right now!)

Have a great time!

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2009, 12:59 PM »
I hope to.
Right, I am getting off this computer this instant.  9pm in Ireland and that is my "turn off the computer" time, as imposed by my flatmate who says we both spend too much time on it.

You'd never think so, would you? :mad4 :mad4

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2009, 09:20 AM »
Can I ask what seems like a crazy question?
Are you members of SCBWI regional chapters informed of when the meetings are held each month?
I got an automated email from the organiser of the meeting informing of us of the national meeting and also thanking us for attending the August meeting.  I was told the next meeting would be in September, just before the national conference.
Should I have been informed or just travelled to Dublin anyway on the last Saturday of the month?

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2009, 03:57 AM »
Just heard on the radio on show which "solves curious questions" from listeners.  One regarded children's writing.  It was suggested that Writers and Artists Yearbook would be a good buy.  It is a good buy but gives no specific information for children's writing.
How did you guys buy your books and join SCBWI?  I found this site completely by mistake and didn't even know about the SCBWI until my friend bought Children's Wirter and Illustrator's yearbook on Amazon.
I'd be interested to hear your stories.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2009, 12:51 PM »
I am leaving for Dublin (Ireland) tomorrow to the annual SCBWI conference.  Do you think I need to bring anything (apart from pen and paper, perhaps!).  I haven't got a clue.
Thanks