Author Topic: Any fellow leprechauns?  (Read 17042 times)

Offline C.K.

• Chronic
  • Poster Plus
    • C.K.
Re: Any fellow leprechauns?
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Never having been I can't say but I just wanted to wish you a good time.  :hangloose
I Know It's Over
One Lonely Degree
The Lighter Side of Life and Death
My Beating Teenage Heart
Yesterday
The Sweetest Thing You Can Sing (Sept 2014)

Offline thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Thanks.  I will probably blurt out what happened on Sunday anyway.
You have probably gathered that I am big-mouth at the best of times. :phone :star2

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
Re: Any fellow leprechauns? Verla Kay May Get New Members!
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2009, 04:52 AM »
Hi guys.
Came back from Dublin last night, absolutely exhausted, but the journey was worth it and the meeting informative.  It was the first conference in Ireland of so many writers and illustrators.  I did discover that there seems to be no literary agents in Ireland.  There was a speaker from the UK who came to speak.
Verla Kay may also get some new members because I spoke to a few others who had not heard of the CWIM or indeed this forum so I directed them your way.  Hope you don't mind.
 :grouphug2

Offline Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • Charles Bewitched: out now!
    • www.marissadoyle.com
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2009, 06:32 AM »
So glad it went well, Fiona!!  And good for you for sharing what you've learned.  :)
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2009, 10:43 PM »
Thundering, I saw this morning and thought of you! I don't know if you can make it, but it looks like it could be really good! (Wish I could go . . .):

Irish PEN presents:

‘Publishing Books for Children’

An evening of Insights into Literature for Little people with

Paddy O’Doherty, Siobhan Parkinson, Svetlana Pironko, Sarah Webb.

WHEN:          8.00pm.  Thursday October 8th 2009

WHERE:       United Arts Club, 3 Upper Fitzwilliam Street , Dublin 2.

COST:         €3 members, €5 non-members.

Booking essential as places are limited.
E-mail irishpen@ireland.com, phone: 087 966 0770.

Paddy O’’Doherty is the newly appointed Editor of Puffin Ireland and has a wealth of experience in children’s literature, having worked with Children’s Books Ireland for many years, and acted as Administrator on the Bisto Awards, Ireland’s foremost children’s book awards.  She holds a Masters in Children’s Literature and prior to taking up her appointment with Puffin, edited BookFest 2009.

Siobhan Parkinson has written about twenty books for children.  She is Commissioning Editor of a new children’s imprint, Little Island, part of New Island Books.  Little Island will be publishing new books for children (9+) and for younger teenagers (12-15), with a particular focus on quality fiction by Irish writers, alongside a small list of books in translation.  Find out more on www.siobhanparkinson.com.

Svetlana Pironko is an experienced international agent and director of Author Rights Agency Ltd, which effectively creates a literary bridge between the USA and Europe . Based in Dublin and Paris , this agency has well-established connections throughout the world and Svetlana has direct experience of working with all players in the writing process, as well as selling rights all over the world. 

Sarah Webb worked as a children’s bookseller, marketing manager and buyer for many years before becoming a full-time writer.  To date, she has written or edited twenty-three books.  Her latest adult novel Anything for Love and her latest book for young teenagers is Amy Green, Teen Agony Queen.  She has an early reader coming out next year with O’Brien Press.  Sarah is also the children’s reviewer for the Irish Independent.  Find out more on www.sarahwebb.ie

NOTE TO EDITOR

Irish PEN is affiliated to International PEN, a worldwide association of writers with over 140 branches in 90 countries. PEN stands for poets, playwrights, editors, essayists and novelists. The organisation exists to promote friendship, freedom of expression, international goodwill and intellectual co-operation between writers from a variety of mediums.

Monthly meetings take place in the heart of Georgian Dublin at The United Arts Club, 3 Upper Fitzwilliam Street , Dublin 2.  Annual membership costs €40 a year, or €30 for associate members. An application form for membership can be downloaded from www.irishpen.com

http://debifaulkner.blogspot.com/

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel
LilyPad Princess, for 7-9 year olds
WereWhat?, coming August 20

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2009, 02:44 AM »
Chasing,
Thank you so much for that.  I probably wouldn't be able to make it, but I really appreciate you thought of me and will definitely check out the the website.  It is just a little too soon after the conference and I am broke!
How did you hear about it anyway?
 :thankyou

Offline chasing my tail

• Poster Plus
  • Metaphors be with you!
    • my blog
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2009, 02:48 AM »
I'm a member of Irish PEN (can't bear to "unenroll" myself!).

Anyway, they send out emails, and I got this one this morning.

http://debifaulkner.blogspot.com/

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel
LilyPad Princess, for 7-9 year olds
WereWhat?, coming August 20

Offline C.K.

• Chronic
  • Poster Plus
    • C.K.
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2009, 04:46 AM »
I'm glad the conference went well :) It's been years and years since I researched literary agents in Ireland but I do know that the Lisa Richards agency has a literary division

http://www.lisarichards.ie/literary.php

and there's Marianne Gunn-O'Connor http://www.writersservices.com/agent/uk08/marianne_gunn_oconnor.htm
I Know It's Over
One Lonely Degree
My Beating Teenage Heart
Yesterday

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2010, 06:13 AM »
Hey guys I know this is old, butI I just thought I would tell you the opinion of the leprechauns last conference last September was generally good and they were thinking of holding the next one in my home city.  One thing they wanted to concentrate on was critiquing.  I am still useless at it so any redirection would be much obliged.  
Thanks

I was doing a little tidying today and found the statistics of the conference I attended last September.  It made for interesting reading: 57/83 returned the survey sheet:
Leaflet:22
Inis(irish) magazine:1
Heard from a friend:2
Illustration Course:1
Voluntary Arts advert:1
Bookshop:1
I learned about it through SCBWI membership.  Is it me or do the figures seem a little low?  So I am curious, how did you guys find out about it?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:42 AM by thunderingelephants »

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
Re: Any fellow leprechauns-I have an invitation?!
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2010, 06:13 AM »
I have a query: I received an email this morning, inviting me to a book launch tomorrow.  I can't even remember meeting this author but it is in my home city which is tiny and won't take me long to reach the book store, probably 20 minutes.
Do you think I should attend?  I haven't a clue what to expect.

vfury

« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2010, 09:39 AM »
If it's a book or author you like, I say go for it. There's usually refreshments involved, and you don't have to stay to the very end--a lot of people just come to support the author and buy a book, say hi if they want to, and then leave once the speeches are done. At the very least you can mention to the author that you enjoyed the book--you never know what might come of initiating contact like that.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15 AM »
Looksl like a bogus invite because I went to enquire today and no-one seemed to know what I was talking about.  It is only a short trip from home anyway.  I will let you know what happens.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
Re: Any fellow leprechauns?-Can't find the leprechauns!
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2010, 06:16 AM »
 :clover  St. Patrick sends his regards   Don'r know about these guys  :irishbeer I haven't met them yet.  I have made truffles for the occasion.  Tuck in.  Might let you know if I find those little green fellows.  Patronising to all other irish but I think they forgive me today.  I hope!

Offline C.K.

• Chronic
  • Poster Plus
    • C.K.
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2010, 07:40 AM »
I watched the Dublin parade live on the Internet and was longing for Ireland so bad. Wah!  :) Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone!   :irishbeer
I Know It's Over
One Lonely Degree
My Beating Teenage Heart
Yesterday

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2010, 04:20 AM »
I am off to an SCBWI meeting in my very own city this afternoon.  Wish me luck.  Finally, action outside of the capital city and I can't say that often so I am going to revel in it.
Enjoy your Saturday, guys. Have to dash. :clover

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2011, 09:30 AM »
 :irishbeer
It's coming around again.  That big green day.  Just curious, of all of you out there who have a parade, how long do they last?  Ours is quite short-about an hour and a half, with about two and a half thousand people, traipsing up the main street of the city.
What do you lot get up to?

Offline RebeccaC

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Member since 2007
    • website
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Hi Thundering,

Just getting around to reading this posting about a year too late.

Many agents accept email submissions. Perhaps not so much in the UK, but definitely most of the ones I've queried in the US. Check out this website for great info on US agents if you haven't already: http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/
IT'S RAINING BATS AND FROGS (Feiwel&Friends, 2015)
THERE WAS A WEE LASSIE WHO SWALLOWED A MIDGIE (Floris, 2014)
www.rebeccacolbybooks.com
@amscribbler

Offline ltwilton

• Poster Plus
  • Currently on a steep learning curve...
    • L T Wilton's blog
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2012, 05:08 AM »
Oh my goodness! There really aren't many Irish people here!

Does Northern Irish count as a leprechaun? I'm pretty sure we have leprechauns in Ulster as well. I always found this funny - did you know that the most northerly point in Ireland is in the south?  :lol2:

Explanation: the most northerly part of Ireland is in Donegal, which is part of Ulster but not part of the 6 counties of Northern Ireland. It is technically, what we call in Northern Ireland, "Southern Ireland" (Eire). I always thought that was funny, one of those typically daft things you can say about our wonderful home,  :hahaha.

:clover

Connect with me on twitter : @ltwilton

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2012, 05:48 AM »
When I lived in England, I used to become quite irate with some people. No-one in the Republic refers to Ireland as Eire. Also, there's an East and West. Example: the area where most Irish speakers dwell is the West. Dublin, is East and I live in the South.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2012, 05:53 AM »
Also, most people in people Ireland would address Northern Ireland in that context and refer to other towns and cities in the province by their individual names.

Offline ltwilton

• Poster Plus
    • L T Wilton's blog
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2012, 08:59 AM »
I don't think I understand your last post. (I'm probably being thick - this happens often...) Could you explain it to me? (sorry).

Also, believe it or not, it's more than just that in England that gets me irate. People don't understand at all the situation with Northern Ireland. They only know about the bits that have found their way into the British press.
I found that back home, people would refer to me as British but here they automatically refer to me as Irish. (I do have both passports though so... lol.)

I'm thinking that the ignoring of the west and east comes from the same idea that refers to the Republic as "Southern Ireland". I think it is an old fashioned loyalist way of referring to Ireland. It is just habit that people call it that although my grandfather still refers to the Republic as "the free state" but I don't use that phrase. I quite like the word éire as I like Irish language words and how they are written. (I am a linguist though but never got the chance to learn Irish although I would have liked to.) If they had decided to give Northern Ireland a new name when they broke Ireland in two then the southern thing wouldn't have become a problem. They still refer to Northern Ireland as Ulster and this is not technically correct either.

I like to think of Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connaught actually.  That way my region actually includes Donegal, Sligo, Monaghan and Cavan. I used to run in the Ulster cross country championship and ran against kids from these regions. (I made a lot of friends from Cavan and Monaghan - they really seemed into their cross country running back then).

I really wish that the separation and the troubles had never happened. Growing up in Northern Ireland in the 70s, 80s and 90s was not fun at times. There was a lot I was exposed to as a child which was not normal and there was too much death around. Things are different now though, thank goodness, but it took a long time for that to happen.

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2012, 10:07 AM »
I'm actually on a bus right now so I will answer later. What I meant was that although Northern Ireland is technically in Ulster, there is the separation. Therefore, people living in Ulster would say the north of Ireland or refer to the province rather than saying they live in Northern Ireland, because that implies as part of Britain.

Offline ltwilton

• Poster Plus
    • L T Wilton's blog
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Oh, I get what you mean. Of course - I know that!   :) I mentioned the Ulster thing being not quite right in my last post.

And that's what I meant before. Donegal isn't in Northern Ireland even though its most northerly part is further north. That was the joke,  :lol2:

I know, I know - don't give up the day job... I need to think of funnier jokes, :)