Author Topic: Goal making for writers  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Penn Bender

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
Goal making for writers
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Hi everyone.  I'm giving a presentation next week to a group of adults about making goals.  I wondered if any of you have success stories to share about how making your own long-term goals or simple daily to do lists have helped you in your writing career.

Offline olmue

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
    • Der Buchwald
Re: Goal making for writers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Mm, facing accountability does more for me than listing goals. So, deadlines or people waiting to crit are bigger motivators. Having a regular crit schedule is what helped me finish two novels. No amount of goal-announcements would have worked like the deadlines!

But uh, maybe someone else is better at the goal thingie.

Offline Joni

• Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • Plunge!
    • Joni's Imagination Zone
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:51 PM »
This might not be what you want to hear, but after many years of being in critique groups where we each set our yearly goals and I was virtually the only one who ever even remembered what they were (though we did write them down and do a mid-year check in), let alone accomplished most of them, I think it has more to do with the personality, determination, and prioritization processes (or maybe goal orientation) of the individual than the act of making them and writing them down.

I'm probably becoming jaded in my old age, though. ;)  Hopefully others can give you some good success stories!
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Phoebe

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 03:23 PM »
I recently did some research on goal-setting for writers for a group-blog post. Two things stuck in my mind:

1) Factor in some fun. Set aside one goal that involves writing/researching/whatever just for fun.

2) Be grateful for what you have and proud of what you've achieved already. Then, if you fail to meet a goal, you will be more able to keep it in perspective.

Phoebe

Offline Penn Bender

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Thank you.  These responses are helpful. 
I consider wanting to have something ready for a critique as a goal.  Having people hold your feet to the fire is definitely a motivator.
And I love adding the fun factor.  If goals are just about guilt, then no thanks.

Offline Pam

• pretty pink princess poster
  • Poster Plus
  • Oh, stinky troll's feet!
    • Picture Book University
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:46 PM »
 One time when I was at the SCBWI Asilomar conference, an anointed speaker/writer/illustrator, Patricia Polacco, told us to write our goals on a card as if they'd already happened, not as if you wanted them to happen. Then we prayed and threw them into a fire. It was very inspirational (and effective--all of my goals were achieved save one and I'm working on that last goal.) I've recently written out new goals as if they've already happened. We'll see!

We kept another card with the goals so we could look at them and see how we've achieved. It's always on my desk.
Picture Book University
http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/p/picture-book-university.html

Princess Peepers books
Multiplying Menace series

Offline MaryWitzl

• Poster Plus
    • ResidentAlien
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41 AM »
If I've got a deadline, I can meet my goals. But I need the deadline.

This year, I deliberately did NOT make a New Year's resolution list. I know what I have to do and that I'm the only one who can do it. And this year, I've already met a few of the goals I've had in mind (but not on any list). Don't know if that makes sense, but it's worked for me. Writing New Year's resolutions always makes me feel guilty and overwhelmed. Simply keeping them in mind gives me the illusion that I've got more wiggle room.

Offline lindsey

• Poster Plus
  • I love lamp!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 08:14 AM »
Honestly, when I'm on deadline or really stuck, I buy lots of chocolate. I set small goals, like write two pages, and when I reach the goal, I get a treat. Then, I'll usually have a bigger reward (like a pair of shoes) for larger goals. Notice I didn't say a new pair of jeans. That's because after all the chocolate rewards, the shoes are the only guaranteed fit :)
PRINCESS FOR HIRE Out now!
SEAN GRISWOLD'S HEAD (Bloomsbury, March 2011)
THE ROYAL TREATMENT (Hyperion, May 2011)

carlynnw

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:44 PM »
Oh, lindsey, I like your reward system!

Here's something that might be of interest to those trying to stay on track with goals.....

http://www.rescuetime.com/

I know I, for one, have a hard time resisting the temptations of the internet!  It's the ultimate procrastination tool.

bigmama

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 02:13 PM »
This year, my critique group made our usual goals, but also Vision Boards. We spent an evening with a table full of artsy stuff, poster board, glue scissors, paints, stickers, etc. We deocorated our boards to show our vision of our future. One put hers in her bathroom to look at each morning. She siad that  looking at it for 2 weeks reminded her she wasn't writing. So she went in her office and wrote. My board is in my office and I've been good about working (so far).

Offline Pam

• pretty pink princess poster
  • Poster Plus
  • Oh, stinky troll's feet!
    • Picture Book University
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 03:13 PM »
That's because after all the chocolate rewards, the shoes are the only guaranteed fit

LOL!!!! I need to try this one!
Picture Book University
http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/p/picture-book-university.html

Princess Peepers books
Multiplying Menace series

Offline Penn Bender

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 09:17 AM »
I need the chocolate just to meet my little goals.  Personal reward systems are great though.  And a vision board is a good idea too.  Thanks you guys.  I don't need this for my presentation anymore, but I am always making personal goals.