Author Topic: What's the last series book you read?  (Read 23490 times)

Offline LindaJoy

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Linda Joy Singleton author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG
    • Author of THE SEER (YA psychic series)
What's the last series book you read?
« on: April 12, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Let's talk series books!! 

The last series book I read was a chapter book called JUDY MOODY PREDICTS THE FUTURE by Megan McDonald.

I chose this book because I've been writing about psychics and wanted to study how a chapter book series handled the topic.   It was humorous and the story was lots of fun. No real fortune telling like in Dotti Enderle's FORTUNE TELLERS CLUB or my THE SEER series. But an enjoyable story with very lively dialogue and an enchanting main character.  A good series for kids just starting to read books on their own. LJ Singleton

So what's the last series book you read? 
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, GOTH GIRL series & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

KimRamsey

Re: What's the last series book you read?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 02:29 PM »
The last series book I read was *Blue is for Nightmares*, by Laurie Faria Stolarz, which I chose because it's a YA published by Llewellyn Worldwide, where I've submitted my YA series. It's a gripping story, and the characters are very believable and interesting. I ended up reading it in one sitting, because I had to find out what happened.

Dot

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 02:53 PM »
Because I am a sad, geeky HP fan, the last series book I read was Order of the Phoenix. I just re-read the entire series, getting ready for book 6.

kellyr

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Ooh, Dot -- what a good idea.  I can use a pick-me-up these days, and a reading of 1-5 would do it.  (I re-read the LOTR several times during the movie releases, too -- can't get enough of a good thing!)

The last series book I read was The Grim Grotto, the latest of the Series of Unfortunate events books.  (I also read many, many Henry & Mudge and Mr. Putter & Tabby books recently as part of my easy reader "career."  They aren't "series" in a technical sense, and they don't actually build on one another, but I'm counting them anyway since they feature the same characters.   So they sort of count, but not really.)

Offline Jen

• Uber Sparkly Poster
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 07:11 PM »
I just finished the first book in two different trilogies.  The first series, called "Midnighters," I picked up because it's a supernatural story set about half a mile from where I live in Oklahoma.  The summary starts with talk about how Bixby, Oklahoma is a supernatural town... since I live just outside of Bixby, I was strangely compelled to read it.

The second was a sci fi novel called "Uglies" (soon to be followed by book two, "Pretties") set in a future in which everyone receives intense cosmetic surgery once they reac they're sixteenth birthday.  I thought it was odd, but engrossing.

Offline Harrietthespy

• Poster Plus
  • So what's your point?
    • CTB's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 07:20 PM »
Does it have to be kids?  If so - His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman.  Still my favorite kid series.  Harry Potter is a favorite in this house, but is dragging on a bit for me.

If not kidlit then my absolute current love is adult fiction.  A friend recently got me hooked on the Vampire Huntress series by LA Banks.  Think of it as the multicultural adult version of Buffy the Vampire slayer.  The author, L.A. Banks also writes romance (which I'm not fond of) but this series is wonderfully full of fantasy mixed with horror mixed with spirituality.  (Ok - I admit it - I'm in love with the vampire more than the MC!) Never going back to Lestat or Anne Rice (lol!)......Christine
Sacred Mountain (Lee and Low, Spring 2009)

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • Practice. Pray. Persist. PATIENCE
    • Reading, Writing, Ruminating
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 09:45 PM »
I've been reading the Earth's Children: Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of the Horses, Mammoth Hunters, Plains of Passage, and Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel.  She's one master storyteller -- I can't remember but a while back someone was talking about omniscient viewpoint and she does it most excellently.  If just to see how a master writes with that all-knowing God voice, I'd recommend it.  I could never do it.
Vijaya
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com (current) www.vijayabodach.com (archived)
Author of 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

ponytailmom

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 10:40 PM »
I read to my 10 and 11 year old most nights before bed (they won't admit it, but they like the funny character voices I come up with). We just finished the second book in the Dinotopia series - I didn't like the changing of characters, but the kids didn't mind. Before that we finished reading The Order of the Phoenix. We read that one in record time - three months. The previous one took us two years because we were only reading it during camping trips!

Gloria

ponytailmom

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 10:49 PM »
Oh and we've just started City of Ember.

Ronni

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 05:25 AM »
Pitch Black by Melody Carlson.  I have one more in the series to finish.

I've also plowed through the A-List series and The Princess Diaries series over the past few months.  :)

ponytailmom

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 09:21 PM »
The Seer series by (drum roll please) our own Linda Joy who actually started this thread!

I was thrilled to find "Don't Die Dragonfly" and "Last Dance" all the way up here in Canada. I was going to save them for 'summer' reading while on vacation, but I couldn't wait and devoured them both in a few days. :reading2:

I like the strong characters and the many, many layers of story. I can't wait for "Witchball"!

Gloria

Offline Jennifer Rush

• Poster Plus
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 08:12 AM »
The last children's book of a series I read was the first book of the Spiderwick Chronicles.

Speaking of adult fiction I just devoured Every Which Way but Dead by Kim Harrison who is awesome! I can't wait till her next book comes out.
ALTERED (YA) Little, Brown Fall 2012
BOT WARS (MG) Dial Summer 2013
http://jennrush.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jenn_rush

Offline LindaJoy

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Linda Joy Singleton author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG
    • Author of THE SEER (YA psychic series)
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Gloria, so glad you enjoyed DON'T DIE DRAGONFLY and LAST DANCE.  I really enjoy writing this series and am hope to write them for a long time.  I'm currently writing the 4th and expect editor for #3 WITCH BALL anytime.

Thanks for supporting my series!  LJS
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, GOTH GIRL series & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Offline Jennifer Rush

• Poster Plus
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 01:36 PM »
I just purchased DON'T DIE DRAGONFLY. I've got to say I really liked the cover and I can't wait to read what's inside. I'm waiting for some alone time now that the holidays are over and things are quieting down. And if the back cover text gives any indication, I'll be devouring it and the rest of the series. I love getting into a new series, so keep on writing Linda Joy!!
ALTERED (YA) Little, Brown Fall 2012
BOT WARS (MG) Dial Summer 2013
http://jennrush.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jenn_rush

gracie

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 01:06 PM »
The Harry Potter Series, since I'm a rabid fan.  I'm working my way through the Magic Treehouse series with my kids.  They love them, but they try my patience sorely.  :zzz

Online Lindsey B

• Poster Plus
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 09:25 PM »
The Amber Spyglass, by Philip Pullman.

I've got to admit, it took me a loooooong time to get throught the first one. I couldn't get into it. But then I  just burned through the last two, and I wish there were more!

nhasnat

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 12:23 PM »
Hey, I read midnighters to, the first book and am in the process of getting the other.
I am reading the Bartimaeus books, and think Jonathon Stroud has a fantastic way of describing things, plus writing engaging plots.  The characters could be more emotive though....

Jennie_1551

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 01:21 PM »
HP 6, and I'm a fan of adult fiction writer Diana Gabaldon. I just started the third one, Voyager.

J.

ponytailmom

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 01:21 PM »
 I just picked up and read in one sitting - 'Sword Play', the fourth in Linda Joy's Seer series.
I really enjoyed it. You did a great job describing a fair and hinting at all sorts of trouble.

It seems I missed 'Witch Ball' though and will likely have to order it online now.

You really get inside your character's heads. Well done.

Gloria

Offline ghostgirl

• Totally Spooky Poster
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Any day, now...I can feel it...!
    • Haunting the Broken Tree
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Having read all the HP (which I love and can't wait for the final!), my son (9) and I just finished Charlie Bone and the Time Twister a few weeks ago.  We read together at night, and have just started the first book in the Bartimaeus series THE AMULET OF SAMARKAND.  So far, it's a winner!  :reading2:
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Offline triaandstar

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • SCBWI PAL
  • TRIA AND THE GREAT STAR RESCUE, Delacorte
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 02:23 PM »
The most recent series book I read was the first in the Dragonlance: the new adventure series.  Unfortunately the second one is one month overdue at the library so it may be awhile before I can read it.  I'm curious to see how they'll take what sounds like the same plot (band of friends try to help girl recover her memory by traveling to a distant place) and make it fresh and new.

Offline andracill

• Reader, reader, reader...
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • Worlds within...screaming to get out!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 02:39 PM »
I'm reading A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY by Libba Bray, which is now an official series because REBEL ANGELS is out.  I like it more than I thought I would (I'm not a huge Victorian Era fan) -- the mc is spunky and likeable, imo :)  And of course, HP -- and isn't GOLDEN the first of at least two?  So that counts (like that, as well).

Offline ghostgirl

• Totally Spooky Poster
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Any day, now...I can feel it...!
    • Haunting the Broken Tree
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 02:41 PM »
OOH!  I'll have to pick up Rebel Angels.  I read A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY earlier this summer.  Lots of fun! :books:
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Offline Mara P

• (aka Athena529)
  • Poster Plus
  • www.marapurnhagen.com
    • Mara Purnhagen
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 06:09 PM »
SEA OF MONSTERS by Rick Riordan. It's part of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Great MG series.
TAGGED (Harlequin Teen, March 2010)
PAST MIDNIGHT (Harlequin Teen, Sept. 2010)
ONE HUNDRED CANDLES (Harlequin Teen, March 2011)

Offline Gnat

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Natalie Hyde
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 04:56 AM »
I recently read some of Gordon Korman's series:  Island (a trilogy), Everest (a trilogy) and On The Run (a six book series).  I couldn't put them down.  I still have his trilogy Dive to read, but I refuse to start until I can take out all three books at once, the waiting for a book to be returned would kill me.  My daughter was reading them too and literally grabbing the books out of my hand as I finished them. 

I am also a huge Clan of the Cave Bear fan, although that is definitely NOT for children!

Someone mentioned The Uglies series earlier.  I haven't read this series but my daughter has and loved them.  After the Uglies came The Pretties and The Specials.   The premise sounded interesting. 
Saving Armpit ~ Fitzhenry&Whiteside '11
I Owe You One ~ Orca '11
Cryptic Canada ~ Owlkids, Oct '12
Hockey Girl ~ F&W, Nov '12
www.nataliehyde.com

Offline angela

• SCBWI Regional Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
    • Angela Cerrito
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 01:05 PM »
Pretties, Uglies & Specials (Westerfield) Just before that I re-read Pulman's Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass

& my kids are reading little house & junie B
www.angelacerrito.com
Blog "Collecting my thoughts"
http://www.angelacerrito.com/collecting-my-thoughts
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

SharonP

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 07:51 AM »
Cressida Cowell's adventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III.  My children love this series.

Offline Jeff_S

• Poster Plus
  • The Last Dogs: The Long Road
    • jeffsampsonbooks.com
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 02:52 PM »
The most recent series book I read was the first in the Dragonlance: the new adventure series.  Unfortunately the second one is one month overdue at the library so it may be awhile before I can read it.  I'm curious to see how they'll take what sounds like the same plot (band of friends try to help girl recover her memory by traveling to a distant place) and make it fresh and new.

Whoa, what a surprise to read that here, since I write for the DLYA series.  I think the series goes to lots of unexpected places, especially starting with book four.  Book one reads a bit young compared to all the other books, so I think if you continue on you'll be pleasantly surprised.  The end of the arc that starts in the book you read is in book 8, which I wrote, so if you get that far I'd like to know what you think.
THE LAST DOGS (as Christopher Holt) - Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
DEVIANTS - Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins

http://jeffsampsonbooks.com

DerekJ

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 04:07 PM »
I'd like to say the last one was Lemony Snicket (c'mon, Snick, where's our post-Penultimate finale?), but thanks to audiobooks, I happened to stumble upon the supremely underwhelming "Spiderwick Chronicles".

(Nickelodeon's making a movie of this one, too?--Out of WHAT??
Somebody wishfully judged a fantasy-series book by its cover...   :eh: )

Offline ecb

• Poster Plus
    • ElizabethCBunce.com
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2006, 12:39 PM »
I've really enjoyed Kate Constable's Chanters of Tremaris series (THE SINGER OF ALL SONGS, THE WATERLESS SEA, THE TENTH POWER)... although I've yet to read the final installment.  Catherine Fisher also has a lovely historical fantasy series inspired by ancient Egypt: THE ORACLE BETRAYED and THE SPHERE OF SECRETS.  ORACLE was one of the most gripping books I'd read in years.  Not sure when #3 is coming....  And Sharon Shinn had a couple of series debut in the last couple of years: THE SAFE-KEEPER'S SECRET & THE TRUTH-TELLER'S TALE (YA), and an adult-side series, MYSTIC AND RIDER and THE THIRTEENTH HOUSE.

I'd say that MYSTIC and THIRTEENTH are probably kid-safe... although I should mention that I DID read CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR when I was ten.  :reading2:
Liar's Moon
StarCrossed
A Curse Dark as Gold
www.elizabethcbunce.com
My Blog