Author Topic: What's the last series book you read?  (Read 23704 times)

Offline triaandstar

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • SCBWI PAL
  • TRIA AND THE GREAT STAR RESCUE, Delacorte
Re: What's the last series book you read?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2006, 06:27 PM »
Just finished the second in the Dragonlance: the new adventures series.  Jeff, you were right.  The plot went in a direction I didn't expect and I enjoyed it very much.

Offline Susan

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 07:09 AM »
Blue Balliett's THE WRIGHT 3. I actually liked it better than the first book in the series (CHASING VERMEER). But as one who gobbles detective stories as if they were potato chips, I don't consider these books mysteries, as they are advertised to be. The young detectives are often noticing coincidence rather than deciphering clues. But I like the Chicago setting, the multi-culturism, and the way the three main characters are distinguished by their ways of learning and perceiving. And in this second book, there is a developing connection between the evil-doers and the kids that makes sense and is not coincidental.

dreams_drawer

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2006, 10:12 PM »
I read HP and the last book that I read was Half-Blood Prince.

I also read Chronicle of Narnia series,from Magician's Nephew until The Last Battle

And now I still looking for the complete series of  Artemis Fowl  (I heard that those book will end in 4 volumes but I still found the first volume) and The Chronicle of ancient darkness Trilogy (I also found the first only, The Wolf Brother).

Anyone could help me where can I find those books?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:42 PM by dreams_drawer »

Offline Sam Hranac

• is pleased to meet 'cha
  • Poster Plus
  • Reach for the stairs. They're closer.
    • Sam's Blog
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 08:14 AM »
I just chewed through all the Disk World books. My son loved Hank the Cowdog. He now likes the Zak series.
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Offline Pippa

• Pippa
  • Poster Plus
  • Never give up!
    • Pippa's Ponderings
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 01:55 PM »
No one has posted here for a while, and I have some wonderful series I like to rave about.

Meghan Whaller-Turner's "The Thief", "The Queen of Attolia" and "The King of Attolia"
Scott Westerfeld's "Uglies", "Pretties" and "Specials"
Eoin Colfer's "Artemis Fowl"
Jonathan Stroud's "Bartimaeus Trilogy"
Louise Rennison - the Georgia Nicholson series. The first is called "Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging", and the other titles are just as outrageous. Hilarious reading if you like Brit humor (the MC is 14 so not for younger kids)

I enjoyed Angie Sage's "Magyk" and "Flyte"
Loved Richard Peck's "A Long Way from Chicago" and "A Year Down Yonder", but I guess 2 books don't count as a series ...

Margaret Peterson-Haddix has written a lot of "Among the Hidden" sequels (6, 7 , 8?) The first is good, but they go down-hill from there. Kids seem to love them despite the writing.
Jeane duPraue (I think that's how you spell her name) wrote "City of Ember", then "People of Sparks", and recently "Prophet of Yonwood". Again, the first book is great but couldn't get into the others.

(Wow, Sam - all the Disk World books. That takes some staminer, tho I love Terry Pratchett)

Will add as I think of more ...   ;D

« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:31 PM by Pippa »
http://pippa_bayliss.livejournal.com/
Facebook: Pippa Bayliss
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

Wordbender

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 02:15 PM »
My son and I are reading The Five Ancestors series.  It is about five warrior monks in China and the supposed origins of kung-fu fighting.  Its okay, I guess.  Maybe its a guy thing - my nine year old thinks its great stuff.  Its a debut for the author and I keep getting distracted by all the flaws in it.   - Anne

Offline Pippa

• Pippa
  • Poster Plus
  • Never give up!
    • Pippa's Ponderings
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 10:30 PM »
My son and I are reading The Five Ancestors series.  It is about five warrior monks in China and the supposed origins of kung-fu fighting.  Its okay, I guess.  Maybe its a guy thing - my nine year old thinks its great stuff.  Its a debut for the author and I keep getting distracted by all the flaws in it.   - Anne

I'm sorry to hear that. I had heard good things, and I'm pretty sure Laura Rennert at Andrea Brown Lit is the guy's agent, so expected better. I feel the same way about the "Percy Jackson" series. I think ten year old boys like them.
http://pippa_bayliss.livejournal.com/
Facebook: Pippa Bayliss
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

Offline olmue

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
    • Der Buchwald
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 12:11 AM »
The latest series books I've read are

River Secrets, by Shannon Hale. Sure liked Razo as a character, and I'm glad he finally got his own book
New Moon, by Stephenie Meyer. Twilight was more complete in and of itself, but I liked Jacob and liked the way the series changed
The Named, by Marianne Curley. I think I liked it, although I had issues with the sudden change in relationship direction in the middle
Harry Potter (again). Liked book 6 better this time around. Can't wait for Deathly Hallows!

Wordbender

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 07:38 AM »
Hey Pippa - I guess the good new is that I will be buying the rest of the series for my son - Kaching!  :EmoticonDollar: for the author.  Also, just wanted to mention the other series we are reading, and LOVE, which is Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider series.  Fun read. 

And Olmue, book six of HP was definately better than book five - which I had to force myself to get through.  I sure hope she hits it out of the park with book seven to end the series.   

Offline olmue

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
    • Der Buchwald
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2006, 12:24 AM »
HP5 could have been shaved down a lot, and the 900 pages of Harry in a bad mood were hard to read. But there were a lot of funny parts, too, and in the end, Harry DID something.

I just kinda felt that book 6 was all setup. Harry learned a lot of things, and some things happened around him, but what did he DO? (Aside from follow Dumbledore around.) And I'm a diehard Harry fan.

OTOH, it IS setup for book 7. Can't. Wait!

kellyr

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2006, 09:10 AM »
The last series books I read were The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper -- somehow I missed these growing up, and I just read all five of them.  Prior to that, the last series books I read were the Araminta Spookie books.

LindaJM

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2006, 09:31 AM »
I just finished reading Over Sea, Under Stone, which is the first novel in Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series. I also recently read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

Offline Jen

• Uber Sparkly Poster
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 01:41 PM »
I just read three new series books- two that are the first books in upcoming series, and one that is the last book in a series I've loved for a long time.  The latter was the last book in the 1-800-WhereRU series by Meg Cabot, and I thought it was the perfect end.  I actually liked it even better than the final Mediator book- somehow, it fit really well with the rest of the series, but was also very different and focused less on the supernatural power and more on the way the characters have changed and grown.  The two first-in-new-series books I read were BEKA COOPER: TERRIER by Tamora Pierce and I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU by Ally Carter, and I really loved them both.  The Tamora Pierce book was my favorite of hers since The Immortals series, which was at least two series back.  It's first person, which is a change for her, but so well done, and it has a great mystery plotline and some wonderful new fantasy elements, as well as an engaging cast of characters.  Love You, Kill You struck me as surprisingly realistic given that it's about a bunch of girls at spy school- probably because the voice felt so genuine to me.  I'm looking forward to the continuations of both series!

luckydog

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 02:13 PM »
Just finished City of Ember by Jeanne DePrau. It was very good, compelling futuristic novel. I'm on the second, People of Sparks, which is seeming a little too predictable, but I haven't gotten that far into it yet. I know there's a prequel out, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Donna

Offline msw

• Poster Plus
  • Chasing Daydreams
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 06:00 PM »
I'm currently reading A Feast for Crows by George R R Martin.  I'm a sucker for series books and recurring characters.

Offline chan

• Member.
  • Poster
    • Fumbling with Fiction
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I just read MARKED and BETRAYED, the first two books in P.C. and Kristin Cast's HOUSE OF NIGHT series.

And I also read I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU, the first Gallagher Girls book by Ally Carter
Fumbling with Fiction @ www.chandlermariecraig.wordpress.com

Offline DeirdreK

• Poster Plus
    • Mommy Writes
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 06:28 PM »
Naomi Novik's Victory of Eagles (book 5 in the Temeraire series--Napoleonic Wars + Dragons! Hooray!!!!)

And, to my daughters:

Magic Treehouse: Lions at Lunchtime---  The kids just can't get enough of Jack and Annie!

Offline Jen

• Uber Sparkly Poster
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Let's see, in the past few weeks I've read:

FIRST IN A NEW SERIES:
The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
Airhead by Meg Cabot
Quantum Prophecy: The Awakening by Michael Carroll

ENTIRE SERIES
The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

BOOKS IN AN ONGOING SERIES
Feast of Fools by Rachel Caine (Morganville Vampires series)
Split-Second Sight by Dan Jolley (Alex Unlimited series)

SuzyWilliams

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2008, 06:43 PM »
Hi Linda Joy and all - I agree with the poster who can't put down the Gordon Korman series. I actually took part of a vacation day in NY City to track down the third book of Everest because I'd finished book number two and had to read number three - that night. As for latest series, I read most of what Terri Farley writes - Phantom Stallion and Wild Horse Island Series - I love horse books. And I have one of Linda Joy's books waiting for me on my pile by my bed. SuzyW

Offline Susan

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2008, 06:25 AM »
I'm liking the Enola Holmes series (Nancy Springer). These are detective stories featuring Sherlock Holmes' younger sister. She unravels a mystery in each volume, but there is also a greater mystery that arcs through the whole series.

Paulahy

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Oooh it was the Scott Westerfeld Uglies and Midnighter series.  I haven't finished either one, unfortunately.  But for awhile there I was on a roll and loving them.

He's like my YA Stephen King, I can't get enough of his stuff. If it weren't for my own pesky writing, I could have finished.   :lol

-P

Offline ecb

• Poster Plus
    • ElizabethCBunce.com
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2008, 02:38 PM »
I read the Shannon Hale Bayern books a few weeks ago, and just finished Patricia Elliott's AMBERGATE, the sequel to MURKMERE (*lurved* MURKMERE.).
Liar's Moon
StarCrossed
A Curse Dark as Gold
www.elizabethcbunce.com
My Blog

Offline Sam Hranac

• is pleased to meet 'cha
  • Poster Plus
  • Reach for the stairs. They're closer.
    • Sam's Blog
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2008, 03:03 PM »
I am impatiently awaiting the 3rd book of Monster Blood Tattoo as we speak.
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Offline Amy S

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Adventures in writing
    • AmySHansen.com
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2008, 03:37 PM »
We just went to the bookstore to buy Angie Sage's Quest -- the next in the Septimus Heap -- I gulped it after my kid finished (he reads fast)

and Garth Nix's Superiour Sat. -- the Keys to the Kingdom.

amy
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Yunaleska

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2008, 04:08 AM »
Currently reading Magic Lost, Trouble found by Lisa Shearin.

Recently read included Scott Westerfeld Uglies series :) fantastic! Inspired a new wip from me.

eryan75

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Percy Jackson series...love those books!  We're reading book 1 in my class this year (I love being the teacher!).

catephoenix

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 10:35 AM »
The Darkside series by Tom Becker (MG Horror set in London) - I've just bought the third book in the series 'Nighttrap' and can't wait to read it. 

Rena

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 01:46 PM »
The last series I read were the LEFT BEHIND ones by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, for the second time, including the prequels. 

Offline msw

• Poster Plus
  • Chasing Daydreams
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 04:51 PM »
INTO THE LAND OF UNICORNS, book 1 of the UNICORN CHRONICLES by Bruce Coville.  It was a fun read and I have the second ready to go when I finish my current read. 

Offline ShannonH

• Poster Plus
    • Shannon Hitchcock Freelance Writer
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Twilight though I haven't read the sequels.

The last book I read the entire series was The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I love those girls!