Author Topic: Anyone else working on a sequel?  (Read 9393 times)

Offline Juliarts2003@yahoo.com

• addicted to YA
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Truth, Puffin/Speak, 1/19/2012
    • My website
Re: Anyone else working on a sequel?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I'm working on a sequel, too. Well... should be working on it. Am editing what I'd written before edits with debut novel came up. Now it's back to the sequel. Not sure how I'm doing yet - but, I'll update...
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Offline Kiki Hamilton

• Poster Plus
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 08:49 PM »
hi Deva and all - thanks for bumping this thread - I think this is so interesting to hear everybody else's process.  I'm working on a sequel.  I actually wrote the first draft before I sold my book so now that my ed revisions are done I'm  tying it in with book one.  The thing I worry about is that the plot is quite different than book one, which is good, because I don't want to write the same book twice (know  what I mean?) but will it be interesting enough??? you know - the eternal question.   :ahh
THE FAERIE RING
THE TORN WING
THE SEVEN YEAR KING-Sept 17th, 2013

YA Contemp:
THE LAST DANCE

http://www.kikihamilton.

Offline elissacruz

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
  • SCBWI RA
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Oh, I broke through my apathy writer's block and finished the revisions.  Now I'm waiting for Agent Man to read it.  It still needs some serious polishing, but hopefully no major revisions.  Fingers crossed.

I'm a blog. Elissa's blog.  http://elissacruz.blogspot.com/

Offline Deva

• Poster Plus
    • Deva Fagan's Website
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 03:02 AM »
Just popping in to say I finished the draft of my sequel this weekend. Woohoo!

It's definitely a bit short (53K). But then, my drafts normally run 55K, and expand by a few chapters to 60K during revision. Once I get a little distance from it I'll do a read-through to get a scope for the revision needed, and I expect I'll see a few big holes that need filling. I am still vacillating between fears that I've tried to put in too much stuff, and fears that there's not enough going on, so I can tell I am not very clear minded on it right now! :-)
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

Offline Jen

• Uber Sparkly Poster
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 08:03 AM »
I'm back in sequel mode- knee-deep in revision, which I need to have done in about another week.  I'm hitting the point where I desperately wish I could go back and change just a few small things in book one, but alas, that is not to be!

Offline Jaclyn Dolamore

• Poster Plus
    • Jaclyn Dolamore's Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Well, I think I've moved past the problems I was griping about in my last post. I solved a lot of problems by adding a second point of view to the book. Nimira, the protagonist from Magic Under Glass, still has 2/3rds or more of the narrative, but putting in a new character who has a very different arc seems to have freshened it up and made it more standalone. I hope my editor likes him being in there...

I've reached 50k now and gotten past the slower, quieter part, and now I'm in the midst of some very action packed stuff. Exciting! Stay tuned for more angst when I get to the end, but for the moment it's smooth sailing...
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

m_stiefvater

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 03:11 PM »
Heh heh, I just finished my final draft of FOREVER, which is a sequel's sequel, and I have to say, I'm feeling relieved that my next project is a standalone. *grin*

Offline Jen

• Uber Sparkly Poster
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Lucky, lucky Maggie!  I love the freedom of writing a new standalone after being in sequel mode.

Jackie, here's hoping your sailing continues to be smooth!

Offline Jaclyn Dolamore

• Poster Plus
    • Jaclyn Dolamore's Blog
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I think all that actually happened is I've just developed a serious crush on the secondary POV character and it's made everything else better...
Dark Metropolis, 6/14

Offline Jen

• Uber Sparkly Poster
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 09:01 PM »
For me, one of the magic sequel-writing moments is when I figure out what's NEW and DIFFERENT about the sequel, and those are often the parts that I'm most excited to write, so I can totally see how the secondary POV would flip the switch there!

Offline ecb

• Poster Plus
    • ElizabethCBunce.com
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I'm back in sequel mode- knee-deep in revision, which I need to have done in about another week.  I'm hitting the point where I desperately wish I could go back and change just a few small things in book one, but alas, that is not to be!

Hee! That's where I am now. One of the major characters just revealed something to me that would have been MUCH more useful/interesting/appropriate for Book 1 than Book 3. Sigh.

It's not so much "I wish I hadn't written it *that* way," as "It would have been nice to think of this two years ago..."
Liar's Moon
StarCrossed
A Curse Dark as Gold
www.elizabethcbunce.com
My Blog

Offline Kiki Hamilton

• Poster Plus
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 12:30 PM »
I just heard back from my agent on my sequel and she loved it (sigh of relief!) I've got some minor tweaking to do and then I think I'm going to write book 3 - because it would be nice to tie some threads into book 2 but I can't until I know what happens in book 3 - yanno??  And since I have *no idea* when my sequel is due to my editor I figure I've got time. 

I've gone from ed. revisions on The Faerie Ring into revising the sequel (which I had written previously) to revising a WIP I wrote last spring. I can't wait to dive into writing a first draft!!  I think I love that part of the process most! :chesirecat
THE FAERIE RING
THE TORN WING

YA Contemp:
THE LAST DANCE

Offline Amanda Marrone

• Poster Plus
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 05:48 AM »
Just found this thread--I've been a long time gone because I had back to back sequels to write plus a standalone--in the last year. I had my first case of writers block with book two of my magic repair shop series and was filled with feelings of loathing while I was writing it. It got so bad I even fantasized about giving back the advance and wished I had sold book one as a standalone. Luckily for me, my editor loved book two and said she was suprised I'd had trouble with it as she had very llittle to suggest for revisions. I thought my troubles were over, but then I hit the block again for my next book due which was the standalone and the one after that (book three) which I just turned in--six months late! 

My agent and I have decided it's best for my mental health to write my next books and then try to sell them. Risky, yes and there'll be no deadline to motivate (or in my case freeze me up) but I couldn't be happier to just write for me and get back to loving the process again.
Uninvited
Revealers
Devoured
Magic Repair Shop Chronicles bks 1-3 8/10
Slayed '10

http://www.amandamarrone.com

Offline Deva

• Poster Plus
    • Deva Fagan's Website
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2010, 06:08 AM »
Wow, Amanda, that sounds like quite a year. Congrats on getting through it! I've basically come to the same conclusion re:selling on spec.

I just set aside my revision of the sequel I was working on when I started this thread, to let it marinate a bit (and because I started to hate it).  I love the characters and enjoyed writing much of the first draft so I am hoping I just need some time away to fall back in love with it.

Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly

Offline Amanda Marrone

• Poster Plus
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 07:31 AM »
Oh, for those of you working on book two before book one sold--I had started doing that years ago, but put it aside. Now book two is completely different from what I had planned based on the direction my editor wanted to take things, and one character who was to be the bad guy is now shows up in book three and turns out he wasn't so bad. I'm glad I didn't put too much time into writing that book years ago as it all would've been scrapped.
Uninvited
Revealers
Devoured
Slayed '10

Offline Jen

• Uber Sparkly Poster
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 09:00 AM »
So sorry to hear about all of the stress, Amanda--but glad you're able to write just for you and re-discover the love (which is something I try to do as often as I can).  Also, LOVE the cover for SLAYED  (and can't wait to read it).

Offline Amanda Marrone

• Poster Plus
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Thanks Jen--I was really happy with the cover--I got it before I finished the book so I was able to make fun of the HUGE stake Daphne is weilding on the cover. I'm part way through Raised by Wolves--wonderful! Unfortunately I had to take a break to read Mocking Jay so I could particpate in a book discussion at an indie this Friday. Sigh--that's all I'll say.
Uninvited
Revealers
Devoured
Slayed '10

Offline Megan

• YA & Spec Fic Writer
  • Poster Plus
  • Dreaming away...
    • megancrewe.com
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Last post here was a few months ago--who's still working on sequels?

I'm working up to starting the sequel to THE WAY WE FALL--have been brainstorming and loosely outlining but hope to get a thorough outline done by the end of December and start the actual writing by the beginning of January.  Really useful reading through all the comments here.  I don't have to worry about the middle-book problem because this is book 2 of 2.  I think my biggest concern right now is how closely to stick to the format of book 1.  THE WAY WE FALL is written in journal entries, which felt completely right for that book, but book 2, while continuing the same story, is more action-y and the characters are traveling around a lot more.  I'm worried it won't make narrative sense for the main character to be journaling the whole way through, and/or there will be scenes that can't be written effectively in that format.  My editor says she thinks just regular first person would be fine, but I'd kind of like to keep it consistent, you know?  (It is the same main character.)

Also have been thinking about how much backstory from book 1 to include... making book 2 accessible to readers who skip TWWF but not boring to readers who've read it.  :P

Where are the rest of you at?
GIVE UP THE GHOST, Holt, 2009
Fallen World trilogy, Hyperion, 2012-14
Earth & Sky trilogy, Skyscape/Penguin Canada, 2014-15
http://www.megancrewe.com

Offline Jaclyn Dolamore

• Poster Plus
    • Jaclyn Dolamore's Blog
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 04:34 PM »
I turned my sequel in to my editor at the beginning of November. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, and my crit partners approved, although I think my editor has some work cut out for her... (Sorry editor!!) I'm really glad I added the extra POV. It's not as drastic as your situation, Megan, but I was resisting adding a second POV because I wanted to keep it consistent with book 1, but once I stopped resisting things worked out much better. Of course every book is different and journal entries might work great for you, but my advice to sequel writers now is, don't resist different formats just for the sake of consistency.
Dark Metropolis, 6/14

Offline Deva

• Poster Plus
    • Deva Fagan's Website
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 04:42 AM »
My sequel is still on hiatus, but I am glad the thread was helpful Megan!

I can think of plenty of sequels that different POVs, or additional new POVs added (additional new POV in the second Bartimaeus book, entirely new POVs in the Attolia series). I definitely think you should do what is best for the book. Good luck!
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly

EricJ

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2010, 06:06 AM »
Got a sequel in readiness to one of the MG light-fantasies I'm working on now, simply because that's where the plot should go, whether it ever gets to that point or not.

Biggest annoyance, though:  Camouflaging the stand-alone recaps of the first book into the description and being subtle about it.
Can't things just pick up where they left off, and everyone just reads the first book first like good responsible readers?   :gaah

Offline ohmylorelei

• Poster Plus
  • http://laurelsnyder.com
    • Laurel Snyder
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 06:22 AM »
I'm working on a companion book (actually kind of a prequel). It's the first time I've done this (I usually do stand-alones), and I'm finding this process HARD.  The first book, Bigger than a Breadbox, will be out fall of 2011, so I'm still tweaking it (just headed off to become ar ARC) as I'm sort of drafting the outline for the companion book.   I'm petrified that things won't match up entirely.

Do other people struggle with this?

Offline Juliarts2003@yahoo.com

• addicted to YA
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Truth, Puffin/Speak, 1/19/2012
    • My website
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2010, 06:56 AM »
I am still sequelling... :ahh
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Offline elissacruz

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
  • SCBWI RA
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2010, 12:18 PM »
And I set my sequel aside and wrote an entirely new book instead.  The sequel will come out of the drawer if my agent is able to sell the first one, since writing the sequel without knowing the outcome of the first book was not doing good things for that sequel (I took my frustration out on that poor sequel, and it shows).  But at least it's a complete manuscript (albeit, not a very good one).

But amen to what EricJ said about those recaps.  HATE that part of the process. 

Good luck with that, Eric.  *snickers* :whistle
I'm a blog. Elissa's blog.  http://elissacruz.blogspot.com/

KimJo

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 02:23 PM »
I'm revising a sequel... book 5 in my Reality Shift series. (1 and 2 are already out; 3 and 4 are contracted.) I've already written all 10 books in the series, but some of them need massive revisions before the publisher sees them.

Offline rab

• Poster Plus
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Just finishing up a companion book (the last gasp polishing--it has to go to copyediting on Tuesday). I was a little confused about how much recapping I needed, but my editor was great about showing me where I should add more. She noted a couple of times that readers who came to the companion book first would need the information whereas readers who'd read the first book would enjoy being reminded. So, unlike Elissa, I didn't mind the recap at all. And it was a fun challenge to have to write within the parameters I'd already set up in the first book.
The Book of the Maidservant
The Coming of the Dragon
Peaceweaver
www.rebeccabarnhouse.com

Offline AnneN

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Working on getting the backstory problem licked in the opening of the sequel.  It's supposed to be able to stand alone yet feel like it's an organic continuation of the main character's story.  Sigh:  that's a pretty tricky balance, in practice.  This is my third Completely Different Approach to the problem, and I'm hoping this time the thing works.
 :crossedfingers
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Offline Megan

• YA & Spec Fic Writer
  • Poster Plus
  • Dreaming away...
    • megancrewe.com
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2010, 03:49 PM »
I can think of plenty of sequels that different POVs, or additional new POVs added (additional new POV in the second Bartimaeus book, entirely new POVs in the Attolia series). I definitely think you should do what is best for the book. Good luck!

The funny thing is, it's not about the POV so much as the format.  I'd feel more comfortable doing a different character's POV in journal format, than doing the same character's POV but not journal.  But ultimately I'll do what feels best for the book!  :)
GIVE UP THE GHOST, Holt, 2009
Fallen World trilogy, Hyperion, 2012-14
Earth & Sky trilogy, Skyscape/Penguin Canada, 2014-15
http://www.megancrewe.com

Offline jojohn

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • Perserverance
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Megan--could you do a video journal to deal with the change in pace of the story while allowing a degree of connection to the structure of book 1? Or write in first person with periodic journal entrys?

Offline Kiki Hamilton

• Poster Plus
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2010, 08:13 PM »
I'm still working on my sequels. Finished book 2 but writing book 3 to inform book 2 and it was very helpful!! (since I don't outline.)  While my MC stays the same in all 3 books, there is a different secondary POV in book 2 and different again in book 3. Hopefully they'll sell!
THE FAERIE RING
THE TORN WING

YA Contemp:
THE LAST DANCE