Author Topic: Anyone else working on a sequel?  (Read 9769 times)

Offline yellow_submarine

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • Website
Re: Anyone else working on a sequel?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 05:36 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm about 15,000 words into my first ever sequel (also my first experience of writing a novel under contract -- eek!). It's funny; I've drafted so many manuscripts I've lost count, but until now they've all been standalones. I’m realizing now that a sequel is an entirely different beast.

I'm terribly afraid of disappointing my editor, so it's reassuring to hear that others have gone through similar periods of self-doubt! I'd love to resurrect this thread if anyone else is currently drafting a sequel and fancies a chat about the process.
ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy
YA Fantasy
RandomHouse AU (2013-2014)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

http://skyemelki-wegner.com

Offline rab

• Poster Plus
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Hey, yellow-sub! I just turned in a "stand-alone companion book" on Monday, the second that I've done. But it was writing under contract that I found way more stressful than the fact that it was a follow-up book. What are you finding the most difficult? Since I was writing fantasy, it was a relief in some ways that I'd already done so much of the work of creating the world and now I could focus other things. You know, like plot and character!
The Book of the Maidservant
The Coming of the Dragon
Peaceweaver
www.rebeccabarnhouse.com

Offline yellow_submarine

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • Website
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Hi rab! Congrats on turning in your latest MS; it must be such a satisfying moment to finally hit "send." :)

That's an interesting point about world building in sequels. My MS is fantasy too, but I really love world building at the start of a project, so perhaps that's what I'm missing this time around. Hmmm…

Honestly, I think my major concern is recapturing the voice/ tone of my protagonist. It's been over a year since I wrote the first instalment, and the book is in 1st person so nailing her voice is pretty crucial.

Over the last day or so, though, I've started to feel more confident. I think the words are flowing more naturally now, so hopefully that continues. My narrator can be quite a stubborn character, so perhaps she just took a while to warm up again!  :laugh
YA Fantasy

Offline Christy

• Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • Luck= preparation + opportunity
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Hey! Wanted to chime in here. I'm scratching away at a sequel. It hasn't been bought yet but it's a book I just need to write whether or not it will get picked up or not. It's weird to actually start a book where I already know the characters!
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Offline ohmylorelei

• Poster Plus
  • http://laurelsnyder.com
    • Laurel Snyder
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Ha.  Just updating that the companion book I was working on when I posted to this thread almost TWO YEARS AGO is still being revised.  We had to push the deadline back twice, and it's killing me.  A huge part of what made the book hard was in the connections to the first book.

But finally we're discussing covers, so I guess it's safe to assume that I will finally slay this beast, and Seven Stories Up will enter the world in 2014!   Good luck to all you sequelers!

Offline Christy

• Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • Luck= preparation + opportunity
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2012, 03:21 AM »
Laurel- what a story. I'm so impressed that you haven't given up on it.
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Offline Hélène Boudreau

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
  • *yawn*
    • Hélène Boudreau
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2012, 05:03 AM »
Hooray, Laurel! You must be so relieved.

I just finished the third book in my mermaid series and in retrospect can say the second book was hard but the third was the hardest. Making connections from the first to the second to the third book while still giving each book its own story arc is like writing with one hand tied behind your back (because of the constraints of the world building you've created so far) but it's also as though your remaining hand grows five more fingers (because of all the delicious possibilities as the story continues to unfold).

However, it takes MUCH more effort to type with a ten-fingered hand! lolz
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Offline yellow_submarine

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • Website
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Well, I just sent Book II off to my agent! (She wants to look at it before we send it to my editor.) I'm really nervous about this… I hope it's not a disappointment. 

It hasn't been bought yet but it's a book I just need to write whether or not it will get picked up or not.

I think that's a great attitude. I felt the same way about this sequel when I originally finished Book I, but forced myself to move onto another project because it seemed too risky to write an unsold sequel. Now I wish I'd written it when I was first inspired to do so! :typing

But finally we're discussing covers, so I guess it's safe to assume that I will finally slay this beast, and Seven Stories Up will enter the world in 2014!   

Oooh, congrats! I hope all goes well for the rest of SSU's publication process; things can only get easier from now, right?  :)

I just finished the third book in my mermaid series and in retrospect can say the second book was hard but the third was the hardest. Making connections from the first to the second to the third book while still giving each book its own story arc is like writing with one hand tied behind your back (because of the constraints of the world building you've created so far) but it's also as though your remaining hand grows five more fingers (because of all the delicious possibilities as the story continues to unfold).

However, it takes MUCH more effort to type with a ten-fingered hand! lolz

Heheh, I love that analogy! Congrats on finishing Book III and I hope your poor fingers are now taking a much-deserved rest.
YA Fantasy

Offline dewsanddamps

• Poster Plus
  • Moderator Trainee
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 07:58 PM »
I wrote the middle book of a trilogy while revising the first for my agent. Love the characters, the period--just had a lot of fun writing both books.

Then my agent retired abruptly. Crap.

Instead of writing the third book, I've written something with which I can query. (Dear Lucky Agent: Since you didn't like Book 1, would you like to see Book 2?) And I know future editorial input could change Book 2, so I really shouldn't write 3 now.

But it itches all the time.
Twitter: KatieWritesBks