Author Topic: Oh, good grief!  (Read 3141 times)

Online Verla Kay

• Chief Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • Administrator
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
  • Logon Help Link --->
    • Trouble Logging onto the Board?
Oh, good grief!
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:32 PM »
I have egg all over my face. I just did a PodCast with Katie Davis about this message board and in our conversation I mentioned we had a genre section that included a board for people who write Ebooks. When we were done, I came to the board and realized we did NOT have a board for that! Obviously, it was needed, so to keep me from being a liar, and also for all of you that write Ebooks, here it is! Your very own board.

Enjoy, folks!
Verla Kay

LOG ON PROBLEMS? Use this link to submit a Trouble Ticket to Verla Kay:

http://www.verlakay.com/contact-form-2/

jack

Re: Oh, good grief!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Hi Verla,

I write ebooks, but I was under the impression that since they are self-published, I have to post only in that section.  What sorts of information is allowable on the ebooks board?

Thanks,

Jack

Offline pengwinz

• I used to be bad at crastinating, but now I'm a pro.
  • Poster Plus
  • Hello tourist
    • KJHowe Books
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:43 PM »
I have egg all over my face. I just did a PodCast with Katie Davis about this message board and in our conversation I mentioned we had a genre section that included a board for people who write Ebooks. When we were done, I came to the board and realized we did NOT have a board for that! Obviously, it was needed, so to keep me from being a liar, and also for all of you that write Ebooks, here it is! Your very own board.

Enjoy, folks!

Egg-cellent! I think we'll be seeing a lot more traffic here in the next year or so.

Offline C.K.

• Chronic
  • Poster Plus
    • C.K.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 02:03 PM »
What sorts of information is allowable on the ebooks board?

I'm curious about that too. What if you have a book out with a traditional publisher who has also released your novel in ebook format? Or are we talking self-published ebooks only?
I Know It's Over
One Lonely Degree
The Lighter Side of Life and Death
My Beating Teenage Heart
Yesterday
The Sweetest Thing You Can Sing (Sept 2014)

Online Verla Kay

• Chief Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • Administrator
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
  • Logon Help Link --->
    • Trouble Logging onto the Board?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 03:16 PM »
If you have written a self published Ebook, you will want to post your good news on the Self Published board so other people interested in self publishing will know if that's the best course for them to take. This board is for discussions of craft, problems, solutions, and the business end of creating Ebooks.

Does that answer your questions?
Verla Kay

LOG ON PROBLEMS? Use this link to submit a Trouble Ticket to Verla Kay:

http://www.verlakay.com/contact-form-2/

Offline traceymcox

• Poster Plus
  • *~*Dream... Believe... Reach for the stars!*~*
    • Tracey M. Cox   writer & children's book reviewer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:07 PM »
Thanks VERLA!  You so rock.  :hairdude

I have eBooks published with Guardian Angel Publishing & I'm not self published. All of Guardian Angel Publishing books start out as eBook, then authors have a choice of going into print. (WHICH I LOVE) The eBooks are available to download to your pc / as DVDs / also through Kindle

Offline AnnH

• Books for Kids and Teens
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • I love to read and write!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Hi Verla,

I write ebooks, but I was under the impression that since they are self-published, I have to post only in that section.  What sorts of information is allowable on the ebooks board?

Thanks,

Jack

Not all ebooks are self-published. There are small ebook publishers. Those of my books which are only ebooks are published by small ebook pubs.

Offline sandycarl

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Untried dreams are not given the chance to fail.
    • Sandy Carlson (of Michigan)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Verla, this is great. Thank you.

I'd like to ask how others promote their eBooks. (Is that topic allowed? It's not about the craft or making of it, but certainly a problem.)

I did the Kindle 90 day exclusive and got 5 free days with that, but don't know what to do now.

At first I wondered about: 1) the value of giving away my story; and 2) how to let people know about it? But after the 5 free days, there were 1,000 copies of my story in people's hands... er... Kindle-machines, so I was satisfied with that. But now that I've told everyone I know in the entire world, I feel like I'm twiddling my thumbs with how to further promote. So... Ideas?

Oh. I'm also doing a giveaway as a guest blogger next week... Twiddle.

http://www.sandycarlson.com
The Town That Disappeared
Tales of the Lost Schooner
Star Opening
Wildfire

Offline TexasGirl

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
  • Loving the writing life!
    • USA Today bestselling author Deanna Roy
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 04:11 PM »
This is a very big topic. One good book on the subject (and there are scores of bad ones) is Let's Get Visible.
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

Offline bobbichukran

• Poster
  • The stranger, the better
    • Bobbi A. Chukran Author/Illustrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:21 PM »
This is a very big topic. One good book on the subject (and there are scores of bad ones) is Let's Get Visible.

OK, I'm invoking the Third Time rule.  When I hear three different people in three different places recommend a book, then I have to buy it.  I've heard three people recommend Let's Get Visible in just the last few days alone.  thanks, TexasGirl!
bobbi c.
Princess Primrose and the Curse of The Big Sleep
New MG fantasy comedy fairy tale spoof
Read a free chapter at:
http://bobbichukran.com

Offline macdibble

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.macdibble.com
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44 AM »
I have some of my educational children's chapter books published in ABC Reading Eggs which mixes stories with educational activities. Families and schools pay a subscription to access it. It's an enormous collection. Children work themselves through levels, all the time increasing the challenge of the activities and the reading levels. Teachers love Reading Eggs. It allows children to work at their own speed and entertains them while they learn.

The subscription service idea for a group of works with activities is an interesting way to market eBooks. I don't need to market it at all. Marketing is done directly to schools by Blake eLearning.

Because it's subscription, keeping track of how many times each book is accessed, would be really tricky, so the company pays a one-off up front payment for the rights to include my books in the Reading Eggs, instead of adding it to the royalties they pay on the paper books.

Offline Mercedes Ortiz

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Wonderful! Thanks for the board!

Offline writingale

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • Born to write
    • Radhika Meganathan
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 11:18 PM »
Thank you Verla! I've been wondering about it too, but thought self-publishing was the board for ebooks too.... now it's great that there is a dedicated board for ebooks, I have so many questions lol now that I plan to offer my writing courses as ebooks :)

R
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:02 AM by writingale »
12 books in 12 months! Follow my Chapter Book 12x12 journey at www.childrenswriter.in

Offline AnnH

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • I love to read and write!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Just wanted to mention that not all ebooks are self-published. There are many epublishers out there.  While I have self-published two small collections of short stories, my other ebooks are with epublishers.