Author Topic: Large format scanner  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Chris Jones

• Poster
    • Chris Jones - Illustrator
Large format scanner
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Guys,
Does anyone have any tips on where I can find a large format scanner that won't break the bank? I currently use a generic 8.5x11" scanner which works fine, but anything larger costs a fortune. It's kind of a pain scanning art in sections and composting together in photoshop, especially for larger works. Any recommendations? Thanks
I specialize in fun and expressive Children's Illustration!

Offline Lindsey B

• Poster Plus
Re: Large format scanner
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Hey Chris!
What are you lookin' to use this scanner for? 
I was looking for a large format scanner for a while, but if you just need to make digital copies of traditionally drawn or painted art, I've acutally found what works better is a digital camera with great resolution, and good lighting.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:23 PM »
A digital camera plus a copy stand isn't a bad way to go. My 9mp Fuji Finepix took a decent pic of a movie poster which blew up to a 6' print. I didn't even use a stand for that, I just put the poster on the floor, lit it and took the photo standing up.

My wife is also after a large format scanner, but photographing her paintings and sketches does the job for now.

Offline Chris Jones

• Poster
    • Chris Jones - Illustrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:12 PM »
I'd be using the scanner to scan large pages of ink drawings so I can colour them digitally. I don't think that photographing them would give me the line crispness I need. Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I just need a really good camera, a tripod, and some professional lights - but that might just run me the cost of a large scanner..
I specialize in fun and expressive Children's Illustration!

Offline Cynthia Kremsner

• Rock of The Westies
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nevada
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Illustrator/Writer
    • Cynthia Joyce Kremsner
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I've taken digital pictures of my work and the crispness is lost. The finite details, the grit of the paper or board that should show through, etc. Albeit, the professional scans I've had done don't match my works entirely once I take a look. But I can keep the orginals at hand at first look and bring the colors back to replicate the original. When that's done, all the other nuances show through as well . . . something that's lost with a picture.

Have you tried looking for a refurbished scanner? I wouldn't recommend Amazon for that, but a search through Google/Bing/Yahoo might bring something up. I like to look at the reviews on Amazon to judge what would be best. There is a grapic scanner by Epson that comes up with each search. It's pricey. An older model is availbe through some vendors, but when you try to order it, it's not in stock.

Good luck with your search.
Illustrations: My Puppy Gave to Me / Pelican Pub Fall 2014
Blog: http://blog.cynthiajoycekremsner.com/

Offline gimlet

• New Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:53 PM »
We've had the brother Multi-Function scanner/printer for a couple of years. This review is pretty good. It's true, it doesn't print real fast but i have used it as a copier and it seems fine. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330273,00.asp#fbid=tKnN9hO1j_E  It is pretty good with the scans. Up to 1200 dpi which should be sufficient for most art. I may add that it is better with black and white art,(like ink) than it is with light pencil. Check Office Max, they sometimes put it on sale, (under the list price of $300.)
Hope this  helps.
Gim

Offline Jeff Smith

• I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
  • Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • The Boy Who Wouldn't Sit Still!
    • theboywhowouldntsitstill.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 01:43 PM »
Plustek Optic Pro A320 -- Is a good one. scans at 12" x 17" and costs $400. Not sure what breaking the bank is for you. Really expensive large format scanners can run up into the thousands.