Author Topic: Do teen girls ever wear rollers in their hair anymore?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline AnnH

• Books for Kids and Teens
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • I love to read and write!
Do teen girls ever wear rollers in their hair anymore?
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:12 PM »
The expression on the girl's face in the photo (link) and the fact that she's holding a mirror are perfect for a picture I need, but then there's the rollers. I  could have MC trying this out of desperation maybe, but only if it's in the realm of current possibility.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_10724148_beautiful-young-adult-woman-in-hair-roller-looking-in-mirror--close-up-portrait.html

Thanks!

Offline LeslieG

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
  • SCBWI PAL
    • lesliegorin.com
Re: Do teen girls ever where rollers in their hair anymore?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:33 PM »
I've got two girls just out of their teens, and they've never used, or even owned, rollers.  Blow drying, flat ironing, yes.  Rollers, no. 

Offline Anne Marie

• SCBWI Regional Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • SCBWI PAL
  • What is supposed to go here?
    • Anne Marie Pace
Re: Do teen girls ever where rollers in their hair anymore?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35 PM »
The girls at my daughter's boarding school do use curling irons.  And I think a girl could try it out of desperation.  Girls always want the opposite of whatever their hair is.
PIGLOO (Henry Holt, 2016)
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA HOSTS A SLEEPOVER (Disney-Hyperion, 2013)
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA (Disney-Hyperion, 2012)
among others

Offline MysteryRobin

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Re: Do teen girls ever wear rollers in their hair anymore?
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:40 PM »
I think flat irons or even a big barrel curling iron are more teen. Some hair styles do need those kind of rollers, so it's possible. I used rollers as a teen because it's the only thing back then that would straighten (sort of) my hair.
Robin

Offline AnnH

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

Though it's just one thing in the story, this girl wants smooth hair instead of very curly. But I'd have to think up a reason she'd use rollers.  Or maybe I'll just look for a different photo! (even though I do love the expression on her face)   :eyeballs:

Offline J-Bert

• Jenn Bertman
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
    • The Mixed-Up Files of Jennifer Bertman
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:26 PM »
There are velcro rollers that some people use nowadays. That may even be what the model is using in that picture. They don't heat up; you use a hair dryer to "set" them. I don't think they're used for making hair curly, but more for lift and body. (And I've heard people rave over how they work for adding smoothness, but when I tried them in the past the velcro made my hair more frizzy/staticky. I've never been very good at the more advanced hair styling techniques though. Blowing my hair dry and putting it in a ponytail are about all I can pull off. And even my skills with those are questionable on some days.)
BOOK SCAVENGER (Henry Holt, 2015) 
MYSTERY OF THE SEANCE SWAP (Henry Holt, 2016)
BOOK SCAVENGER #2 (Henry Holt, 2017)
http://writerjenn.blogspot.com

Offline LMES

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:12 PM »
We do use rollers in our house for dance competitions. Sometimes the costume requires "cheerleader curls"--and for our dance team, we make those with curlers.

:)

Offline J.Ro

• Poster Plus
  • People talk in my head. Sometimes I listen.
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:14 PM »
They are making hot rollers again and I don't know, per se, a teen who uses them, but I do have a thirty something friend who uses them along with some dehumectant from Sephora to keep the frizz out of her hair in humid Georgia.

I was actually excited to see hot rollers making a comeback!
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Offline AnnH

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49 PM »
J.Ro, LMES, it's good to know rollers still exist in some form or another!

There are velcro rollers that some people use nowadays. That may even be what the model is using in that picture. They don't heat up; you use a hair dryer to "set" them. I don't think they're used for making hair curly, but more for lift and body. (And I've heard people rave over how they work for adding smoothness, but when I tried them in the past the velcro made my hair more frizzy/staticky....)

Ooh, I love this!   :lol2 Something like that in the story would be worth it whether that picture is used or not!.   :biggrin:

Offline Judykidlit59

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 05:57 PM »
I have four daughter between the ages of 18-27. You couldn't walk through our house without tripping over a straightener, blow dryer, or curling iron. My girls used straighteners and blow dryers all the time and curling irons for special hairdos. They have even used hot rollers a couple of times, braided their wet hair in tiny little braids and then took it out in the morning for that Taylor Swift look, or rolled their hair up in rags for even more curl. The curlers in the picture are the big ones that do take some of the curl out of your hair without making it stick straight, but I don't remember my girls ever using them.

I have seen teen models on America's Next Top Model with those kind of curlers in when they were getting ready for a photo shoot and the stylist wanted their hair to be full and bouncy, but not super curly, so I don't think they are completely out of date. As long as your MC doesn't sleep in them the way I used to have to in the days before blow dryers. If she put them in and then blew her hair dry, it would be pretty current.

Hope this helps.

Judy  
Blog-http://yajustgottalaugh.blogspot.com

Offline ChristineSarmel

• Poster Plus
    • Reading, Writing and Random Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Grabbed a quick opinion from the two teen girls at my house... definite thumbs down on the roller idea and on the picture itself unless you were hoping for junior high age readers. But keep in mind two people is a pretty limited opinion!

I asked a little about what made the picture seem junior high to them and they couldn't really say, but they both came away with the impression that the cover would be something a 7th or 8th grader would read. They also wondered if she was supposed to be some sort of teen beauty queen -- toddler and tiaras all grown up.

Offline jojohn

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • Perserverance
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 06:29 PM »
My sister-in-law and niece are Jamaican. They use rollers frequently depending on what they are doing with their hair.

Offline Eric Hammond

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • Eric Hammond Art
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 06:49 PM »
From what I see walking around the mall, half the boys do.

Offline AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 06:58 PM »
I almost had an auto accident a few years ago when I saw a woman walking down the street in rollers under a scarf. Wha... is JFK still in the White House?

Offline AnnH

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Interesting to know there are still rollers in the world!

Grabbed a quick opinion from the two teen girls at my house... definite thumbs down on the roller idea and on the picture itself unless you were hoping for junior high age readers. But keep in mind two people is a pretty limited opinion!

I asked a little about what made the picture seem junior high to them and they couldn't really say, but they both came away with the impression that the cover would be something a 7th or 8th grader would read. They also wondered if she was supposed to be some sort of teen beauty queen -- toddler and tiaras all grown up.

True, it probably would be limiting it to the younger end of the age-range.   Now if it could be photoshopped to replace the rollers with hair....   :grin

Offline Ruth Donnelly

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region missouri
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Readatouille
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:46 PM »
My 18-year-old says, "No. It's all about curling irons."

Offline write2live

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.annettegulati.com
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Both of my daughters use straighteners, both for straightening AND curling their hair (takes some skill). However, they've also both used those pink sponge rollers for dance competitions, put in slightly damp hair, slept overnight and removed for the next day's competition. They do exist!

Offline Cassandra

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41 PM »
The teens who do our local theater often use rollers and hot rollers.

Offline christripp

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
    • Christine Tripp
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 03:29 AM »
Mother of 3 daughters, all grown up and Married now but even back in the 90's, early 2000, not one of them knew what a roller was. Well, they knew their Grandmother used them and that their mom used to when she was a kid but that's it:)
You want to go for the average teen's hair fixes and for a girl with curly (frizzy) hair, a straightener is what they use. A girl with curly hair, wishing for smooth/straight hair, wouldn't opt for curlers that result in, curls:)
As an aside, prior to the "modern" invention of the electric straightening iron, I remember taking turns using an actual cloths iron on our "curly" hair (with occasional disastrous results:)
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Offline thunderingelephants

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 04:10 AM »
Good grief, this is making me feel old.
I got my hair permed in 1989 and used those bendy curlers to keep them in shape.  I've seen a few of my younger friends use something similar, but straighteners seem to be more prevolent these days.

Offline charlie

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 04:47 AM »
We have all the hair accoutrement: curling irons, blow dryers, straightners! we also have the sponge curlers that both of our girls use on occasion.

Curlers actually made it into our home on a lark. We were in the process of moving from Washington to Hawaii and were in transit on Halloween. So we went to Walgreens or CVS, somewhere like that, and looked for costumes.

Since it was Halloween day, everything had been picked through. We managed to scrounge a race car driver costume that fit our son but there were no costumes for our girls. So, we went the old time route and made our own. One daughter became a gift wrapped box. We located a box and made a hole for her head and arm holes then we gift wrapped the box and put a bow on her head. She complained about having to carry the box around, but laughs about it now! For our other daughter,  we bought those drug store house slippers, and sponge curlers. She wore her pajamas and robe and she was set, curlers and all!
The curlers stayed even after Halloween. They are great for getting that 'boingy' hair.

Even though curls from curlers don't hold for long, we all know that all you have to do is sleep on your hair weird and you will have that crazy hair bump that will last all day, no matter what you do to it!
Hold hands and stick together

Offline Jaina

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • Global Moderator
  • SCBWI Member
  • Just keep typing, just keep typing . . .
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 05:09 AM »
If TV hasn't lied to me, pageant girls still use rollers.

TV wouldn't lie to me . . . right?

Offline scribble girl

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
  • SCBWI PAL
    • HelenJameson/Scribble Girl
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 05:52 AM »
hmm...I hadn't thought about this....we did use hot rollers and the curly noodle things, but the flat iron has taken over!  Both old "apparati for heightened hair response" are gathering dust on the top bathroom shelf.  Rollers for wet hair? Can you even buy a bonnet hair dryer these days?

Offline AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 08:11 AM »
JudyKidLit59's mention of rag curlers was even more startling. I didn't think anyone was still alive who knew about those! Next thing you know, someone will be mentioning pincurls, bobby pins, and Spoolies.

Offline AnnH

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 08:54 AM »
By straightener, is it a straightening lotion sort of thing? It's funny the way hair fashions change as much as clothes!  I'm not overly fond of some of the super straight (flat) hairstyles. Looks okay on some, but not a good look for all. I didn't like Lindsay Lohen's hair when I saw her interview on TV yesterday, but opinions may vary.

Offline Jan Fields

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
  • I came, I saw, I wrote it down.
    • Jan Fields
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 08:55 AM »
When my daughter suddenly wanted curls one day, I cut some stray fabric into strips and rolled her hair on it (since we didn't have any curlers in the house) and she slept on it. My daughter thought it was magic. Since she has thick hair (like me) -- she was a bit of a lion the next day. BIG BIG hair. But since our hair is naturally straight it calmed down into really nice wavy curls in time for the event.

I wouldn't have been above trying pincurls, but didn't have enough bobby pins so we went with rags.
ADVENTURES IN EXTREME READING [ABDO, 2013]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO, September 2014]

Offline MysteryRobin

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09 AM »
Bobby pins are making a comeback! The kids are doing lots of things with braids and updos and you have to have a lot of bobby pins to pull it off.
I've heard of pincurls, too. But usually they do curls with socks (kinda like rag curls) or with headbands (you can loop the hair around a cotton headband to make curls for the next day). I think there's some effort to stay away from using heat for curls all the time so the hair doesn't get damaged. Anyway - this is what I"m seeing. I've had to stock up on those clear plastic elastics, bobby pins, a flat iron, and they love those spin pins, too...
Robin

Offline LeslieG

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
  • SCBWI PAL
    • lesliegorin.com
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 12:20 PM »
A girl with curly hair, wishing for smooth/straight hair, wouldn't opt for curlers that result in, curls:)
As an aside, prior to the "modern" invention of the electric straightening iron, I remember taking turns using an actual cloths iron on our "curly" hair (with occasional disastrous results:)

Fwiw, when I was a wee lass, we actually did use curlers to smooth our tight curls--but they were HUGE!  Jumbo curlers, I think they were called, and bigger than ones on the girl in the original picture on this thread.  But they worked.  My sister and I also took turns ironing each other's hair on an ironing board, covering the hair with a towel so we didn't fry it.  Our over-the-counter straightener of choice was called "Curl Free," and I think it's still on the market.  That worked, too--unless your hair got wet, in which case it stunk to high heaven.  (Like we needed more things to embarrass us at that age... :wacko)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:35 PM by LeslieG »

Offline ChristineSarmel

• Poster Plus
    • Reading, Writing and Random Thoughts
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 12:49 PM »
By straightener, is it a straightening lotion sort of thing?

Straighteners are something you plug in, similar to a curling iron, but instead of curl you get super straight. They get really hot, but at least they smell better than a perm!

m_stiefvater

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 01:31 PM »
I want to jump in here and say that, in this case, it really doesn't matter if most or any girls are using rollers these days. What matters is -- is your CHARACTER using them? It's really easy to get into our heads that in order for our characters to be believable, they have to be normal/ like everyone else/ not weird. But it's really a matter of selling it. I was a weird teen, and I'm sure everyone on this board was too. Someone could post "do teen girls play the bagpipes?" and most people would laugh and say no -- but I was a competition bagpiper in my teens. Or . . "do teens take time out of their life to practice foreign languages with strangers?" The answer to that is probably no, too, but I have a friend who did this every week in her teens.

It doesn't need to be normal. Just normal for your teen. The really crucial thing is knowing how to make other characters react to her foibles.