Author Topic: The Time Stamp  (Read 1038 times)

Offline macdibble

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.macdibble.com
The Time Stamp
« on: March 30, 2012, 05:12 AM »
When you make the time adjustment in your profile, the base starting time is *NOT* GMT, it's something else... EST or PST or one of those US times. Don't go putting in your normal +something. You have to guess.

Took me years to work that out, it did... YEARS!   :EmoticonCuckooClock:

Offline olmue

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
    • Der Buchwald
Re: The Time Stamp
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:23 AM »
Yeah. I've run into that myself, Macdibble. And it seems the new board upgrade yesterday cancelled out my timestamp settings. If anyone is looking to reset to their local time, go to your profile and then into Look and Layout Preferences (under Modify Profile). The Time Offset feature doesn't give all those confusing PST EST GMT things--instead, it gives you O and it lets you set it to a positive or negative number from that central point. If you don't know what zone it's counting off of, click on Auto Detect, and it will set it for you. (Macdibble's right--it's NOT GMT.)

Offline macdibble

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.macdibble.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:00 PM »
GMT would be the least confusing thing. It's the one we're all used to calculating from.

In fact, as we become more global in our thinking I can't see why we wouldn't just have one time globally and it would be GMT.

Yes, downunder we'd start work in the morning at 0700 and get off at 1500 in the evening, and we'd have to drop words like noon, because high noon would be 10pm, but think of the ways companies and people would be able to interact with each other. We'd no longer be a day ahead all the time. If someone says phone me at 0800 on the 23rd, you'd know when that is.

Okay, maybe there are a few flaws in my reasoning...   :shrug:

Offline MysteryRobin

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:26 PM »
Instead of saying, "What time is it there?" We'd be asking, "Wait, is 0800 morning for you? Or is it evening, I can't remember..."  :grin
Robin

Offline macdibble

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
    • www.macdibble.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:15 AM »
... And there is the flaw in my reasoning...    :shame