SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Digital Painting

Discussion started on

OddBerryCreations

Thanks so much for this thread and for all of you wonderful people for posting helpful links. Digital painting has always been intimidating to me but as a college student, EVERYTHING is still a little intimidating. I'm still trying but it's very helpful to have as many options as possible. Woohooo!! More stuff to do!! 

:yay
#31 - December 20, 2012, 10:17 AM

Good luck OddBerry.  This isn't something I usually do, I'm trying to leverage my slight drawing talent and what I know from working in visual effects to help my painting skills.  I think practice is a huge part of art, that and not being afraid to make mistakes.  Being prolific in your mistakes is the only way to get better.  I think the best advice is work fast, work on new things.

Mike
#32 - December 21, 2012, 09:13 PM

Writer & illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I doodle with Artrage on the iPad as well, though my go-to iPad art app is Sketchbook Pro.

I used to use Corel Painter but switched to Photoshop when S&S gave me the book contract to illustrate I'M BORED because Painter only works in RGB color space, and S&S needed CMYK. When I experimenting with converting Painter RGB -> CMYK, I ran into color conversion problems. I'm sure an expert could get it right, but I didn't want to take the chance that I'd do all my art in Painter and then not be able to get the colors right during conversion.

Debbie
#33 - December 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
URL: DebbieOhi.com. 2014: illus in NAKED! by Michael Ian Black (S&S BFYR), Judy Blume MG & chapter books (Atheneum). More: http://DebbieOhi.com/books

I still like Artrage better than sketchbook pro, but currently I'm kind of into the messy natural media look.  I just updated my blog with a bunch of my own doodles using the ipad.  http://www.cindercast.com
#34 - December 29, 2012, 08:48 PM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
I use Illustrator and Photoshop but I am glad you posted here because I want to check out artrage now. I liked your artrage illustrations on your site. Well done.
#35 - January 22, 2013, 04:00 PM

I use Illustrator and Photoshop but I am glad you posted here because I want to check out artrage now. I liked your artrage illustrations on your site. Well done.

Thanks, I'm still pretty green with it but I really like how free-form it feels compared to Photoshop.  Nice and messy.
#36 - January 24, 2013, 08:34 PM

I'm working on my second digital painting in Photoshop and what I found really helpful when I started was this apple painting tutorial from animator/illustrator Dice Tsutsumi: http://www.simplestroke.com/wp/?page_id=11

I have found in following his technique, I'm much bolder with dark colors in my digital paintings then in traditional media. I don't have any to show yet, since I'm still making minor tweaks to one piece and i'm not even halfway through the other.
#37 - March 07, 2013, 05:53 PM

Iceartist

Quick question--does artrage give you a high res (print useable) file? Anything I have in terms of sketching/painting on my ipad is just 72 dpi. Thanks!
#38 - March 07, 2013, 06:39 PM

Quick question--does artrage give you a high res (print useable) file? Anything I have in terms of sketching/painting on my ipad is just 72 dpi. Thanks!

You can set the resolution of your canvas as high as you want.   A cool feature of the ipad app is to set it to record strokes.  Then open the file on the desktop and "repaint" it in hirez by replaying the strokes on a higher resolution canvas.  Then you can add detail work.
#39 - March 11, 2013, 07:59 PM

Rungen

I've been incredibly happy with Corel Painter 12. Started using it 5 months ago. It seems, to me, the most "traditional art technique." Especially for pencils, oils, watercolors. And the tracking window is such a huge convenience.
A friend showed my work to someone the other day, who then ran out to buy a wacom and corel, so I guess she liked what the program could do, haha.
I tend to find Photoshop works great for graphics and digital manipulation, but it's not as intuitive for drawing.
Never tried Artrage, though.

www.joeyelkins.com
#40 - March 12, 2013, 12:38 PM

I'm starting to get a decent feel for doing quick sketches with the oils in art rage.  I'm really likeing how ou can build up a painting with blocked in color and refine it with the pallet scraper.

Check out the first page of my blog www.cindercast.com to check it out.  I think I'm at a level with it now that I can move onto finished work for my book, assuming I ever finish editing it...

Mike 
#41 - April 02, 2013, 10:09 AM

Some new stuff on my blog regarding digital painting.

http://www.cindercast.com/

I think I'm finally coming to grips with oil painting in Art Rage.  The last couple of pieces reflect the style I'm leaning towards for my book.  I still haven't started any of the real art pieces as I'm still trying to finish my revisions to the text...

I've been sketching a rough plan and then putting that on a separate layer, the rest of them are almost single layer paintings which is kinda nice, overall its less 'clean' looking and I think it not an entirely bad thing to see the 'medium' a little. The edges of things mushed together.
#42 - July 15, 2013, 12:49 AM

I've been having a great time playing with light and color lately.  I really like my digital paint experiments when I try and stick to a limited pallet.

I tried to keep to just a bright warm tone and a deep blue, where they collide came out to a deep green, overall I'm happy with this approach as I feel it forced me create a more interesting lighting and mood.

http://www.cindercast.com/2013/07/color-and-light-quick-painting.html

I've been posting these as I go to my twitter @mikeblackbourn
#43 - July 17, 2013, 10:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
 :wow great thread! Lots of information! Thanks all for sharing info!
#45 - October 07, 2013, 09:51 AM

:wow great thread! Lots of information! Thanks all for sharing info!

No problem.  Glad its been helpful!

Note: This post was modified to remove an image that was too big for the board.
#46 - October 24, 2013, 08:35 PM
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:07 PM by Verla Kay »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Great thread! I'm not an illustrator but I've been practicing illustrating my own stories for fun. I've been drawing in pencil or ink and painting in Photosho -- Artrage looks great but I don't usually have access to my husband's iPad. I wish they had a version for Android so I could use my Kindle Fire! (Or a I wish I had an iPad!)
#47 - October 25, 2013, 05:04 AM
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:06 AM by Kell »
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Great thread! I'm not an illustrator but I've been practicing illustrating my own stories for fun. I've been drawing in pencil or ink and painting in Photosho -- Artrage looks great but I don't usually have access to my husband's iPad. I wish they had a version for Android so I could use my Kindle Fire! (Or a I wish I had an iPad!)

The ipad version is good but you get so much better of a result using a tablet and a full computer!

#48 - October 25, 2013, 10:22 PM
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:17 PM by Verla Kay »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
These are great Michael! I like these last two, nice silhouettes.

Has anyone used Mischief? Sounds like it's pretty new. I haven't tried it, but I'm curious: it boasts pixel-based drawing ability with the infinite scaling ability of vector, which sounds great for printing. http://www.madewithmischief.com
#49 - October 25, 2013, 10:31 PM

These are great Michael! I like these last two, nice silhouettes.

Has anyone used Mischief? Sounds like it's pretty new. I haven't tried it, but I'm curious: it boasts pixel-based drawing ability with the infinite scaling ability of vector, which sounds great for printing. http://www.madewithmischief.com

Mischief looks very interesting. It seems to stay away from any real 'smudging' but for scalable paint and pen tools it looks very cool!

#50 - November 03, 2013, 10:12 PM
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:17 PM by Verla Kay »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Great information, inspiring pictures! Thank you for sharing!
#51 - November 07, 2013, 06:13 PM

Great information, inspiring pictures! Thank you for sharing!

I think I'm finally happy with this look. A combination of pencils, ink, and watercolor.

Smaller image:
#52 - November 13, 2013, 11:26 PM
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:00 PM by MichaelBlackbourn »

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
I concur. The effect you got with the last rendering is my favorite. Very nice.
#53 - November 14, 2013, 06:30 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com
Blog: www.brainrainblog.com

I concur. The effect you got with the last rendering is my favorite. Very nice.

Thanks. It's the look I'm going to use.

Smaller Image:
#54 - November 30, 2013, 11:57 PM
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:46 PM by MichaelBlackbourn »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Michael, is there an online site to practice the skills? I own a PC and not sure which one to pick one out to start learning the techniques. Or should I still do with my hand and scan and touch up the images. Sorry, just too many choices.  :thankyou
#55 - December 01, 2013, 10:17 PM

Illustrator + Cartoonist
New Poster
Hey Iyerani - you can download the demos to try most of these programs for 30 days.

Artrage demo is here :  http://www.artrage.com/demos/
and Painter is here : http://www.corel.com/corel/category.jsp?cat=cat4130083&rootCat=cat3610091&storeKey=us&languageCode=en

I also recommend Manga Studio, which is my current favorite, the newest version has a great paintbrush engine with really nice blending : http://manga.smithmicro.com/trial.html
#56 - December 04, 2013, 01:13 PM

The start to a new illustration:

Big one here:
www.cindercast.com
#57 - December 20, 2013, 11:57 PM

Most people that use Photoshop and Corel Painter.

You should check out conceptart.org and cghub.com

Look around the community and get tips.

http://www.pascalcampion.com/
Pascal Campion does all of his stuff in Adobe Flash.
The flash and vector programs are nice because the usually adjust the stroke to have a cleaner line.

In the end it doesn't matter what you are using. Just focus on getting your ideas across.
#58 - December 21, 2013, 12:52 AM

Members: