Author Topic: Graphic tablets  (Read 2725 times)

Offline TexasGirl

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
  • Loving the writing life!
    • USA Today bestselling author Deanna Roy
Re: Graphic tablets
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 07:57 PM »
I'm willing to bet a whole lotta moolah that it's a Windows problem.

Just don't tell 'em I said it.  :invisible
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

Offline Debbie Ridpath Ohi

• Writer & illustrator
  • Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Twitter: @inkyelbows
    • Inkygirl: Kidlit/YA Writers & Illustrators
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 04:37 PM »
I use a Wacom Intuos 5 (med size -- larger wouldn't easier fit on my desk space) and love it! Also have a smaller version for when I go travelling.

Debbie
URL: DebbieOhi.com. 2014: illus in NAKED! by Michael Ian Black (S&S BFYR), Judy Blume MG & chapter books (Atheneum). More: http://DebbieOhi.com/books

Offline Aldersmith

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 06:35 PM »
 :dancer Got my new tablet today! I have soooooo much to learn, but I love it! Must be a newer version because there is no mouse with it. It's all by touch and pen.  :yeah

Offline christripp

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
    • Christine Tripp
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 02:47 AM »
Addicted to my Cintiq. I tried a tablet years ago but never was able to get used to drawing on one surface, having to look up at another to see the line. Old dog, new tricks ya know. Being able to draw ON the monitor surface in exactly the same way as pencil to paper is wonderful! Having ps on the monitor while your drawing is wonderful! Pricy but well worth it in my case.
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Offline TanjaW

• Illustrator
  • Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Illustrator
    • My Website
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Oooh, I am glad someone brought up the problem with the driver, as it's a big one. About every 10 reboots, I get the message "The tablet driver is not running."
I used to have to do an internet search for the driver, download it again, install it again, and was SO ANNOYED.

I "lose" my Intuos driver every time I use my latest external harddrive for backup -- never had that problem before, PC or Mac.  My quick fix: since I use the default settings on my tablet, I just delete the Intuos preferences in the Utility, and waa-lah, it's suddenly reconnected.
:)

I've been working with Wacom tablets since the early/mid nineties for both PC and Mac computers, and I love 'em.  I've worked with a Cintiq on a trial basis before, and while nice, they're too expensive for my budget.  I'll stick with my Wacom.

Offline Eric Hammond

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • Eric Hammond Art
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I use a PC. I've not had a problem with it in months. I keep a driver on the desktop also.

Offline MichaelBlackbourn

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • Cindercast - the path from idea to illustrated story
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 08:35 PM »
:dancer Got my new tablet today! I have soooooo much to learn, but I love it! Must be a newer version because there is no mouse with it. It's all by touch and pen.  :yeah

It might be a bamboo, all the intuos ones come with a mouse I think.

Offline pjwasek

• Poster
  • I love kids' books!
    • My portfolio
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 03:08 AM »
I have tried many times using the graphic tablet, but i'm not able to look at the monitor and draw something on the tablet simultaneously. I thought about buying cintiq - however this tablet seems to be to expensive to buy it for testing. I have found the home made lcd tablet:

http://www.bongofish.co.uk/wacom/wacom_pt1.html

I think about constructing it.

Offline Jenn Reese

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
  • writer, martial artist, geek
    • www.jennreese.com
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Has anyone used an iPad or Android Tablet and the Photoshop app to create drawings?

I'm a beginning artist and I've been struggling with my bamboo for a while. I thought maybe a tablet and drawing program might be a cheaper alternative to a Cintiq. I realize they aren't pressure-sensitive, but I mostly want to get sketches and outlines into Photoshop so I can manipulate them.
Above World, 2/2012, Candlewick
Mirage (Book 2), 3/2013
Horizon (Book 3), 4/2014

Offline Agile Pig

• Poster
  • I love kids' books!
    • Agile Pig Art
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 02:13 PM »
I have a small Wacom Bamboo tablet that I bought a few years ago off of Amazon. It works great and only cost around $70. Definitely worth the money : )

Offline SGRobinson

• New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 04:49 PM »
I use the iPad to draw, not with the photoshop app but with other apps like Procreate, Brushes, Sketchbook Pro, Artrage... There are many good ones. I still like my Wacom better and send my iPad paintings to my computer so I can finish them up in Painter and Photoshop, but you can do a pretty good job right on the iPad. You can even save layered psd files in some of the programs and export them to drop box or email.
www.susanrobinsonart.com
robinsonillustration.com

Offline Jenn Reese

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
  • writer, martial artist, geek
    • www.jennreese.com
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Thanks, Susan -- that's exactly the sort of thing I wanted to know!

Jenn
Above World, 2/2012, Candlewick
Mirage (Book 2), 3/2013
Horizon (Book 3), 4/2014

Offline christripp

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
    • Christine Tripp
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 03:04 AM »
Real coincidence. I met for coffee with a writer friend just this past Wednesday. She pulled out her new Samsung Galaxy Note phone. (to add to some notes she had made at work) I commented on it re: looks like it would be great to sketch on, seeing as how fluid the pen was. She was saying her partner uses it to sketch on, she had the sketchbook pro app on it.
I tried it out and OMG,  so FAR superior to using my ipad and jot pro stylus that there is just no comparison. In fact, I hate to admit it but, it is exactly the same feel as working on the cintiq, and there is NO lag time, none, not like there is on the Ipad. I am an Apple FANatic thru and thru but, this is a fantastic sketching tool! It is, however, a small surface (though larger then the iphone certainly) and it would be crazy to try and do a whole Illustration on it, the scrolling would drive one mad. But, if an Illustrator were considering a new phone, this might be a great idea for portable sketching.

It can't replace the cintiq of course for full art (nothing can:), but it's pretty darn cool!

(as an Apple share holder I can NOT believe I am saying buy anything other then an Iphone:)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:07 AM by christripp »

Offline desertfoxx

• Poster Plus
  • Do you like green eggs and ham?
    • Portfolio site
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 11:17 PM »
For starters..the medium size wacom tablets are a must..because as newbies you need the extra real estate to get your hands used to using the pen..but even seasoned users prefer the medium sized and higher sizes..small ones are okay but only for seasoned users who're more concerned with space of their work area rather than drawing in the tablet.

For me..it's always Wacom or nothing else..the Bamboo series only have half the sensitivity of the Intous series. Im using a small intous 4  and the only regret is i didn't buy the medium sized ones..i was so giddy at getting one even if my budget was a bit short so ended up buying the small one.

Offline nightengail

• Poster
  • I draw cute things.
    • Nightengail Art
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32 PM »
I agree with Stephanie about the tablet size. I tried one with a teeny tiny work area years ago and hated it, but the one i have now is large enough that I feel comfortable working on it and have been using it more regularly for recent projects. I may even give up my mouse since i currently have way too many things on my desktop surface.

Offline cbahr

• Poster
  • Illustrator
    • Ceci Bahr
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 12:50 AM »
I've been using the Wacom Intuos 4 Medium size and absolutely l-o-v-e it!! I would definitely recommend this for anyone illustrating who doesn't have a budget for Cintiq! I also highly recommend getting a protective sheet for it (be sure to get the proper size) as it will save your tablet from scratches and make your pen tips last longer. Prior to digital art I was used to painting on large sized canvases so I knew I wanted to go large but couldn't fit the large size in my budget so I went with the Medium size and it turned out to be just fine. I use it with the Mac OS X 10.6 and never had any problems with connections. I started out as a "GIMP"er and was thrilled to find out Photoshop Elements 10 came with my Wacom tablet - can do all the same stuff as with GIMP but it's just a lot easier to use everything...the icing on the cake! BTW I do use both the mouse and the pen as I get different results with each when I "paint" digitally...it's sooo much fun and it's great to have pixels as another paint medium. :pickle

Offline christripp

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
    • Christine Tripp
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 02:54 AM »
cbahr, does Elements allow for CMYK option? I think years ago that was the reason I had to bit the bullet and put out almost $1000 Canadian for PS. (and I had to do it all over again when I switched to Mac from PC:(

Speaking of the stylus/pen nibs.... when DO these things wear out? I'm on only the second nib of 10 that come with the Cintiq. If I were to average work time, it's about 3 hours a day, over 600 days . And that one time I did change that first nib out, I don't think the problem wasn't the nib I was getting a very skipping washed out line for black outlining (instead of a solid line I was looking for) so assumed it was time for a new nib. After I changed it, I noticed I was still using "mixer brush" instead of the more solid "brush". (but it was already in the garbage:(

Offline cbahr

• Poster
  • Illustrator
    • Ceci Bahr
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 01:00 AM »
Christripp, sorry for the delay in responding just found it today - the answer to your question is no, Elements does not allow for CMYK option and I'm sorry I failed to mention that, however, for those that cannot yet afford the PS CS4 or 5 there is a way around it by saving your work opening it into GIMP (free download and must also get the plug in also) and under Print, choosing the option for Gutenprint, click on the "output" tab & that is where you can make all of your colour adjustments for printing in CMYK. (Fair warning: this is a process, I have simplified here and am no pro at this - my son helped me set mine up)
About the nibs, I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last, I haven't had to replace mine yet.  I use my tablet all day long (had it several months now) and the surface is still smooth as glass with the protective sheet (but I do change between mouse and pen stylus depending on the work).
Too bad about that first nib! I know what you mean because I almost did the same thing!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:44 AM by cbahr »

Offline Rungen

• Poster Plus
  • Writer and Illustrator
    • Joey Elkins
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 03:57 PM »
I got the Intuos 4 Large (I wanted a medium, but it wasn't available online anymore since the 5 had just come out). It's a huge size, but it's great if you draw from the elbow or shoulder. It's too unwieldy for travel, though.
If I had to to it again, I'd go with a medium.

I use Corel Painter 12 on a mac, and have never had a problem with drivers or anything.

Offline pjwasek

• Poster
  • I love kids' books!
    • My portfolio
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2013, 05:53 AM »
Has anyone use this kind of stylus?

http://adonit.net/jot/touch/

I have found this one when i was searching internet. It is pressure sensitive  and seems to be very useful.

Offline pjwasek

• Poster
  • I love kids' books!
    • My portfolio
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 01:11 AM »
I see that nobody has used it. I bought it and have prepared few illustrations. The stylus is very handy tool.
I recommend the book "Ipad for artists" by Dani Jones who is the illustrator too. I never could get used to the Intuos tablet, but it think i will use ipad frequently.

Offline christripp

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
    • Christine Tripp
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2013, 03:37 AM »
Sorry I didn't come back and check earlier. I did buy the "Jot Pro" just over a year ago to try out on my iPad (sketchbook Pro app) It was the better of the 4 that I was able to test at my local Apple computer place (not an Apple Store) But... it wasn't perfect and I think if I hadn't been using a Cintiq daily, I may have been less frustrated with the lags and with the lack of sensitivity. I was perhaps expecting too much. Crazy how blasé we can get with tech when only 20 years none of this existed:)
Now, I would love to hear if this Jot Touch you bought is more sensitive the the Pro. A thing that drove me crazy with the pro for was, if I wanted to just do a tiny dot for a characters eyes say, I couldn't. It would not make a dot (one tap) though it would make a "circle" but larger then I wanted.

Offline Jerry

• Poster Plus
  • Amazing Activity Interactive eBook - Sping '13
    • Motion City
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 06:04 PM »
At last weeks Adobe MAX convention Adobe showed off their first hardware device: a pen.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/05/06/adobe-announces-experimental-hardware-initiative-dubbed-project-mighty-a-cloud-based-pen/

The really cool thing was when they slid images from the desktop and onto the tablet for some hand-held painting work. Of course no announcement of a ship date yet.