Author Topic: Kindle vs Nook vs whatever else is out there  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • Practice. Pray. Persist. PATIENCE
    • Reading, Writing, Ruminating
Kindle vs Nook vs whatever else is out there
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:08 AM »
I never thought I'd be posting in this section, but we are seriously thinking about getting a small device for our son (who will be turning 14). He prefers books, and so I doubt this would be his main book-reading device, but he does like reading the news about technology, sports, music, and games. He says he would use it to text to his friends, and we would allow him to have his own email acct. Rigth now he uses ours to communicate with family.

We have always restricted TV and computer use at home, mostly because we want our kids to do other things, and I think they have developed excellent habits.

If we do get a device (we're on the fence) I'd like to get something appropriate with some parental controls (like we do on our family computer -- automatic blocking of questionable sites -- you won't believe what images came up when my daughter was doing a book report on Aphrodite ... yup).

Okay, with all that as background info, what are your opinions? We've had the chance to handle a Nook but not a Kindle fire. What features do your like for yourself and your children? What features don't you like? Was it worth it? Did it affect the way you deal with people (by this I mean, you would prefer to be online more than have real life-interactions)? And anything else you'd like to add. I'm sure I've not thought of all kinds of things re. these devices.

Thanks so much for your help.
Vijaya

TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com (current) www.vijayabodach.com (archived)
Author of 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Offline 217mom

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
  • SCBWI PAL
  • "Keep the child in view"- Charles Dickens
    • My Website
Re: Kindle vs Nook vs whatever else is out there
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:42 AM »
 :nothing
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing August 2012

THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com

Offline cindybb

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Hi Vijaya -

From reading your post, it sounds like we have similar philosophies regarding tech-time.  I have 4 kids, ages 15, 13, 11 and 9.  All of them have limits on the amount of screen time allowed, and all  personal devices are kept in the kitchen every night.

We purchased a family desktop computer that is in the dining room - very easy to monitor.  If the kids wanted anything else, they had to save for it.  Even then, they know that it can be taken away if the rules aren't followed - and each kid has had from 1 day to 1 week without their personal gadget.

Here is the run-down of what each kid has.
15 year old girl - pay as you go cell phone (NOT a smart phone) and an I touch.
13 year old boy - IPad (had a cell phone but didn't add more minutes a LONG time ago.) He had an ITouch, and lost it. He read some books on it, but hasn't on his IPad.
11 year old boy - Nintendo 3DS - has ability to communicate with other players. When he really wants more screen time (he gets 1 hour a day), he bikes to the library.  I figure that's a good compromise - he is outside, getting activity to get there and back.
9 year old girl - I Touch.

They are all BIG readers - almost exclusively print books.

I don't have a cell phone, do have a lap top, and have tried a NOOK, but just didn't like it. 

I don't know if that helps much, but it may give you other ideas.

Good luck.

Cindy

Offline AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Try doing a search for "parental controls [insert device name]" because I'm not sure the ereaders have parental controls. Mine doesn't.

Danyelle

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Try doing a search for "parental controls [insert device name]" because I'm not sure the ereaders have parental controls. Mine doesn't.

I know the iPad has some. You can lock out the internet and downloading/deleting apps, but I don't know that it has in depth parental controls.

From what I've heard, so I could be wrong, neither the Nook nor the Kindle have such controls. (There was a bit of a kerfuffle over this earlier last year.) I have a Kindle Fire, and haven't seen anything resembling parental controls.

I would definitely go with AnneB's suggestion to google this.

Offline Rachel

• Poster Plus
    • grinti.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:33 AM »
I don't know of a tablet with built-in browser filtering. When they say they have parental controls, most of these devices mean they let you do things like: turn off web browsing entirely, limit hours of use per day (or hours of watching videos vs. reading), and so on. They don't come with controls that let you filter content from the internet, it's either no web browsing at all or regular unfiltered browsing. You can read a little more about that here:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2015665/parental-controls-face-off.html

There are third-party apps that you can get that limit browsing, but some you have to pay for, and they all work differently. I don't really know anything about those because I don't use them. Since this is important to you, you'll want to make sure there are decent and affordable apps available for whatever device you're leaning toward. Maybe someone else will be able to chime in.

As far as the devices themselves, if his main use will be reading, light browsing of news sites and so on, videos, and occasional email, any of them will be fine.

Nook HD -- has a really nice screen, light and easy to hold, seemed to work pretty smoothly when I tried it for a few minutes. You do need to register it with bn.com and have a valid credit card on file, even if you are just downloading free books and apps. Access to Barnes and Noble store. Has the fewest apps by far, so even though it has parental controls, it may or may not have a browser filtering app.

Kindle Fire -- pretty similar to Nook HD. Your books will mostly come from Amazon. I know people who own these and are happy with them, but I've never used one beyond helping library patrons set them up to check out ebooks (which you can do on any of these tablets as long as your local library system is set up for that). I won't get one because I don't want my reader tied in with Amazon.

iPad mini -- More expensive than either, not set up to be a dedicated reader, but can get books through both Kindle app and BN.com reader. My mom has one, but she doesn't use it for reading -- mostly email and games, since she has an e-ink reader for reading. So for her it's a way to get online when their family computer is in use. As far as parental controls, apparently you can disable the Safari browser and download a filtered browser.

Various android tablets like the Google Nexus and Galaxy Tab -- Like the iPad, they're not set up to be dedicated readers, and they have access to the android app store instead of apple. They're much less locked down than either the Nook or Kindle, so that may not be what you want.
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Offline HaroldU

• Editor
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
    • The Purple Crayon
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:52 AM »
I would be sure to check out the iPad mini if I were you. Light enough to be a decent ebook reader (which the iPad is not), but lets you do a lot of other stuff too.
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 01:09 PM »
Thanks so much for your input. I will definitely look into what sorts of parental control apps are available, though taking the thing away will be the biggest deterrent.

We're also debating getting another desktop and that will nix the smaller device. However, my son has saved enough money and is definitely desirous of his own personal device. Interestingly, he doesn't want a laptop, which I think would be the most useful, given he'll be starting high school in the fall. Right now, he is more interested in entertainment/media-consumption, and we want to limit it.

Kindle Fire --  I won't get one because I don't want my reader tied in with Amazon.

Curious/confused -- what is wrong with it being tied to Amazon? Nook is tied to B&N ...

Vijaya

Offline Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • Charles Bewitched: out now!
    • www.marissadoyle.com
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 01:49 PM »
I lurrrrrrve my Nooks--I have a Simple Touch, which I gave to my husband when I bought myself a Nook Tablet (great for reading and some internet browsing--I can check in here and look at email on it...and I just bought the HD+, which I plan on using for both reading and for writing when on the road (am purchasing a portable keyboard for it).  The HD+ is amazingly light--it blew me away--and the screen is just lovely.  I'm not a big app user, so that's not an issue for me.
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Offline MysteryRobin

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 04:46 PM »
My 12 year old has had a kindle for a year and loves it. I love that I can send it to school with her on read-in days and know she won't run out of books. ;) it's tied to my amazon account, so she can't buy books on her own. She's trustworthy, though, so I don't worry too much about it.
Robin

Offline Joni

• Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • Plunge!
    • Joni's Imagination Zone
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Curious/confused -- what is wrong with it being tied to Amazon? Nook is tied to B&N ...

V, you're so innocent. :) You *do* know that there is a long history in this business of anti-Amazon sentiment (and in some cases, all-out war) from <ticks off on fingers> independent booksellers, their supporters, chain brick & mortar booksellers, publishers, agents, the Author's Guild, the PMA, Apple, Smashwords, all other e-book distributors and sellers... right? And authors and, to some degree, readers are in a difficult place of having to walk the DMZ between them.

The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Yup, I'm innocent, but not for long. Thanks for pointing this out. And it's a perfectly valid reason not to get one device or another.

Mystery and others with children, it is nice knowing that the devices haven't had a detrimental effect.
Vijaya

Offline Rachel

• Poster Plus
    • grinti.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:49 PM »

Vijaya
What Joni said! :yup I just prefer my money to go to BN when I buy ebooks. The Nook also uses epub format, which is more open than Amazon's proprietary .mobi format.

I will say Amazon has made library lending easier than BN, though. Teaching patrons to check out books tends to be a lot easier when they have a Kindle or are using the Kindle app on the iPad because they don't have to make an Adobe account and install a separate program at home on their computers.

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Thanks, Rachel.

Offline H. Pinski

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16 PM »
I keep forgetting to post, Vijaya!  :slaphead: We got our little guy (nine) the Google Nexus 7 for his birthday. He also prefers his books, so he uses it mainly for gaming (keeps him off the house computer) and apps. I did extensive research when we bought it--we had been considering the Kindle Fire, but it was before the latest version came out and the reviews on the Nexus were that is was much better for gaming and internet connectivity. We haven't had to deal with parental controls yet, since he uses it primarily for Mine Craft. I LOVE the device, but the downside are the Google Play store, which I think is pretty awful, and there's no flash on the device. Great machine for the price, though.
BORISLAV THE TERRIBLE (kid's comedy pilot) is on public submission at Amazon Studios. Feedback is welcome!

http://studios.amazon.com/projects/48147

Offline Bobi Martin

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Writers open the world to readers.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Sounds like you've got lots of opinions to work with. I chose the Nook both to support an actual book store you can walk into and because as a member of the Author's Guild I didn't want to support Amazon in any way.  All that aside, if your son wants to be able to text, you may want to look at tablets as opposed to e-readers. You might private message Verla about the tablet she has; it's pretty cool!
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com

What Are Weather Fronts? (2015)
The Muscles in Your Body (2015)
Kidding Around San Francisco

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 05:07 AM »
Hilary, ah, interesting -- my son said something about superior games on Nexus (he reads a lot of the technology articles and I'm making him do a pro-con against each device he mentions -- he'll need a spreadsheet pretty soon).

Bobi, I've not thought much about tablets, but I assume you can also read books on them, right? If we do get a device, we have to be able to download books -- this kid EATS them. I will ask Verla :)

Thanks for all the different options.
Vijaya

Offline Benjamin Martin

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • Author of the Samurai Awakening series
    • Benjamin Martin's Author Site
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 07:40 AM »
Not to go all pro-amazon.. but if your major concern is parental controls and limiting gaming/internet then the kindle fire might be the best route.  I believe they have a setting called "free time" that turns it into a timed safe zone for kids to use.  I don't have one, and haven't tried one yet,,, though I do love my kindle (I live in Japan, so its the intl choice).

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04 AM »
We're leaning towards Kindle Fire, so this is nice to know about "free time," Benjamin. I've been coveting the regular kindle (b/w) but I'm a homebody and don't need one. Library and bookstores are very accessible.
Thank you, V.

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 02:00 PM »
I have a nook, because at the time there were no android tablets affordable.  Personally, after after having my nook, which I enjoy and use when I travel and at times when I am at home.  (I prefer real books)  If at the time android tablets had been affordable, or even an mini IPad, I probably would have gone that way.

You can download nook reader on any tablet or computer and tablets offer a wider ability of things to be able to do.  Nooks Tablet doesn't (i.e. no camera feature).

I did not buy into the Kindle because of Amazon, although I tend to use them for shopping from time to time. (don't shot me, someone build an indy store here - one with kidlit and mysteries  ;D

I have found while searching on nook, in kids books some inappropriate books (such as erotica) popping up.  I like Barnes and Noble, but they have a problem with editing out their erotica books (I think it has to do with Smashwords).  Yes, I complained about it.

I still prefer my nook over Kindle.  I cannot believe how many books people say are free on Kindle! 
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Thanks, Liz, for the comparison, between Nook and Kindle.

Since we are leaning towards the Kindle Fire, is there anything that you particularly dislike about it (technical issues), besides the fact it's linked to Amazon?

Mod hat: Do discuss without worrying about getting shot at ... People are free to choose the companies they support. We have several Amazon authors here on the board and many NW folks who are proud of a home-grown company. So please carry on. It's an enlightening discussion for me, who only got her first cheapie pay-as-you-go cell phone last year (since we were moving).

Vijaya

Offline cindoh

• Poster Plus
    • Second Set of Eyes
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 04:59 PM »
I don't have a Kindle Fire, but I will say that I love my Kindle with keyboard, as does my 12-year-old (a girl who has no interest in games, but is a huge reader, like I am.) I don't want to get into a fight over Amazon either, except to say there are no bookstores of any sort nearby and my reading has increased tremendously since I got my Kindle--as has my book buying, which benefits authors.
For me, the Kindle is extremely easy to use, well-made and sturdy, and easy on my eyes since it's not backlit, which is  important since I sit in front of a computer all day. I live in California and love to read in the sun when I can, so it's perfect for that, and I use the lighted cover at night. I definitely prefer reading on my Kindle over physical books at this point.

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Cindoh, I want your kindle! It sounds perfect for me. How does it work if two people in the same family have a kindle? Can you swap books or is it on the Amazon cloud somewhere so either device can access it? I assume it would be like a physical book, where if one device loads it, it is unavailable on the second device.

One of the other reasons we're looking into this is our bookshelves are again overflowing ... there are lots of titles we buy that are not available at the library.

Vijaya

Offline cindoh

• Poster Plus
    • Second Set of Eyes
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 06:15 PM »
We're now a three Kindle family, as my husband, reluctantly, got one but now likes it because he can read in bed without waking me up (I like that too.) We're all on the same account, under my email address, and although my daughter can click on something and download it, she has to ask me first. You decide which device you want the downloaded book to go to, so it shows up on your home page when you open it. But it's available in everyone's archives, which is in a file on each device, so you can get any of the books that have been downloaded to the account at any time. (My daughter and I share MG and YA all the time--it's often hard for me to decide whose device to download it to first.) You also have your complete file on the computer (cloud?? I don't know) on your Amazon account, so if you delete something from your device by mistake or change your mind you can go back and download it again. There's also a nice feature that tells you if you've already downloaded (paid!) for something, so you don't get charged twice, because sometimes I lose track. One thing I love about the Kindle is the Daily Deals, where books are often $1.99. I buy one or two a week, at least, and believe I've ordered some Blueboarder books that way.
I've only borrowed from the library a few times with my Kindle, but it was easy. I think the main issue was that there's not that much available yet, at least where we live. But now whenever my daughter says she desperately needs a $12.99 book that's a sequel, I at least check first to see if we can borrow it.

Also, Vijaya, two people can be reading the same book at the same time on different devices. The only restriction comes when you loan a book to someone else with a Kindle. They have a few weeks to read it and you can't read it at the same time.

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 06:48 PM »
I live where there are no bookstores.  I buy from from Amazon, I bought nook before kindle fire existed.  At the same time android tablets are now almost the same price and more flexible IMO.  You can get reading apps on a tablet.  I have nothing against Apple except I cannot afford their prices.

Offline Bobi Martin

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Writers open the world to readers.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 09:06 PM »
You can "borrow" books from your library with both the Nook (which had this first) and the Kindle. You can also "share" books with other people who own your same device (Nook to Nook or Kindle to Kindle).  An easy way to compare the features most important to you is to type Nook vs Kindle vs tablet in your browser and read the articles that come up in reputable magazines.
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com

What Are Weather Fronts? (2015)
The Muscles in Your Body (2015)
Kidding Around San Francisco

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 06:58 AM »
All of this is so helpful. Thank you so much. Our library has a digital lending service also ... so I won't kill our book budget.
Too many wants :)

Vijaya

Offline Rachel

• Poster Plus
    • grinti.com
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Since we are leaning towards the Kindle Fire, is there anything that you particularly dislike about it (technical issues), besides the fact it's linked to Amazon?
Not really, the Kindle Fire is pretty nice. I did a Kindle presentation at work yesterday, and the main thing we noticed was it got pretty warm even though we weren't really doing much (I think someone played a few videos on Youtube). But someone said she didn't have that problem -- she also has it in a case, though, and ours isn't in one, so with a case you probably wouldn't notice. The newest Fire (HD) has a nicer screen, which may make it more comfortable to read on, but does cost more. If you go with the Fire, you'll want to check out the blog Books on the Knob -- they post about very cheap and free Kindle books: http://blog.booksontheknob.org/p/free-kindle-books.html

If you get a regular black and white e-ink Kindle for yourself at some point, I'd recommend the Paperwhite over the cheapest one, the little toggle button is kind of a pain to use and the touch screen is much easier. And the Paperwhite's screen is nicer, with more contrast than the older versions.

I've only borrowed from the library a few times with my Kindle, but it was easy. I think the main issue was that there's not that much available yet, at least where we live.
Yes, unfortunately ebook lending at libraries is limited by what's available and also the added cost. (It can cost up to $90 for one library copy of an ebook that would cost a regular buyer maybe $10-15.)

Offline Liz Straw

• Liz
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • That was a yummy book!
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Samsung Galaxy Tablet, with a little shopping can be bought for the same price as a Kindle.  Just thought I would toss that in... it is around the same size as the Kindle Fire/Nook Tablet.

both nook and kindle can use the overdrive app to download books from the library.  I live in a small town and find that most of the e-books tend to be either best sellers, or romances that do not appeal to me.  I have been able to borrow about three books in the year I have owned my nook. :(

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:45 PM by lizstraw »

Offline AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Like lizstraw, borrowing from the library all depends. The new Overdrive format is much easier to use (meaning: I never could figure out the old one) but every single newer book I request has a long waiting list, they might have one of a series but none of the others, or several in a series but not the crucial middle one. Frex, the Overdrive our state subscribes to has the first volume of The Princess Diaries but none of the others.

As a writer I think that makes sense from a marketing perspective: get 'em hooked and then make 'em buy the rest.

As a reader, however... :taz:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:47 AM by AnneB »