Author Topic: character design feedback  (Read 378 times)

Offline MichaelBlackbourn

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • Cindercast - the path from idea to illustrated story
character design feedback
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Just wondering if you have a second to give some feedback as to which design you guys prefer for my little crab character.

If you look here:
http://www.cindercast.com/p/pencil.html

and here:
http://www.cindercast.com/p/paint.html

There a bunch of different takes on the little crab.  The biggest difference is really in the face, particularly the eyes.  Some have lids, some have just a floating pupil, some have no real pupil, some have rounded or pointy 'brows'.

The inspiration for this character was my cat and he's going to act quite cat-like, that's where the pointy 'brows' came from originally, it was a way to put 'ears' on a crab.

Personally I'm partial to my most recent efforts which can be seen in the top two images in the first link (the pencil images).

Thanks.

Mike

Offline Bobi Martin

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Writers open the world to readers.
Re: character design feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:56 PM »
The pencil crab looks crankier. The painted crab looked a little spaced out.  Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com

Kidding Around San Francisco
All About Scarecrows

Offline Anthony

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • You know, for kids!
    • Anthony Piraino
Re: character design feedback
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:44 AM »
I also like the top two pencil versions the best, as long as they fit his personality. Like Bobi said, he looks "crankier" - it's because of the pointy, arched eyebrows coming down in the middle. Eyebrows are a big part of what gives a character their expression, and the shape of these make him look grumpy. So, as long as he's a grumpy crab, it's good.

If he's not supposed to be grumpy, but you want to keep a cat ears element, maybe spread out and exaggerate the ridges on his back?