Author Topic: character design feedback  (Read 584 times)

Offline MichaelBlackbourn

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • Cindercast - the path from idea to illustrated story
character design feedback
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Just wondering if you have a second to give some feedback as to which design you guys prefer for my little crab character.

If you look here:
http://www.cindercast.com/p/pencil.html

and here:
http://www.cindercast.com/p/paint.html

There a bunch of different takes on the little crab.  The biggest difference is really in the face, particularly the eyes.  Some have lids, some have just a floating pupil, some have no real pupil, some have rounded or pointy 'brows'.

The inspiration for this character was my cat and he's going to act quite cat-like, that's where the pointy 'brows' came from originally, it was a way to put 'ears' on a crab.

Personally I'm partial to my most recent efforts which can be seen in the top two images in the first link (the pencil images).

Thanks.

Mike

Offline Bobi Martin

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Writers open the world to readers.
Re: character design feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:56 PM »
The pencil crab looks crankier. The painted crab looked a little spaced out.  Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com

The Muscles in Your Body
What Are Air Masses and Weather Fronts?
What are Elections? (Aug. 2015)

Offline Anthony

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • You know, for kids!
    • Anthony Piraino
Re: character design feedback
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:44 AM »
I also like the top two pencil versions the best, as long as they fit his personality. Like Bobi said, he looks "crankier" - it's because of the pointy, arched eyebrows coming down in the middle. Eyebrows are a big part of what gives a character their expression, and the shape of these make him look grumpy. So, as long as he's a grumpy crab, it's good.

If he's not supposed to be grumpy, but you want to keep a cat ears element, maybe spread out and exaggerate the ridges on his back?