Author Topic: Picturebook Dummy class offered at Pratt, NYC campus this winter  (Read 226 times)

Offline Denise M. Cassano

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • Represented by Eden Street Literary
My agent told me about this and I'm very excited: I'm always looking for quality art and writing classes and wanted to pass along some good info: Pratt (NYC campus) is offering a continuing ed class in picturebook making- focusing on the dummy.  The objective of the class is to have a fully fleshed out dummy with interesting characters and appropriate pacing.  You have to bring ideas, and they will give you guidance- sounds great to me- I just registered for it. It's run by editorial director Barabara Lalicki and artist Steve Henry. I'm including the description of the course below, with the link to the Pratt page.

Here is a copy of the description:
Are you an artist with a character in mind? A story to tell? Let an editorial director and an author-illustrator help you express your personal vision and successfully appeal to your audience-children and publishing professionals. Showcasing the essentials of the picture book format, we'll work with you to determine what's best suited to your story. With special focus on character development in art and text, we'll give individual help as you develop a layout with pacing and style. The course goal is to develop a dummy and illustration samples that you can use to present your work for publication. Please Note: Bring at least one character sketch and several story ideas to the first class, as well as drawing materials.

here are the links:

https://www.pratt.edu/eescripts/courseDesc.php?id=PMFA-451

http://www.barbaralalicki.com/#!q---a-about-the-course/ts98c

Hope to see you there!

:yay
www.corndogart.com- View my portfolio and download corresponding critical thinking lessons.
Twitter: @corndogart.com

Offline Dionna

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • One word at a time
Re: Picturebook Dummy class offered at Pratt, NYC campus this winter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 07:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Denise!
Freedom Pen, Pugalicious Press 2012