Author Topic: Gotham Writers in New York  (Read 888 times)

Offline shirley-perry-church

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
  • I love kids' books!
Gotham Writers in New York
« on: November 20, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Hello Fellow Members,

For months now I have been submitting my manuscripts to agents and publishers. I have received very nice rejection letters that tell me that my narratives are interesting, touching, have merit, etc. However, all the nice letters end pretty much the same way: This is not quite right for me, keep trying, don't stop writing, this business is very subjective--someone else might feel differently, and so forth. Well, I am not in it to quit, but I am now thinking that I need a little more in my bag of tricks to get my manuscripts noticed and accepted.

My question is this: has anyone out there had any dealings with Gotham Writers Workshop in New York? I am seriously considering taking a few of their online courses to help me to possibly get noticed. It seems that the courses are reasonably priced and the community will benefit me in terms of meeting others online who are doing what I will be doing. I appreciate your advice in this matter. Thanks  :thankyou
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:34 AM by shirley-perry-church »

Online Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Charles Bewitched: out now!
Re: Gothan Writers in New York
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Taking courses and trying to improve your craft is an important and valuable thing to do at any stage as a writer--if you think taking classes with them will improve your writing, then what is there to lose?  But you say that you are considering taking some of their courses "to help me possibly get noticed."  It sounds like you're expecting something beyond improving your craft to happen as a result--or am I reading something in to your question that isn't there?
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Hello Marissa, thanks for responding. I think that you are reading something in my question that I did not intend. I do not expect anything miraculous to happen as a result of my taking courses. However, I do expect to acquire additional knowledge in various areas of my writing. I feel that the more I learn about my craft, the better my chances will be for having a literary agent look at my work with favor and hopefully acceptance. I know that there is so much more that I can learn that will help me to become a published author via the traditional route. My main question is: Does anyone know anything about Gotham's credibility? I was wondering if anyone had taken or is taking courses from them and could share his or her experience--good or bad--hopefully good.

Online Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Charles Bewitched: out now!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Shirley, you might get more responses to your question if this post were moved to the Education board, which is a much more appropriate location for it. Do you mind if it's moved there?
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Offline Debbie Vilardi

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • Language is so cool!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:04 AM »
I haven't taken a Gotham course, but they do have a good reputation. I'm sure I know people who have, but they may not be in children's writing. Marissa makes a good suggestion about moving your thread to get better responses from those who may be more familiar with Gotham.

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Sorry, Marissa, I am just seeing this. Yes, please move my post. Thanks. And also thanks to you Debbie for responding. I am going to take a course or two. It surely can not hurt :)

Offline brooke.mcintyre

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • @InkedVoices
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Hi Shirley,

I've taken a couple of writing classes from Gotham Writers. Children's Writing I and II. They were very helpful. There are weekly exercises that an instructor will share feedback on, plus you submit your story twice (pretty sure it's twice!) during each class for class and teacher feedback. If you've done a lot of self-study, Children's Writing II may be better for you, as the lecture topics build.

It was helpful to me to break it down by element of craft. I also did meet some women who I've continued to critique with for the past 2.5 years now. :) I think that part depends a lot on the participants and how much effort they make to get to know their classmates.

Several other writers on Inked Voices (my business) have taken Gotham classes and gotten a lot out of them. What children's genre are you writing? PB, ER, MG, YA? If any other thoughts come to mind based on your genre, I will share.

Brooke
-Brooke

Founder of https://www.inkedvoices.com, a site for private online critique groups
Twitter: @inkedvoices

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:12 AM »
Hello Brooke,

Thanks so much for the info. :) I think I am going to enroll in a few courses in January and February. I received my Master's online and I loved the online learning experience. I am working on MG and YA. I am also working on my semi-biography. I have received a lot of rejections from literary agents. With that being said, I would like to see if taking a few courses might help me to improve in areas where I may be weak and do not realize it. 

Again, thanks for sharing.

Shirley

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Sorry, everyone for the misspelling of Gotham. My finger hit that n by mistake. :)

Shirley

Offline brooke.mcintyre

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • @InkedVoices
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 07:43 AM »
No problem at all, I am glad to help. I think Gotham's a pretty good bet for MG and YA. Well-organized, vetted teachers, motivated classmates.

Edited by the Blueboard Management Team to remove unauthorized self promotion. See the Rules of this board on solicitation for further explanation.

http://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?action=faq;sa=show;faqid=3
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:44 AM by Verla Kay »
-Brooke

Founder of https://www.inkedvoices.com, a site for private online critique groups
Twitter: @inkedvoices

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 02:29 PM »
Hi Brooke, that is exactly what I am looking for--well-organized with highly motivated teachers and students.  Thanks again for responding. I will let you know how it goes for me when I get started. I think I will enroll for a course or two after the New Year.

Offline AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
  • SCBWI PAL
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 08:19 AM »
Sorry, everyone for the misspelling of Gotham. My finger hit that n by mistake. :)

Shirley

Shirley, you can fix the typo by pressing the "Modify" button at the top of your first post.

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
  • I love kids' books!
Re: Gotham Writers in New York
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Thanks soooo much AnneB. I type too fast sometimes and it seems that my fingers have a mind of their own. :) It is nice to know that I can now fix a typo.

Offline Olugbemisola

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • SCBWI PAL
  • I write, I make things, I need to get more sleep.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 05:47 PM »
Hi Shirley, so sorry I'm just seeing this! I teach at Gotham, and can answer questions if you still have any!

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Hello Olugbemisola, I have started the Character Development 1 course and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I don't have any questions at this time. I am able to ask questions of my instructor as they arise. But, thanks so much for responding. So far it is a great experience. I am already signed up for my second course, Children's Book Writing. :) Maybe at some point I might get to meet you online there.

Offline Olugbemisola

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • SCBWI PAL
  • I write, I make things, I need to get more sleep.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Oh, great! I'm glad it's going well!  ;D