Author Topic: Spot open in NYC Writing for Children Workshop Spring 2015  (Read 30 times)

Offline vicky-rubin

• New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
  • SCBWI PAL
  • I love kids' books!
Hi, I was in this class for years, until I moved away. I highly recommend it.

Spring Workshop in Writing for Children

One spot left in this popular workshop — now in its 20th year!

INTERESTED IN WRITING FOR CHILDREN?

ALREADY WRITING AND WANT PROFESSIONAL FEEDBACK?

In this workshop, led by award-winning Scholastic author and former Baruch College writing instructor, Marcia Savin, M.A., your work is read aloud, given supportive feedback and receives written comments from Marcia. The class is kept small so that everyone’s work gets heard at every meeting. We also have short in-class exercises and look at outstanding children’s fiction for craft pointers.

Picture Books to YA. Both published and unpublished writers welcome. Revisions encouraged.

Sample areas covered: How to hook the reader on the first page. Learn the difference between surprise and suspense and why suspense is better. How to make characters sympathetic. What is the arc of a
story? When is a work finished?

Time: Alternate Thursdays, 6 – 8 pm (6 meetings)

Place: Apartment in Carroll Gardens (address provided with enrollment)

Class begins: April 2. Runs to June 11.

Fee: $250

Info: Call 718-852-2867 for details or email: msavin2@earthlink.net

“Your class offers a lot of personal attention and more constructive critiques than any other class I’ve been to.” — Iliana Pappas, SCBWI member

Marcia Savin is the author of the young adult novels, The Moon Bridge and Will Lithuania Comstock Please Come to the Courtesy Phone? The Moon Bridge is listed in Best Books for Young Adult Readers, Grades 7–12. Marcia is also a playwright. Her short plays are available on www.seniortheatre.com.