Author Topic: Is anyone doing the ScriptFrenzy?  (Read 6224 times)

MaudeStephany

Is anyone doing the ScriptFrenzy?
« on: March 15, 2008, 08:46 AM »
I received an email from the nice folks who run NaNoWriMo about April's upcoming ScriptFrenzy. The goal? 100 pages in 30 days. ACK - I know that I won't be doing this one, but it sounds like my son's AP will be diving in (for the middle grade school program).

Who's up for scriptwriting?

Maude  :broccoli

Offline Juliarts2003@yahoo.com

• addicted to YA
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Truth, Puffin/Speak, 1/19/2012
    • My website
Re: Is anyone doing the ScriptFrenzy?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 03:24 PM »
I am contemplating it...  :tinkerbellheart  (ooooh... just saw the new smilies & had to use one! or two...  :whitebear   :whitebunny
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

jheart

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:44 PM »
I'm still trying to get over November.  Gotta love NaNo. 

julie

RuffianChick

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:12 PM »
Think I'm going to sit out this year but some year I'd like to give it a try.

RC

Offline Mary Quite Contrary

• Nickname: Hary Mess
  • Poster Plus
  • I have a wall of hair.
    • Humor by MK Hess
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 03:17 PM »
I'm thinking about it. I've never written a script before, and always like to experiment. But 100 pages? I'm afraid I'll get to page 2 and suddenly understand why I've never written a script before.

The new smileys are nice. Except this bunny  :bunnyjump looks like he's had too much  :coffee.

Offline YAchicka

• Poster Plus
  • Don't quit before the miracle!
    • lboylecrompton.com
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 05:26 PM »
I just signed up - Not sure which idea I'll try hacking out - but very excited to be part of anything with the word 'frenzy' in the title.
BLAZE, THE REAL PROM QUEENS OF WESTFIELD HIGH / Sourcebooks 2013, 2014
ADRENALINE CRUSH / FSG 2014
lboylecrompton.com

Offline TexasGirl

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
  • Loving the writing life!
    • USA Today bestselling author Deanna Roy
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 07:30 PM »
I am doing it, and I know nothing about script writing! Frantically reading The Screenwriter's Bible by Trottier (it ROCKS) and downloading Celtx (www.celtx.com) a free script formatting program.

I'm in an unusual place since one of my very good writing buddies is the father of a very up and coming indie director who got excellent reviews at Sundance last year and is now filiming his first feature-length film. My friend loved my 2005 Nano book and told me if I would take the time to write the script, he would hand deliver it to his son.

I figure--might as well take the shot at it! I will probably blow it, since I know so little, but truly the only way to *really* blow it is to not do it at all.
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

• Poster Plus
  • I have a wall of hair.
    • Humor by MK Hess
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:01 PM »
I am doing it, and I know nothing about script writing! Frantically reading The Screenwriter's Bible by Trottier (it ROCKS) and downloading Celtx (www.celtx.com) a free script formatting program.

I'm in an unusual place since one of my very good writing buddies is the father of a very up and coming indie director who got excellent reviews at Sundance last year and is now filiming his first feature-length film. My friend loved my 2005 Nano book and told me if I would take the time to write the script, he would hand deliver it to his son.

I figure--might as well take the shot at it! I will probably blow it, since I know so little, but truly the only way to *really* blow it is to not do it at all.

That sounds like a great opportunity! I downloaded Celtx too (haven't tried to figure out how to use it yet) and checked out a few screenwriting books from the library. I think I'll probably go for it too-- I just don't know whether to adapt a story that's already written or start from scratch. I wonder which would be best for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Maybe I'll see you and YAchicka on the website!  :bluebunny

Offline TexasGirl

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Maybe I'll see you and YAchicka on the website!  :bluebunny

I made you a writing buddy on the Script Frenzy site. I'm "HelenaTheMuse" over there, as that's been my NaNo handle since I joined in 2005. It's also the name of book I'm adapting.

I tried opening Celtx for the first time and just sat there with my mouth open. I have no idea how to use it or what I am doing!  :bangcomputer

Offline YAchicka

• Poster Plus
  • Don't quit before the miracle!
    • lboylecrompton.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 08:27 PM »
I'm registered as lboylec - figured I'd highlight my maiden name 'Boyle,' since it's such a common name in the entertainment biz.
(As IF someone is going to write and ask to see my work based on the assumption that I'm one of 'those' Boyles - hee hee)  :clover
BLAZE, THE REAL PROM QUEENS OF WESTFIELD HIGH / Sourcebooks 2013, 2014
ADRENALINE CRUSH / FSG 2014
lboylecrompton.com

• Poster Plus
  • I have a wall of hair.
    • Humor by MK Hess
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 08:52 PM »
I added you both as writing buddies. If anyone wants to add me, feel free. I'm Virginia Bartolus there, too (I was reading Virginia Woolf's book "Orlando" when I made up my username here and on NaNo last fall). This should be fun and scary! 

-Marianne  :pinkbunny

Offline Just Jodi

• Poster Plus
  • Children's books are hard-bound hugs!
    • www.writerjodimoore.com
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 07:35 AM »
TexasGirl,  thanks for the tip on The Screenwriter's Bible.  I am working on an idea for a YA that my son (who's in musical theatre) tells me would work well for a script.  And since I have no experience with writing one...well, need I say more? 

I would like to look into this frenzy challenge though...can anybody steer me in the right direction?  (I'm a newbie at this...PB's have always been my format...)

Thanks in advance!

And happy St. Patty's Day everybody!  (Love all these new images!)   :irish :love
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

• Poster Plus
  • I have a wall of hair.
    • Humor by MK Hess
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 01:20 PM »
http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/

Here's the link to the website. Click on "About" and it gives a summary.   :irish

Offline CC

• Poster Plus
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 02:30 PM »
A hundred pages might sound dautning, but a script is mostly white space. You read down the page, not across, if that makes sense. The general rule is one page of a screenplay is equal to one minute on the screen. Remember that the camera catches everything. One small nuance of a smile between charaters might be a three whole paragraph of prose in a novel, but in screenplay form it's only a sentence. Because the AUDIENCE supplies the emotion, not the prose.

Forget about creative adjectives and sweeping prose. A script has NO internal thoughts or lengthy descritions of any kind. Start thinking about your story in terms of dialogue and action. That's it. Make one of your characters a big dang liar and that will add subtext as well, which is far more necessary in a script than in a novel.  

I find screenwriting easier than novel writing, frankly. Good luck to everyone. You'll love it or hate it by the end. There's pretty much no middle ground. ;D

(edited for content, spelling)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:30 AM by CC »
OPEN COURT, Knopf

• Poster Plus
  • I have a wall of hair.
    • Humor by MK Hess
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 03:30 PM »
I find screenwriting easier than novel writing, frankly. Good luck to everyone. You'll love it or hate it by the end. There's pretty much no middle ground. ;D

Thanks for all that information/encouragement, CC. I've been experimenting with it today, and while it's a little hard to adjust to all the formatting, it does seem easier. And it's making me look at my novel manuscript in a different way. That's always good.  :bluebunny

Offline CC

• Poster Plus
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 04:33 PM »
Oops, forgot to provide a great screenwriting blog link. This is John August's blog. He wrote the Charlie's Angles screenplays and also Go, and Big Fish.

He's got great craft info. You can also scroll down to the very end of the blog page and look up past topics on storytelling, dialouge, how to introduce characters, ect...

http://johnaugust.com/

:whitebunny
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Offline TexasGirl

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 04:39 PM »
Ohhh, great links. I need anything I can get my hands on.

I stayed up until FOUR A.M. trying to get just one small section of my novel onto notecards as scenes. It's HARD!!! REALLY HARD!!!

So I skipped to the end and started working backwards, and that went a little better. But man, I'm having to cut like mad! No wonder Harry Potter 7 is going to be two movies instead of one (other than, of course, the obvious doubling of ticket sales.)  ;D

Offline H. Pinski

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
    • Writing Outside-the-Book
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 06:29 PM »
If I wasn't knee deep in a revisions I'd jump in :bluebunny. Good luck, Blue Boarders!  :irishbeer keep us posted!

For what it's worth, I love screenwriting. If anyone is looking for a book on the very basic principals of it, Syd Fields, THE FOUNDATIONS of SCREENWRITING is a good one to flip through.

I second that.
I write cross-platform middle grade and YA fiction. Think outside-the-book and join the conversation at http://writerhpinski.tumblr.com/.

Offline Carrie

• Caffeine, please!
  • Poster Plus
  • Caffeine, please!
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 06:52 PM »
I friended a bunch of you over there--I'm Carolinga. :)

I'll most likely fail miserably at this, but at least I'll have fun doing it!

This is a good site--http://www.screenplaymastery.com/. Lots of helpful articles and info there.

Offline Jessica Burkhart

• Poster Plus
  • 25+ EBTs: Essential Beauty Tricks (Kindle)
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 05:17 AM »
I'm thinking about it. I signed up and learned a lot from the forums last year, though.

Offline Just Jodi

• Poster Plus
  • Children's books are hard-bound hugs!
    • www.writerjodimoore.com
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 07:38 AM »
Thanks CC and Virginia! :love
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com