Author Topic: Bar codes with price for indy publishing  (Read 607 times)

Offline sandycarl

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Untried dreams are not given the chance to fail.
    • Sandy Carlson (of Michigan)
Bar codes with price for indy publishing
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else has had problems/experiences/successes with indy publishing and getting a price on the bar code -- so it can get into bookstores?

I bought some bar codes and EANs, but have been unable to put them on my book cover because of my printer.

Does any of this really matter?

Again, wondering about problems, experiences, and successes going this route.
http://www.sandycarlson.com
The Town That Disappeared
Tales of the Lost Schooner
Star Opening
Wildfire

Offline AdamV

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • The Dreamcatcher Adventures
Re: Bar codes with price for indy publishing
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:27 PM »
I think it'd be best to have some kind of bar code. What's the issue with the printer?

Offline TexasGirl

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
  • Loving the writing life!
    • USA Today bestselling author Deanna Roy
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:09 PM »
Your printer should have nothing to do with your bar code on your book, which is a digital file. Are you printing a book yourself? If so, you aren't likely getting a product that can be sold in a store anyway.

You do not need to buy bar codes, only the ISBN numbers. There are a dozen ways to generate a free bar code.

Here is one way for books:

Go to www.lightningsource.com. Under the "File Creation" tab you'll see an option called "Cover template generator."

Since you're not actually creating a book at Lightning Source, it doesn't matter what trim size or color or all that. Just choose stuff. All you need to get right is the ISBN and the price (and check the "put price in bar code.")

Lightning Source will email you the template, and you can discard all of it except the bar code and use it on the back of your book.  A bar code is a bar code. It can be generated by anything and still work.

Now, that will embed the price IN the bar code. If you want to have a price on the back of the book, you just add text above it like you would any other text on your cover.
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

Offline sandycarl

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Untried dreams are not given the chance to fail.
    • Sandy Carlson (of Michigan)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Oh, I am so embarassed! I asked the question, read your two wondeful responses, and then... I think I stepped into a blue telephone booth or something. I just fell away. Anyway, I'd just like to say than you, Texas Girl and AdamV for your answers. I haven't tried lightning source, but may do that... er... some time. Thanks again.
http://www.sandycarlson.com
The Town That Disappeared
Tales of the Lost Schooner
Star Opening
Wildfire