• SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
  • I love kids' books!
    • Rani Iyer- Children's Writer
Apps
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience creating Apps based on science content? I have some questions. Any resources you can find will also be of great help.

Thanks,

Rani

Offline Jerry

• Poster Plus
  • Amazing Activity Interactive eBook - Sping '13
    • Motion City
Re: Apps
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Hi Rani,

I have created educational apps (for the desktop, primarily). Most of these have been reading and math oriented, so not really science related. I am helping somebody develop a game right now that will have elements of science and geography in it.

The cool thing about developing apps right now is that there are all sorts of open-source tools to create your interactivity. It's remarkably easy to convert web content into an app. And more and more javascript tools are coming along to add interactivity to those web pages.

What are you planning to build? Are you looking to app-ify a science textbook? Or are you looking to create a wholly unique science learning experience?

Offline iyerani

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:53 AM »
Thank you, Jerry!

So, I have a manuscript and have story boarded it. What should I do next? Are there any publishers who will convert this to a book? This text has educational science content. I have never done this before. Any directions will be great!

Thank you!

Offline Jerry

• Poster Plus
  • Amazing Activity Interactive eBook - Sping '13
    • Motion City
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:56 AM »
It seems to me there are two ways to go. You can either take your material and shop for a publisher or you can self-publish. Both of these have pros and cons. I think it really comes down to how much you are willing to take on yourself versus how much of the project you want to hand off.

For example on one end of the spectrum is the totally indie, do-it-yourself, self-publisher. Someone that takes responsibility for designing the e-book, getting it on the various e-book platforms, various technical aspects, pricing, marketing, and anything else that comes up. On the other ends is someone that doesn't want to touch any of that. They want to find an agent, that will find them a publisher and they will adapt or change the material to suit them.

I suppose there is a middle ground where you could partner up with an illustrator or a producer that might help create the project.  So I guess the first step would be to figure out what you are willing to take on and what you need to "shop out".

Are the storyboards actual rough page illustrations and layouts? Does this book have any interactivity?

Offline iyerani

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Thanks, Jerry. I definitely do not want to take on doing this project on my own. The story board has all the necessary instructions, how I envision it. The book has minimal interactivity.

I was thinking of a more middle path. Like trying to find publishers who will help us publish this (not self publish).

Does anyone have experience that road?

Thanks!