Author Topic: Does anyone know any kids/teens who read ebooks on their phones?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline AnnH

• Books for Kids and Teens
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • I love to read and write!
Or have any information about this?

Offline H. Pinski

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
    • Writing Outside-the-Book
I don't know any personally, but one of the reasons why Wattpad is so popular with the YA audience it it allows them to get small parts of the novel in stages making it easier to read on, and download to a smartphone.
I write cross-platform middle grade and YA fiction. Think outside-the-book and join the conversation at http://writerhpinski.tumblr.com/.

Offline writerhoo

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
My son says some kids in his LA class downloaded classroom ebooks to their phones to have access during school. These were required reading books and it was used primarily as a reference he says.

Offline ChristineSarmel

• Poster Plus
    • Reading, Writing and Random Thoughts
Mine say no one reads on phones unless they have too - the screen's too small. They'd rather go old school paperback or iPad.

Offline H. Pinski

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
    • Writing Outside-the-Book
Thought this might be helpful. Digital Book World's overview on the PEW study on teens and technology. http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2013/more-teens-have-access-to-tablets-and-smartphones-new-study-shows/
I write cross-platform middle grade and YA fiction. Think outside-the-book and join the conversation at http://writerhpinski.tumblr.com/.

Offline literaticat

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
    • Jennifer Represents
well... I read on my phone sometimes. but I'm not a kid.

(and only when desperate -- kobo or kindle app)
twitter: @literaticat

Offline mollymom103

• Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • "Always do what you are afraid to do.” Emerson
    • Molly Blaisdell
I have several friends with teens who are all about reading wattpad stories on phones.
Plumb Crazy (Swoon Romance, 2014)
Big Fuzzy Coat (MeeGenius!)
Rembrandt and the Boy Who Drew Dogs (Barron's)

www.mollyblaisdell.blogspot.com

Offline Cathie

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region swtexas
They weren't teens but young people, early twenties, when I was on a jury with them. They pulled out their phones and read waiting for the judge or bailiff. I asked one if the screen was too small, I couldn't imagine reading on it. She showed me that she can change the print size if needed, but being young they all agreed they didn't have to.

YA Mystery, The Poisoned Pencil, 2015
TOUGH LUCK, YA suspense, 2012

http://catherineawinn.blogspot.com/

Offline AnnH

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks, everyone! Interesting article, Hilary.

Cathie, you mean people are allowed to have cell phones and use them when they are in the jury box??   :ahh

Offline JonathanMaberry

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Knowledge is power. Read. Become Powerful.
    • Jonathan Maberry
Re: Does anyone know any kids/teens who read ebooks on their phones?
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Most of the kids I know don't use any kind of ereader for books. They prefer print...which is odd. On the other hand, I know a bunch who listen to audiobooks on their iPods.
Jonathan Maberry
New York Times bestselling author, editor, teacher and comic book writer
www.facebook.com/jonathanmaberry
@jonathanmaberry

Offline Christy

• Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • Luck= preparation + opportunity
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:01 AM »
I think it depends on the kid and the size of their phone. But I do know my county is going to 75% of our curriculum to being online and some of the high schools are getting ereaders as well. They said in a few years (sooner than later) that all books and textbooks will be digital. I think once it happens in schools it will change everything because what and how we teach will effect how kids learn to read. It's all kind of crazy how fast things are changing even in my county.

I really hope physical books will always be with us but the reality is that ebooks are cheaper for schools. A textbook for one class is over a $100 whereas they are making ereaders super durable and cheap. I think the real issue will be the tech support.

There was a big discussion in a workshop I went to about which books will be available and one of the things brought up is which book authors have sold or allow digital rights to be used.
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Offline AnnH

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Christy, that is really interesting to know. Wow, $100 for one textbook. Yes, ereaders are getting cheaper and more durable (plus there are all those fun covers you can get for them--I got a hot pink one for $5.00, including shipping! But I digress.)

I remember carrying tons of books from class to class and to and from school. Not sure about reading nonfiction on an ereader, though. I read a lot of fiction on my kindle (though I read paperbacks and hard cover too), but for some reason I don't like to read non-fiction as an ebook.

Offline AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 11:55 AM »
I found this stat of particular interest:
– 30% of teens living in households earning less than $30,000 per year are cell-mostly internet users, compared with just 14% of those in households earning $50,000-$74,999 per year and 24% of those living in households earning $75,000 or more per year.

I suspect the book-buying group would be in the higher-income households that are not cell-mostly internet users. OTOH [she thought gloomily], maybe teens in any income group would just pirate the stuff they read for pleasure, in which case none of this really matters for the content providers.

Offline 217mom

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
  • SCBWI PAL
  • "Keep the child in view"- Charles Dickens
    • Mirka M.G. Green
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Most of the kids I know don't use any kind of ereader for books. They prefer print...which is odd.

Ditto^. I thought it was just that the kids I know are not too with it, so I asked a mom whose kids definitely are, and run with the cool crowd. They own e-readers (the most popular kind) but consider them for "old people." They use their IPhone to read from the Internet, but not books.
And they do read books. One of them even likes "old people's" books.  :bookclub
Anecdotal. I wonder if someone knows of market research on this.

Adding: yes, for text books this will be the way very soon. These are not the  beloved books, but what a kid *must* haul, and it is a reasonable and practical solution. My kids HS is going that-a-way as I type.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:10 PM by 217mom »
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Offline Stephanie Leeth

• Poster Plus
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Mine do, if they don't have a real e-reader or a real book.  It is not their first choice, but they are avid readers and if that's what they have available, they'll use it.
Stephanie Theban aka Leeth

http://storiesreademwritem.blogspot.com

Offline ChristineSarmel

• Poster Plus
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Wow, $100 for one textbook. 

Going digital may not change this as much as it would seem. My teens attend private school so we buy their books. They have iPads and the digital books are available, but
- they aren't a lot cheaper than paper, perhaps $20-30 less, I assume because the cost of the text is more in writing/publishing/editing/formatting than the actual paper
- digital textbooks expire on a 6 to 9 month time frame, which means you have to buy them RIGHT before school or risk your book disappearing in the midst of final exams
-digital copies can't be shared by siblings or sold to friends in the grade below at the end of the year

The biggest advantage of digital by far is the reduced weight. Luckily my offspring have their daddy's athletic leanings so we bought mountain climbing backpacks and they call climbing the stairs with the books on their back part of their training. I do think it could be an issue for a very small student. Fully loaded the packs weigh over 25 pounds.

Offline ChristineSarmel

• Poster Plus
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 11:00 AM »
Interesting article on why only 3% of college students use digital textbooks.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/06/print-textbooks-still-dominate-campus-textbook-market.html

Offline HollySweet

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
    • @hollysweet
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 07:28 PM »
I teach middle school English, and I do have some students who read e-books and fanfiction on their phones. Those that read electronically generally prefer e-readers to phones, but almost all kids in my classes have phones, and very few of them have e-readers. Some read on Kindle or Nook apps that they've downloaded to their laptops, too. In the end, though, most still prefer print.

Offline Veronica

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • My debut novel is being published in 2014!! :)
    • Veronica Bartles
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 09:10 AM »
My 13yo daughter prefers paper books to digital, but my 15yo son and 11yo daughter prefer the ereaders (my 9yo daughter doesn't care, as long as it's something to read).

None of my kids read books on their phones, but my son and oldest daughter are constantly talking about how they don't understand why all of their friends only want to read books on their phones. "The screen is so tiny! How can they even enjoy that??" (They were appalled when I admitted that I sometimes read on my phone too.) - So even though my kids don't do it, I know there's a large group of high school kids who do - at least, in my neck of the woods!

Offline Aimee W.

• is kooky.
  • Poster Plus
  • MADNESS
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 09:52 AM »
Yeah, I think this was sort of a fad when the capability first arrived, but it's passed for the most part...
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Offline anita

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
  • I love kids' books!
    • anita nolan website
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23 PM »
My 14-y-o son prefers to e-read, and he has been reading on the i-Pod Touch. I don't know that it would be his preferred way to read, but he has his favorite book (Hunger Games) on there, and can open it when he wants.

Offline AnnH

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 06:11 PM »
I had queried a teen reviewer about reviewing my latest YA and she asked if I could send her an epub so that she could read it on her phone!  I got one from my publisher and sent it to her. Now I just hope she likes the story!  :)