Author Topic: Series Hickup -- Words of Wisdom Requested  (Read 1197 times)

Offline sandycarl

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Untried dreams are not given the chance to fail.
    • Sandy Carlson (of Michigan)
Series Hickup -- Words of Wisdom Requested
« on: June 26, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Hi Wonderful VK Board Folk.

I wrote a middle grade historical fiction published last March. I have four other middle grade historical fictions in the works, one to come out this summer. (fingers crossed) But I also have a written-20-years-ago-and-revised-unknown-(i.e., lots of)-times middle grade fantasy which is ready to go to print.

My questions are:
1) Should I wait on the fantasy book until my second historical fiction is out in order to continue my historical fiction platform?
2) Is it considered a series if it's only historical fiction by the same author? Or must I promote it in another way, like "The 1800's Series"? Or is it only a series if the same characters are involved?

Thanks.
http://www.sandycarlson.com
The Town That Disappeared
Tales of the Lost Schooner
Star Opening
Wildfire

Offline AmandaSue

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • Mischief of one kind...or another
Re: Series Hickup -- Words of Wisdom Requested
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:02 AM »
I only ever consider it a series if it involves the same characters or the same storyline. I think of Gail Carson Levine. She had Ella Enchanted and the Snow White one (the name escapes me at the moment). They take place in the same fantasy "land" and both retell fairytales. But I wouldn't consider them part of a series.

"Cradle and All" - Summer's Edge Anthology - Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Offline Christy

• Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • Luck= preparation + opportunity
Re: Series Hickup -- Words of Wisdom Requested
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19 AM »
It's hard to say. I would see how your historical fiction works go. If your fans see you as a historical fiction writer, then I would go with that for a period of time until you are ready to break out of that mold. I don't think you need to limit yourself but if you do decide to go another route, you'll need to do some marketing to show your other areas.

As far as a series, books that relate to each other would be a part of a series. If they don't relate in some way, then they would be separate.
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley