Last week I attended a Digital Book World (http://www.digitalbookworld.com/
) webinar, "Digital, Digital First, Simultaneous Publishing – What’s Your Strategy?" and thought I'd share some of the highlights. Though the session focused more on the educational market, there was a ton of relevant info for anyone in publishing. This webinar was conducted by John Prabhu, Vice President, Solutions Architect at SPi Global and it was FREE!
• 44% of ebook readers prefer tablets, up 37% from August 2012
• 1.5 trillion in digital transactions occur each month
• Of media users, 10% are non-screen based, 90% use mutli-platform/multi-channel
• 2013 is the year of enhanced ebooks with robust interactivity
• Digital platforms are profitable and will grow significantly through 2014
• While the gap between print and digital is wider in the educational market, trade ebooks are projected to surpass print by 2017
• Ebook alone is not a digital strategy: Ebooks, apps, website (cross-platform) with focus on adaptive, dynamic, and real-time because people jump to new screens/technology quickly
• Traditional workflow of print first and digital last is not working, much more efficient to be digital first and jump to multi-platform
• Traditional publishing must merge editorial staff with their technology people, get them working together up-front
• “We are not publishing pages but publishing content as assets, which are organized by metadata dynamically into pages”
• Distribution across multiple platforms allows for a more immersive experience
• “The road to the future can be built but not if we insist on building it on models from the past.”
Great webinar! If there's anyone else out there as interested in digital as I am, I would highly recommend signing up for a free membership over at DBW.