Author Topic: ebook royalties for illustrators?  (Read 468 times)

Offline Traci @ITD

• Writer/Illustrator
  • Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • Live, Laugh, Learn
    • Traci Van Wagoner Art & Illustration
ebook royalties for illustrators?
« on: September 13, 2013, 08:14 AM »
I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the illustration section since my question deals with both. I've been pretty silent on the boards lately since I've been pounding the pavement, so to speak, for new work and then doing said work. One of those things being a new ebook I'm illustrating for a new company You Tell Me Stories. They're doing some really cool stuff. I've really enjoyed the project and we're now in discussions for another book with the possibilities of getting royalties.

I've illustrated two traditional picture books, so I understand how advances and royalties work there, but I'm just not sure with an ebook. What is a typical percentage for the illustrator? What about an advance? Has anyone worked with a flat fee up front and a lower royalty rate?

I am stepping into this brave new ebook world with nervous first steps. Thanks for any advice and help you wonderful people can offer.

Traci
Anything Can Happen, Puddle Duck
Jack and the Beanstalk, You Tell Me
Candy Canes in Bethlehem, Pauline Books
www.Tracivanwagoner.com
T:TraciVanWagoner

Offline Wendy Martin

• I draw stuff for food.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region missouri
  • SCBWI PAL
  • Got art?
    • Wendy Martin's Art Blog - blogging the artist's life
Re: ebook royalties for illustrators?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I've been offered e-book illustration opportunities at anywhere from 10% to 25% of gross, no advance. With an average cover price of $2.99 - $5.99 that doesn't add up to much. So far I haven't been excited enough about any of the projects to accept a royalty-only payment. None of the publishers involved was willing to negotiate other payment arrangements. YMMV

Offline Traci @ITD

• Writer/Illustrator
  • Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • Live, Laugh, Learn
    • Traci Van Wagoner Art & Illustration
Re: ebook royalties for illustrators?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Thanks Wendy. This helps give me an idea of what range of percentages I might be able to get or at least expect to maybe get. I'm still not sure if in the long run it will be enough money for the amount of work it takes. My problem is that I love illustrating children's books so much that I'm willing to take a hit on the money, but I must avoid doing that. We all need to make a living and to do that we must stand up as artists and illustrators and insist on getting what we are worth. It is hard though.
Anything Can Happen, Puddle Duck
Jack and the Beanstalk, You Tell Me
Candy Canes in Bethlehem, Pauline Books
www.Tracivanwagoner.com
T:TraciVanWagoner