Author Topic: Resurrecting an Out of Print Book in Digital Format  (Read 473 times)

Offline bjpg

• New Poster
  • I love kids' books!
Resurrecting an Out of Print Book in Digital Format
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:03 AM »
Thanks! Here's my question. My 55-page book for readers ages 10 and up, published in 1969, long out of print, contains 16 lovely b/w drawings of animals and plants. I'd like to resurrect the book as an Amazon eBook. I would be responsible for scanning, reformatting, marketing, etc. The publisher, Prentice-Hall, paid the artist separately--I don't know how much--and held the copyright "only for illustrations for this edition." The artist has died; I assume that his widow now holds the copyright. I'd like to contact her about my scanning the print book.

My question: what would be a reasonable percentage of my royalties to offer her? To simplify bookkeeping, I had in mind sending her a check quarterly, with a royalty statement from Amazon attached.

Thank you!

Offline Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • Practice. Pray. Persist. PATIENCE
    • Reading, Writing, Ruminating
Re: Resurrecting an Out of Print Book in Digital Format
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Bump. Digi-experts, please chime in.
Vijaya
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com (current) www.vijayabodach.com (archived)
Author of 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Offline Shelly

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Do you know what the norm is for royalties in this format? I'd think that's what you'd want to offer...
Maybe some pb authors/illustrators can chime in here and let you know. I don't remember my percentage for ebooks and I don't have my contract or royalty statements with me at the moment.
Mine! Mine! Mine! (Sterling Publishing)

Offline bjpg

• New Poster
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:22 AM »
I was thinking the royalty I would offer might be less than it would be for the creation of new art, but maybe I'm wrong. I'd welcome any thoughts on this.

Offline Laura L. Sullivan

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
    • THE OMNISCIENT THIRD PERSON
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:05 AM »
It would depend what kind of illustrations you were looking for, but could you use royalty free images from a site like Dreamstime, instead of the original art? They have illustrations as well as photos, and you might find something that fits, for a lower price than a percentage for the old art, or the cost of commissioning new art.
Blog: http://lauralsullivan.blogspot.com/
YA: LOVE BY THE MORNING STAR (soon!)
LADIES IN WAITING
MG: Under the Green Hill
Guardian of the Green Hill

Offline bjpg

• New Poster
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Thanks--that's an excellent suggestion. I'll look into that. My husband has been pushing for color photos--I guess today color would be a better choice than b/w, which wasn't widely available back in '69, or perhaps the publisher thought b/w was more appropriate. The artist was Mel Hunter--an excellent choice; he did a great job.