Author Topic: An iPad illustrators circle  (Read 588 times)

Offline Ancient A

• Poster Plus
  • The universe is made of stories! Not atoms!
    • Ancient Amber
An iPad illustrators circle
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:43 AM »
 :paint

How many illustrators are now illustrating on an iPad? I'd love to hear more about your experiences? I'm looking for a better water color app. What is your favorite app (watercolor or not). What sorts of methods do you use when illustrate on the iPad (example: water color, pen and so on)

Have you run into any complications when illustrating on an iPad? I'm sure the illustrations make for great Ebooks but what about when these books go to print? How do they turn out?

As a beginner here: what advice would you give a newbie when it comes to illustrating on an iPad?

Are you a newbie? Are you experienced?

:grouphug2:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:45 AM by ancient amber »
Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive & go & do that because what the world needs is people who come alive!

Offline gimlet

• New Poster
Re: An iPad illustrators circle
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Whew! I got in! Wasn't sure there for a minute!
Hi amber,
I use an iPad and really like Auruyn Ink. It works like watercolor. You can "add water" and "paint on dry paper."
Also, I use Adobe Ideas, Brushes and Sketch Time. There are other programs but I've had the most success with these.
I use the Sensu stylist.
Gim

Offline Ancient A

• Poster Plus
    • Ancient Amber
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Hi gimlet. Right now I am using. Hello Water Color. I'm very very happy with it but I'm concerned about the quality. So, I will check out Auruyn Ink as well as the others you have mentioned.

How long have you been illustrating on an ipad? How did you illustrate before? Have you been published? I'd love to learn more about your experience!

:love5:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:28 PM by ancient amber »
Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive & go & do that because what the world needs is people who come alive!

Offline Mallette

• Digital Illustrator
  • Poster
  • Work hard and someday you'll get there!
    • Mallette Design
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 06:46 PM »
I find it hard to illustrate on the iPad. :(  I have an iPad 2 and I'm so used to resting my palm on paper, and I can't do that with the ipad.  I might get the iPad mini 2 since some of the stylus' like Wacom's and Jot Touch 4 have palm rejection.  I need to practice more with the iPad I think. :)  My favorite app is ProCreate and Sketchbook Pro so far...I still like my Cintiq tho :)

Offline Ancient A

• Poster Plus
    • Ancient Amber
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Mallete:

I didn't even think about the hand resting on paper! So, here is why- when I first started illustrating on the ipad I didn't use a pen (okay they didn't look great but they did get better with practice) but the point was to get me used to the new device and approach. I guess I didn't realize it but I am now illustrate with out resting my wrist lol. I am also finding that sometimes I prefer my finger too! It does give your hand a work out, ha ha.

Your work is so beautiful and detailed! I'm not sure how that works out for ipad either? Have you tried the app Pen & Ink? It has a free trail and then you purchase more brushes if you like the app.

:spock

Offline Mallette

• Digital Illustrator
  • Poster
  • Work hard and someday you'll get there!
    • Mallette Design
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:31 PM »
Ancient A: 

I'll have to try that Pen and Ink app you suggested.  I do make detailed images in Photoshop, but I have seen Will Terry draw somewhat detailed images with the iPad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFM34BoW3vs  So I guess I'll have to practice more and possibly show my results on these message boards and my blog in the near future. :)   :catmoon:

Offline Ancient A

• Poster Plus
    • Ancient Amber
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:21 PM »
How did you like Pen & Ink?!

Offline nathaniel newton

• New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • For the love of art
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Pen and Ink app would work wonderfully with iPen 2

Offline Noah B. Wilson

• New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • VIKING BUNNIES!
    • Viking Bunnies
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 02:54 PM »
I do all my artwork in Adobe Flash. It?s a great way to lay out your entire book, then you can go from their to pretty much anywhere: print, web, Mobile App ... not really sure what else there is.