Author Topic: Paper size problem  (Read 464 times)

Offline kara-donohoe

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
  • I love kids' books!
Paper size problem
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:41 AM »
Hi there,

I was just going through the check list for sending off manuscript submissions and decided to check that my printing paper fit the required dimensions for the US (8.5"x11"). It doesn't :aah. In Ireland we use the international standard (ISO) which is  8.3"x11.7".

Hopefully someone could let me know if editors are very picky about this before I go on a mad paper finding quest.  :trench :pages:.

Thanks!
Kara

Offline Rachel

• Poster Plus
    • grinti.com
Re: Paper size problem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:32 AM »
I don't think anyone will be picky, particularly when they know it's an international submission. The requirement is just to standardize things, so people aren't printing on all kinds of unusual sizes. I say don't go to extra effort to track down the paper.

Also, so few places are requiring paper submissions these days, and I know some of the ones that do will make an exception for people mailing submissions overseas. That might be something to ask about first before spending the postage!
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Offline kara-donohoe

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Thanks Rachel, I imagine you are right. Knowing it came from over sees should be enough to explain the small size difference. I suppose there are so many dos and don'ts that we are told could potentially put an editor off I thought I'd error on the side of caution first. I want to send it to only one or two US publishers at this point and they have stated they want snail mail postage. Pity, as email would have been easier.

thanks again!

Offline angela

• SCBWI Regional Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
    • Angela Cerrito
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:56 PM »
I agree. Avoid the mad paper quest. US publishers will understand.
best of luck with your submissions
www.angelacerrito.com
Blog "Collecting my thoughts"
http://www.angelacerrito.com/collecting-my-thoughts
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

Offline olmue

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
    • Der Buchwald
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 04:51 AM »
I submitted a few things on paper (very few--most agents prefer e-mail these days) to US agents from Germany on A-4 paper, and never had a problem. Just make it neat and professional--the MOST important thing is to be non-distracting so they can read the content. They aren't so interested in the paper. :)