Author Topic: About Your Favorite Smilies  (Read 628 times)

Offline Verla Kay

• Chief Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • Administrator
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
  • Logon Help Link --->
    • Verla Kay's Website
About Your Favorite Smilies
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:44 PM »
Hi, Everyone,

We have gotten too many smilies on the first page, making it more difficult for people to easily post on the board. I'm going to be moving a lot of them to the "More" page - a pop-up page where the bulk of the smilies reside. (The MORE button is on the bottom left corner of all of the smilies you see when you click on the REPLY or when you are going to START A NEW TOPIC.)

My worry is that I will move YOUR favorites off of this main page. So if you have some that you REALLY don't want on the second, pop-up page, please put them in this thread.

For instance, I regularly use these smilies and need them on this first page:

:bewildered: :shrug: :love5: :spaz :ha :sigh :cry2 :sun :bluesad: :nanana: :pp :gaah :taunt: :hug :dr :curtsy: :guns :fury :skull :woo :ceilingdance :chickendance :partytime :hairdude :grrr :trench :eyeballs: :old :typing :flowers2 :invisible :hiding :oi :oops :) :snork: :yay :star2 :! :haha :thankyou :grouphug2: :poopfan :ranting: :voodoo :drink :breakfast :pills :check :trenchcoat :yeah :lol5 :beating :aah :fireworks :slap :mademe :hiding3 :eb

Please add (in a reply to this message) any other smilies that YOU regularly use and want to stay on this first page. I will try to keep as many of the ones you folks use on a regular basis on this page as I can while still shortening the list as much as possible.
Verla Kay

LOG ON PROBLEMS? Use this link to submit a Trouble Ticket to Verla Kay:

http://www.verlakay.com/contact-form-2/

Offline Anne Marie

• SCBWI Regional Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • SCBWI PAL
  • What is supposed to go here?
    • Anne Marie Pace
Re: About Your Favorite Smilies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Can we have a regular smilie for smiles instead of the word "smile"?  It seems sarcastic to me. :)
PIGLOO (Henry Holt, 2016)
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA HOSTS A SLEEPOVER (Disney-Hyperion, 2013)
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA (Disney-Hyperion, 2012)
among others

Offline Artemesia

• Official Shenaniganizer
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • Administrator
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
  • It's a bird! It's a plane! It's..oh, it IS a bird.
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I need this guy. Cuz I'm often perplexed.  :eh2

(and I agree with Anne Marie. :) <--- It's mocking me. Make it stop...  :spaz )

Also I need this one...for obvious reasons.  :whistle
:chicken KPC#1: Let's Get Cracking! #2: Bok! Bok! Boom! #3: The Birdy Snatchers OUT NOW!! #4: Heroes On The Side DEC 2014

http://cyndimarko.com

Offline dewsanddamps

• Poster Plus
  • Moderator Trainee
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:36 PM »
We need the hugs, for sure. I'm very fond of this little guy,  :nanana: , and his cousin, :crazy . And let's keep the cupcake and sparkles handy!
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Offline Mrs. Jones

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:41 PM »
 :gogirl :frypan :snoopy

Okay, so I cheated. Two of those are already on the second page.

Also, the ones I use regularly are the "reminder" smilies. I think you know them all, Verla. If we could put them all together, that would be great. I don't care if they go on the second page, it would just be nice not to hunt for them.

A big:

:grouphug2:  for you for even asking us.
http://twitter.com/EnaJones

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015

Offline JennaWren

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
    • A Mom's World
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:24 PM »
 :eh2 :shrug: :bewildered: :sigh    :aah   :faint :hiding  seem to be my constant state, so I'd love to have them stay put. I agree that :snoopy  should be on page one! And for the grouping of the ones Ena said. And of course,  :wine must be front and center for me!  Plus  :grouphug2: :hug :flowers2  cuz I luves you all so.

Offline Dianna Winget

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
  • I love kids' books!
    • Dianna Dorisi Winget
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Please don't delegate the dancing brocoli to the hidden page. I can't live without him!  :broccoli Here's some others I love.   :poop :flower :fireworks :thankyou
A Smidgen of Sky (Harcourt 2012)
 A Million Ways Home (Scholastic 2014)
 www.diannawinget.com
Twitter@DiannaMWinget

Online AnneB

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 07:38 PM »
 :eh2 (as Arty and Jenna said). Also gotta have sparklies!! :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 and :goldstar and weather :lightning: and :coffee3: <--- tea, coffee, Bailey's Irish Cream, depending on context.

And it would be nice if you could corral all the aminals  :bunny2 :bunnyrun :whitebunny :cat :chesirecat :chickendance :chicken :cow :sheep :goat :bear2 :snoopy :redbaron :fishbowl :hedgehog :frog: :goldfish: :poop :giddyup :horse: :owl :hamster :taz: :moose :blink :turtlego: :walkdog but I realize then you're moving dancing chicken and dancing bunny from the chorus line
 :bananadance :broccoli :carrot :chickendance :whitebunny :pickle :partytime :hairdude and we can't have that...so many possibilities :bewildered:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:50 AM by AnneB »

Offline Mindy Alyse Weiss

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • A long journey - but I'm determined to get there!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Ooh, so many awesome ones! I wish we could have them categorized in easy to click on groups, but we haven't found a mod for that yet. It would be great to click on a word like celebrate or animals and see tons of choices. And everyone can use some  :star2 :fireworks :goldstar :grin3

I'll try not to repeat your faves, Verla--since I know they'll be staying. How about at least one of the good luck emoticons to stay on the first page:  :goodluck

Another vote for making : ) an actual smile instead of :) And for bringing  :snoopy to the main page. Since we congratulate people a lot, I'd love to see one of them back on the main page, too.

Offline Barbara Etlin

• Word Maven
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • tulip greeter and owl at heart
    • my website
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 11:18 PM »
I agree about having an actual smile.

Ones I use a lot are:  :hurrah:   :clover    :partytime    :snoopy   :grouphug2:   

and I intend to use this one a lot:  :owl
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Offline scribble girl

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
  • SCBWI PAL
    • HelenJameson/Scribble Girl
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 04:36 AM »
 :bwa  is one my favorites...and  :thanks2 
And  :fireworks:chickendance Zee chicken is divine....and   :snail is how I feel if I do not get  :coffee3: .....what else?   :haha

Offline olmue

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
    • Der Buchwald
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 05:14 AM »
 ::-) :love5: :-X :dr :hug :banghead :paperbag :yay :grouphug2: :aah :hearts :star2

Offline Marissa Doyle

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • Charles Bewitched: out now!
    • www.marissadoyle.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 09:06 AM »
How about a list of ones that don't get used very often... like  :eyeballs:    :trenchworm    :redbaron    :onTV:    :ladder :mad   :mail   :dollar   :oncomputer   :pages:   :inbox:   :secrets   :busstop   :readthebook:   :embarrassed3   :guitar:     :music:   :bicycle:   :meditate   :spock :batman :paint   :pickme   :eb That would remove most of a line of them.  Also, maybe we could cut down on a few repeats like the multiple LOL ones-- :lol5   :lol3   :lol4   :lmao

I've tried to go in and impose some order on them over the year, so that all the dancing ones are together and so on...
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Offline Verla Kay

• Chief Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • Administrator
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
  • Logon Help Link --->
    • Verla Kay's Website
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 11:26 AM »
I have discovered there is an add-on module that might be able to be put onto the board (IF we can get it to play nicely with SCBWI's database) that would allow us to group the smileys (all but a few basic ones) into TABS across the top of the board. So instead of having them all in a pop-up window, you could open Food, Happy, Sad/Mad, Writing, Animals, etc. I believe this would be IDEAL, IF (and it's a big IF) it would work.

This would NOT be a fast fix, as it (the add-on module) would need to be thoroughly tested first to make sure it wouldn't break the board.
Verla Kay

LOG ON PROBLEMS? Use this link to submit a Trouble Ticket to Verla Kay:

http://www.verlakay.com/contact-form-2/

Offline G.R.

• Poster Plus
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 02:25 PM »
I have discovered there is an add-on module that might be able to be put onto the board (IF we can get it to play nicely with SCBWI's database) that would allow us to group the smileys (all but a few basic ones) into TABS across the top of the board. So instead of having them all in a pop-up window, you could open Food, Happy, Sad/Mad, Writing, Animals, etc. I believe this would be IDEAL, IF (and it's a big IF) it would work.

This would NOT be a fast fix, as it (the add-on module) would need to be thoroughly tested first to make sure it wouldn't break the board.

That would be kinda cool if they could be organized in some way. (If not, no biggie!)

:yup is probably the one I use the most; I'm also partial to  :dr:typing:crossedfingers:-\::-);D , and  :laugh .

Oh, and  :grouphug2:  and  :yay .
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Offline Mindy Alyse Weiss

• Administrator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • A long journey - but I'm determined to get there!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 06:42 PM »
 :yay I hope it'll work, Verla (on a test board first, of course).