Author Topic: Help me teach Chilean kids English with stories?  (Read 368 times)

Offline Franzilla

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
  • Gah!
    • FranziskaGreen.com
Help me teach Chilean kids English with stories?
« on: June 04, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Hello all, I'm thinking about starting fun-based storytime sessions in English here in Chile to children (aged between 4 and 8, potentially with one class for the 4-6 year olds, and another for the 7 and 8 year olds). I'd like to do story-based classes, where I read a picture book, we focus on specific words or ideas within the book, then we do a craft or activity based on the book. The idea is to increase their English understanding in a fun and unusual way.

So what I was wondering was whether there are any good online resources or books that I should know about. I remember when we were in the US, the local librarians and teachers did a great job of using picture books combined with activities/crafts. I'd like to emulate that but with a greater focus on understanding basic words in English.

Thanks for any info you can share!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:36 PM by Franzilla »

Offline CyndyHenzel

• Member.
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
  • SCBWI PAL
    • Cynthia Kennedy Henzel
Re: Help me teach Chilean kids English with stories?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I write for a Korean language school (JLS) that puts out great leveled books for English language learners. Their books are now available at regular online sites under Caramel Tree publications. I love Chile! Sounds like a great idea.
www.cynthiakennedyhenzel.com
MYTH RIDER (4RV Publishing, Feb 2015)
FABULOUS FABERGE EGGS (Learning a-z, 2014)
UNGLUED (Caramel Tree, Jan 2015)

Offline Amanda Coppedge

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • Global Moderator
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
  • It takes courage to enjoy it
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 05:56 PM »
This is a great blog I found, Franzilla: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/

There are a lot of tags to guide you to the most helpful entries.
Children's librarian, YA writer and query letter consultant (http://www.amandacoppedge.com/contact.php)

@amandacoppedge on Twitter

Offline Debbie Vilardi

• SCBWI Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Easy readers may work for this as well as simpler picture books. You could take a book like The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Don't expect them to get caterpillar from it, but the foods and numbers. You can craft cutouts or use toy versions and count with the kids in English. Holding the objects helps a lot. (I have a Masters Degree in ESL). This is how we teach beginning learners vocabulary. Also, speak in English as much as you can. Use gestures and pictures to aide comprehension. Model behaviors yourself too.

Any book used to increase a toddler's vocab will likely work, but be careful of books that feel too babyish. Have fun.

Offline Franzilla

• Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
  • Gah!
    • FranziskaGreen.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Thanks all! I will check out those books and that site too.

Yes, Debbie, one of the problems I had when reading to a group of five/six-year-olds was that some of them clearly felt the books were too young for them (counting books/colour books) even though they were in a different language. Most loved the books, though, thankfully. Then, when I read GUESS HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU? which I thought was quite a visual book (and they did know the phrase 'I love you' already), they thought it was about yoga?!?! All that arm stretching and reaching I guess. Very funny! It's definitely a unique type of teaching, something that needs to be thought about carefully. Thanks for your input!