Author Topic: Accelerated Reader  (Read 160 times)

Offline Darren

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • Read to live
    • Author Page
Accelerated Reader
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Just wondering what strides, if any, those of you with small press publishers or even larger publishers have made in getting an Accelerated Reader designation. Is there anything my publisher can do to improve the chances my book will get such a designation? It seems to me that an A.R. listing is the absolutely critical piece for getting a book into a school library, but maybe I am wrong.

Offline lisa-anderson

• New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
  • I love kids' books!
Re: Accelerated Reader
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:39 AM »
F.Y.I.- We live in what is considered a good public school district, with three kids enrolled in public schools.  My kids are huge readers w/lots of A.R. points beneath their (cumulative) belts.
However,  our school system is doing away w/the entire A.R. program.  I have a feeling this fallout will soon take place in many other schools, as well.
With this in mind, it may not be worth your time!  Hope this helps you out a little...or at least gives you something to think about!               
 :goodluck

Offline Debbie Vilardi

• SCBWI Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • I love kids' books!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Librarians use reviews more than any other metric  - at least, that's what I've seen reported.

My school district uses Lexile scores to help parents select books with their kids. AR doesn't come into play at all.

Offline Amanda Coppedge

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • Global Moderator
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
  • Exit 75, I'm still alive.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 04:02 AM »
School libraries do often take AR or Reading Counts or something similar into account, yes.

They also usually have a very, very small budget and do not buy a ton of books, compared to the public library. Those they do they often get on deep discount such as a warehouse sale from Scholastic. They have to do a lot with a little :(

I've had several school librarians tell me they use Title Wave to do their ordering. titlewave.com
Children's librarian, YA writer and query letter consultant (http://www.amandacoppedge.com/contact.php)

@amandacoppedge on Twitter

Offline Darren

• Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • Read to live
    • Author Page
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 08:46 AM »
For me, AR's only value is in my own community. In other words, the local school districts here do depend heavily on AR. So I would like to have two selling points to try to get into the local schools before the start of the new school year. First, I am local and second would be the AR, if it happens. If it doesn't, and it most likely won't because it is a book from a small publisher, then I will have to depend on school districts showing a willingess to stock a book by a local author. But locally, again, that AR would make a big difference. Outside of my county, I really don't think AR would make a difference (except maybe in the city where I attended school).