familysearch.org

Discussion started on

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
What a fun site this is! It's totally free and I was able to trace my mother's family heritage back 27 generations to Edward I (Longshanks) King of England and his wife, Eleanor de Castle. It goes even further, but that's as far as I followed it (and printed out by taking screen shots of each set of generations) today.  :yeah

P.S. Edited to add: I am not affiliated with the LDS church that runs this site. Please do read their disclaimer info and be sure you are comfortable with it before using their site.
#1 - June 21, 2015, 07:40 PM
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:11 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I found some old photos on there that I didn't know existed (I didn't know those people were alive during photography!). It was fun to see faces for names I'd heard of but never envisioned.
#3 - June 21, 2015, 09:46 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Another fun site, Verla, is puzilla.com. There's a free version and also a pay version. The pay version has more info, but the free version is pretty amazing, too.
#4 - June 22, 2015, 09:10 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
It is amazing. I have researched my family to 1706 courtesy of Family Search. I even located a distant cousin in British Columbia who gave me info on my great-great-great-great grandfather whose first name was Erasmus...what a name!
#5 - June 22, 2015, 10:13 AM

Verla! Thank you!

I was privately adopted though had some contact here and there over the years with birth family. Information given, for whatever reason, was scant and guarded, and what I was told didn't always feel reliable.

I had just enough information to find a few facts about my paternal grandparents from Sicily, and then the site gave me enough information to dig on the maternal side. This is very exciting for me.

Still learning how to navigate the site and haven't figured out how to use the information it provides to root deeper, but so glad you posted about it. Thank you. 
#6 - June 22, 2015, 11:08 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
It's fascinating, isn't it, Arona? I was amazed to discover I'm related to kings of England, kings of Denmark and even emperors of Rome! Now if only a small amount of their wealth had trickled down to me.... :lol5
#7 - June 23, 2015, 12:34 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Ah, but with wealth comes headaches we can't imagine. (Perhaps we could power-through them, though.)

Being related to kings of England and emperors of Rome, specifically, would have put me over the edge. You must have worked hard to trace that. What a thrill. Hmmm...is there a book or two in your future, having garnered this knowledge?
#8 - June 23, 2015, 07:03 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
It's fascinating, isn't it, Arona? I was amazed to discover I'm related to kings of England, kings of Denmark and even emperors of Rome!

I would expect nothing less of you.  :stars3
#9 - June 23, 2015, 09:25 AM

The write word paints a thousand pictures.
Poster Plus
Hi Verla,

I found the family org site a few years ago and was able to find a bit of my family history. Unfortunately I ran into a dead end fairly quickly. It is a very cool site and provides lots of information. I even did some of the volunteer transcribing of documents to add more information to the site. I found that interesting. One set of documents I worked on contained birth and death records from a town in New England during the early 1700s. The handwriting was a challenge to read. I became interested as I saw the names from birth records appearing years later on marriage certificates and then as parents on later birth records. It was like watching the families of an entire community unfold. When I found death records of names I had transcribed earlier, I actually felt sad as though I lost a friend. It helps them add more information, so maybe someday a volunteer will add something that will get me past the dead end in my family research. Anyone who has time should try it. It's interesting and you only do as much or as little as you feel like.

rainchains :horse
#10 - June 23, 2015, 09:57 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
It is a fascinating exercise...though apparently I'm also related to kings (all over Europe, including Bohemia). Maybe all creative types started with royalty (ha).
#11 - June 23, 2015, 10:44 AM
Robin
Teen Books A Guide for Families (Vol. 1&2): https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=robin+prehn
My Blog: http://robinellen.livejournal.com

Poster Plus
http://www.genealogy.com/forum/

Genforum message boards is a place to ask questions of others. Go to a surname forum you are interested in and browse. You can also ask questions about someone you are searching for and either get or provide information to others who are searching the same family branch.
When I joined this site is was free--I think it still is because without signing in I was able to browse and read questions. I think you join to provide comments.
 A few years  ago someone was looking for my maternal great-great grandmother from her family side. I provided them with the name of my gggrandfather which they didn't know. All they knew was she married and went away and had no other record for her. I filled in that missing gap, added her descendants and "cousins" today began contacting each other.
#12 - June 23, 2015, 01:40 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press, 2015
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Cathie, that is so cool! I love hearing about successes like that in tracing family histories!
#13 - June 25, 2015, 09:46 AM
Verla Kay

Members: